Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2021, 03:04 PM
Banned

Default French Press Coffee Maker hints?

I just picked up a French Press for making coffee. What are some hints or tips that make that cup of liquid gold that you have found? Are you doing it as simply as blooming the coffee for 30-45 seconds before adding in the rest of the water or do you do something else to richen the flavor?

For now I will only be using the regular coffee grounds but I will get a grinder and whole beans soon.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:02 PM
AO Sponsor

Grind is very important. A course, even grind from a burr grinder for French Press is what you want.

Amount of coffee to water ratio is a bit subjective based on tastes as is steeping time. I usually go 3 to 4 minutes depending on the coffee I am using.

Best tip I ever got was to bring the water to a full roiling boil and then remove from the heat and allow to cool for 30 seconds or so, basically until all the bubbling stops, before pouring over into your French press. That 30 seconds allows the water temp to drop to virtually perfect for drawing out all the flavour without the bitterness.

Started doing that and it works a lick!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-13-2021, 04:32 PM
Banned

That's a good trick about the water temp. I will definitely try it.

I have been reading quite a bit in to it and there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules for it, just some personal experience about what works for your taste. Very generic rules, add coffee, add water. What happens after that is up to the user.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:51 PM

Cannot go wrong....with French Press.

I use mine with fine grind store coffee.

You get alot of silt in bottom...but tastey.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:08 PM

Dont know what type of press you have but keeping it hot is important in my opinion. Throw a towel or some sort of cosey over the top to keep it warm. I finally bought an insulated press. I add 3 heaping tablespoons of Summit coffee to the press, add hot water, stir it, put the press on plus the towel, wait 4 minutes, then pour. Love it. BEL
Old 02-13-2021, 05:26 PM

As mentioned above . . . I grind the beans fine.
A little longer to press, with a tasty silt. If you're liking a real tasty coffee, boil your water in a neutral vessel - stainless, and use distilled water. I live at sea level and boiling water is 212F/100C. You, in Alberta won't get those water temps. 18% table cream and Demerara dark sugar . . . . drift away
Old 02-13-2021, 05:51 PM
Banned

Grind size seems to be a personal taste thing as well. My Dad likes medium, a couple buddies prefer large, and a few here are fine. I have a little bit of McDonald's grounds left, I imagine they are more on the medium ground size?

I did use it, made.my first one about an hour ago. I definitely used to much coffee as its very dark, yet still very rich. I'll try about 60% of what I tried tomorrow morning.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:32 PM

The above advise is correct on water temp and the start of timing. Add some and let it bloom for 45 seconds. Stir, and fill to the proper amount and let brew for 4 min.

The weight of coffee to water should be 18.2. So weigh your coffee and multiply by 18.2 to get the correct blend (this is in grams)

If you get some good coffee it’s hard to go back. A buddy has a roasting company and their method in online at Alternate Route Coffee Co.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Grind size seems to be a personal taste thing as well. My Dad likes medium, a couple buddies prefer large, and a few here are fine. I have a little bit of McDonald's grounds left, I imagine they are more on the medium ground size?

I did use it, made.my first one about an hour ago. I definitely used to much coffee as its very dark, yet still very rich. I'll try about 60% of what I tried tomorrow morning.
You gotta try fresh ground beans. If you're gonna fuss over coffee with a french press you might as well go all-in. You have to keep the grind quite coarse and it's hard to find pre-ground stuff that is coarse enough.

Here's a decent, cheap adjustable grinder to give it a try:
https://www.stokesstores.com/en/thin...e-grinder.html
Old 02-13-2021, 07:23 PM

I have a heavy bodum french press. Keeps it hot for a very long time

Of you are going to french press get yourself quality coffee beans and grind them. Mcdonalds, folgers etc will.never grace my french press lol
Old 02-13-2021, 07:32 PM

Pour the hot water into the french press and not into the go cup. Especially if you're not a morning person like me and is still 90% asleep in the mornings. A few times I'd pour the hot water, let steep only to come back to find out that I poured the hot water into the go cup and not into the press.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:03 PM

Default Special

A sprinkle of cinnamon on my grind.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Grind is very important. A course, even grind from a burr grinder for French Press is what you want.

Amount of coffee to water ratio is a bit subjective based on tastes as is steeping time. I usually go 3 to 4 minutes depending on the coffee I am using.

Best tip I ever got was to bring the water to a full roiling boil and then remove from the heat and allow to cool for 30 seconds or so, basically until all the bubbling stops, before pouring over into your French press. That 30 seconds allows the water temp to drop to virtually perfect for drawing out all the flavour without the bitterness.

Started doing that and it works a lick!
I was coming to say the same thing about let the water sit 30seconds to 1minute
Old 02-14-2021, 08:50 AM
Banned

I tried it again this morning. I cut back on the coffee but I tried the tricks here and it was way better than yesterdays. Not anywhere near as bitter or as strong. I find the brew this morning much more manageable to drink. It's also much more flavorful than the same grounds through a drip, which is what I expected.

I'm trying to convince the wife to go to Cross Iron to hit up the Stokes there to grab one of those grinders, ten maybe to the Bulk Barn to see what they have for beans.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:49 AM

I like Starbucks French dark roast whole bean from Costco. With some Kirkland Irish cream.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:57 AM

We don't regularly use our Bodum (French Press) but the Keurig crapped out and we are using it multiple times a day now.....until we bring the Keurig back to Costco for a replacement. It's been a couple weeks of French Press coffee.

Grind beans to your liking (we grind medium)
Add ground coffee to your liking
Pour in boiling water...... it may be called a French Press but using words like bloom and waiting for 30 seconds to pour after boiling sounds so......genteel
Place the press on the container and wrap with a towel to keep the heat in
Press after three minutes
Pour and drink while it's hot

Buy a Keurig as soon as you can (I'm so bourgeois)
Old 02-14-2021, 09:59 AM

All the good advice is already in the thread, but I will re-emphasize: the two most important aspects of coffee are first and foremost, the beans. Get a good quality bean. That can mean very expensive, but doesn't have to be. My go-to coffee for the last 20 years and still my favorite, is West Coast Dark Roast, President's Choice from Super Store or No Frills. Right now, I have some very amazing and hideously expensive beans I brought back from Bolivia grown in the Yungas region. Tirebob can tell you about them, he has been doing quad shots of espresso with his. I prefer an Americano usually. But buy beans you like, and grind them yourself. Don't freeze the beans either, but keep them airtight. Oxygen and moisture wreck them.

The second thing is, get a good burr grinder so you can control the grind. I have a Breville, good unit and worth the price.

I don't use a French press, prefer an old Italian Mocha pot. Works for me.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-14-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I tried it again this morning. I cut back on the coffee but I tried the tricks here and it was way better than yesterdays. Not anywhere near as bitter or as strong. I find the brew this morning much more manageable to drink. It's also much more flavorful than the same grounds through a drip, which is what I expected.

I'm trying to convince the wife to go to Cross Iron to hit up the Stokes there to grab one of those grinders, ten maybe to the Bulk Barn to see what they have for beans.
Some of my favorite whole bean coffees

Kicking horse
Rampage coffee co.
Local roaster of various home brands
Black Rifle
Old 02-14-2021, 10:06 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
All the good advice is already in the thread, but I will re-emphasize: the two most important aspects of coffee are first and foremost, the beans. Get a good quality bean. That can mean very expensive, but doesn't have to be. My go-to coffee for the last 20 years and still my favorite, is West Coast Dark Roast, President's Choice from Super Store or No Frills. Right now, I have some very amazing and hideously expensive beans I brought back from Bolivia grown in the Yungas region. Tirebob can tell you about them, he has been doing quad shots of espresso with his. I prefer an Americano usually. But buy beans you like, and grind them yourself. Don't freeze the beans either, but keep them airtight. Oxygen and moisture wreck them.

The second thing is, get a good burr grinder so you can control the grind. I have a Breville, good unit and worth the price.

I don't use a French press, prefer an old Italian Mocha pot. Works for me.
Our taste buds and equipment choice are the similar, Bodom, Breville burr grinder and the same West Coast dark beans.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:10 AM

Burr Grinder is super important . Way better flavor then the blade style grinders
Old 02-14-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post
As mentioned above . . . I grind the beans fine.
A little longer to press, with a tasty silt. If you're liking a real tasty coffee, boil your water in a neutral vessel - stainless, and use distilled water. I live at sea level and boiling water is 212F/100C. You, in Alberta won't get those water temps. 18% table cream and Demerara dark sugar . . . . drift away
You make it sound like we can't have hot water here lol. I live at almost 5000' and water boils at 202F/94C. You can just leave the water on the stove past the boiling temperature and it will get as hot as your burner will allow.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Our taste buds and equipment choice are the similar, Bodom, Breville burr grinder and the same West Coast dark beans.
That West Coast Dark Roast is a blend of Arabica from Sumatra, Ethiopia and Kenya, and it is a really really good coffee and an excellent price. I have used beans from various places that are 4 and 5x the price, and I enjoy them, but I am always looking forward to going back to the WCDR.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-14-2021, 10:38 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I have some very amazing and hideously expensive beans I brought back from Bolivia grown in the Yungas region. Tirebob can tell you about them, he has been doing quad shots of espresso with his. I prefer an Americano usually.
Some amazing espresso pulls happening in my house right now! We need to start an importation biz my friend, if only as an excuse to be in these beans for our regular personal consumption!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-14-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
You make it sound like we can't have hot water here lol. I live at almost 5000' and water boils at 202F/94C. You can just leave the water on the stove past the boiling temperature and it will get as hot as your burner will allow.
I am wrong on this point. On a stove top,water cannot heat beyond its boiling point.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Some amazing espresso pulls happening in my house right now! We need to start an importation biz my friend, if only as an excuse to be in these beans for our regular personal consumption!
That little bag I sent you cost 100 Bs (Bolivianos), about $20 Cdn. You do the math and get back to me....

Old 02-14-2021, 12:06 PM

Only thing I could add is to keep your beans and grind in sealed containers. If you are trying different brands, which I recommend, go smaller quantity. Large quantity in storage is yuk. My fav is Kickass.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I am wrong on this point. On a stove top,water cannot heat beyond its boiling point.
What took so long?
Old 02-14-2021, 12:50 PM

If i may Add.
fresh beans from Jamaica ,Blue Mountain is one of the best beans If you can get it. Found out about this coffee on a cruise down there,and brought some fresh home.
as mentioned, if to fine of ground you so get silt but it really is still kickass compared to even a BUNN coffee maker
Old 02-14-2021, 02:49 PM

Agree, Blue Mountain beans are very good, one of my favorites, next to Kona.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Screw a lid on tight and it will....