Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 AM

Default need advise for smoking trout

Does any one here smoke trout? I have a bradley electric smoker and have smoked alot of meat but I have never tried fish as I don't really care much for most fish. My father in law has some rainbow trout from a local stocked pond he wants me to smoke. I have read conflicting advise about using a brine or not. What temp. for how long? Should the fish be filleted or just cleaned and butterfly cut. I appreciate any advice thanx
Old 01-16-2010, 06:27 PM

I soak in brine for 34 hours water, salt, brown sugar, liquid smoke and soy sauce.

1-2 hours @ 100F-120F
2-4 hours @ 120F-140F
Finish 1-2 hours @ 175F
I smoke from 1-4 hours depending on the type and thickness of the trout fillets.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:32 PM

for stocked trout I use 1 cup of cheap whiskey , 1cup of salt water, and some brown sugar!!! 24 hours and use apple chips!! really really god!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180+ View Post
for stocked trout I use 1 cup of cheap whiskey , 1cup of salt water, and some brown sugar!!! 24 hours and use apple chips!! really really god!
you turn fish in to god??? that better be the best tasting fish EVER!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistamikel View Post
you turn fish in to god??? that better be the best tasting fish EVER!!!
Meant good!! the superstore whiskey seems to work the best!! Maybe because the sugar content??? this recipe also works good for whitefisk!!
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 PM

I use a drine brine, taste's great and never had any complaints.
I do everything free hand

Lawry's Seasoning salt heavy
Garlic powder heavy
Onion powder heavy
lemon pepper light
Cracked pepper light
paprika to color
table salt light
When your done spicing it should look like you have too much on

Let sit over night, Smoke at 200 degrees for 3hr usually puts me close with smoking wood chips for the first hour only. Check often, rotate racks, if any moisture comes out of the meat to sit on the fish then dab dry with a paper towel otherwise it will cake up in that spot. Let air dry unsealed for a few hours. Enjoy!!!

I just chop the head and tail off and split the fish in half, leaving the skin on. There has been several threads on this, do a search and it may turn up a few for you.

One guy wrote liquid smoke in his wet brine, careful with that stuff, if that's the way you chose to go. I tried another guys that must of over did his with liquid smoke, i wanted to puke it was so awful. You may not perfect it the first few times, but play around with it and do a few batch's and you will settle on something you like before you know it. Oh and i use a digital meat thermometer that i stick the prob into the thickest meat and once it hits 140, i usually give it 15-20 min more and it's good to go. Good luck
Old 01-16-2010, 08:24 PM

WHISKY IS GREAT!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
WHISKY IS GREAT!!!
HELLS TO THE YA!! any whisky is good if you mixing but nothing beats a good single malt scotch thats legal (18yo)
damn all this food and booze talk has got me hungry and thirsty
Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Okay, I've smoked a lot of fish over the years and what I would suggest is if the fish is in the 12 to 16 inch range smoke it whole if it is larger then fillets are in order. I don't us a brine very often but the wiskey one sounds good or the dry brine just posted. You can do it without a brine. I slice up a lemon and place it in the fish add some light spices (old bay), salt and pepper and if your smoker has a water bath than add two lemons to it too. You can use hickory, apple or cherry wood. 190 deg is about right for 2 hrs for the smaller stockers. Flip once.
Smoked trout dip is also a real nice starter.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:48 PM

Hey that malt stuff is for drinking not smokin! I like to have a few while I watch the smoker cookin.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty-flyfisher View Post
Hey that malt stuff is for drinking not smokin! I like to have a few while I watch the smoker cookin.
Amen brother....AMEN.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Shmag

I agree don't get carried away with the liqiud smoke.
Just a tip that fat and liqiud coming to the top of your fillets is usually a sign that your smoker is two hot. I feel 200F for your initial temp is probably to high.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLP View Post
Shmag

I agree don't get carried away with the liqiud smoke.
Just a tip that fat and liqiud coming to the top of your fillets is usually a sign that your smoker is two hot. I feel 200F for your initial temp is probably to high.
Thanks for the tip, i keep everything logged at home and away from home right now. But now that i think of it i am sure i run it around the 185 degree mark, but my temp runs away on me sometimes and find it at 200 when i check back in. I glad you told me what cause's it.

One other note B.O is keep all records of your smoking in a journal, and keep tweeking until you nail it