Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2021, 06:37 AM

Default The policeman hugged me.

Peronally, I have always believed that the hunting was better the further I got from my home in Southern Alberta.

I was on a South American hunting forum many years ago and got in contact with a chap named Lorenzo. He lived in Uruguay and he and his buddies were thinking of getting into the guiding business.

Lorenzo sent me an email inviting me and a guest to come down and hunt for a week in his 'lovely little country'. (His words and he was absolutely correct in the description). They would drive us all around the country and we could hunt wild boar, axis deer, waterfowl, doves and various assorted varmints. Our only cost would be shotgun shells at $11.00 a box. I accepted, of course.

But then I had to find a partner. Normally I would have taken my lady but our little dog was very old and we did not want to leave her alone with someone else.

I asked most of my friends, but like trying to get them to go to Africa - no luck at all. (Speaking of Africa - I could not get any of my amigos to go on a leopard hunt @$112.00 Canadian a day for 14 days. A stranger and I both shot leopards on day 7)

One buddy told me he would not go as it would cost too much money if he shot too many shotgun shells. Sheesh.

A friend of a friend from B.C. came along and we had a fabulous week of hunting in Urugauy. While I was there they showed me a video of hunting water buffalo in the north. That got me very excited and I told them that if they ever did that again, I would love to also do that.

A year or two later my Uruguayan friends contacted me. They had gone to the north of the country just a few miles south of Brazil and about the same distance from Argentina and had arranged to hunt buffalo.

I would have to get a partner and they would charge me $2,100 for a seven day hunt. Once again I asked my amigos to go hunting with me. Only this time they would have to pay $2,100 U.S. As you can imagine, I was again, turned down. One chap refused to hunt an animal that pulls ploughs.

I mentioned the hunt to an acuaintance from New York who had hunted deer with me in 1999. He immediately said he would come. I later told my long suffering wife that George was coming with me.

She was shocked and told me what I already knew. George was a jerk and we already knew that because of his behaviour when I took him hunting on a Hunter Host deal. I agreed but stated that Lorenzo needed two hunters to make the trip viable.

Lorenzo did not need a deposit as we, by then, were great friends. (Actually, I have never met nicer folks than those people in that country)

A couple of weeks before we were to leave, Ol' George found out that he could not bring a big rifle into Uruguay. A person could bring a rifle big enough to shoot deer but not those huge 1,000 k buffalo. So he promptly cancelled.

The man was indeed a jerk. Bah!

I put out a distress call on that same South American forum and got a chap from Conneticut to come at the last moment and he was wonderful company and eventually bought a place in that country to take his family and run horses and such.

Lorenzo was scared to death of these buffalo and said that no one bothered the big bulls. Which were very dangerous animals and he actually wanted me to sign a waiver in case I got stomped. I never did.

I was given a Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby and Gaucho (one of two brothers) brought along his 300 Winchester in a Ruger bolt action as a back up rifle.

Ed, the American, suggested that I shoot solids when it came time to shoot my buffalo. He had killed three cape buffalo, all with one shot over the years.

There were a good number of buffalo around feeding on the rice fields. Normally the herds would contain a few cows and calves, a satellite bull that always hung around a few hundred yards away so as not to get killed by the dominant bull, and of course, the big herd bull. From a distance the big bull looked twice as big as the smaller bull. And they are considerably bigger than a cape buffalo. Maybe 600 pounds bigger. Awesome looking critters!

They were aways close to heavy cover and seemed wilder than snakes.

One day we hunted a place known as The Tiger ranch. (Tigre, of course, being jaguar) We eventually spotted a couple of cows walking in the bush and decided to wait until sundown to see if they would come out to feed.

I had a rifle, Gaucho had his 300 Mag, Ed had a camera, Lorenzo had walking sticks and binos, and Pocho had a video camera. We sat in the small cover and waited.

Around sundown 4 cows and an enormous old bull walked out onto the rice field and started to feed.They were about a hundred or so yards away and I was hoping that they would feed a lot closer. My heart was pounding so hard that Pocho heard it and commented on it later. (I passed my stress test that evening)

They fed in a bit of a circle never coming closer so finally I stood up and with the shooting sticks I shot at the great bull's shoulder. The buffs ran like hell for the cover and disappeared.

Ed came over and said that he would never have taken the long shot but did hear the bullet hit.

After a bit of a wait we went looking for it. I told the chaps that they did not have to come. Only Gaucho and I even had rifles.

The replies were immediate. It sounded like fun. (I must admit, however, they did not follow too close)

Gaucho and I first went to where the bull was standing when I shot and then we followed the direction into the trees and bushes. A bit later I saw Gaucho crouch and point. I crouched and saw four sets of legs as the cows vamoosed. No bull. We were hoping that it was dead as the shot felt good.

In the growing twilight the two of us continued on and soon we came to the end of the trees and from there 6-8 feet tall grass. We stopped and my friend suddenly said, ' There it is, Richard!' I looked to my left. The ancient bull was broadside at only ten yards.

It dropped its head and came at us like a rocket! Later I figured that at that moment we only had one second to live. I later asked Gaucho (who was in his 30's and limber) if he could have gotten out of its way? He told me 'no' and that when people go hunting they do not expect to die.

Most hunters probably dream of stopping a charge but you must trust me on this, ten yards is way too close.

We threw up our guns and I shot the scope rifle like a shotgun. Gaucho also fired. The bull went down at 5 yards. Gaucho started yelling, 'We stopped the charge! We stopped the charge!'

I reloaded the #1 and shot it three or four more times. I remember 4 more times but the diary said 3! I had decided not to give it another chance to kill me.

If the buffalo had killed me that night, my mother would have heard about it the next day. The next day her sister died, it was the first year anniversary of my father dying. She would have lost her husband, sister, and first born son on the 14th of April.

I have a video of everyone chattering away in Spanish with me walking around with my mouth wide open for the next ten minutes. They called it Richard's buffalo look.

My amigos gave the entire buffalo to the local cops who arrived the next morning in their police car. There were three of them and two of them came up and gave me a hug. That was a first in my life.

Epilogue:

The following year I stalked about a five year old water buffalo in Arnhemland in Northen Australia. These are a different type, of course but still very very large. It never knew where I was and it took me 9 shots from a 375 to knock it down. That sort of puts things in perspective.

Years later the government of Uruguay decided that the water buffalo had to go as they were afraid they would bring disease into the cattle herds. My friends got the contract to shoot them all. So sad.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:22 AM

An intriguing story, thanks for the read.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:39 AM

Default post of the month!

Thanks for the great post! This site needed a little booster to get back to the topic of actual hunting. Hope this is contagious!!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:59 AM

Interesting story, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:23 AM

Great write up!Thanks
Old 05-03-2021, 08:33 AM

Really good story, and great topic line.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up

Great read , thanks for sharing !
Old 05-03-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Thanks for the great post! This site needed a little booster to get back to the topic of actual hunting. Hope this is contagious!!
agree wholeheartedly. Very cool story!
Old 05-03-2021, 10:38 AM

That was an excellent read. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:42 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Most excellent tale!
Many thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 05-03-2021, 02:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I concur

but a single shot...charging critters that can bugger you up...then again ya only might get one shot....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-03-2021, 09:10 PM

Great read. I wanna shoot a buffalo now.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:21 PM
Banned

Great story
Old 05-03-2021, 09:32 PM

Have any photo's you'd be willing to share?
Old 05-03-2021, 09:34 PM

Great story. Thanks for sharing it with us.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-04-2021, 08:43 AM

Default Photo

I would love to post a photo but I really have never figured out any of this technology since that pigeon kicked me in the head. I can certainly e mail/text a photo to someone who would be kind enough to do this for me. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:30 PM

Years ago watching hunting video's on a site that was called huntingfootage. I remember seeing you drop that bull as it came in and thinking that was a little to close for comfort. I still see that look on your face, priceless. Great read, Thanks.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:27 AM

Default Epilogue #2

Epilogue #2:

That evening, while the great bull was cooling in the bush, we were back at the little house (which had once been a stage coach outpost .. how cool was that?)
and enjoying a late supper and perhaps a drink or two.

Somehow the landowner's middle aged son heard that we had shot a buffalo. He walked in the door carrying a half bottle of Scotch (he was not sharing it .. just walking around with it) and after congratulations asked for the trophy fee right there from Lorenzo.

Lorenzo was not impressed. The guy's wife was at another farm a few hours away so the son had brought along a 'cabaret' lady who sat in the car. I am not sure what a cabaret lady was but I had a theory.

A day or two later my partner Ed got a chance at his own bull. It was another great big bull and the men set up an ambush as it walked in single file with its lady friends from the rice fields to the bush.

Ed decided to use a soft point on his buffalo.

Lorenzo and I watched from a distance as the herd came by the men hidden in the tall grass. Ed shot and the herd disappeared at a hard run into the tall grass.

Soon we rejoined the fellows and then we all decided it was a very good time to sit down in the sun and reminisce about days gone and a day right now being lived.

Eventually Pocho took his pump 30-06 that he had brought and went over to a tree and climbed rather high to have a look down and see if he could make out the bull. No luck.

After an appropriate time Ed and Gaucho and Pocho went after it. Lorenzo still had his shooting sticks and I had a 35 mm camera. He and I decided that it might be better to stay behind as we could be of no possible help if things went south.

And I have never wanted to die stupid. Or die, at all, now that I think on it.

The bull was dead.

Ed had now killed 4 buffalo with 4 shots.

That night he walked about twenty yards from our funky old house, took out his satellite phone, and chatted with each of his three grown up kids and his lady in far off Conneticut to tell them how great life was.

I could not agree more.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:32 AM

Default the saga continuues!

Great follow-up! Keep it going!
Old 05-06-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Great follow-up! Keep it going!
Cool story, your living life well.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:02 PM

Good story, I’m still waiting for someone to post up the photos!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:10 PM

Great story, I know a guy who stopped an angry steer at 10 feet with a .357.
Adrenaline rush every time he re-lives it.

Thanks for posting two great hunts!
Old 05-09-2021, 04:22 PM

Great story thx for posting!
Old 05-09-2021, 11:22 PM

Thanks for posting

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 05-10-2021, 12:06 AM

Every now and then forum members post well written stories like this one and I absolutely love it.

Thank you very much.

Impatiently awaiting part 3 😁
Old 05-10-2021, 07:10 AM

Excellent Story !! I would have tagged along in a heartbeat on a trip like that !
Old 05-10-2021, 02:23 PM

Default Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Good story, I’m still waiting for someone to post up the photos!
Chef .. I have sent you a few photos of yesteryear and also Tyler has offered to post a photo of my great buffalo bull. Thank you so much.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:55 PM

Posting for Scruffy:
Old 05-10-2021, 07:13 PM

Great story.

Let’s have a lot more of these tales!
Old 05-15-2021, 03:02 PM

Default Epilogue #3

The story continues:

The men told me of the caiman that live in that part of South America. The Spanish name, I believe is jacare. They seemed to be nocturnal so we hared it over to a small river in the middle of the night to check them out. As we arrrived, one of the Uruguayans in the back seat of the bakkie informed us that there was a lone very dangerous buffalo in the area that had been chasing or charging the locals.

When Lorenzo heard this disturbing information he went nuts. And as usual he blamed me! 'Reechard! It ees the middle of the night and we are looking for jacare in boofalo country! F%^$ you! Reechard! F%^$ you, Reechard!'

I laughed non stop for about fifteen minutes. Later, the dude in the back (Pocho) whispered to me that he had made up the story about the rogue buffalo.

After the near death experience with the Tiger buffalo the three Uruguayans and myself consider all of us to be brothers but that has not let Lorenzo slacken one little bit about giving me a bad time - and all I can do is laugh.

One of the last times that I was in that country he took my lady and I to the airport moaning the entire time that his job was to get me out of the country as soon as he could as I was causing everyone nothing but grief by just being there.

There was quite a long line up in the check in row but Brother Lorenzo grabbed my passport and quickly walked to the front of the line and kept saying, ' We must get this man out of the country as soon as possible. He is nothing but trouble!'

He chatted away in Spanish at the lady and quickly made his point known to one and all. I was quickly brought to the front of the line and about first on the big airplane.

Back to the hunt.

That night we spotted a big capybara which dove into the little river that was covered with floating plants and disappeared forever. I was shocked when the one chap with us, a Brazilian who worked on one of the cattle ranches nearby got very very upset that we did not kill it. It turns out that all the meat that he had back at his 'house' were two frozen muddy tasting fish. (He gave us one later when we gave him some fresh meat. )

A year later my brothers contacted me and invited me to come and hunt buffalo. The government had ordered them all killed and they had been given the contract. And paid to do it.

I had already bought airplane tickets to spend 6 weeks that summer in Namibia hunting. I was meeting my buddy there or I would have eaten the darn tickets and gone to Uruguay instead. As it was, I was to arrive back in Canada about two weeks left in the summer, and 12 hours later I would go back to Calgary and begin the long flights back to Uruguay. It was just enough time to wash clothes.

My lady and I arrived in due course to find out that mostly all of the buffalo had been shot. I was shown the skulls of some magnificent bulls and cows. But we would try to find Margaret one and maybe another one for me.

We hunted ducks, perdiz, rheas and caiman and capybara were also to be found. We were so very close to Brazil and Argentina.

One night we were low on gasoline and the one service station was closed. So we drove to the police station and asked for some gasoline. In the morning the service station would reopen and the coppers could fill up their gasoline container again. No problem.

And then my lady got ill. She stayed in bed for a few days and I went out and knocked off a lone buffalo in a huge area that was home to many hundreds of cattle. Gaucho and Pocho and Lorenzo had shot all of those buffalo in the previous months with very little drama -no charges. They live for hunting and are as good a hunters as I have ever met anywhere.

We were down to the last day and there were reports of three buffalo on this one place. So we got my poor suffering lady out of bed and travelled to this particular estancia.

Gaucho stayed with us while Pocho hopped on a horse along with another real live gaucho and they trotted off looking for the buffalo.

A big old dog showed up from somewhere and decided to hang with us for a while. We were not much company and it promptly went to sleep.

We stayed in one spot for a while but finally Gaucho decided that elsewhere was better. Margaret and I grabbed our rifles (the 416 for me and the 300 mag for her) and followed the fellow to another spot to sit and wait. As usual, I had no idea where we were or why this or any other spot would have a buffalo come by?

Some time later we heard a single rifle shot. Pocho had a 760 Remington pump 30-06 with him. A short while later he got hold of his brother Gaucho on the walkie talkie and told him that they had jumped three buffalo and that he had shot one.

I was instantly very upset. I could not understand why Pocho had killed one of the buffalo. He had shot many dozens of the critters and my wife had shot none . Grrr!

My wife told me to mostly shut up. That we were there as the guests of these fine men so it was all good.

She was right, of course. And there was a method behind all of this.

A few minutes later I looked off to the left and saw two buffalo running right by us. A big one and a smaller one. About his time I felt that they had chosen ... poorly.

The old dog got up and ran towards them and they promptly blew by it.

Margaret shot the buffalo as it ran broadside to us - and then it did a quick pivot and came right at us.

Gaucho had no rifle but this time the buffalo started the charge from about 60 yards or so. His fate, for the second time in two years was in jeopardy and he was trying to decide his next move.

Margaret shot again and this time hit the buffalo low in the chest and into its heart. The buffalo went down, spun around and I finished it off with the 416.

I quickly reloaded the Ruger #1 as the smaller buffalo went by at about 20 yards. I was going to let it go in peace when Gaucho yelled, ' They all have to be shot!'

I shot it in the shoulder with the 416 Rigby and it cartwheeled down.

My lovely lady was the hero of the moment, for sure. I was not so proud of myself.