PDA

View Full Version : Arrow draw weight question- New to archery

El Carnicero
04-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Hi guys,
Very new to using a bow and learning about them.

I picked up my first compound bow (Bear Cruzer G2) during Christmas and am just getting into using it. Mostly just target stuff around the yard and playing around while I learn.

I started off at a 45# draw and am working up. I'm now up to 55#'s.
The arrows I started out with had a draw weight of 45-60#. I am now working my way up to the 65# draw weight range and so I recently purchased a new set of arrows for 65-80# draw weight.

My question is this.
Can I use these new 65-80# arrows while my bow is still set at the 55# draw as I work up to my 65# weight?

My understanding is that I can use the heavier arrows (65-80#) with a lighter bow draw, but will sacrifice precision and accuracy to some degree, but I CAN NOT use the lighter weighted (45-60#) arrows in a heavier draw weights such as when I get my bow up to 65+#?

Am I correct in my understanding?

nsmitchell
04-15-2019, 12:45 PM
You are fine using stiffer shafted heavier arrows to shoot.

El Carnicero
04-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Perfect.
Thanks.

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Arrows are selected via spine (stiffness). They are not spec’d on draw weight. Heavy point weight on a stiff shaft “breaks down” spine. Longer arrows and shorter arrow can have stiffer and weaker spine depending on length, point weight, etc. There is a lot that goes into arrow and setup selection. Manufacturers have charts to illustrate this. I suggest going to a local pro shop to make sure you have a good fit for your setup.

LC