Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2011, 02:27 PM

Default I`m to old for oil rig jobs???

Hi there, i`m a 42 year old male who works as a roofer in alberta. I was thinking of getting a oil rig job, they`re hiring a lot right now. My buddy sad i might be to old already for that kinda job. Anybody here who can give me an advise??? My job as a roofer requires strong physical skills too, so i`m the kinda guy who`s able to work hard.

thanks...nightliner
Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM

id like to drive truck in the rigs, just have no off road experience with class 1 other than gravel roads, lol but at 33 i may be getting to old too
Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 PM

You could handle it being a roofer, especially on these newer rigs with iron roughnecks guys dont even learn to throw tongs anymore. Pulling slips, handling pipe, and scrubbing would be you more "difficult" duites.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightliner View Post
Hi there, i`m a 42 year old male who works as a roofer in alberta. I was thinking of getting a oil rig job, they`re hiring a lot right now. My buddy sad i might be to old already for that kinda job. Anybody here who can give me an advise??? My job as a roofer requires strong physical skills too, so i`m the kinda guy who`s able to work hard.

thanks...nightliner

Heck no bud, Iv seen guys who are in there late 50"s and early 60's on the rigs. Also look up testing, and there various jobs in the oilfield that you could try
Old 01-02-2011, 03:36 PM

My uncle is your age and he is a lease hand on a rig. Like steve said your "difficult" duties are not that strenuous. I know they are begging guys to drive water trucks or vac trucks on the rigs. We can't find trucks and if we do find a truck the company doesn't have any drivers. Water truck is fairly easy and no getting dirty. Hardest part of the job is drilling the hole in the ice the 1st day.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Try getting on one of the smaller modular slant rigs running in shallow hole country.
Like steve said with the addition of a hydraulic racking/pickup arm and more modular...less taking apart and putting together on moves.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 PM

The motorhand I worked with was 55, so your good. Get a job on a larger triple if you like some slack time or if you like being moderately busy then double or small triple, if you want to run your butt off then singles. It probably won't matter cause they'll send you where they need you the first time out. If it was me I'd get a job on one of the newer hydraulic rigs or a modern large triple they usually work the most after you've put in some time.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:20 PM

thank you guys for your opinions, i think it makes my decision a lot easier now.
Does somebody know anything about Beaver Drilling LTD in Edmonton? I just filled out an Application and going to drop it off tomorrow in there Office. I read also a lot of good stuff about Trinidad. I just wanna start my oil field career with the right company. So if anybody here know`s something about it please let me know...

thanks a lot...nightliner
Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 PM

Go with trinidad...better Iron.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
The motorhand I worked with was 55, so [...]
Age itself is not the problem. You have to be in very good shape, quick, and have a sharp mechanical aptitude. Also, you have to know and appreciate all the systems going on, and all the energy involved. There's extremely heavy metal, high-pressure steam, high-performance hydraulics, all moving fast and you're in the middle of it. Residential roofing won't prepare you for that unless you're OK with being a lease hound.

Tripping in/out, things go fast-fast-fast. (It was like going to a rock concert for 12 hours at a time). Especially if one of the other hands is sick and a second one quits before tour starts. It's a whole new experience throwing chain and working both tongs all by yourself. When that's not happening, you're packing tons of gel up slippery bent stairs, fixing or replacing busted mechanical parts, trying not to get thrown off the stick by a severely bent and vibrating kelly, figuring out if mud backflow from the stem box is really a bump or not, fighting short-change sleep loss and getting screamed at by some psychotic digger who's too unstable to hold a city job working with other people. Oh yeah, and not being able to see more than 2 feet in front of you because somebody steamed the tongs at -40 degrees, slipping on worn mirror-smooth floor plate, coming nose-to-nose with a black bear snooping around the incinerator, etc...

I remember coming back to a big old mechanical triple after long change, and all the stands in a 10,000 foot well had been just tossed out the door after being broken off, instead of put in the stand or laid down properly. Looked like a bunch of matchsticks had been dumped out of a box. Most of that crew quit after that one.

One other night, a bearing seized at the top of a vertical roller bar protecting the digger from the make-up tong. The crazy bastard got out a grinder, climbed up on top of it, and ground off the top nut and spindle in pieces. He screamed at me to get over there, then threw the chunks in my hands and said go get another one from the push. OK, (at 3 am) I went over to the push's trailer, knocked for about 10 minutes. Push came out all groggy and sleepy said what the fck do you want. I said the driller needs a new one of these, showed him the shrapnel. He said what the fck is that? I said a nut from the headache bar. He closed the door and went back to sleep. I went back to the digger and said the push was busy. Digger said what the fck do you mean? I told him, he went apesht and ran down to the push's trailer hammered on the door for 10 minutes. Don't know what happened after that.

Also FYI, one new guy on the crew is OK. Two new guys could lead to one of the experienced guys quitting at any time or a nasty injury. All new guys and a green digger gives a better than even chance that somebody will get killed on a tour.

After a couple shifts, have somebody to show you how to work the chain and tongs when things are relatively quiet. Before they're short for help some night, you get thrown into a new position, and a bunch of people start screaming 6 different things at you at the same time. Same goes for working up the stick.

If you can fit into that, then you're OK.

Last edited by BallCoeff.435; 01-02-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
It's a whole new experience throwing chain and working both tongs all by yourself. have somebody to show you how to work the chain and tongs when things are relatively quiet.
Don't know what rigs your working but i ain't seen anyone spinning chain in 10 yrs.
Oldest leasehand i saw was 66 yrs old on a Jomax rig.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600twin View Post
Don't know what rigs your working but i ain't seen anyone spinning chain in 10 yrs.[...]
Hallelujah.

(Too bad, in a way. That was kinda fun actually...)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Default not to steel any ones thread on jobs in oil patch

I just got a letter in the mail my class 1 is revoked due to health problems,
next thing i have expience in is operateing heavy equipment building leases and acsess to leases and reclemation , does any one know of any one looking for a cat skinner????
Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Never heard of drilling 10,000 feet, maybe 3000meters.
Some rigs still have spinning chain but not many,

I Roughneck on a Super Single and the job gets boring but never slow. I am 32 years old and some days get run off my feet, while the majority of the time I just stay busy between tripping pipe, keeping things clean and rig moves every three or 4 days. The money is good and the work is honest.

Most anyone can work the rigs, it is mind over matter and hope your crew are not a bunch if idiots.

I miss throwing tongs, and hate fixing hydraulic leaks. But times are changing, Lead, Follow or get out of the way.

Good luck with your new job prospects. Beaver Drilling is a decent company seem to maintain work when others do not.
Also check out Precision Drilling, Ensign Drilling, Stoneham, Jomax, Nabors, Eagle, Savanah, and list goes on a bit.

Arrive with a postive attitude and keep it going.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=ctd;784395]Never heard of drilling 10,000 feet, maybe 3000meters. /QUOTE]

Got lucky in 1995-1996 and got the last 5 months of a 14 month well north of Nordegg with a TD of 6100 meteres..........sure tripped a lot.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Gone Fishing

Working rigs was for me a great way to make great cash and never a dull moment. What convinced me to leave them behind was seeing a 55 year old guy working as a lease hand. That was when I was 30 and I made the move to get away from the rigs. I now have my Millwright ticket and although my tong slinging days are over, they were some good times.
I would suggest to you that if you can go back to school or find someone willing to apprentice you, that in the long term would be the better choice.
On a side note, I worked for Beaver back in the day and found them to be descent employers.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightliner View Post

thanks...nightliner
if your a good hard working roofer youll have no troubles on the rigs as far as physical work goes
Old 01-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Don't know what rigs your working but i ain't seen anyone spinning chain in 10 yrs.
Akita rig 1 still spins chain, it's a bow island single hasn't changed since the 60's
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

My general observations have been that the smaller the rig the faster the pace, the super singles trip pipe with minimal effort but I've seen them jump holes every 3-4 days, sometimes less, which can mean alot of rigging up and out. A hard working roofer should do alright on a drilling rig. I dont know if I'd reccomend working on a service rig to anyone, I worked a small single for a winter servicing shallow heavy oil wells for CNRL in Wabasca and the pace was insane, the crews rough, and the rotation brutal if it existed at all. Although I enjoyed it I'm pretty sure I've become a worse person because of that winter.

Last edited by Cal; 01-02-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
I just got a letter in the mail my class 1 is revoked due to health problems,
next thing i have expience in is operateing heavy equipment building leases and acsess to leases and reclemation , does any one know of any one looking for a cat skinner????
You would be a perfect candidate for a water hauler.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Hi guys, thanks for all the informations you gave me. I will keep all your advise in mind. If i screw up i can go back on the roof and think about it as an experience. But i wanna give it a try.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I've been spinning chain for the last 4 years
Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Akita rig 1 still spins chain, it's a bow island single hasn't changed since the 60's
Akita still has several singles with chains on em could still b as many as 5 of em
Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Akita still has several singles with chains on em could still b as many as 5 of em
Floor would be a little tight with a pipespinner eh.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 PM

I worked for Sanjel for years when I was younger. No problem for an older guy and I could still do that job no problem. They were a great company to work for at the time and I know they are looking. They will train you to get your class 1. I had mine after only 3 months. You really learn how to drive and its challenging and fun getting those big units in and out of the leases. Roofing is a tough gig and you would be way happier doing a oilfiield servicing gig....

Safety
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM

get a job on a swab rig, rig in rig and tank, half an hour then change cups maybe once an hour or so. I ran one for 5 years, great money, easy job, 21 and 7 schedual. Pm for details if you wany.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 PM

I'd say at 40+ rigging is not impossible, but really depends on the individual. I worked service and drilling rigs between 2001-2008. The kids fresh out of high school are missing 10 years of training that used to happen on the farm. If you have some hands on experiance you'll be ahead leaps and bounds.

@ $25/hr you really SHOULD be able to run a grease gun!!

I'd highly recommend Precision Well Servicing or Drilling, just try to stay out of the heavy oil, it is alot harder for the same pay.

JT.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Hey there I could help with a Jon in Drayton Valley. On the service rigs
Old 01-03-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
Age itself is not the problem. You have to be in very good shape, quick, and have a sharp mechanical aptitude. Also, you have to know and appreciate all the systems going on, and all the energy involved. There's extremely heavy metal, high-pressure steam, high-performance hydraulics, all moving fast and you're in the middle of it. Residential roofing won't prepare you for that unless you're OK with being a lease hound.

Tripping in/out, things go fast-fast-fast. (It was like going to a rock concert for 12 hours at a time). Especially if one of the other hands is sick and a second one quits before tour starts. It's a whole new experience throwing chain and working both tongs all by yourself. When that's not happening, you're packing tons of gel up slippery bent stairs, fixing or replacing busted mechanical parts, trying not to get thrown off the stick by a severely bent and vibrating kelly, figuring out if mud backflow from the stem box is really a bump or not, fighting short-change sleep loss and getting screamed at by some psychotic digger who's too unstable to hold a city job working with other people. Oh yeah, and not being able to see more than 2 feet in front of you because somebody steamed the tongs at -40 degrees, slipping on worn mirror-smooth floor plate, coming nose-to-nose with a black bear snooping around the incinerator, etc...

If you can fit into that, then you're OK.
pressure chance of never coming home.... where do i sign up

btw ballcoell.435 (sp) 3000meters is 9 842.5 feet
Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 PM

It's not for everyone, that's for sure. Can be a miserable experience, can also be great. on the other hand, looking back, I'm glad I tried it out. Gives perspective. Many other jobs look easy (and lower paying) after that. Made my living at it for 4 or 5 years.
Although seeing those 40-50 year old motor men and lease hounds was enough to make me wonder if there was something with a better future.........so off I went, still looking. If I gotta go back, well that's what I'll do, but I'll try other stuff first.. just not where I want to be in my older age.

42's not too old, just gotta be lucky and hope you get on a good crew, and listen to the experienced hands, they can make you sink or swim. And remember- don't put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your $#@%.