Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 08:43 PM

Default Natural Gas or Electric Cooking Range

What the thought out there? Hook-up would be small. What to look out for, or to stay away from? BTU's? Have always had electric, but was thinking on trying a gas range. I know if you look on line, you get more bad fumes in your house than using electric. But if you have a good range hood that would help to get rid of them. All input would be appreciated!
Old 02-21-2021, 09:27 PM

Bare in mind most good range hoods are very noisy. Gas does stain white cupboards. We just switched from gas to induction, we love it! Way quicker than gas, still trying to get settings figured out. But so far we really like it.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:32 PM

May I ask what brand and model?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:23 PM

I love my gas wouldn't be without it. . Gas and cast iron just go well togeather. I have 4 kids and prep every meal from scratch, usually in cast pans or pots. Good range hood is important if you do a lot of cooking. I can see a draw for electric oven but not a range. If i am looking to see what works best i usually look to industry for ideas. what do comercial kitchens use?
Simple quality gas range.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:54 PM

Have used gas for over 35 years and would not go back to electric. Unlike a post above, have never experienced any smell or yellowing of white cupboards. In a previous kitchen reno we put in off white cupboards.........no yellowing and in our new house with off white cupboards, again no yellowing. Instant high, instant medium, instant low temperatures easy clean..............go with stainless, stay away from any ceramic coated ranges. I make an unqualified guess at saying gas is more economical than electric.

If the power goes out................strike a match and light your gas burners.

In a new build, consider a 36 inch range instead of the 30.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:05 AM

Electric oven for dry heat and gas cook top is nice.
You know what though... I’ve got an infrared cooktop, just a cheap one nothing fancy and I can cook anything I want. It’s a poor tradesman who blames his tools
Old 02-22-2021, 08:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnme View Post
Bare in mind most good range hoods are very noisy. Gas does stain white cupboards. We just switched from gas to induction, we love it! Way quicker than gas, still trying to get settings figured out. But so far we really like it.
If you live in the Hinton or Edson area there's a very good chance that you were burning Nat gas with h2s in it.
I built the diffusion bottles up in the hills for TransCanada to dilute the h2s with natural gas.
Crazy **** I know.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:01 AM

You will never find a good chef that will cook without natural gas. Much better control of heat on pot or pan. Lastly Way cheaper than electric range and do not have to pay ALL the power line fees.
PS when you have a power failure will help to warm your home.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:15 AM

We have a double wolf gas unit here, its old school possibly from 1960 or close, have a new main gas valve here, just in case the original stops working, but still works better than the new models out there with electronic systems.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 AM

Gas or nothing. Since switching the wife will never go back to electric.

There is a very light odor when you start the oven every once in a while, but the range hood takes care of that quickly. If you turn on the exhaust fan first there is zero smell.

We have white cupboards and no staining or discoloration.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 AM

We went induction and like it. It's fast and efficient but your copper and aluminum pans won't work on it
Old 02-22-2021, 11:06 AM

I like the gas range, electric oven. If my wife was the one voting now it would be induction stove top with a wall height electric over. I have used induction for the first time recently and have to admit they are pretty slick. Not slick enough to spend a ton converting our 6 burner gas stove top and electric oven but if building new it would be in the running. What surprised me about the induction is how well it worked with cast iron pans.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-22-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:45 AM

Switched to gas 6 months ago and never been happier, and wife also, lol! Way better Heath control, way cleaned pots and pans( nothing burns to them from the bottom), and we went with gas oven as well. Terrific results! We got the GE Monogram range.
And don’t worry about yellowing- there is no more sulphur in the gas, that’s an old story...
You do need a good range hood, we went with the Ventahood unit.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:06 PM

We too switched from electric to a natural gas range a couple years ago and its wonderful. Instant heat when you want it and OFF when you want it off. Heat regulation is also so beneficial. There can sometimes be a faint odor when using the oven, yet using the fan all but eliminates it...Wouldn't go back having experienced it now.
*LG stainless - 5 burner
Old 02-22-2021, 02:42 PM

Induction will give gas a run for its money. We used to have your typical electric for years. Went to induction a couple of years ago and there is no comparison.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:33 PM

Thanks Everyone for your feedback!!! We had a glass top before! And Just got a Frigetaire Gallery Unit! Bought it 3 weeks ago. took it back today! Loved the
induction top! But this range was giving us error codes, then last night would not even turn on! Unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started! But sorry it went back! So still looking prob for a gas range.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:52 PM

We have a 48" gas range and gas oven.

The oven would be better if it was electric IMO.

The gas range top, however, is the way to go for control, quick heat, etc...

There is no smell, no discoloration or anything like that at all ... gas appliances today are not like yesteryears - safe, clean and trouble free.

Don't buy a Bertazzoni ......... no customer service in Canada. Viking or Wolf have been good to me, the Bertazzoni, not so much.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:52 PM

double post ............. those Russians are hacking AO again !!!!!!! trying to steal the election !!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Induction will give gas a run for its money. We used to have your typical electric for years. Went to induction a couple of years ago and there is no comparison.
>>
Give gas a run for its money you say, interesting. I've never used an induction system.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:35 PM

Gas gets the winning vote because i can use it if the power goes out.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
Give gas a run for its money you say, interesting. I've never used an induction system.
Love love love my induction. I went with induction for the fact that retrofitting a gas line was going to be a major cost and reno.One caveat is a good one is not super cheap and you get what you pay for.My parents bought a cheaper one I think a Frigidaire this year and they said it does not work as well as mine.Does not get as hot and does not have as many temperature adjustments so can't fine tune to a low simmer very well and does not boil water as fast
Old 02-22-2021, 07:16 PM

If you want to check out just how great induction works go buy a single burner induction hot plate. At about 60 bucks they are a cheap way to test drive induction. After using the regular electric hot plates and gas burners in hunting camp for decades I was amazed at how much better the induction worked. You can heat a cast iron skillet to sear steak hot and the handle is still cold enough to pick up with you bare hand. From eggs to pork chops it cooked everything perfectly and it perked a 20 cup stainless pot in a third the time the Coleman took. A full high quality induction stove top works even better.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
Love love love my induction. I went with induction for the fact that retrofitting a gas line was going to be a major cost and reno.One caveat is a good one is not super cheap and you get what you pay for.My parents bought a cheaper one I think a Frigidaire this year and they said it does not work as well as mine.Does not get as hot and does not have as many temperature adjustments so can't fine tune to a low simmer very well and does not boil water as fast
We liked it a lot ourselves ( induction ). But it just did not work out, had the gas fitter come in tonight and said it Would be low cost. He also noted talking with a appliance repairman he said buy anything other than Frigidair!!! So I was happy we took it back!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you want to check out just how great induction works go buy a single burner induction hot plate. At about 60 bucks they are a cheap way to test drive induction. After using the regular electric hot plates and gas burners in hunting camp for decades I was amazed at how much better the induction worked. You can heat a cast iron skillet to sear steak hot and the handle is still cold enough to pick up with you bare hand. From eggs to pork chops it cooked everything perfectly and it perked a 20 cup stainless pot in a third the time the Coleman took. A full high quality induction stove top works even better.
Thanks Dean2!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
It will sure do, especially when it breaks down.... the cost to fix those induction units is prohibiting....
Old 02-22-2021, 08:06 PM

Interesting story for us. We got hooked on induction commercials for the single burner one that is sold. Bought one for the trailer as we figured it would be good to have. We already had cast iron and steel pots and pans so no issues there. Turns out we used it a lot camping and is still used today. One day the wife said with just the 2 of us no more kids at home and we never cook in the oven any more just in the counter top oven why don't we just get a nice 2 burner induction top for the kitchen. We looked at induction ranges and ouch so we bought one of the better rated 2 burner cook tops. i got a large piece of ceramic tile that fits the top of the oven and the induction top fits nicely and looks great. We have been using it for several years and would never go back to an electric at not sure about gas. Just make sure you have the pots and pans or you will need them too. In our case we can still remove it and the ceramic top if we need to use the oven for it to ventilate but so far has not happened. One of our better kitchen investments or if you are going for it all definitely consider induction.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:19 PM

Nothing beats gas
Old 02-22-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
>>
Thank you for sharing. I appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:43 PM

What I have heard that the circuit board cannot take the heat, leading to Melfunctions . You look on line for reviews and it all over the place! How does that help? Build a truck that can run, then a cooking range! Sorry what a piece of sh&t they are putting out there today.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:06 PM

This is the one I went with, and highly recommend. There's a reason it's out of stock.

https://www.costco.ca/caf%c3%a9-30-i...100671681.html

A gas range with electric convection oven is truly the best of both worlds.
Instant, infinite heat control on top with the gas. I can Sous vide steaks easily to the degree.
The Wifi Connect is pretty handy too.