Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Default Mountain biking hunt...rifle or crossbow?

For future planning...which is easier to carry while mountain biking.....a rifle or crossbow?

was thinking of future trail hunts....nothing to do with the Archery season arguments please!

is biking with a crossbow a lot easier than a rifle? both with scopes??

would love some input, TX!
Jen

ps can you shoot grouse with a crossbow without a big feathery mess?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

rifle is far easier. a crossbow is big awkward and unruly to pack.

ps, i have shot several ruffies with a bow. aim for the head and its no sweat.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 PM

I do a lot of mtn bike hunting and packing a rifle is a lot easier. I have a dedicated hunting mtn bike with the fork type rifle racks mounted on the ends of the handle bar. I use my own custom version of a "BOB" trailer with a 48 spoke 20" BMX wheel instead of the regular 16" wheel, Gives me greater ground clearance, to pack out my game. If I pack my crossbow I have to case it and haul it in the trailer. So far I've gotten one moose and a couple of deer with it.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
...So far I've gotten one moose and a couple of deer with it.
A moose!?! Impressive. Please tell me how that went! How many trips, etc...
Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 AM

With a decent trail I can haul 100 pounds on the trailer. The moose I actually packed out with a quad later in the day. I use the bike (with lights) to ride in just before first light. I can then move from area to area through out the morning if I want to. It's way faster than walking. I can pack a deer in one trip. I've also used the trailer to pack in a camp in places where no motorized vehicles are allowed. I can pack my full camp and rifle spoting scope etc, the 11 km into the white Rabbit in less than an hour. I usually ride at between 12 and 15 km/hr.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Here is a pic of me and my rig. This is the 28th of Nov on an Elk hunt 11km into the White Rabbit.
Mountain Bike huntingresized.JPG
Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Default Nice!

Nice one Fatboyz, there are more MTB hunters out there than I realized, cool. I've got the Burley trailer ready to go if required...
Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Here is a pic of me and my rig. This is the 28th of Nov on an Elk hunt 11km into the White Rabbit.
Attachment 27887
is that one wheel in the back or 2?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Attachment 27887
Do you have a close up shot of the trailer you could share? I took out my little guys trailer for a hunt earlier this year. Overall I was happy with it, but if indeed you have only 1 wheel, it would be that much better.

Here's a couple pics from a trip this fall.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
Do you have a close up shot of the trailer you could share? I took out my little guys trailer for a hunt earlier this year. Overall I was happy with it, but if indeed you have only 1 wheel, it would be that much better.

Here's a couple pics from a trip this fall.

Glad you left out the picture of me hitching a ride in the trailer. Didn't think you would have noticed the extra weight so quickly.

To answer the question in the original post I rode my mtn bike with my backpack on and rifle strapped to the pack.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 10-22-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Kewl stuff. I've done it with backpacks before, but that BMX version of the bob trailer looks great!

Would you be willing to show us how you made that? I would love to build something like that for my forays into 936 etc...

Stinky
Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 PM

I'll get a close up pic of it. It's my own version of the BOB trailer shown below. I use an actual BOB attachment, but I use a 48 spoke 20" Bmx wheel. THe kind the guys use on the big vert ramps. It has a lot of lateral stability.
It has just one wheel so it tracks the same as the bike. I can ride over downed logs up to about 10" in diameter, even with a full load.
bob trailer.bmp
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM

Nice suggestions guys! I will definitely try biking with a rifle this season in 936....hope the whitetail sweet spot I found last year is still there. love the kid trailer converted to game cart too.

Also scouting for moose for next year.....again, thanks for the ideas!
jen
Old 10-28-2010, 04:27 AM

for late season riding try studded tires. You can buy them at MEC, or make them in an evening with an old set of tires and about 250 3/8" sheet metal screws. You need to put about 3 layers of duct tape over the screw heads on the inside of the tire so you don't get a puncture.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 PM

This is way to funny. I started getting back into biking this summer, for my health, but as I was riding along I started thinking "I wonder if you could ride your mountain bike and hunt at the same time?" I thought about it and all of the sudden it seemed like a great idea, and here I thought I was the first to think of it. I guess not. Either way, that is a super cool rig you got there.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Let's revive this topic. Will be trying bicycle hunting this fall for first time, tech part is ready, now dotting and crossing remaining other i's and t's.

I understand that 'vehicle' as described in Firearms Act applies to bicycles therefore all non-restricted transporting rules apply:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...age-1.html#h-1
"“vehicle” means any conveyance that is used for transportation by water, land or air. (véhicule)"
Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

or not?

(4) Sections 10 and 14 do not apply to firearms that are used or handled by an individual in the course of hunting from a vehicle in a location in circumstances in which it is lawful for that individual to hunt from that vehicle in that location.

Here is section 10:
10. (1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if

(a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and

(b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.

(3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm

(a) is not visible; and

(b) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.

Section 14 related to Antiques.

So this effectively negates all in previous post. Gotta love Firearms Act.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 PM

I think there are a couple key points.

First my understanding -a firearm in a bicycle trailer would not be defended as unattended.

Second - if the firearms visible as in the case of a handlebar rifle rack, as long as it is rendered inoperable (removing the bolt and/or placing a trigger lock, then you should be good to go.

I am assuming that the bicycle is used as an access tool and that shoots are not being fired from it.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM

That's for bumping this, had this idea a few weeks ago but didn't remember to do my research and this just reminded me. Probably won't be doing this this year but it's now back on my radar.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

Well to fire from a bike one will have to get an extra set of hands at least

I was curious mostly about transpoting (NOT leaving unattended on the bike) in hunting areas - looks like same rules apply to non-restricted - has to be unloaded, and that's it. Which is common sense safety anyway.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/W10.pdf
Wildlife Act

Section 1:

“vehicle” means a device, other than an aircraft or boat,
in, on or by which a person or thing may be transported;

section 33:

Use of vehicles, boats and aircraft
33(1) A person shall not
(a) hunt wildlife from or with an aircraft,
(b) use a vehicle, aircraft or boat with intent to harass, injure
or kill wildlife,
(c) discharge a weapon from a vehicle, aircraft or boat, other
than a boat that is propelled by muscular power or
anchored, or
(d) have a loaded firearm on or in a vehicle, aircraft or boat,
other than a boat so propelled or anchored.

e.g. vehicle is a vehicle as long as there is no mentioning of a vehicle "propelled by muscular power" and no exception for it as there is one for a boat that is propelled by muscular power. That's how I read this. Feel free to correct me.

Last edited by V_1; 08-04-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 PM

thanks aswell for resurrecting the post, must have missed it. i have been planning similar trips for the past few years and from what i have read, it certainly looks do-able. wonder how the no suspension bikes do on those rough/rocky horse trails.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

After trying some trips recently, I'd say - you will be standing up on these extra-rocky stretches most of the time anyway... They will do just fine, IMO. I was told that suspension may be even detrimental to load capacity. I plan 'preloading' front suspension of my bike if I will be lucky to haul something heavy out. Hard to explain why - my colleague advised me to do that, hope he's right.