Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Default "Redneck", Blessing or curse?

I see in another thread that some members use the term "redneck" as an insult to their fellow man. Do you think the term "Redneck" is a blessing or an insult?

And is it as bad as calling someone a........."Liberal"?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 PM

Default Compliment...

AND PROUD OF IT....DON'T KNOW A REDNECK THAT CAN PUT THIER HEAD UP THIER *ZZ..SO CAN'T BE A LIBERAL !
Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM

Default redneck

love being labled redneck, or hillbilly ! i love the whole concept.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM

It's one of those terms that is probably fine if you refer to yourself as one but often seen as an insult if you call someone else one. Best to be careful about flinging it around. If you were to walk up to a person of color, look them in the eye, and declare "I'm a redneck, and damned proud of it" I think they might take it to mean you were telling them you were a racist, whether you are or not. it's become a term that can be taken a number of different ways.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 PM

redfrog if you call me a redneck i'll laugh and say thank you. call me a liberal and i'll kick your ass.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 PM

i think it depends on the way someone says it, you can tell if its meant as an insult or not.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
redfrog if you call me a redneck i'll laugh and say thank you. call me a liberal and i'll kick your ass.

HMMM? I wonder how many liberals does it take to kick a redneck redfrog's ass?

I know you aren't a lib RP.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Gone Hunting

I wonder if people know where the term actually came from?????
Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 PM

To me it is the same inaccurately negative designation as calling someone a Canuck. Most of us Canadians are proud to be called Canucks. Just not Canuck fans!!

I am proud to be a redneck, you can call me whatever you like and it will not bother me any... Sticks and stones....
Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Well, if you believe Wikipedia it has to do with the neck being sunburned from outdoor manual labour many many years ago.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Good question/comment ^ !

I'm guessing that if most people (at least here in Canada) knew the 'true' meaning and origin of the term, they wouldn't use it to describe themselves.

Webster's Dictionary does a pretty good job of defining the original term, and it's origin;
Redneck ('red-neck); An uneducated, unsophisticated, poor white person. Typically used to describe uneducated poor white dirt farmers of the southern US states, having a red neck caused by working outdoors in the sunlight over the course of their lifetime. The term first appeared in print in the early 1800's in the southern US.
You can call me old fashioned, you can call me conservative, you can call me a cowboy, you can call me a traditionalist, you can call me lots of things ... but please don't call me a redneck.

GW

Old 12-10-2009, 05:17 PM

usually a super compliment! but even rednecks can act badly. just like liberals.lol
Old 12-10-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
My take is that it originally came from the southern U S. Disparaging term for poor white farmers, who working in the sun, got red necks. When a liberal calls you a Redneck, it's a complement.
Grizz
Old 12-10-2009, 05:37 PM

may sound like an insult but to me it discribes a hard working, belly to the ground, family provoiding MAN among men who although may be uneducated is not afrade to get his hands dirty, besides we can't all be doctors and lawers
Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Default redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter tyson View Post
may sound like an insult but to me it discribes a hard working, belly to the ground, family provoiding MAN among men who although may be uneducated is not afrade to get his hands dirty, besides we can't all be doctors and lawers
this ^ ^ ^
Old 12-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

Default meh

Odds are if the person flinging the term around is using it as an insult he is likely a liberal anyway. And who the hell cares what a liberal thinks. I would be much more insulted if someone called me a liberal.

To me a redneck is a salt of the earth guy, who may or may not have a lot of book learnin' but is wise beyond his years and full of common sense. Call of the redneck....howdy and havagooday.

A liberal...is someone who would rob Christ off the cross and come back for the nails. Generally slow on the uptake, however, when it comes to stealing they are quite cunning. No shame, no pride, no morals. They surround themselves with like minded individuals as they hate having their belief system challenged. Call of the liberal...baaaaah.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Proud Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Odds are if the person flinging the term around is using it as an insult he is likely a liberal anyway. And who the hell cares what a liberal thinks. I would be much more insulted if someone called me a liberal.

To me a redneck is a salt of the earth guy, who may or may not have a lot of book learnin' but is wise beyond his years and full of common sense. Call of the redneck....howdy and havagooday.

A liberal...is someone who would rob Christ off the cross and come back for the nails. Generally slow on the uptake, however, when it comes to stealing they are quite cunning. No shame, no pride, no morals. They surround themselves with like minded individuals as they hate having their belief system challenged. Call of the liberal...baaaaah.
X2 you said it bro

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
odds are if the person flinging the term around is using it as an insult he is likely a liberal anyway. And who the hell cares what a liberal thinks. I would be much more insulted if someone called me a liberal.

A liberal...is someone who would rob christ off the cross and come back for the nails. Generally slow on the uptake, however, when it comes to stealing they are quite cunning. No shame, no pride, no morals. They surround themselves with like minded individuals as they hate having their belief system challenged. Call of the liberal...baaaaah.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:

x5.......because Im a redneck and cant count
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 PM

Have you ever been called a "Nimrod"??
From Websters dictionary -
: a descendant of Ham represented in Genesis as a mighty hunter and a king of Shinar
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

I've been called a redneck by both folks who meant it as a compliment and those that meant it as degrading. Either way, I'm proud and happy with whom I am....my neck is red.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 PM

I call myself a redneck and a hillbilly all the time, if someone else calls me that it is a compliment. You can call me about anthing you want but don't call me a liberal, thems fightin' words. Try calling my 6 year old a liberal, she'll kick you in the shins!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 PM

My San Francisco Liberal girlfriend translates to a Central Alberta Redneck Conservative.

Imagine her consternation.

I just laughed.

"Your conservatives are way left of Obama" she said.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
It's one of those terms that is probably fine if you refer to yourself as one but often seen as an insult if you call someone else one. Best to be careful about flinging it around. If you were to walk up to a person of color, look them in the eye, and declare "I'm a redneck, and damned proud of it" I think they might take it to mean you were telling them you were a racist, whether you are or not. it's become a term that can be taken a number of different ways.
X2 ^

I spent almost 10 years down in the States in my younger years. Even the Republicans (conservatives) use the term 'Redneck' with negative connotations (same as "white trash", etc.). It's also sometimes also used to describe someone who is racist, or a bigiot.

I'm conviced us Canadians need to find our own term to describe good, hard-working, salt-of-the-earth, people. The imported term 'Redneck' has far too many negative connotations.

TF
Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 PM

I do consider my self redneck as i have cut the grass and found my truck in my back yard. and i am proud if it too!
As for a hillbilly dam rights. dam proud of the stupid stuff i doo too, might not be safe but it works for the perpouse that i needed it too. God bless all the redneck hillbillys out there!

GIT - R - DONE
GetAttachment 1991 chev.jpg

Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 AM

(Alberta) Redneck seafood dinner.....

Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
(Alberta) Redneck seafood dinner.....

Thats what I had for supper last night!!! not for real but does look good though haha.

I don't mind being called a redneck I don't mind being called a hillybilly. I am a working man and that is what redneck means to me.

Don't really care to be called a liberal or a hippy... those buggers don't work - they steal!

Joe
Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Most of us easterners are called rednecks, thats cool with me. For those who don't like rednecks, well, they can go P on a stump and play with the steam.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Compared to most ya'll I wouldn't be considered a redneck, but at work they call me one. Doesn't bother me one bit, I like the "redneck" type of life. If you get offended by someone calling you a redneck you take things too seriously.

Family calls me a liberal all the time and doesn't bother me. I know I'm more conservative then most people who throw out the name liberal but they still consider me a liberal.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Wel that mkes me good redneck as i am from the far far east