Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Zama bison hunt

I am going up to hunt in the 2010 bison draw at Zama, does anyone have any good advice/info. from last year.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM

You will find Lots of it here. My son and I filled his tag last year and as luck would have it I will hopefully be filling mine this year. Talk with the F&W in Highlevel they will help you lots what a group of ambassadors for the whole of Alberta Fish and Wildlife just excellent people. Last year I went in early Feb we enjoyed warmer weather and extra light and had no problems harvesting a good bull this year I may go early with the plan to return if I do not find the bull I want but it's a long drive. Lots of warm gear good knives I recommend a full spool of at least 5/8 nylon rope you might be glad if you can reach out a couple hundred yards. Good saw / Saws all and small Generator a Snow machine is a plus and an anti depressant to control the mood swing from pure joy and excitment to oh my good heavens why did I shoot this it's -36 and I can't even lift it's heard for a picture

It's a wack of work but obviously I applied again good luck and take friends lie to them like you want them on the adventure and then use them like mules

OOPS! Did I say that
Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
good luck and take friends lie to them like you want them on the adventure and then use them like mules

OOPS! Did I say that
I've never hunted Bison but I imagine that this is some excellent advice.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 AM

plus and an anti depressant to control the mood swing from pure joy and excitment to oh my good heavens why did I shoot this it's -36 and I can't even lift it's heard for a picture

Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 PM

Just come back from a day trip to Zama ity for work yesterday...seen a small herd down the road from the juction of the HWY looking south down the street past the PentaStar Camp #1 location

Last trip (Sept.1) ssen at least 5 different herds when I cut down from Zama to Assumption to Rainbow LAke
Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 PM

Donnybear, Did you lift it up to skin it, or do it on the ground? I was wondering about renting a picker truck.

Also, do you know if there is anywhere to rent sleds, like in high level possibly?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:31 PM

Dang Donny Bear ya got another tag this year. My boy and myself applied now both years and still nothing. Man some guys have all the luck. Good luck to ya.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-18-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Sleds

Northern Services in High Level rents sleds, (780) 926-3959.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:12 AM

Thanks Chopperman. What about picker trucks, looking to rent one once we get er down.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:16 PM

Skinned on the ground one side tied to what we could find the other to the truck with rope used so injun-uew-itty

As for the picker truck well that was well after the skinning when I was to tuckered to keep going lucked out and got a good rate Nice folks up at Zama do most anything to get a biason carcus on a tarp sled out from in front of the gas pumps (LONG Story)
Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM

Angry

Ha Ha, sounds like quite a story. Thanks for the injun-euw-ity advice.
So let's be honest now how cold was it really my buddies are bunch of nancies they'll be lucky to make it to -20.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffhunter View Post
Ha Ha, sounds like quite a story. Thanks for the injun-euw-ity advice.
So let's be honest now how cold was it really my buddies are bunch of nancies they'll be lucky to make it to -20.
Day time Temp was -18 by the time we loaded it wa -36 and when we hit Highlevel it was -32 The bison was frozen by morning. Here are some old pics that most have seen before.

At - 18 you will be working hard enough to strip down that changes when fatigue sets in!

You will have to remember we waited till feb 6th for warmer weather and more daylight.

Keeping meet cold will not be a problem

Head and Hide will go over 350 lbs all on thier own and cost over a grand to tan the hide

The skull wont fit in a 45 gallon drum without modifications so I would look into a bettle cleaning place or at least I think I may this time.

Anything else I can do to help I will this is a cool : hunt in more ways than 1
Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks Chopperman. What about picker trucks, looking to rent one once we get er down.

Lots of service compnaies in Zama or Rainbow LAke will have picker trucks.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Seeing the pics helps me visualize the task at hand a lot better. Appreciate the info. Did you mount the head? If so where did you take it? Also where did you get yer meat done?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Hello there, I was one of the lucky individuals to be drawn last year, What an experience. I went for opening day (jan 1st) and it was -35 all day. I was lucky enough to harvest a nice bull at around 11:00 am that first day. It took dad and i 4.5 hours to get it processed and in the back of the truck. Very large animals. A big bull moose has nothing on the buff. Pm me and I can give you some more info and some contact numbers of people who are very helpful and know where most of the buffalo hang out. Have fun and stay warm. Cheers SM
Old 09-21-2009, 02:08 PM

My e-mail is tom.scott@atcopower.com
Old 09-21-2009, 02:26 PM

I would check with greg mckinney picker service out of High Level. Good guy, will help you out lots. I have seen lots of buff up here this year, as in Zama friday and saw quite a few hanging around the west side of Zama. Shouldnt be a problem to fill a tag. If you need any info fire me a PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Seeing the pics helps me visualize the task at hand a lot better. Appreciate the info. Did you mount the head? If so where did you take it? Also where did you get yer meat done?
Well the head is getting done and as with everything in the last few years it will be Sugar Creek doing the work I'm in no rush as I have a cougar full body about to be completed and the last few years have been heavy on the Taxidermy bill as for this years bull I expect to rug it and do the skull.

Setterman was a great help to Me and DaJimmer and will share his knowledge so tap into that resource for sure he helped us feel a lot better before we left on our adventure

Thanks again Setterman
Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Default Picker

There are several outfits with picker trucks right in Zama, Flint is one of them. I'm sure that once you get one down a phone call or two should get you one. I asked a outfitter how much work a Bison was and he said double that of a moose and as stated if you do not have equipment to move it you are skinning and quartering one side at a time.
Enjoy the your hunt.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM

Thanks guys for the info. Just curious what calibre gun you used. I'm thinking of taking a friends 300 win mag. Should be lots eh?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info. Just curious what calibre gun you used. I'm thinking of taking a friends 300 win mag. Should be lots eh?
Da Jimmer used a 300WSM 180gr TSX 2 shots only one needed both 100% pass thru the video is on last years bison thread if you are curious
Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Ain't there a requirement for minimum cartriage size Donny? I know I am going to use a 338. Gotta get the draw first though.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-22-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Ain't there a requirement for minimum cartriage size Donny? I know I am going to use a 338. Gotta get the draw first though.
180 grs of bullet traveling at 2800 fps what it should be is foot pounds of energy as this does not account for Black Powder, and great cartridges like 45-70, 38-55, 50 sharps and many others yet I think that there are no issues when it comes down to it I just think they are wisely demoting seriously undersized cartridges I will know when I get my Kit
Old 09-22-2009, 05:06 PM

just a suggestion, we always tie the windpipe with a rope and slowly pull the gut pile out with a snowmachine, as someone cuts along the backbone... makes life a lot easier. you won't believe the size of the stomach alone.
cheers,
luck to ya