Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 AM

Default My frustrating day of shipping a rifle with DHL

Well last week on Monday I had to head out to BC. So I thought I would ship out the rifle i sold to a very nice individual who bought it in Thunder Bay Ontario. We talked and decide to go with DHL. Since the postal strike had been going on for awhile. Anyways I went to the DHL on 109st-184ave with the rifle packed ready to go. My first mistake was telling them it was a firearm.

The guy goes in the back to talk to the manager, I'm the only person there. He comes out and says " we can't ship it, you don't have the proper paperwork to ship it." My response. " What paperwork?" His response. " Paperwork from the government that says you can ship the gun." My response. " I've already talked to the CFO and they have approved the transfer. Secondly i don't need paperwork to ship a firearm, and thirdly how am I going to get the paperwork when there is a strike?" His response " I guess you're out of luck. There is a canandian soildier in jail right now because he tried to mail a gun back from Afghanistan. That's why you can't ship the gun." I said " he's in jail cause he tried to ship a prohibited firearm that isn't a prohibited weapon." He says' You can't ship the gun." I said "you guys are a bunch of primitive screwheads!" and left.

I called the guy in Thunder Bay and explained what had happened and he was shocked. He used to work for Ducks Unlimited. He said wait a few minutes he would make some phone calls and get back to me.

Forty minutes later. He calls back and sure enough DHL does ship firearms they just need a copy of the guns registration and your PAL. AAARGH! Theysaid if I had any problems just have the person call the manager at logistics. I was fuming. I head back for round 2.

Back to DHL walk through the door. Loong line up there's my nemesis. Primitive screw-head. I get to the front of the line. He says " What are you doing here?!" I say " I want to ship this rifle and i have the registration right here and my Possession and acquisition license right here and if you have a problem with it you can call this person at this number as you don't seem to know DHL policy." He takes my Pal and registration and refuses the number and says wait here and dissappears into the back. He's gone for 10 minutes. Comes back out with the photocopy of the registration and Pal and begins the paperwork for the delivery.

As this is taking place out come his supervisor to question me. " Does the rifle have a firing pin? " My response" Yes of course the rifle has a firing pin. What good is it if it doesn't have a firing pin? Do you mean is it in the rifle? then no the bolt has been taken out and is wrapped up and packed in the box." Then he asks " Is there bullets with the rifle? I stare at him and shake my head " No there aren't any bullets with the rifle because that would be illegal." The wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead. Where do they find these people.

After all this is done it comes to 48.83 cause there is a security charge as they have to lock it up in a special cage. The rifle is suppose to be there on Wednesday. It got there on Friday. So much for 2 day delivery. Never again. I think I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork. I ended up leaving for BC at 8:00pm that night because of this hassle. Stress I could have done without.

SycoSean
Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 AM

FIRST MISTAKE!!
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TELL ANYBODY what is in the box!!!
The box is sealed, they are bonded,and that is all that matters, by law, shipped with signature required.
It could be a set of golf clubs for that matter.

Cat
Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Rancher_49

Default Shipping rifles

In the past few months I have shipped two rifles to differnt towns in Saskatchewan via Greyhound. They don't ask whats in the box. All they do is measure and weigh the parcel. Two to three days delivery. Cost around $30. They both got there on time too. No fuss no muss, no paperwork.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 AM

Ran into almost the same problem at the same location on the same day!!! Wort part was they quoted me 44.00 on the phone and when it was all said and done...91.00!!! No choice unfortunately as the rifle had to get there...that coupled with the rude guy at the front...I took a moment to discuss the staff member's attitude with the manager there as well...I won't be using DHL ever again.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 AM

Wow... That's insane. I never ever say what's in the box. Then again I use Greyhound alot. A bunch of times they have asked what's in it.. I'll. Say a nice price of wood a buddy is going to be carving for me. Lol.

Greyhound is fast for anything... I shipped a gun one Morning.... To Winnipeg..... It was there the next day.

Ya ya I know.. Greyhound doesn't ship firearms..... As I've been told on here many many times
Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 AM

I just shipped a TC barrell with Purolator yesterday. Quote for DHL was $88 Purolator was $44 by phone and when I took it in to Purolator it ended up at $31. Two day or less delivery Red Deer to Cold Lake. Now its wait and see. Sure was hectic at the shop.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 AM

nothing but bad luck with DHL..we use them for our company mail..they are hopeless..complaining does not help you just get a Ponoka stare
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Default Dhl

DHL is a joke. Our company has used them for a few years and i finnally had enough of their crap. Nothing was ever on time, i had to run all over the country to pick up stuff that wasnt delivered to the right location. Not to mention the driver was a complete dick. i told them last week that they wont b delivering to my shop anymore and the driver looked at me like i really owed him something. I have since switched to tiger and they have been excellent.

gilly
Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 AM

DHL is probably the worst of all the courier companies available to us.

Never met a person or company that didnt have a horror story with them.

Shipped numerous rifles through Puro over the years and have never been let down.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM

I bought a new rifle last year and had it shipped DHL 2day del. and a week later it still wasn't here I talked to everyone at DHL with no results I finally told them that I was going to call the RCMP and report it stolen and I had my gun in 1 hour I'll never use DHL again hope they go broke
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Wow... That's insane. I never ever say what's in the box. Then again I use Greyhound alot. A bunch of times they have asked what's in it.. I'll. Say a nice price of wood a buddy is going to be carving for me. Lol.

Greyhound is fast for anything... I shipped a gun one Morning.... To Winnipeg..... It was there the next day.

Ya ya I know.. Greyhound doesn't ship firearms..... As I've been told on here many many times
Actually , it's not prohibited by law, but their own policies ar so conviluted that the employees are not sure what goes on!
Cat
Old 06-28-2011, 09:34 AM

It's always a set of golf clubs. None of them know there own policy and your just trying to explain it to them. I quit using them awhile back.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 AM
grind stone

After reading this thread all i can say is WOW .
Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 AM

1st mistake... Telling them what's in the box.

2nd mistake... Giving them attitude. While there is no excuse for their lack of knowledge in regards to shipping firearms, these guys have been swamped due to the strike, and are probably stressed/overworked (I know, who isn't). I'm hoping you paid for insurance on the rifle, because I'm willing to bet it goes missing, or is going to take a REALLY long time to get there. Giving someone attitude in the service industry (especially when you pay before using their services), is not a good idea. Kind of like ****ing of a waiter after you order your food, but before your food arrives.

With that being said, we use DHL on a regular basis, and yes it sucks.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
While there is no excuse for their lack of knowledge in regards to shipping firearms

They know their policies, it's others that don't agree with it. If you are traveling with the rifle you can take it, if you are using their "courier" service, they aren't suppose to accept it. As much as it doesn't make sense, that's their policy and they do know it!

Prohibited Articles

1. Participating Carriers will NOT accept or transport Express Shipments which, because of character, size or weight, are obnoxious to Passengers, or which are likely to be, or to become, objectionable to Passengers or prospective passengers or which are liable to cause injury to personnel, or to Baggage, other Shipments or the Company's equipment.

2. Except as otherwise specifically provided herein, Packages or Shipments which contain the following commodities, articles, materials, or substances, will NOT be accepted for transportation:

1. Alcoholic Beverages

2. Animals, Birds(ie Baby Chicks), Insects (ie Bees) and Reptiles - Live

3. Batteries, Electric Storage, wet (Containing Electrolyte Acid or Other Alkaline corrosive battery fluid)

4. Cash

5. Corpses and Cremated remains (Human or Animal)

6. Dangerous Goods subject to the Transportation of Dangerous Goods TDG regulations except limited quantity and exemptions in compliance with TDG regulations.

7. Equipment or Items containing Gasoline, Diesel, or other flammable liquids including residues, ie generators, mowers, chainsaws.

8. Firearms, including Rifles, Shotguns and Restricted Weapons.

9. Jewelry

10. Materials having disagreeable odour

11. Securities (Negotiable)

12. Tobacco, inter-provincial (i.e. across provincial boundaries)

http://www.shipgreyhound.ca/en/terms/
Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 AM

My mistake, I had read OP's original post and assumed the Ducks unlimited guy was correct, which by your post it isnt. Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 AM

I used to work with DHL on a daily basis. DHL is great for shipping outside of north america, they have the best network set up for out of country........however within Canada and the USA....they don't have a very good track record. I learned early on that you don't send things 2 day because they almost never meet the 2 day time period but are more then happy to charge you the 2 day money.