Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Bushnell Elite 6500

Does anyone have any experience with the ELITE 6500 with the DOA reticle? I was thinking of purchasing 1 for my 300mag and was wondering if anyone has any input on this particular scope.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:34 PM
sheephunter

I think Bushnell is a bit out of their league here. It doesn't measure up to the optical quality of the European 30mm tube scopes and the DOA reticle is light years behind Zeiss' Rapid Z. It does offer the highest maginification range in the business by an extra .5x but other than that I think there are better options. It's a good looking scope but for a 30mm tube scope, I expected more. Unless you require the huge zoom range, there are much better options with one inch scopes IMHO.

Last edited by sheephunter; 10-14-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:46 PM

I've put about 700 rounds down range with my 6500 in the last couple of months. It's my first Bushnell scope, and overall, I have no complaints. Everything works, and "Rainguard" actually does make a difference.

I compared this scope very closely with the Leupold VX3 and Zeiss Conquest. Of the three, the Conquest had the best glass, but if there was any difference between the VX3 and 6500, it was indistinguishable to my eye.

Of the three, the 6500 had the widest magnification range, most features, and lowest cost, so I decided to take a chance on it. So far, I'm pleased.

Last edited by mangler; 10-14-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the 6500 4.5-30x50 tactical scope, it looks good and costs 979.95 My only concern is the rectical is listed as mil-dot and im worried the crosshairs will be to thick to shoot out to 1000yrds like the 4200. also does it hold clarity past 20 power well?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post
I've put about 700 rounds down range with my 6500 in the last couple of months. It's my first Bushnell scope, and overall, I have no complaints. Everything works, and "Rainguard" actually does make a difference.

I compared this scope very closely with the Leupold VX3 and Zeiss Conquest. Of the three, the Conquest had the best glass, but if there was any difference between the VX3 and 6500, it was indistinguishable to my eye.

Of the three, the 6500 had the widest magnification range, most features, and lowest cost, so I decided to take a chance on it. So far, I'm pleased.
I should have been more specific about the one I bought. It's the 2.5-16x42 w/DOA.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

I bought two of the 6500s - 4.5-30X 50mm mildot recticle and with tactical turrets. One for my gun and my sons. They are on 300win mags.

We both think these scopes are great. At 30X there is a very small positon for seeing through the scope and it can be hard to acquire the target at 100yards/close up if you close one eye. Set up with high quality bases and rings, they allow me to hit a dime consistently at 100yds. Though that may also have to do with a sub moa gun. At that magnification you can see your breathing and probably pulse in its effect on targeting. For deer hunting this year it will be head shots(no meat wastage) to 200yds.

The eye relief is very good - no worry about brow beatings - I like the quality of the optics-the mildot recticle illuminates at low light-no batteries or need to charge them. I did look at the DOA recticle and did not like the gimmicky nature. With mildots I can range things quickly and don't need to put the recticle on the deers head after waiting for it to look directly at me. What happens when your hunting moose, carribou, whitetail does, wolves,etc.

The lifetime warranty with no need for receipts is nice - wonder who's lifetime they measure against as one is on my 15yr old sons and one is on my gun.

We have not had the chance to field/hunting test them yet or get to a range with some yardage.