Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Default dodge deth wobble?

has anyone herd of this? i have a 2006 dodge 1500 mega cab with 70,000kms on it. last week the truck started to shake when driving 100 km/hr, and hitting small bumps in the road will throw the trucks front end into an out of controll bounce untill slowed down. its booked in for service this week and this problem could include everything from the steering dampner to the ball joints. seems like a lot of cash and a major hazard for no dodge recall?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 AM

I have a friend who had the same problem with his 06 at 60,000. Are you sure theres no mud caked up on the inside of your rims ? That can throw your tire balance out.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 AM

same thing with my 05 3500 railroad tracks were a death sentance.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 AM

I had that happen to me with my '95 GMC. Felt like it was going to throw the truck right off the road. Ended up getting new ball joints.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 AM

My 07 dodge had this same thing, got the strut shocks replaced and again 6 months later. handles much better now. apparently dodge changed there suspension design in the last few years cuz of this.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 AM

Went through the same thing with my '05. There is a replacement steering "fix" you can buy from Dodge. It runs about $ 550. I replaced my shocks all the way around and that made a big difference as well. Now the truck has no issues at all other than the wife's finger marks buried into the dash..........
Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
Went through the same thing with my '05. There is a replacement steering "fix" you can buy from Dodge. It runs about $ 550. I replaced my shocks all the way around and that made a big difference as well. Now the truck has no issues at all other than the wife's finger marks buried into the dash..........

ahhahah thats funny man,mine tends to dig in a little too at times
Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I have a friend who had the same problem with his 06 at 60,000. Are you sure theres no mud caked up on the inside of your rims ? That can throw your tire balance out.
i was under the truck yesterday and it all look clean. i only drive the truck once a week if that and it hasent seen a dirt road sence last fall.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb hunter View Post
has anyone herd of this? i have a 2006 dodge 1500 mega cab with 70,000kms on it. last week the truck started to shake when driving 100 km/hr, and hitting small bumps in the road will throw the trucks front end into an out of controll bounce untill slowed down. its booked in for service this week and this problem could include everything from the steering dampner to the ball joints. seems like a lot of cash and a major hazard for no dodge recall?
Do you have a lift on your truck?

My 2004 started doing the "Speed Bump Death Wobble" shortly after I had it lifted. End result was a new steering block, heavy-duty shocks, a steering block stabalizer, the front tires had to be toed-in a certain degree (camber?) and a couple of other items I can't quite recall. All in all it was about $2500.00. Needless to say I wasn't impressed, but it all seems to be working fine now. It's pretty scary when the truck goes into the death wobble though - the name says it all!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Heard from a guy at Pat's Driveline that the driveshafts are a real problem on the diesels but maybe it goes for gas as well. He said they switch them to aluminium driveshafts and the vibration goes away. No idea if this is the case in yours but was told this is a chronic problem with Dodge.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

It's a heck of a lot more than a vibration. When it happens, you're best to have everything inside the cab tied down. Scary stuff!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Death Wobble

That name decribes it perfectly!!!

Had the same thing in my 02. Replaced the Track Bar and installed a dual steering stabalizer kit from Rancho.

Seemed to cure the problem.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM

note to self: dont buy a 02-07 dodge!!!! ever . haha!!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:34 PM

ya just stay away from dodge
Old 03-22-2010, 12:45 PM

This is a common problem with the dodge trucks. It usually happens to people with a levelling kit on their truck. When you level the dodges it throws the suspension geometry out of wack so you need to put a adjustable track bar on the adjust your wheels to make everything how it should be. If this isn't the case with you check your front end parts. Dodge is bad for ball joints and tie rod ends. I have a 04 2500 and had to do mine at around 130,000k.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 PM

That's why you should buy a ford
Old 03-22-2010, 12:57 PM

They have been known to have steering box problems because the steering box was not supported properly. A fellow in Weyburn Sask. patented a fix for this. His product is sold all over Nothe America. Here is a link.

http://www.solidsteel.ca/

Another thing known to cause this is if the truck had BF Goodrich tires. Apparently there was a problem between the surface of the tire and the sidewall after a good deal of wear.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:18 PM

I have the same problem with my '09 dodge, but they cant figure out whats wrong with it. Frost heaves and train tracks are wicked.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh12 View Post
I had this happen with a 95 Ford. Turned out to be the U joints...
Old 03-22-2010, 05:34 PM

Default wobble

Quote:
I had the death wobble on my 03 3500 with a 9" lift, i was in norman wells working and couldnt get it in for someone to take a look at it and i ended up rolling and writting it off, dealership said its more common on the cummins rather then the hemis casue of the heavy front end and the cause was due to a worn out front end. Pretty bad when dodge has a Name for this and no saftey recalls of some sort
Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM

Had the wobble on my 2000 diesel. Replaced the steering box, added a steering stabilizer, replaced the steering shock and didn't help it out hardly at all. Ended up being a rubber bushing on the end of the track bar, so my front end would move side to side over the front axle.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Default Wobble..

My 08 Dodge dually pulled this garbage down in south USA. Actually scared me ! Felt like high speed wobble on a motorbike. New ball joints and alignment when I got back; Cured it.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM

87 GMC 3/4 ton, 94 dodge 3/4 ton. Scares the bejeezus out of you. Do a search on the dodge truck forums. There are fixes...
Old 03-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh12 View Post
Check out the dealerships in Bonnyville... At least 6 service bay doors at the Ford dealership (with a sign sayin "Open 24 Hrs...)... Only 1 service bay door needed on the Dodge dealership... That in itself tells me something...
Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Sounds like the steering dampener. I had the same problem. Truck shook VIOLENTLY when I hit a very small bump @ 100km/hr+. Had that changed and works fine now. That was 2009 Dodge but heard it was happening on earlier models as well. Not good when it happens, I nearly filled my kilt the first time!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb hunter View Post
It sounds like the track bar needs to be replaced.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
MTWALLET

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
It sounds like the track bar needs to be replaced.
There are two different track bars, one with a tie rod end type of knuckle(bad, always wears out) and one with a bolt instead(never wears out)
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 PM

I have an '03 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel. Had it in last summer at 130,000 km to replace the front-end upper and lower ball joints. It started doing the wobble AFTER they were replaced. Took it back in and had them replace the steering stabilizer - cost me $90.00 and completely solved the problem. The front end is tight once more and no wobble whatsoever. Turns out the steering stabilizer was seized up and not functioning properly. You might want to check out the stabilizer before having the ball joints done. As well, I would caution you about going to a Dodge dealership to have your work done unless you've found one you can trust. I've been to three different ones now and have either been over-charged or gone to pick my truck up after being told it was ready, only to find that it wasn't. Twice I had to take it back so they could finish the work they hadn't done the first time it was in. My last time into the dealership they quoted me over $1,400 to do just the lower ball joints ($700 for Dodge OEM parts alone) on the truck. I went to a local garage recommended by a friend and had them do the upper and lower joints (turns out both needed to be swapped out) with MOOG parts (that are guaranteed for life) for $1,000. Can't imagine what it would have cost me if I'd gone to the dealership, and how many trips to see them it would have taken to figure out the issue was with the steering stabilizer. Good luck with your truck and hope you're able to get rid of that wobble.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Default 2006 dodge mega cab

just got a call from sherwood dodge and i was told some part of the steering is siezed and its going to cost a couple hours to to find the damaged part. at $130.00 an hour its going to add up plus parts and re assemble? this is not a good thing. i bought the truck 6 months ago from derrick dodge used truck centre for $33,000.000 with a clean bill of health. in 6 months the t.i.p.m. module went, ($1,400.00) the multi function switch ($300.00) a/c fan motor (?) price un known and the drivers seat feels like a rocking chair. other then that i cant here my self think for engine lifter noise. derrick dodge cant help me out on anything at all? this truck is not driven every day and was intended for my wife to drive in town and a little recreational use. this seems like a lot of cash to invest in to a truck, i could have rented a truck for 6 months for less cash.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
Check out the dealerships in Bonnyville... At least 6 service bay doors at the Ford dealership (with a sign sayin "Open 24 Hrs...)... Only 1 service bay door needed on the Dodge dealership... That in itself tells me something...
Yip tells ya that Dodge don't care. I won't deal with the dealership that I bought my Jeep from. They work when THEY want, not when you need them. I will get no service done by the dealership.