Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Default P.A.L course

hey everyone im taking my pal tomorrow and i was just wondering what is most important to know for the test?
thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Its all important, get the book and study it all!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:49 PM

A- assume all firearms are loaded
C- control the muzzle at all times
T- trigger finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard
S- see that the firearm is unloaded > PROVE it safe

P- point the firearm in a safe direction
R- remove all ammunition
O- observe the chamber
V- verify the feeding path
E- examine the bore

The examiner will expect that you PROVE a firearm safe each time you pick it up or put it down, and that you keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. If you point a firearm at the instructor or anyone else during the exam you will instantly be disqualified.
Take your time and think about each step before you do it. It's OK to ask about firearm functions during the exam (eg: you are unsure of how to release a slide or break an action), but the examiner will not hint at any of the procedures.
Keep your booger pickers off the bang switch! It is almost instinctual for people who are new to guns to put their finger on the trigger every time they pick one up, make a conscious effort NOT to do this. You'll lose points each time you do. The only exceptions are if a slide or magazine release is located in the trigger guard or you must manipulate the trigger to engage a half-cock safety. During the exam tell the examiner that you have to put your finger in the trigger guard to perform any neccesary steps.
It's really not that difficult, and if you read the book, you should be just fine.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 PM

Default Easy peasy

Don't worry.

I Last picked up a gun 20 years ago and scored 98% 4 weeks ago.

Make suer you know each of the Positions for holding a firearm and how to cross a fence.

It's 100% that you wll be asked to identify a specific ammo from a pile. The test is in 2 parts. 1 written 1 hands on.

Also know legal light

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 PM

GOB's post, above, is pretty much bang-on. All the stuff that is emphasized over and over, like ACTS and PROVE; basic firearm identification; selecting appropriate ammo; etc. Biggest thing in the practical (as has already been stated) watch muzzle direction and keep fingers away from trigger. Test isn't hard if you've prepared yourself. I got 100% on both parts without too much effort, 4 years ago.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-30-2011, 10:09 PM

http://www.gunexams.com/index.cfm?REFID=114

This website is a free practise exam, not the actuall one but it will give you a good idea of the questions that you will be facing. I got the book for 2 weeks, studied it and wrote the test, I scored 100% on both parts, but like good Ol' Boy said, keep that finger off the trigger, and keep the muzzle pointed at the ground.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:48 AM

most all the of the people who get mistakes on the written part didnt read the question properly.take your time with it.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Gone Hunting

3 women in my class at the end of the day still could not tell the difference between bolt action, break action, pump action, or leaver action. The entire class passed. There is not a snowballs chance in hell you will fail.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 05-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
3 women in my class at the end of the day still could not tell the difference between bolt action, break action, pump action, or leaver action. The entire class passed. There is not a snowballs chance in hell you will fail.
Then the instructor failed too....
Old 05-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
i agree.that will never happen in one of my classes.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by feserboy View Post
hey everyone im taking my pal tomorrow and i was just wondering what is most important to know for the test?
thanks
Duhhhhhh!, don't point the gun at the instructor? Why is it that AO is so much more populated by clowns? thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Wow. No kidding. An instructor who is unable to clearly convey something as simple the differences between the actions has no business teaching.

That being said, I did see someone legitimately fail in '99.

And, I was almost failed on the practical portion of the non-restricted: I refused to point the rifle in the direction I was told too, as I was unwilling to "pretend" that there wasn't a person standing there (don't know how I'm supposed to assume a gun is loaded and then point it at a person). That turned into a heck of a blowout, and I'm quite sure the instructor finally acquiesced just to shut me up.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Duhhhhhh!, don't point the gun at the instructor? Why is it that AO is so much more populated by clowns? thanks
I had a student point a firearm at me during a practical exam 2 weeks ago, instant fail. It happens, gitrdun, and isn't anything to clown around about. He can re-challenge, but may have to submit to an interview with the CFO before his application is approved.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:28 PM

Passing someone who can't or wont practice firearms safety....wow that an instructor would do the rest of us and our sports that "favour".