Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM
sheephunter

Default Reloading Benches

I'd be interested to see how most people have their reloading bench laid out. Post up some pics!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 PM

my brother just built himself this bench:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammun...07/index3.html

hope that link still works lol
Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Here is mine...set up in the garage.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 PM

i just finished my downstairs in my house and have a 90 degree bench built out of mdf. im not too puter iliterate and dont know how to post pics. i have the press on the right with the main chair and the case trimmer on the left at another chair/station. have a shelf below with all the cartridge specific organized and another set of shelf above the main bench. ive painted the room in a multi cam scheme. the case tumbler is ran on a switch so when i leave i just turn off the light and turn it on. book shelves,an ammo shelf and a gun safe in the closet. love seat couch and small coffee table so i can read or clean weapons. i just love it. laptop can go by the case trimmer in between that and the e-powder weigher.my wife said no coffee maker so that id have to come upstairs sometime. you guys would be envious i think as far as benches go.

how do you post pics?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:01 PM

There are no absolutes
Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 PM

-Billy Molls
Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 PM

Some pretty nice setups, but you might want to check you powder storage regulations. But we all know that those are empty containers holding other stuff right!!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
Some pretty nice setups, but you might want to check you powder storage regulations. But we all know that those are empty containers holding other stuff right!!
Do tell. What are the storage regulations?

I do have a locker.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-25-2011, 07:09 PM

Here is a link to the CSSA
http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/leg...reloaders.html

Also a link to the NFA
http://www.nfa.ca/nrcan-handloading-explosives-act

Only 2kg of powder out of the suitable non-conductive locked, labelled container at one time. So only 4 of the one pound containers out of the container for use at one time. You have 7 that I can see, but they make great storage for small parts.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 PM

This is what my main room looks like when everything ( including the rifle presses) is put away.
They bolt onto the bench beside the Lyman

The drawers are full of dies, and bullets, and the corner one is where the presses are kept

Most of my shotgun loading is done in the garage however......
Cat
Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Also a link to the NFA

Only 2kg of powder out of the suitable non-conductive locked, labelled container at one time. So only 4 of the one pound containers out of the container for use at one time. You have 7 that I can see, but they make great storage for small parts.

And have you checked your home owners insurance to see if you have too much propane, gasoline, paint thinners, and all other flamables stored properly?

When is the last time you did a full blown functional check on your smoke alarms, security system, and when is the last time your fire extinguisher was checked by someone actually trained to do so?

Until your own potential issues are totally in check, pointing out little nuances in someone elses life is pretty lame.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Gone Hunting

X2!!!!....just one thread, ONE!!!!...without a super hero......
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 PM
sheephunter

What's your case trimmer sitting on elk and is it fastened directly to the bench?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM

My case trimmer is mounted solid to the bench, with a piece of 2x4 as a spacer, to provide clearance to turn the handle.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Also a link to the NFA

My door to my reloading room has a lock on it....so I am in my locked container at all times

Lefty
Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Last time i posted a pic of my bench, "209x50" said it looked like a hydroponics set up

So im not gonna post my pics. Im gonna sit here and pout instead. Thanks Sheep for opening that wound again.......

Lol
Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
And have you checked your home owners insurance to see if you have too much propane, gasoline, paint thinners, and all other flamables stored properly?

When is the last time you did a full blown functional check on your smoke alarms, security system, and when is the last time your fire extinguisher was checked by someone actually trained to do so?

Until your own potential issues are totally in check, pointing out little nuances in someone elses life is pretty lame.
I didn't know we were allowed to post pics of an illegal act on this forum. I didn't attack Chuck at all, and I was pretty polite about it. I see I was missinformed about posting pics of illegal things and that is fine on Alberta outdoorsman. My appologies Chuck. Post away...
Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't know we were allowed to post pics of an illegal act on this forum. I didn't attack Chuck at all, and I was pretty polite about it. I see I was missinformed about posting pics of illegal things and that is fine on Alberta outdoorsman. My appologies Chuck. Post away...

Growing up I remember dads rifle being in the corner behind the door for easy access.

So were all the neighbors rifles.

Nobody died!!

Whats your experiences longbomber?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:13 PM
sheephunter

Just trying to get an idea of how people layout their reloading benches....ugh. Any pics would be appreciated.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 PM

I have my reloading bench configured as an "L" shape. I sit in the elbow of the "L" and My press is situated on my RH side. I prefer this to one long bench, way more efficient use of my space and most everything is within reach. Don't mount anything too permanently for the first bit.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
So you are now accusing me of posting pictures of an illegal act? Just how in the world do you know that it is? ANYONE that has been in my reloading room knows I have a powder locker that is locked and actually contains ALL my powder. That list of people includes officers of the law that have been invited in and who are friends. So carry on with your assumptive slander.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-26-2011, 08:14 AM

ANYWAYS......

I don't have any pictures of my reloading setup because it has yet to find a permanent home in my workshop. Right now I'm using an old router table that I screwed a 3/4" piece of MDF to as a new top. I have my Load-All II and my turret press bolted to the top and my RCBS Chargemaster sitting to the left. Underneath there is a shelf that holds all my dies. The router table is adjustable for height so I have it at about 48" so it's more or less at chest level.

To the right I have a Master Craft two piece tool chest that acts as storage for my shell holders, case trimmers, calipers, manuals, wrenches, etc. In the bottom I put ammo cans, PLASTIC powder storage, etc.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 AM

Cat's room makes the rest of us look like a bunch of messy teenagers. You thinking of getting into reloading Sheep?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Last time i posted a pic of my bench, "209x50" said it looked like a hydroponics set up

So im not gonna post my pics. Im gonna sit here and pout instead. Thanks Sheep for opening that wound again.......

Lol
I said that?! Must have been true then.

My area is under construction, for the last time I hope. I'll install the cabinetry and mount my tools again when I get back from Africa. I want mine to look cool and neat like Cat's!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM

I find that the most important requirement for a loading bench, is that bench is solid. If it shakes and moves around as you use the press, your scale will likely not remain zeroed, and components will roll around. I have seen presses that are mounted on flimsy tables, and they cause nothing but frustration for someone trying to load. I built my own bench from 2x4s and a 1" plywood top, all screwed together with wood screws, and threaded rods. I then added about 200lbs of lead shot to the bases to make it even more solid. When I move into my retirement home, I plan on anchoring the bench to the concrete floor.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Mine isn't as permanent as I'd like it, but it's worked for me purposes. I bought a used desk from an office furniture place and just added a few shelves to help me keep organized.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
Cat's room makes the rest of us look like a bunch of messy teenagers. You thinking of getting into reloading Sheep?
Ya, I thought I might wander across the line to the dark side. The bench is built and I was curious as to how people laid there's out.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Since I had "Firm" instructions from my CEO to confine my reloading to a small area out of reach of my young boys, I was left with a small space inside the "Cold Room" in my basement. My usable space was no more than 16" wide by 36" wide. Now, that is tiny, but I made it work. The advantage of working in a small area is that you HAVE to stay organized and can't clutter. I also build a cabinet to go above the bench and another one to go above the gun safe. I store my powder in the latter, keeping it away from the primers.

Let me also tell you the unique features of my bench:

I added a 3" high "Lip" all around the bench so that powder or primers don't fall off! You should be able to see it in the first picture.
I used MDF for the top surface and painted it.
I lag bolted the legs and the table top to the studs behind the wall for a more rigid setup.
I build a storage rack under for dies.

If someone needs a copy of my hand drawn plans, just shoot me a PM.

Sincerely,

CH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reloading Bench (Small).jpg (32.1 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Cabinet (Small).jpg (16.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Well I was going to post pics of what I have but out of fear that someone might try to tell me I am breaking the law I think I will pass on the hassle....I am a grown MAN and I don't need a scolding from an internet random.

Lefty