Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Default I need birch firewood?

Where can I get good, dried birch firewood delivered. I live in Edmonton and I thought someone out there could direct me to a reputable seller. I bought half cord a couple of years ago and it was pretty wet so it had to dry over the summer before I could use it. Anyway, winter is soon upon us and I will need wood for the fire place. What's a good price for birch these days?
Thanks,
Curt
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 PM

Hey Curt. Look in the Yellow Pages under 'landscape supply' companies. Most of 'em have dried and split BC birch. You're gonna pay for it though. I think a cord of it is going for about $300/cord here in Calgary.

If I were you, I'd try calling some of the local tree service companies in the area. They should be able to point in the the right direction. Find out where they dump their chips and logs. Here in Calgary, we dump at a tree farm/nursery. You can probably find a couple of places with some pretty huge piles just begging to be cherry picked. It's worth the effort, because you should be able to get a pickup load pretty cheap. FYI, there's many different (read: cheaper) types of wood that burn as well, if not better than birch. IMO, willow is the best due to potential avaliability, but if you can get some apple, ash or cherry, the party's on. Good luck!

Tree
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 PM

Default tamarack

i burn all tamarack in my stoves, as far as im concerned it burns jsut as hot and lasts, its small enough here in alberta ina lot of places that it fits perfect, drive around and cut some down at any farmers place, im sure there is alot of guys that iwll let you, we live jsut south of edmonton and all i do is look for a little swampy place and walla you have your wood for winter.
tamarack all the way
Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM

I used to burn poplar in the stove and found it to be just fine when good and dry. And much easier to come by. As far as looking for birch, head north of Edmonton probably not far, and get a permit for 5 bucks and get a few cords for next year. It has to be cheaper than buying it in the city?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

Default firewood

As far as the $5 permit goes...who do you contact for that? Where can you cut? What can you cut? How much can you cut?? etc
Thanks for the info
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

Default here's the link

Found the link with the info.

http://srd.alberta.ca/forests/managi...g/default.aspx
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Birch

I've got 1 cord of birch left. $250/cord. I can deliver it.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by German View Post
I've got 1 cord of birch left. $250/cord. I can deliver it.
Hey German, its funny how you guys ALWAYS only have one cord left, eh? Put 'er up on the Buy/Sell or PM. Otherwise.......

Tree
Old 10-03-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Tree?Dude

I wasn't offering it to you treedude. You just relax and reach over and turn up the' ol thermostat.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 AM

curt, cheapest way if ya don't mind doing it yourself is by permit. Contact me via pm and gladly help you out and get you going in the right direction.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7mm View Post
Where can I get good, dried birch firewood delivered. I live in Edmonton and I thought someone out there could direct me to a reputable seller. I bought half cord a couple of years ago and it was pretty wet so it had to dry over the summer before I could use it. Anyway, winter is soon upon us and I will need wood for the fire place. What's a good price for birch these days?
Thanks,
Curt
I'll give you some for free. I took a tree down and won't use all.
Am in Edmonton ; PM me
Old 10-04-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Firewood

Wow...thanks for all the feedback guys. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare time to go find wood and cut it up. Any spare time I do get I will spend it hunting which only translates into 2 or 3 short trips, but hopefully more. So Im looking for wood that can be delivered. I sent a PM to German inquiring about the birch he has.
Boy, it sure is torture looking at all the elk everyone is taking while Im sitting at my dest...I have to get out.

Curt
Old 10-09-2007, 08:41 AM

there isa guy in Andrew who has hard and softwood firewood cut yourself for 100 per cord or 50 dollars per pickupload.as well there are several guys in Onoway who have firewood cut dried and split dont know about delivery or ph numbers they do advertise in the paper Andrew ph number is 780-365-3516
Old 10-09-2007, 10:00 PM

Default firewood

There is also a guy in St Micheal that has a lumber mill in his yard, he has tons of poplar and spruce side slabs, lotta bark, but lots of good usable wood as well. He charges $20 a pickup load, or if he has too much he gives it away. The commercial dealer just north of St Albert is Sunshine Garden Center, and I know he charges $300-350 a cord for birch, and I laughed out loud when he told me that... got a dirty look for that one... I have picked up 3 pickup loads so far from Swan Hills, cruising the clearcuts and bucking up usable stuff, bonus is that the boy shoots his share of grouse
Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 PM

Default good wood

How about calgary? Same thing, any extra time on my hands is for hunting this time of year. Hard to explain that to the wifey, but she still gets a little COLD sometimes. Anybody have a good tip for cheap wood or where to get good wood after Nov close to Calgary. Usually head up to Burntstick Lake area that time of year, anything closer?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Only one cord left............

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Hey German, its funny how you guys ALWAYS only have one cord left, eh? Put 'er up on the Buy/Sell or PM. Otherwise.......

Tree
Hey Tree right on dude. And tell the guy looking to buy, that a "CORD" is 4' deep x 4' high x 8' long................ a "FACE CORD" is 16"deep x 4' high x 8 ' long and not to be fooled by the latter ( face cord ) into thinking it is a cord.

mooseburger
happy hunting all u good people.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Fire wood

I may need a load of free or very cheap firewood for my daughters school winter camp trip in February. Fire is the only source of heat when we are out there and the kids are sleeping in lean two's. The wood that is out there is always green and very difficult for the kids to keep there fire going. Thanks for the suggestions for getting wood guys.
Mooseburger....thanks for those "Cord" measurements.

Curt