PDA

View Full Version : Bass Pro and Cops

sheephunter
10-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Just a friendly heads up that the cops are watching the entrance to the mall like hawks. When you turn east on 566 off the QE2, it's 50kms per hour and the MD cop has set up residence there. I've been to BPS three times this week and seen him every time. They were also in Balsac filling their quota this morning. Drive slow!

Albertadiver
10-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Just a friendly heads up that the cops are watching the entrance to the mall like hawks. When you turn east on 566 off the QE2, it's 50kms per hour and the MD cop has set up residence there. I've been to BPS three times this week and seen him every time. They were also in Balsac filling their quota this morning. Drive slow!

X2 - see them there constantly.

gramps73
10-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up
g

AB2506
10-28-2009, 12:41 PM
I've been to BPS three times this week and seen him every time.

Make a list TJ! That way you will only have to make one trip.

sheephunter
10-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Make a list TJ! That way you will only have to make one trip.

No kidding...lol Well in fairness, one trip was to look at boats and another was to pick one up...the other was just plain forgetfullness.

river_runner
10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Just a friendly heads up that the cops are watching the entrance to the mall like hawks. When you turn east on 566 off the QE2, it's 50kms per hour and the MD cop has set up residence there. I've been to BPS three times this week and seen him every time. They were also in Balsac filling their quota this morning. Drive slow!Good for them i hate speeders:mad2::mad3::mad3: ps why rat out the MD cop ahh never mind.

sheephunter
10-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Good for them i hate speeders:mad2::mad3::mad3: ps why rat out the MD cop ahh never mind.

Because it's any easy place to go 60kph rather than 50. I was just telling people to watch their speeds, that's all.

steve0
10-28-2009, 01:01 PM
They were posted there all summer since they opened directing traffic and now they're there nabbing speeders!

I was there last night and they were set up at the intersection!

Watch your speeds!

BrownBear416
10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Good for them i hate speeders:mad2::mad3::mad3: ps why rat out the MD cop ahh never mind.

Pop the top on those meds bud and take a couple...lmao :lol:

Mike Rae
10-28-2009, 01:49 PM
No doubt river, I think its Midol hes thinking of!

Vindalbakken
10-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Because it's any easy place to go 60kph rather than 50. I was just telling people to watch their speeds, that's all.

I could easily buy that answer, and even commend you for it, but you had to include this:

They were also in Balsac filling their quota this morning.

Which is not a public service announcement in the interest of general safety. Sounds more like an anti-enforcement message instead.

dcutter
10-28-2009, 02:02 PM
They were also in Balsac filling their quota this morning. Drive slow!

Cops don't have quotas...they can write as many tickets as they want! :lol:

sheephunter
10-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Cops don't have quotas...they can write as many tickets as they want! :lol::lol::lol:

My earlier comment was tougue in cheek but that was just plain funny:lol::lol:

DAVE
10-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks SH was just heading out that way will keep an eye out.:wave:

river_runner
10-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Pop the top on those meds bud and take a couple...lmao :lol:

sorry i am saveing them care to share your's.:innocent:

Grizzly Adams
10-28-2009, 04:22 PM

I think the Md of Rockieview is particularly dilligent in enforcing their speed limits, some of them conveniently obscure. I put them in the same league as those notorious Southern US towns, where speed traps are a major industry.:lol:
Grizz

sheephunter
10-28-2009, 04:29 PM
I think the Md of Rockieview is particularly dilligent in enforcing their speed limits, some of them conveniently obscure. I put them in the same league as those notorious Southern US towns, where speed traps are a major industry.:lol:
Grizz

At the risk of bearing a berating by Vindalbakken, I'd have to agree.:innocent:

Albertadiver
10-28-2009, 04:57 PM
If I can help prevent a guy from getting a speeding ticket, I'm going to do so.

I'm not condoning speeding, but I'm still going to help a fella out, so I spose that I'd be promoting 'anti-enforcement'. :)

Vindalbakken
10-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Seems you have a reading comprehension problem Albertadiver. That would be promoting public safety wouldn't it?

TreeGuy
10-28-2009, 05:42 PM
:evilgrin:

Sheephunter and 209X50Cal Go To Basspro

The day was overcast, with a cold breeze blowing from the north. The 'boys' were running late as usual. Seems Uncle Jesse was in desparate need of a new burner for the still.:D

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/hazzard.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

They just had to be very careful. Rosco and Flash were lurking.......

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/SheriffRosco.jpg

Suddenly...............ahh crap. I'm laughing too hard right now to finish this one.!:lol:

Tree

rugatika
10-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Too funny Treee...

Sheep...you just keep on straightening those curves...and flattening the hills.

Thanks for the PSA.

Devlin
10-28-2009, 06:22 PM

Why rat them out? Because speed enforcement has a lot more to do with generating revenue than safety. Because speed limits are usually (residential areas aside) ridiculously too low. Because if the cops wanted to make the roads safer they could spend more time setting up check stops, or enforcing safe lane changes, tail gating, watching intersections etc. etc. I could go on but RR is pretty self righteous usually so it would be pointless I'm sure.

Albertahog
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Why rat them out? Because speed enforcement has a lot more to do with generating revenue than safety. Because speed limits are usually (residential areas aside) ridiculously too low. Because if the cops wanted to make the roads safer they could spend more time setting up check stops, or enforcing safe lane changes, tail gating, watching intersections etc. etc. I could go on but RR is pretty self righteous usually so it would be pointless I'm sure.

:lol::lol:so let me guess if a speeder ran into you or your family Devlin you would have a different opinion wouldnt you.feel free to go on i would like to hear how seeding is good for you and everyone :confused:this should be interesting :)

Ken07AOVette
10-28-2009, 06:49 PM
I agree with River Runner.

I absolutely hate driving the QE some days, you get morons that have no idea about courteous driving. Nail them all.

Devlin
10-28-2009, 06:51 PM
:lol::lol:so let me guess if a speeder ran into you or your family Devlin you would have a different opinion wouldnt you.feel free to go on i would like to hear how seeding is good for you and everyone :confused:this should be interesting :)

I'm not saying that speeding is good for anything what I'm saying is if enforcing the speed limit was about safety then why don't they do something about what's really dangerous? It's bad driving that's dangerous.

The majority of accidents happen at intersections and not because of speed (although that makes the collision worse) but because of bad left hand turns and running yellow or red lights.

On the highway it's mostly due to following too close.

Back in the '80s I remember there being check stops all the time, but you hardly see them any more.

So here's the thing, if it's about safety why don't they put away their laser away and go pull over people that are doing things that are causing the accidents?

Because it's easier to nab one speeder after another with a speed trap than it is to catch people for making dangerous left hand turns at intersections that's why.

Devlin
10-28-2009, 06:55 PM
When I was in Europe I witnessed better drivers driving faster and the roads seemed to be more under control and safe.

Instead of handing a ticket to someone for going over the limit. Get the bad drivers off the road and enforce laws that matter.

I should also clarify that I'm not talking about being grossly over the speed limit, I'm talking about driving at a reasonable speed.

Near my home Stoney trail is 80 km/h on what is essentially a divided freeway. It's ridiculously slow and there's absolutely no danger in doing 100 km/h there in good conditions but if you do you might get nicked for a couple hundred bucks. It's BS.

BTW, I was hit and hurt badly on my motorcycle. He was speeding AND impaired and it hasn't affected my opinion of either offence.

MikeSpike
10-28-2009, 06:57 PM

MikeSpike
10-28-2009, 07:03 PM
To add to Treeguys thinking

First this
http://www.zmotive.com/shared/rig-smoking-tires.jpg

Then Whooooo Weee, Geatcha boys
http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/nypd_car.jpg

:evilgrin:that should stir the hornets nest a wee bit

sheephunter
10-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Yikes! My post wasn't to condone speeding or to rat out a cop or to be anti enforcement, it was just to bring to the attention of those visiting BPS that it's a 50kph zone when you exit the QE2 and it's easy to miss the sign so just watch your speed so you don't end up with a ticket.

From what I could see they were giving out a lot more tickets to people accidentally going 60kph than to those purposefully going 160....

Devlin
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Yikes! My post wasn't to condone speeding or to rat out a cop or to be anti enforcement, it was just to bring to the attention of those visiting BPS that it's a 50kph zone when you exit the QE2 and it's easy to miss the sign so just watch your speed so you don't end up with a ticket.

From what I could see they were giving out a lot more tickets to people accidentally going 60kph than to those purposefully going 160....

Exactly, to serve and collect! It's easier to sit there and nab them one after another in a 50 zone than to get out on the highway where people could get killed and pull over people travelling at dangerous speeds one at a time.

Last I heard the QE2 can be pretty dangerous but I haven't heard of any fiery wrecks at the entrance to BPS yet.

captain
10-28-2009, 07:32 PM
:rolleyes:does anyone remember the good ole days when there was such a thing as a warning:rolleyes:

Tuc
10-28-2009, 08:06 PM

Hey Riv, Ken, you's be carefull when you go to BP, a ticket for 10 klicks over the limit...that could be money well spent at BP.
Most real cops will give you that much grace.

If they were set up on the QE catching speeders, fine. I think they are taking advantage of a popular mall and nailing guys for barely trickling over the limit.
Anyrate, most of those municipal cops are wantabee's and they got nothing better to do.

Thanx for the heads up Sheep!

RandyBoBandy
10-28-2009, 08:29 PM
This thread makes me ask a question I always ask myself: If the law really wants to crack down on drunk driving, why isn't there check stops or po-po's at EVERY night club from 11pm until 3am? :mad:

bigd
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Exactly, to serve and collect! It's easier to sit there and nab them one after another in a 50 zone than to get out on the highway where people could get killed and pull over people travelling at dangerous speeds one at a time.

Last I heard the QE2 can be pretty dangerous but I haven't heard of any fiery wrecks at the entrance to BPS yet.

sorry dude, but the county mounties aren't authorized to enforce on the QEII. So even if they weren't lazy (as you imply), they can't hit the deuce anyways.

As for your comments on not enforcing intersections, lane changes etc- have you called the MD there and obtained any statistics on charges laid? How would you even know how many tickets and charges have been laid for what offences?

I suspect the enforcement is related to the opening of the new mall. There are new roads built, there are thousands of shoppers driving in and out of the area and it's highly likely that there have been/ are issues with traffic flow throughout the mall area. I'm sure the MD enforcement officers have been instructed by a supervisor to focus enforcement in the area for a period of time. Trust me on this one, they probably hate running beam there all day. I'm quite sure that they would rather be out on the secondary highways any day.

Oh yeah, one more thing... police don't make or set speed limits. If you have a problem with the speed limit on such and such a location, speak to your local city councillor.

BrownBear416
10-28-2009, 08:43 PM
sorry i am saveing them care to share your's.:innocent:

My Doctor says I am not allow to share :tongue2:

bigd
10-28-2009, 08:53 PM
This thread makes me ask a question I always ask myself: If the law really wants to crack down on drunk driving, why isn't there check stops or po-po's at EVERY night club from 11pm until 3am? :mad:

How many officers do you think it takes to safely conduct a check stop beside the local watering hole, or better yet- at 'EVERY' one? :rolleye2:

What do you think officers are doing from 2300 to 0300 hrs? How about going to break up domestics, drunk in public complaints, collisions, speeding complaints, impaired driving complaints, fights, sexual assaults, suicides, stolen vehicle complaints, noisy parties, fraud complaints, thefts from vehicle complaints, B&E's etc etc. Getting the point? Are you starting to figure out maybe why the 'po-po's' aren't able to have a checkstop at EVERY night club as you desire. Perhaps you would like to increase your property tax payment a few hundred dollars per year to help fund the hiring of more officers to be on night club watch. :lol:

Have you ever approached your local enforcement agency and enquired about the auxilliary program? ;)

Devlin
10-28-2009, 10:12 PM
"How many officers do you think it takes to safely conduct a check stop beside the local watering hole, or better yet- at 'EVERY' one?"

How about setting up ONE once in a while? I very rarely see checkstops setup any more but you see the speed trap fishin holes daily.

huntinstuff
10-28-2009, 10:45 PM
If it weren't for drugs and alcohol, we wouldn't need 60% of the policemen we have.

FishBrain
10-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Holy, everyone hammers on the guy who is giving out a radar warning. Even the radios do it.
I thank you for that info, its not like he was telling about the cops sitting at the playground zone...I mean, if he was then fine bitc# at him then, but on a side road with no houses, or anything. Comon!

rugatika
10-29-2009, 02:05 PM
I would wager that most accidents are caused by BAD DRIVING..not the guy that drives 80 in a 60. How many accidents have you seen caused by someone that doesn't know how to merge or how to drive on snow/ice or not paying attention or the infamous rolling roadblock where 3 morons all drive the same speed, each in their own lane while 1500 vehicles are piled up behind them. These are the type of things that should be policed out of existence. Congested traffic increases the accidents...keep the traffic free flowing and you will have fewer accidents.

I am always amazed by the number of accidents that occur on bridges on the whitemud or henday when it rains or in the winter....people assume they have to slam on the brakes thus causing a traffic pile-up and increasing the possibility of a rear-ender.

Again...not talking about residential areas where the possibility of a kid running out in front of you would obviously dictate reduced speeds.

just guessing/...but would be interesting to see some actual numbers on this. How often does excessive speed get attributed to an accident when really it was not paying attention to road conditions, traffic, etc.

Newspeak
10-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Holy, everyone hammers on the guy who is giving out a radar warning. Even the radios do it.
I thank you for that info, its not like he was telling about the cops sitting at the playground zone...I mean, if he was then fine bitc# at him then, but on a side road with no houses, or anything. Comon!

Who cares about anyone telling others where the cops are anywhere?

I thought the idea was to stop speeders in that area, and by people knowing cops are there, they wont speed.

Seems to me the cops still get what they want, unless of course it has nothing to do with road safety, and they only care that people are speeding to generate money....

Albertadiver
10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Seems you have a reading comprehension problem Albertadiver. That would be promoting public safety wouldn't it?

No comprehension problem there sir. Your posts are usually simple enough to understand properly.

Has very little to do with public safety, and more to do with being a 'cash cow' as quoted by SH below.

If they were set up on the QE catching speeders, fine. I think they are taking advantage of a popular mall and nailing guys for barely trickling over the limit.
Anyrate, most of those municipal cops are wantabee's and they got nothing better to do.

I drove to and from Red Deer today, and the sheriff's were out in full force. No problem with them pulling over the crazy speeders. If you take the risk, then you face the consequences. All along the QEII they were leaving alone the guys like myself with the cruise set about 115km, and pulled over the guy that weaved in and out, cutting off a tractor trailer doing 130km. I'd say that's proper and effective enforcement.

The guys camped out in front of Crossiron Mills are doing squat for effective enforcement and are just going after that almighty $$. (They were there again this aftternoon)

Vindalbakken
10-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Sorry Albertadiver, but as simple as I can make it you didn't comprehend it. Announcing the locations of police radar so that people will slow down IS about public safety. Speed limits ARE about public safety.

IMO it would be advisable for them to sit there every day until folks start to get the message. If no one was speeding it would be a rather poor $ production effort for them wouldn't it. And then public safety through adherance to posted speed limits will have been achieved.

If you have a problem with the speed limit and whether it is justified in the interest of public safety then take that up through the proper channels - don't use it as an excuse to question the moral integrity of our police officers.

As to the stupidity of SH's hasty reply - the relative #'s of tickets to folks doing 60 and those doing 160 just may have something to do with the relative occurance of each.

Pertaining to the quote you put from Tuc - he is simply being a donkey. He knows no facts but wants an opportunity to jeer those hired to work for us as LEO's.

fishnamed
10-29-2009, 06:49 PM
The Sheriffs are mere tax collectors, without that revenue they as a force would not exist, nailing the QEII or the T-Can in my opinion is not a waste of time, but sitting in front of a mall for a simple 10 km over is a serious waste of time, and it is not the type of driver they should be targeting.
You RARELY ever see radar in a playground zone, however give them a decent hiding spot where the speed limit reduces and they will sit there all day.
To justify their need of existence they will do their little BLITZ on long weekends and holidays and boast about the amount of tickets written, but what the other days of the year?
What about the seriuos infractions, impaired, school zones, texting, no insurance etc...
Please dont try and justify this action, every person with an ounce of common sense knows this for revenue, not enforcement of prevention.

Vindalbakken
10-29-2009, 08:19 PM
:) Seems the church has lots of parisioners.

sheephunter
10-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry Albertadiver, but as simple as I can make it you didn't comprehend it. Announcing the locations of police radar so that people will slow down IS about public safety. Speed limits ARE about public safety.

IMO it would be advisable for them to sit there every day until folks start to get the message. If no one was speeding it would be a rather poor $ production effort for them wouldn't it. And then public safety through adherance to posted speed limits will have been achieved.

If you have a problem with the speed limit and whether it is justified in the interest of public safety then take that up through the proper channels - don't use it as an excuse to question the moral integrity of our police officers.

As to the stupidity of SH's hasty reply - the relative #'s of tickets to folks doing 60 and those doing 160 just may have something to do with the relative occurance of each.

Pertaining to the quote you put from Tuc - he is simply being a donkey. He knows no facts but wants an opportunity to jeer those hired to work for us as LEO's.

Name calling? Really...come on you can do better......

Vindalbakken
10-29-2009, 08:40 PM
My bad, I shouldn't have called tuc a name for disrespecting our law enforcement officers.

sheephunter
10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
My bad, I shouldn't have called tuc a name for disrespecting our law enforcement officers.

I was referring more to calling my reply stupid but now that you mention it, your comments to Tuc were inappropriate too.:) I'm sure he appreciates your apology.;)

Kanonfodder
10-29-2009, 08:50 PM
LoL poor Sheep takn alot of heat on this one. I have tons of friends that are LEOs ...yes they admit its a cash grab...yes they have quotas...and yes there is little proof that speed traps are a detterent......

Albertadiver
10-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I was referring more to calling my reply stupid but now that you mention it, your comments to Tuc were inappropriate too.:) I'm sure he appreciates your apology.;)

I think he was just 'dumbing it down' so that simple folks like myself would understand that these sheriff's are performing a noble task by targeting poor hunters headed to BassPro, and hot soccer mom's who are headed to the mall too fast! :lol:

I think that Sherriff's are a good thing. They do perform a needed role in law enforcement by enforcing the rules of the road, which is very important. They also assist in helping to free up RCMP members to deal with other crimes, so it's a win-win I think.

Maybe my wording earlier was a little too flowery for some to comprehend, but in no way was I disparaging LEO's. I am saying though, that it is a 'cheap shot' by camping out in that same spot rather than helping with the other dozens of crazy drivers imitating NASCAR down the QEII, which IMO is far more dangerous than going 60 in a 50.

gitrdun
10-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Maybe the cops just think that if you have enough disposable cash to spend it on such useless crap as bullets, guns, rods, lures and a 4WD truck, you can spare a bit more for them? :lol:

Matt L.
10-29-2009, 09:00 PM
True, but they gotta be able to put gas in their cars somehow. The governments ain't helpin' much right now as far as I know. And besides, it's only a cash cow as long as you keep gettin' tickets!:D

huntinstuff
10-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Speeding generates revenue. And lots of it.... But you can't have cops doing radar all day so you install "speed at green" cameras alongside the "red light" cameras.....as well, throw in a few photo radar sites.

These are tickets you get WEEKS after the incident. There is no education with enforcement of this type, just a bill in the mail. They are not designed to deter or stop infractions, only profit from it.

If there were no fine attached to the offence, and all you lost were demerit points, you would not see any radar sites.

Getting pulled over and having a chat with a cop at a traffic stop can be enough to slow some folks down, regardless if they get a ticket or not. That personal contact is something you remember.

Personally, my take on "Sheephunter"s post was akin to saying to someone "drive safely"...........

Albertadiver
10-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Speeding generates revenue. And lots of it.... But you can't have cops doing radar all day so you install "speed at green" cameras alongside the "red light" cameras.....as well, throw in a few photo radar sites.

These are tickets you get WEEKS after the incident. There is no education with enforcement of this type, just a bill in the mail. They are not designed to deter or stop infractions, only profit from it.

If there were no fine attached to the offence, and all you lost were demerit points, you would not see any radar sites.

Getting pulled over and having a chat with a cop at a traffic stop can be enough to slow some folks down, regardless if they get a ticket or not. That personal contact is something you remember.

Personally, my take on "Sheephunter"s post was akin to saying to someone "drive safely"...........

Thank you for that very reasonable response, well said.

I'll give a personal example. The last ticket I had was about 7yrs ago. I had just pulled off of the QEII onto the east/west highway just south of Gasoline Alley in Red Deer. I was in an 80km/h zone which went down to 60 km/hr (Similar to the situation at CrossIron), anyhow I was on my way to visit my folks and a bylaw officer clocked me at 86 in the 60. I was totally zoned out and honestly missed the 60km sign. So fair and square I broke the law.

To make matters worse it was the first day of the month and my registration had expired the day before so my plates were expired by one day. Yup, Murphy's law. To further sweeten the deal, my current insurance form was on my desk at home because I had just renewed it and forgot to put it in the truck. So three fat strikes against me.

So here I am caught red-handed speeding, expired tags, and no current proof of insurance. Yep, couldn't get better.

He threw on his lights coming towards me, and I knew I was in trouble, so I just pulled over and waited for him to turn around and come back to me. I responded to everything with yes sir, sorry sir, and was sincerely respectful.

He asked about the speeding, and I said I just didn't notice, but I was responsible to read the sign so he caught me fair and square. Then he asked about the insurance, which I said was just renewed as I had changed addresses. Then he asked about the expired tag, and I said that I had meant to update my registration but had held off to the end of the month because I knew I was moving and needed to change my license and registration address (didn't want to pay twice), but I didn't get it switched in time.

I'm potentially sitting there looking at a bunch of fines. He said that he appreciated me being respectful and felt I was honest with my 'excuses' or lack thereof. He gave me a $200+ ticket for the expired tags / license, but didn't give me a ticket for insurance or speeding. He said that this would be enough of a lesson and that he didn't want to see me get points on my DL for speeding. I thanked him for his leniancy, and he thanked me for behaving myself while stopped.

I learned a lesson that hurt my wallet, and I respected the officer, and I promptly went to the license shop that same afternoon and paid the fine, updated my registration / License, and made sure to put my insurance card back in the glovebox when I got home.

Neeless to say, I'm pretty cautious now when it comes to my license, insurance, and registration. He could have simply enforced the law, and I would have had a very negative opinion of him even though it was his right. But he didn't do that, I still had consequences to face, and I gained respect for that officer. So in his case, I think his warning to me had the appropriate effect.

bigd
10-29-2009, 09:22 PM
LoL poor Sheep takn alot of heat on this one. I have tons of friends that are LEOs ...yes they admit its a cash grab...yes they have quotas...and yes there is little proof that speed traps are a detterent......

gonna have to call BS on this one...7 years on the job for me including 4+ on highway patrol. I know and have worked with literally hundreds of police officers from 4 different agencies. Quotas- BS. Cash grab- BS. Police officers don't benefit from ticket writing. All we get are more wasted days in court arguing about seatbelts, radar calibration, driving patterns etc. Every hour wasted here creates one less hour of completed paperwork. The only exception might be a municipal force or County peace officer types as their budgets do rely on ticket revenues somewhat.

As for the RCMP or other larger force (OPP etc), we have an annual budget that doesn't change whether we write more tickets or not. Ticket revenues go straight to the community or county where the tickets are written. Policing budgets are not largely affected by these revenues.

As for speed enforcement effectiveness, where did you find your facts to base your statement on? Where did you look and read this info? Did you get this from your 'tons' of LEO friends? :lol: If having SH tell us of the speed trap at the mall slows all of us down, then I guess the enforcement is working- isn't it? After all, the goal is to slow people down. Mission accomplished. :wave:

Vindalbakken
10-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Name calling?
I expect to explain the difference between references to actions/comments and people when dealing with 12 year olds, but on this forum?

Perhaps you would like that I use "ill thought out reply" instead.

Vindalbakken
10-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Kind of like this take from post #11:

I could easily buy that answer, and even commend you for it

Kanonfodder
10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
LOL well I have it on great authority that yes most cops believe its a cash grab and yes they have quotas.......are you a RCMP or EPS or a Sheriff I have been told by members of both EPS and RCMP have had quotas on ticket writing.....

bigd
10-29-2009, 09:47 PM
first off, I'll repeat what I said in an earlier post- the county or MD peace officers are not authorized to enforce on the QEII. They may only patrol and enforce on county or secondary roads and highways (with exceptions in specific situations). So the theory that they should be on the deuce doing 'real' enforcement doesn't fly.

Second- did any AO members get ticketed at CrossIron Mall? Unless I missed a key post, I don't remember anyone here getting stopped or tagged for speed there. So, how did we come up with this '60 in a 50' situation? How do we know that it's not people doing 15 oveorro 20 over that are getting stopped? How do we know that they aren't nailing drivers without seatbelts as well? Or tinted windows, or expired tags, or kids without carseats, or even improper lane changes? Just because they might have a laser or radar unit there doesn't mean it's a one dimensional enforcement op.

Albertadiver- your story almost brings a tear to my eye...the gent that stopped you is very similar in enforcement style to my own. Most drivers that I deal with have more than one issue during the stop. All the same ones as you plus usually a seatbelt, tinted windows, no flaps, badly cracked shield, burnt out lights, obscured plates and on and on and on.

I agree that an enforcement encounter doesn't always have to be negative. Besides, it's a lot easier to sell a person a ticket roadside by giving breaks than it is heading off to traffic court every other day. There are exceptions of course- depending on attitude, seriousness of the offences, recent driving or criminal history etc. Revenue is the furthest thing from my mind because it is not made a priority by those up my food chain.

sheephunter
10-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Exactly!

BrownBear416
10-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Ahhh reading this thread makes me miss the States...

140 on the highway,80 through towns.60 in school zones and probably a 100 for BPS off ramps ...:wave:

Jamie
10-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I now know how much a speeding ticket is is Montana.

Apparantly doing 79 MPH in a 60 MPH zone will cost you $40. Nicy lady, I gave her the cash all the while expecting to be hauled away in cuffs. She gave me a receipt, directions to a hotel and a friendly smile. Nice cop

Turns out there is speed limits in Montana and they are not all 75MPH:lol:

I considered it a donation to the Great falls improvment fund.

What a difference driving in Canada. Here I was bombing all over Montana at these ungodly speeds.. Then I slowed to a turtles pace once we hit the border. I think highways in Alta should all be 75MPH

Jamie

Redfrog
10-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Well I feel safer knowing there are cameras and radar traps near the mall in the big silly. I also think property taxes in Calgary should be hiked steeply to get the police to the bars at closing time.:D

BTW thanks for the heads up Sheep. Does anyone ever flash their lights anymore to let oncoming know of the radar ahead?

Justflyfish4eva
10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
I think those bylaw officers and sheriffs, are a waist of taxpayer money, first of all how can they build a place with out the proper roads, and then have the cops sit there and direct traffic all the time, what a joke. that rd used to be 100 and then it dropped down to 80 over the bridge. it is such a pain these days to go 50 all that way. there is enough rd there that it should be a little faster. at least that is what I think.
Like was said before, keep the cops on the deerfoot, to catch all those stupid drives that go from lane to lane weaving in and out of traffic.
And get those that can not drive off the rds.

oh ya and I flash my lights at oncoming traffic all the time, some flash back, some give the thumbs up, and in the rearview mirror you see brake lights.

WayneChristie
10-30-2009, 12:46 AM
I now know how much a speeding ticket is is Montana.

Apparantly doing 79 MPH in a 60 MPH zone will cost you $40. Nicy lady, I gave her the cash all the while expecting to be hauled away in cuffs. She gave me a receipt, directions to a hotel and a friendly smile. Nice cop

Turns out there is speed limits in Montana and they are not all 75MPH:lol:

I considered it a donation to the Great falls improvment fund.

What a difference driving in Canada. Here I was bombing all over Montana at these ungodly speeds.. Then I slowed to a turtles pace once we hit the border. I think highways in Alta should all be 75MPH

Jamie

Last time I drove thru Montana was when the highways signs said Daytime speed-Reasonable and Prudent.
That was awesome, I blew by a cop going the other way at 100 MPH, they didnt even turn their head.

MikeSpike
10-30-2009, 11:41 AM

There has been an explosion of peace officers and photo radar vehicles and expansion of red light camera, in the last few months. Most stupid municipalities, rather than live within their means and manage properly, have take the easy route out and tried to find more revenue, throught user fees, new laws, licencing rules, and traffic fines.

Ok, I have got the message, can ever think of speeding now as I seem to run into or accross one or two peace officers or photo vehicles every time I am out. Does seem a bit like a police state though. Are you safer now that I am not speeding anymore - probably if your a ****** driver - will give me more time to brake for you when you pull out without checking and give me more time to hit the brakes to let you into my lane where I was because you don't know how to shoulder check.

So that should make things better - the horrible drivers will have less accidents which will not cause their insurance rates to force them off the road or other determiners forcing them off - they can continue on their merry way a lot longer, maybe even start to beleive that they can actually drive.

Now once everyone gets the message that speeding is just not worth it and that they will in all probability get caught due to the increased enforcement, what will happen to municipal revenues?? Well they have all these costly peace officers and vehicles on staff. Hmmm. Two options -layoffs and vehicle auctions OR come up with alternative methods to collect fines/revenue.

How about firepit licences and then the enforcement, how about having to safety certifiy your firepit each year, yeah that will bring some money in. How about smog controls, yeah that will force them to pay to get their vehicles certified each year and give the staff something to do.

What do you think they will in all probability do. Wait for the next five years to see how many stupid regulations/licences/user fees/ fines the municipalities come up with- and how you feel about your freedoms.

So you have given up freedom for the sense of security/safety,---As Benjamin Franklin said, you deserve neither in that case.

Okotokian
10-30-2009, 01:03 PM

What's the big deal? Cops operated like that all the time when I was in Mexico City on business. They always collected the "fines" in cash right on the spot. We just weren't gullible enough to say "Oh, what nice helpful policemen". :lol:

CNP
10-30-2009, 01:05 PM
You can please some of the people 50% of the time but none of the people all the time:D

Every good intention will be "inquisitioned" on the AO.

Devlin
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
LOL well I have it on great authority that yes most cops believe its a cash grab and yes they have quotas.......are you a RCMP or EPS or a Sheriff I have been told by members of both EPS and RCMP have had quotas on ticket writing.....

I have it on similar authority from both CPS and an RCMP officer. I won't get into details but CPS and RCMP both told me the same thing. It makes me think the LEO here is either a traffic cop or a sheriff because real cops detest the whole traffic enforcement thing.

doetracks
10-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Apparantly doing 79 MPH in a 60 MPH zone will cost you $40.... Turns out there is speed limits in Montana and they are not all 75MPH:lol:

...donation to the Great falls improvment fund. Jamie

That corrider on the interstate from just north of Great Falls, south to the Ulm turnoff is a HOTSPOT... kind of like hwy 3 through Fort Macleod. Good heads up for anyone heading south!

Tuc
10-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Whoa, I don't disrespect peace officers. I don't like the sneeky way some of them collect taxes. As is the case at Cross Iron Mills.