Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Lifting Device

Last year I posted some pics of a game hoist I had made. There seemed to be people interested in making one so I'm posting it again. Unit also swivels 360 degrees for easy truck loading. I bought the pulley and winch from Princess Auto. Winch is rated for 1400 lbs, last pully is rated for 1200 lbs, and the idler pulley is a 1200 lb unit modified with steal sides so it could be welded to the frame.

Whole Bull Elk

Whole Cow Moose

Last edited by Roebag; 09-01-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:40 PM

Roebag, are you a welder? I bet you could sell a ton of these. I'll order the first on from you.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:30 PM

TUC, I'm not a welder but I have done a lot of it in my life. I had this one made for me by Talsma's welding in Bentley. I just took them a picture. You can buy these from Cabelas, but I doubt it would do whole large animals like mine. It is made from 2" square tubing with 1/4" wall thickness.

I think "Lethalconnection" is a welder and is close to you also, maybe ask him about that
Old 09-01-2007, 09:52 PM

Thanx Roe!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:35 AM

a couple of hours in welding shop should fab a couple up.
rob, do you have to have the tailgate removed or does it extend enuf to use with the tailgate down.
neat rig none the less

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Jackson

Default All Ready done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Roebag, are you a welder? I bet you could sell a ton of these. I'll order the first on from you.
Sorry to burst your bubble but cabelas sells a carbon copy of this for just around c note pluse shipping .Hope your not infringing on someone's patten.Becareful
Old 09-02-2007, 09:00 AM

I do take my end gate off first. My nieces husband was here yesterday to measure mine up. He is going to build his so that he can open the end gate with the device erected. He also is going to make his swivel connection higher up than mine so he can store his in a short box truck, mine is made to lay flat in a long box when not in use.

I don't mind taking my end gate off because it greatly reduces the downward force on the bottom leg and truck hitch if the load is closer to the truck. Another idea is to build a leg that swings down to the ground from the first ninety. I put a log in this spot but may get a stand of some sort.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:11 AM

Hi Roe, nice job, I also built a similar lift last year, fed up with cleaning and skinning on the ground. I added a adjustment in height, tail gate can be up or down, full size truck or mid size (hitch depth). This year I picked up a cheap 12 volt winch at Princess Auto, so I will add power to the lift in the next few weekds. Maybe even a overhead light. Best thing is it all breaks down into pieces and away you go...
I can only find one photo, so if anyone would like additional detail, I can send photo's.

??lift.jpg
Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 AM

lst, that is a nice unit. You should post some more pics of it. You built yours for the same reasons I built mine

Jackson, your right about Cabelas. That's where I saw this thing, I believe I mentioned that earleir in this thread. I'm definately not planning on going into production with these things. I was just posting this because they are useful and there was an interest from some of the AO board members to build their own. Every year we see or learn things from others and try to improve some things around our own outdoors life style. It could be things for camps, trailers, quads, it could be anything. That's why we post things like this. I'm not looking for hero status or profit of any kind

Roebag
Old 09-02-2007, 10:07 AM

Very handy gadget to have. Nice. By the way Roebag I have the exact same dent in my back bumper and its the same color and make as your truck. I got a heavy duty receiver that I don't need if anyone is thinking of making one just come get it.

Last edited by honda450; 09-02-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Exactly right Roe, something to make our outdoor experience alittle more enjoyable and sharing the idea with others......not looking for anything, just to maybe help he next guy a little....
Old 09-02-2007, 12:15 PM

I have one similar to the one posted (might be slightly smaller). I bought it a few years back and it's been in my garage ever since. If someone is interested I would sell it for about $75.

983-7580

BH
Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 PM

awesome pics i've been drawing up pics to make one of these for a couple of weeks now. i am a welder and love to hunt and trap. its a nice start but i'll make some adjustment so you could skin a coyote by pulling the hide off so there will have to be a groung type anchor of some sort. i have a couple of freind that also want them that i'll be making them for. i am supprised that its that light a will hold up a cow moose, i'll make minea bit beefier so it will last forever....... i just might build a bunch to sell.. thanks for the post

If your not having fun what's the point.....

mountainman elkohalic
Old 09-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Here's a couple more pics of my lift.........120 inches under the hook, assembled in the highest position. No 360 swivel action, lift only. Works great....

Lift#1.jpg

lift#2.jpg

lift#3.jpg
Old 09-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Bloodhound... where do you live?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:10 PM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Bloodhound... where do you live?
It says Edmonton in his profile Tuc???
Old 09-02-2007, 07:14 PM
101sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMG View Post
It says Edmonton in his profile Tuc???
yes it does say Edmonton .
Old 09-03-2007, 02:57 PM

I was lucky enough until just bfore last season to have a work truck that had a one tonne crane in the box, man was that handy for loading and skinning chores. We missed it a bit last year around hunt camp. Maybe this year I should borrow the spare field truck so we have a crane, maybe...

The home-made poles look great guys!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:50 AM

I'm in north Edmonton Tuc. PM me if your interested.

BH
Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM

I am just curious if it makes a difference to installed two pulleys at the top of the hoist or just one at the end. Is there any benefit to using two? It seems eaiser to build a hoist with just one pulley. Any info would help.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Another version. I've since replaced the 1500 lb winch with a 3000 lb.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=Truck+Hoist
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

Hi.

Looks great!!

Just a couple of technical details I'm wondering about.

Did it handle that moose without any problems?
It looks like you braced it with a piece of firewood or something...Was that to keep it level or to take some of the load?

Might be a dumb question but...a Class 4 hitch on the trucK? Did you have to beef up anything there?

Has anyone mounted one on a lighter truck...I'm driving a Dakota 4x4 with a Class 4 and that moose looks awful big balancing on the hitch. Am I just too paranoid?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 PM

hmmm think i will have to weld one of those up in my garage
Old 07-23-2011, 11:18 AM

Great idea
Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I am just curious if it makes a difference to installed two pulleys at the top of the hoist or just one at the end. Is there any benefit to using two? It seems eaiser to build a hoist with just one pulley. Any info would help.
I am not an engineer but i think using 2 pulleys divides some of the downward force on the top horizontal run.

I also placed a pivot on the top of the vertical tube and run guidelines back to the front corner of the box. i think that makes it much stronger and stable.

Its raining but I might go out and take a picture this afternoon.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Lifting device

It does do whole mosse but definately needs to be supported under the hitch, plus removing all animal parts you can to reduce weight as you go like feet, hide, head ect. Works best with deer sized critters but I'm not afraid to do moose and elk with it.

Rob
Old 07-23-2011, 10:09 PM

Thought I would add a few pictures of my homemade game hoist.You can get a deer into the pickup alone without removing the tailgate but you certainly would have to for anything larger.

View of the swivel/guideline attachment.

Swiveled around into pickup box. the guidelines are not in the way as much as you would think.

I would advise anyone building one to use a boat winch. the hoist does the job but it is very slow to lower it one click at a time. I will be changing mine over before I use it this year.