Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM

Exclamation Crossbows - Did the die hard bowhunters get thier way?

Did they die hard bow hunters get their way? Or are too many people unsure and uneducated about crossbows?

This afternoon at the AFGA conference SRD announced that there will be no special crossbow season in 2011.

At the end of hunting season there was a hunter survey sent out to Alberta RELM users. The last question had to do with if you were in favor of having a special crossbow season before the regular rifle season.
The results were as is:
37% Yes
44% No
19% Neutral

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Default crossgun

Hopefully this holds it off for a few years I like our general seasons.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

Thanks for posting Rocky! It's probably a good thing to not introduce this year anyway with the winter that we've had. They might want to re-evaluate the 2 supplemental doe tags this year as well. From what I've been reading on AO our wildlife is hurting, except for the coyotes.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:12 PM

So no special season, but the debate was around whether Crossbows would be classified as general archery equipment and be allowed during ALL archery seasons. Was this defeated aswell?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Looks like the hard work of provincial bowhunting organizations has paid off. Thanks to all that did their part to keep our archery seasons safe.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
Looks like the hard work of provincial bowhunting organizations has paid off. Thanks to all that did their part to keep our archery seasons safe.
So the provincial bowhunting organizations single handedly quashed this proposal all by themselves?

Knowing what their position was it seems a waste of time for SRD to even bother polling Alberta RELM users eh?

If you can stop patting yourself on the back long enough have a look at the % for and against in the OP .
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 PM

Your right hunter dave lots of people realize that crossbows do not belong in archery seasons. Not just bowhunting organizations. Good point.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 PM

Great news!!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 PM

The majority has spoken.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:54 PM

Im surprised at the vote but very happy with the outcome..

Hopefully they leave it alone now for a few years..

I have nothing against Crossbows but dont feel they belong in the Archery season and would like to see them have a season of there own..

I plan on buying one in the future but will be content to hunt with it during the General rifle seasons...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The majority has spoken.
x2 The people Have spoken,democracy Rules!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your right hunter dave lots of people realize that crossbows do not belong in archery seasons. Not just bowhunting organizations. Good point.
You're welcome. Sorry to burst your bubble though.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
1. Did they die hard bow hunters get their way?

2. Or are too many people unsure and uneducated about crossbows?

This afternoon at the AFGA conference SRD announced that there will be no special crossbow season in 2011.

At the end of hunting season there was a hunter survey sent out to Alberta RELM users. The last question had to do with if you were in favor of having a special crossbow season before the regular rifle season.
The results were as is:
37% Yes
44% No
19% Neutral
1. Probably. But they were assisted by other hunters too..

2. In your estimation, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Im surprised at the vote but very happy with the outcome..

Hopefully they leave it alone now for a few years..

I have nothing against Crossbows but dont feel they belong in the Archery season and would like to see them have a season of there own..

I plan on buying one in the future but will be content to hunt with it during the General rifle seasons...
It's just like the Quebec "never endin' referendum" isn't it. They lost the battle, they lost the fight, but they don't give up...
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
:
Old 02-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Thats god news. A Crossbow is on my wish list also. I want one to spot and stalk bears. I don't think they belong during archery season though
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Or are too many people unsure and uneducated about crossbows?
I work at Bass Pro and I am telling you that way more than half of the people that want to buy one think they are a 75 - 100 yard tool. They see a scope and figure they can fling a pointy stick whichever way they choose.

This is in my opinion what is wrong with the crossbow. Too many folks are too lazy to be proficient with a compound and figure they can roll in with a crossbow and get critters that hang up out of range.

I think that if we implement a season for them, there should be some sort of training required. Educate folks on the effective range and how an arrow kills. By the way, I feel this way about any bowhunting. I know I could have used more education in the first couple of seasons I was bowhunting. It would have helped me in so many ways.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Very happy and excited to hear this news. Glad to see the majority of the bowhunters in the province came together on this one.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Its celebration time. Thanks to the ABA and everyone who vote no!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Did they die hard bow hunters get their way? Or are too many people unsure and uneducated about crossbows?

The results were as is:
37% Yes
44% No
19% Neutral
What would be intresting to Know is how many surveys went out and how many were answered. Was the survey intrest low or High.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Gone Hunting

This is all about SRD's own poll, and decision.

On Sat. at the AG&GA resolutions discussions, there is one requesting a "primitive weapons season", if you will, including Muzzle loaders and cross-bows in some areas.

If that one passes with a good majority SRD may have something else to think about.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 02-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
Its celebration time. Thanks to the ABA and everyone who vote no!
Would someone mind explaining to me exactly how ABA could have possibly effected the outcome of the SRD poll.............I mean other than telling their membership which way to vote on it? It might just be me but a few of the comments on this thread seem somewhat elitist* and not realistic. I'll admit that I may be missing something here though.

*"Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elite — a select group of people with intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight or those who view their own views as so; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern."
Old 02-26-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Would someone mind explaining to me exactly how ABA could have possibly effected the outcome of the SRD poll.............I mean other than telling their membership which way to vote on it? It might just be me but a few of the comments on this thread seem somewhat elitist* and not realistic. I'll admit that I may be missing something here though.

*"Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elite — a select group of people with intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight or those who view their own views as so; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern."
Sounds like sour grapes to me. The ABA made a lot of people aware of the issue and also presented there case to SRD. Like others have said the majority has spoken. I guess you will just have to look harder for that shot gun permision.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
What is your comment about uneducated supposed to mean?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

An elite? Ok but an elite that anyone can join...just pick up a bow.... does not sound like it involves much intellect, wealth or any of the other stuff....you just have to buy a bow and practice. Sounds more like sour grapes to me. The vote did not go my way so everyone sucks and are uneducated.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Whats the real problem behind allowing cross bows? A large portion of the bow hutners out there seem to be using a bow that if you turn it side ways would be the same as using a cross bow. The skill level for using both proficiently is about the same, they both shoot arrows and they both use a stiring under tension to propel their arrow.

To me most of the bow hunting equipment should not be considered primitative anyways, so really it is a loosing arguement. I think the bow season/ primitive season should encompass Muzzle loader/bow and cross bow. But it should be with restrictions on each for variables as min and max string weight and velocities. This would be bring the season more inline with what is about and not just an extended season for who ever wants it to be with a heavily modified weapon.

To each their own. I also think you should get your tag and have most of the year to full fill it. but thats me
Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus32 View Post
An elite? Ok but an elite that anyone can join...just pick up a bow.... does not sound like it involves much intellect, wealth or any of the other stuff....you just have to buy a bow and practice. Sounds more like sour grapes to me. The vote did not go my way so everyone sucks and are uneducated.
I can't believe that you said that but if you say so.

Sour grapes? Not at all. I already own and hunt with a crossbow during archery only season. The decision had no direct effect on me regardless of which way it went. If people are going to declare that ABA was the organization that defeated the proposal then I'd like to know how.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Owlseye View Post
What is your comment about uneducated supposed to mean?
I can't speak for Rockymtnx but I took it as it meaning people having a limited amount of knowledge about crossbows as opposed to it possibly be taken out of context as people being stupid. I'm pretty sure that is what he meant.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
A large portion of the bow hutners out there seem to be using a bow that if you turn it side ways would be the same as using a cross bow.
There is one very significant distance, the archer that uses a regular bow has to hold the bow drawn using his muscles.

Quote:
The skill level for using both proficiently is about the same,
If a crossbow is already sighted in , virtually anyone can aim it at a target, pull the trigger and hit the target. With a standard bow, you need to be able to draw the bow, hold it drawn until you are ready to shoot, and then cleanly release the arrow.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Here we go.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

^^^^ lol. ya know dave, i would like to see a thread about this where only those with some experience hunting with a crossbow are allowed to chime in. the discussion would be much different without the fearmongers.