PDA

View Full Version : Simple/bachelor kinda meals

Geezle
03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
So as many of you know, I'm currently living out of a motel room for work. That being the case, I don't have a ton of food options and have to keep things fairly simple.

For appliances I have this neat little unit that has a sink, fridge (a little bigger than an average bar fridge) and 2 stovetop burners all built together. There's also a microwave in the room, and I have my toaster oven that usually lives in my work trailer.

Pasta, potatoes, and eggs have been staples of my diet, and I try to get some salad in there (greens are important :)) as well as some other things, but it's getting pretty repetitive, so I'm looking for some new ideas for simple meals I can make for myself without too many ingredients required :)

eric2381
03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Slow cooker roast beef. Put it in in the morning before you go to work, then eat like a king in the evening. Mashed potatoes complete things, or instant potatoes are easier and faster.

I just finished eating egg sandwiches I cooked in the microwave in the hotel room I've been in since Nov. 1.

TreeGuy
03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Get one of those George Forman grills, toss some pre-made frozen burgers in the freezer and you are golden my friend.:D

Geezle
03-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Slow cooker roast beef. Put it in in the morning before you go to work, then eat like a king in the evening. Mashed potatoes complete things, or instant potatoes are easier and faster.

I just finished eating egg sandwiches I cooked in the microwave in the hotel room I've been in since Nov. 1.

Slow cooker crossed my mind, but I keep forgetting about it. Next time I'm home for a visit I may have to hijack my wife's smaller one :)

Thanks for reminding me about it :cool:

edit: How are you cooking your eggs in the microwave? I've only ever poached them in the microwave before.

WayneChristie
03-05-2010, 06:31 PM
X2 on the slow cooker, grab a cheapo for 20 bucks, you can have all sorts of easy meals waiting when you get off work. Make enough for a couple meals and have leftovers the next day

Geezle
03-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Get one of those George Forman grills, toss some pre-made frozen burgers in the freezer and you are golden my friend.:D

Too much of an investment, and I'd probably never use the grill after i'm out of here.

Burgers are a good idea though...I can still fry 'em up :) Chop up some taters and put them in the toaster oven and I'm set :D

eric2381
03-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Crack 2 eggs into a bowl, add a bit of salt and pepper and some tobasco sauce for spice. REMEMBER to break the yoke, or you'll have an explosion. cook for a minute. Fold the works in half, and put on a bun with some cheese, and eat it while two more eggs are cooking inthe microwave. Repeat until you're full.:)

doetracks
03-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Anything with hamburger - add noodles, mushrooms, mushroom soup.

Or, there's always "Hamburger Helper" :)

WayneChristie
03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
scrambled microwave eggs. crack into a bowl, add a little bit of milk, a scoop of margerine, mix it up, cover with plastic wrap, cook a minute an egg. add salt and pepper when they are done. milk makes them nice and fluffy.

hunter10
03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Well theres always KD

guywiththemule
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
steak,roast(pork or beef or wild),pork or deer chops,chicken(tame or wild), add potatoes and onions,garlic salt and seasoning salt.Slow cook 8 to 10 hrs... Can`t beat it !

Geezle
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Crack 2 eggs into a bowl, add a bit of salt and pepper and some tobasco sauce for spice. REMEMBER to break the yoke, or you'll have an explosion. cook for a minute. Fold the works in half, and put on a bun with some cheese, and eat it while two more eggs are cooking inthe microwave. Repeat until you're full.:)

Cool, though I'm not a tabasco on my eggs kinda guy :)

And I know all about the yolk thing...I've had poached eggs explode on me once or twice when the yolk wasn't broken enough...at least it's a contained blast! :lol:

Geezle
03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Well theres always KD

True, and I get a craving for the stuff from time to time, but it's definitely not something i care to eat on a regular basis anymore :o

Geezle
03-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Anything with hamburger - add noodles, mushrooms, mushroom soup.

Or, there's always "Hamburger Helper" :)

Good call with the hamburger concoctions :)

Think I'll skip the hamburger helper though...ate waaaaaay too much of the stuff back in the day when it was just my dad and I :o

600twin
03-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Well theres always KD

I'd rather eat the box it comes in

600twin
03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Ketchup chicken
Fry up a little onion and a cup of ketchup and a cup of coke add 2 boneless skinless chicken breast and simmer until chicken is done serve over white rice.

Geezle
03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Ketchup chicken
Fry up a little onion and a cup of ketchup and a cup of coke add 2 boneless skinless chicken breast and simmer until chicken is done serve over white rice.

Sounds strange...yet interesting :)

jacob1202
03-05-2010, 07:12 PM
fry up chicken and shrimp and whatever veggies u like in one pan... add some mushroom soup.... boil pasta in the other... delicious!!!

goober
Too much of an investment, and I'd probably never use the grill after i'm out of here.

Burgers are a good idea though...I can still fry 'em up :) Chop up some taters and put them in the toaster oven and I'm set :D

You can get the imitation Foremans at CDN Tire and Walmart for between 39 and 65 bucks. It opens up so many doors for cooking meat and is fast and cheap!!! Healthy to boot!! As Tree said with one of these you are GOLDEN!!!!:wave::wave:

600twin
I know it sounds weird but it is surprisingly tasty

DarkAisling
03-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Oh, Jay. Do not judge the George Foreman grill too hastily! It is, as far as I'm concerned, the best kitchen appliance ever invented. My ex-husband had one, and it was used almost every night to cook dinner.

Since you're a bit of a geek (I mean that in the best possible way), check this one out:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/igrill.shtml. I want one. Too bad the don't have a "family sized" version.

nimrod
03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Next time your home have the loved one cook a big turkey, great home meal, then pack up a few meals to be frozen, great on the road home cooked meal, all you need is a oven or microwave, my 2 cents.

Geezle
03-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh, Jay. Do not judge the George Foreman grill too hastily! It is, as far as I'm concerned, the best kitchen appliance ever invented. My ex-husband had one, and it was used almost every night to cook dinner.

Since you're a bit of a geek (I mean that in the best possible way), check this one out:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/igrill.shtml. I want one. Too bad the don't have a "family sized" version.

Actually I'm not judging the grill at all. The thing is, back when my wife still lived in the states, she had one, and when she moved up here, it was one of the things she left behind because it didn't get used very much. She'd think I'm a tard for buying another one.

Plus, there's only 5 houses left out here after the one I'm on, so hopefully I shouldn't be up here for much more than a month longer...*if* things work out :o

And in my previous life I was a computer programmer, so I'm not offended by being called a geek :D that iGrill looks like a pretty cool item :)

Geezle
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Next time your home have the loved one cook a big turkey, great home meal, then pack up a few meals to be frozen, great on the road home cooked meal, all you need is a oven or microwave, my 2 cents.

Last time I came back from a weekend at home I brought some home made pasta sauce, beef stew, and I think some chicken soup? all frozen :)

DarkAisling
03-05-2010, 07:53 PM
She'd think I'm a tard for buying another one.

You are a smart man, and will probably stay married for a very long time :) It is very bad if your wife thinks you're a "tard."

And in my previous life I was a computer programmer . . .

I knew that, though you hide your geekiness well.

Geezle
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I knew that, though you hide your geekiness well.

I know you knew (really!) :)

And it hides well because it's been many moons...;)

ghostguy6
03-05-2010, 07:57 PM
I like to call this "What the Hell Chili"
2 chicken cubed breats
1 large diced yellow onion
1 jar of spicy pasta sauce
1 can of BBQ baked beens
chedder cheese.... lots of chedder cheese:lol:
1 bag of Uncle Bens Bistro Express rice
Spices and Franks Red Hot to taste
splash of oil

Cook the chicken breast in frying pan with oil. When chicken is almost done add onion and sweat until light brown. Place bag of rice in microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remember to tear bag open before microwaving or it will go BOOM! Add jar of pasta sauce and beans to pan and allow to simmer. Add rice to the pan and allow to simmer. Add spices and hot sause to taste. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Add chedder and serve.

It doesnt sound like much but it tastes great. Seems to taste better after the leftovers have been reheated. Makes approx 3- 4 servings.

Damn you now I want chili!:D

thumper
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
x 10 on the George Foreman grill - also good for salmon burgers or salmon steaks, pannini-style ham & cheese sandwiches, sausages, teriyaki pork chops, -even steaks.

Or, if you insist on sticking with the microwave - stock up at the next M&Ms you see! Their single serving microwavable stuff is suprisingly good. I like their meat pies.

Geezle
03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
x 10 on the George Foreman grill - also good for salmon burgers or salmon steaks, pannini-style ham & cheese sandwiches, sausages, teriyaki pork chops, -even steaks.

Or, if you insist on sticking with the microwave - stock up at the next M&Ms you see! Their single serving microwavable stuff is suprisingly good. I like their meat pies.

Actually the microwave has been the least used appliance I have access to. I've only used it to heat up some canned green beans :) I've been all about the stovetop, and particularly the frying pan :)

Your pannini style ham and cheese idea got me thinking though, I've wanted to get myself one of those little sandwich grillers for a long time, I used to have one, but it apparently grew legs and walked away :rolleyes: This might be a good excuse to get one :)

firegod74
03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Back when I was in the patch there were some great tailgate BBQs made out of culverts or pipeline pipe. Some were even double deckers for baking potatoes. Then all you need is a tiger torch and your whole crew is happy.

The way we did it was that when someone screwed up, they had to buy steaks. Better than sitting in a motel room all the time.

mooseknuckle
03-05-2010, 08:33 PM
doritos and beer.

Geezle
03-05-2010, 08:35 PM
doritos and beer.

Hmmm...don't have any Doritos...how about corn nuts? They're nacho cheese flavor :D

ghostguy6
03-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Hmmm...don't have any Doritos...how about corn nuts? They're nacho cheese flavor :D

But youve got beer? then your set:lol:

CaberTosser
03-05-2010, 08:56 PM
One of my favorite bachelor chow recipes: Tuna casserole.

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can tuna
1 bag casserole noodles (NOT egg noodles though, they get mushy)
1/4 -1/3 stick cheddar cheese (I like medium)
1/2 soup can of milk

Boil the noodles until al dente (slightly firm), and set aside in a colander to drain. Open the tuna and soup cans and mix them together with the 1/2 can of milk in the now empty pot that you cooked the noodles in (don't drain the tuna, the juice adds flavor); pepper the mixture heavily and then mix the noodles in until even. Scoop the mixture into a casserole dish with a lid and bake for 40 minutes at 350 F. Remove from the oven and grate some cheddar over the top and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.

Serve & enjoy! More pepper always seems to set it just right.

Sometimes I'll mix in a variety of noodles such as rotini or various ones from the cupboard but if they have different cooking times I'll put in the thicker ones in a few minutes before the thinner casserole noodles.

When reheating the leftovers from the fridge I just nuke 'em, but usually splash on a bit more milk. Pepper again to taste.

Geezle
03-05-2010, 08:58 PM
But youve got beer? then your set:lol:

Of course I have beer...what else is there for me to do out here? :lol: It's also good for the mental health with the crap I have to deal with working up here :rolleyes:

Geezle
03-05-2010, 09:00 PM

1 can tuna
1/2 soup can of milk

Boil the noodles until al dente (slightly firm), and set aside in a colander to drain. Open the tuna and soup cans and mix them together with the 1/2 can of milk in the now empty pot that you cooked the noodles in (don't drain the tuna, the juice adds flavor); pepper the mixture heavily and then mix the noodles in until even. Scoop the mixture into a casserole dish with a lid and bake for 40 minutes at 350 F. Remove from the oven and grate some cheddar over the top and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.

Sometimes I'll mix in a variety of noodles such as rotini or various ones from the cupboard but if they have different cooking times I'll put in the thicker ones in a few minutes before the thinner casserole noodles.

When reheating the leftovers from the fridge I just nuke 'em, but usually splash on a bit more milk. Pepper again to taste.

This sounds pretty good :)

I'll have to see if I can find myself a little casserole dish that'll fit in my toaster oven. :)

Jimboy
03-05-2010, 09:21 PM
X2 on the slow cooker, grab a cheapo for 20 bucks, you can have all sorts of easy meals waiting when you get off work. Make enough for a couple meals and have leftovers the next day

And if the bludy thing short circuits , then when you get home you eat ashes:sick:

Geezle
03-05-2010, 09:26 PM
And if the bludy thing short circuits , then when you get home you eat ashes:sick:

That's okay...it's not my place, and it's built out of cinder blocks! :lol:

eric2381
03-05-2010, 09:33 PM

1 can tuna
1/2 soup can of milk

You can take BBQ chips, crunch them up into crumbs, and layer them on top of the casserole. It makes for tasty tuna casserole.

I am intrigued by the ketchup, cola, chicken. I'll have to try this when I'm home, and feed it to my wife and kids. See how it goes.....

IR_mike
03-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Last summer on the road I bought a 25000 BTU breakdown portable BBQ at peavy mart for 130.00$.

Money well spent IMHO :)

Eat great now when restraunt food get blase.

CaberTosser
03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
While I'm at it, I wanna share another fave recipe of mine; but this ones a bit more involved.

CaberTossers Thermonuclear Chicken Ceasar

Ingredients: 3 heaping tbsp Mayonnaise
1 heaping tsp Dijon mustard
a 1" long squeeze of anchovy paste (if in a tube, or about 1/8 tsp)
3 dashes China Lily soy sauce
3 dashes Worchestershire sauce
3-4 dashes Tobasco sauce
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp lemon juice
1 heaping tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp tarragon
1 tsp parsley

Mix all ingredients together and set aside as the dressing.

Take some chicken breasts and splash them with lemon juice and sprinkle them with tarragon. Broil on top rack of oven, usually 7 minutes one side and 4 minutes for the other side.

Wash romaine lettuce and pat dry. Tear lettuce to bite sized pieces and mix with the dressing and croutons( dressing quantity should serve about 2 heads of romaine, so set aside remainder if only serving one lettuce). Portion out mixed salad into bowls. Take the cooked chicken breast and cut it into strips and garnish it over the top of the salad. I like to use the chicken pieces to mop the dressing off the bowl sides when at the bottom of the bowl.

This meal usually leaves me with a distinctive & familiar rumble in my innards, but its one I've grown to love. The tobasco gives it a bit of "giddy up" and its nice and garlicky, not like the usual spineless restaurant Ceasars you'll find. Naturally this Ceasar alone is good when paired as a side with pasta.

CaberTosser
03-05-2010, 09:42 PM
#3 :D

Familiar ingredients from my earlier casserole, but different enough.

1 can tuna

Mix & heat the two ingredients in a soup pot. Pepper heavily. Serve over cooked rice.

Geezle
03-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Last summer on the road I bought a 25000 BTU breakdown portable BBQ at peavy mart for 130.00$.

Money well spent IMHO :)

Eat great now when restraunt food get blase.

I actually have a nice little table top one that I can run off of the 1lb bottles back at home, but I don't really have anywhere here I could use it, unless I set it up in the middle of the walkway in front of my room :lol:

Geezle
03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
#3 :D

Familiar ingredients from my earlier casserole, but different enough.

1 can tuna

Mix & heat the two ingredients in a soup pot. Pepper heavily. Serve over cooked rice.

Very simple...I like :)

CaberTosser
03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
#4:D

Cook up a batch of KD, but mix in a heaping tbsp of Cheeze Whiz to help it out, then garnish a bowl of it with 1/3 can of stewed tomatoes.

IR_mike
03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I actually have a nice little table top one that I can run off of the 1lb bottles back at home, but I don't really have anywhere here I could use it, unless I set it up in the middle of the walkway in front of my room :lol:

I had one of those as well.
Too small, too slow, and too cold for winter time operations.

Go to peavey mart...you wont regret it.

I cook in the walkway, eat and let cool then dissasemble.

Styling.

Geezle
03-05-2010, 09:53 PM
I had one of those as well.
Too small, too slow, and too cold for winter time operations.

Go to peavey mart...you wont regret it.

I cook in the walkway, eat and let cool then dissasemble.

Styling.

This one's actually not that bad...I used it last winter when it was -30 out, and I had to crank it up higher, but it did surprisingly well :) I need to get out of the apartment situation by this summer and get myself a big-boy BBQ :cool:

twofifty
03-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Mmmmm. You guys should pool your recipes and print an oilfield cookbook.

Group recipes under chapter headings to do with the cooking implement available to you:

1. hot plate
2. double hot plate (much more complex meals can be done on a double)
3. microwave
4. toaster oven
5. slow cooker
6. sterno
7. tiger torch BBQ.
8. for those with deluxe suites, there's the dishwasher, for poaching fish.

Matt L.
03-05-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm goin' to tag this thread for when I'm in college! Lots of great stuff here. Don't really have much I can offer, one time when I was batching it, one of my "suppers" was a cookie sheet of baked french fries.:lol: Which is why I'm tagging this thread!:lol:

mooseknuckle
03-05-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm goin' to tag this thread for when I'm in college! Lots of great stuff here. Don't really have much I can offer, one time when I was batching it, one of my "suppers" was a cookie sheet of baked french fries.:lol: Which is why I'm tagging this thread!:lol:

Again..... just add beer and it's a done deal:lol:

CaberTosser
03-05-2010, 11:11 PM
A can of Stagg chili served over rotini noodles or rice works in a pinch.

Mandarin salad

Mix equal parts frozen orange juice concentrate and mayonnaise: there's your dressing. Wash and tear up a head of romaine lettuce. Mix with the dressing and toss in a can of mandarin orange segments, then sprinkle in some sliced almonds. Dried cranberries are nice in there too.

Bingo; ya got a salad. Serve with grilled meat or chicken. Fish too I guess if thats your bag.

I find a few salad things can help, cuz a lot of bachelor-chow recipes can get a fellow kinda plugged up unless you chuck in some fibre somewhere.

deanmc
03-06-2010, 12:14 AM

1 can tuna
1/2 soup can of milk

Wife cooks almost the same thing except she crumbles crackers on top before she puts the cheese on. I love it. It is great fried with butter the next day also.

RumRugby
03-06-2010, 01:02 AM
I always liked chicken wraps, pretty quick & easy to make. Pan fry the chicken cut it in strips, sautee some onions & mushrooms, grate cheese, chop tomatos & lettus, little bit of sour cream, flip it all in a wrap and away you go. Another one my dad makes is either meat balls or hamburger pan fried, pour on some mushroom soup, put it over rice and corn or mashed potatos & corn. Almost like shepard's pie if you add some cheese :)
Left over chicken, porkchops or steak I usually slice into strips, sautee some mushrooms & onions (i really like them) and make a grilled cheese, meat, onion & mushroom sandwich. Add some bbq sauce with piggy chops and you have yourself a grilled cheese pulled pork sandwich. soooo good!

firegod74
03-06-2010, 01:53 AM
There is also a book called The Batchlors Guide to Warding off Starvation. Its full of simple stuff that tastes really good.
The book got me through college, and the cooking was even good enough to impress a few ladies.... Till one of them stole it. Good book though.

Sporty
03-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Boston Pizza Brutes at home or work

-1 Pkg of deli pizza toppings (salami pepperoni ham) can buy the packages with all 3
-1 pkg sliced provolone cheese
-Sliced onions
-Bread of choice, big kaisers, sub buns, baguettes
-1 can Hunts spaghetti sauce with meat

Open the sauce, spread some on both sides of the bun, layer your meat on top then your onions and cheese. Pop into your toaster and toast until cheese is melted. Heat up the rest of the sauce, spice it up if you want. Use it as a dipping sauce for your Brute!

Chicken with Rice

-Chicken breasts chopped up (or buy the fillets if you don't want to chop)
-1 package of Uncle Ben's rice mix, your choice, I love the broccoli and cheese for this.

Brown your chicken slightly, mix rice according to pkg directions, mix in with chicken and cook till done. Serve with a veg.

Cream Cheese Chicken/Shrimp Pasta

They have a commercial for this, it is fast and so delicious

-2 Tbsps Cream cheese ( or more to taste)
-Shrimp/Chicken (Either or both)
-Garlic
-Fresh Spinach
-Pasta of choice (I like Spaghettini )

If you're using shrimp, peel them, boil some water and throw your pasta in. In a skillet heat some butter/marg/oil and saute your garlic for a couple minutes, lower the heat and add your cream cheese and melt it, add your shrimp and cook till pink. Drain your pasta and reserve a couple tbsps of the water. Add a handful of spinach and cook till just wilted. Toss Pasta, sauce and spinach together, add water if need to thin out a little. Season with salt/pepper/red chill flakes to taste. If using chicken brown it first before adding the garlic, cream cheese etc.

Scalloped Pork Chop Potato Casserole

-Pork Chops
-Potatoes (peeled and sliced thin)
-Onion Sliced Thin
-1 Can of mushroom soup
-1 can of Mushrooms

Brown your pork chops, while they are browning layer the sliced potatoes and onions in casserole dish (or aluminum pan). Once chops are browned place on top of potatoes. Mix mushroom soup with mushrooms and seasonings (to taste) add some of the water from the canned mushrooms and mix thoroughly. Pour over top of casserole, cover with foil and bake at 375 for an hour or until potatoes are tender. Serve with veg.

Can make this in a slow cooker as well. Recipe is approx for ingredients, you can use 2 or 3 chops, 2 or 3 potatoes. Add garlic to everything it is good for you ;p

Instead of looking for a small casserole dish for your toaster oven, buy the disposable aluminum bread pans, they are perfect size for one person and no clean up ;p

Calzones

-1 pkg Pilsbury pizza dough
-Fillings of your choice, deli pizza meats, onions, peppers, chicken spinach
-Pizza or spaghetti sauce
-Shredded cheese (your choice)

Open pizza dough, place it on a piece of foil or pan. Spread sauce all over the dough. Place all your toppings on one side and cheese, fold over to create a turnover. Pinch edges, cook in toaster oven according to directions. You might have to add a few minutes to the time to ensure the it is warmed all the way through. The sky is the limit with what you place inside of these.

Stew with Dumplings

-Make a stew of your choice, hamburger/ chicken/ beef
-1 pkg pilsbury biscuits

Make your stew, pour it into a casserole dish. Lay the biscuits on top and bake according to package directions. Can sprinkle shredded cheese on top of biscuits before baking.

Chili Dogs

-Hot dogs/Buns
-1 can of Chili (Brand of your choice)
-Shredded cheese

Directions, self explanatory. This is a good way to use up left over home made chili too. Serve with fries, salad.

I have a couple friends that can't cook so I made them cook books for Xmas. I converted recipes that I make by scratch into recipes they can handle with easier. I called it Cooking for Dummies ;p. These are some of the easier recipes I included in their books.

DarkAisling
03-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Mmmmm. You guys should pool your recipes and print an oilfield cookbook.

Group recipes under chapter headings to do with the cooking implement available to you:

1. hot plate
2. double hot plate (much more complex meals can be done on a double)
3. microwave
4. toaster oven
5. slow cooker
6. sterno
7. tiger torch BBQ.
8. for those with deluxe suites, there's the dishwasher, for poaching fish.

:lol: Love it! Don't forget "Manifold." A couple of our field guys are pretty adept at using the manifolds in their trucks for heating up food and even cooking some.

honda450
03-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Here's one we use in the bush for lunch in the winter.

1 can Campbell's chunky soup.

2. Place unopened can on top of dash of truck near the vent. Put a jacket or something simular to keep heat around can. Put defrost on high with full heat.

3. Let truck run 5 hours. Go do your work till lunch.

4. Come back at lunch and enjoy sandwiches with hot soup. :wave:

Sporty
03-06-2010, 09:18 AM
My dad is a truck driver and my mom picked him up one of these. She continually makes him home made frozen dinners for the road. She packages them in aluminum bread pans and they fit in the oven perfectly. He pops in his meal and its ready when he's ready for a stop. They work awesome.

http://www.realtruck.com/roadpro_12_volt_portable_travel_oven/R141507P1C1T.html

honda450
03-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Ya can also cook a steak, burgers etc. on irons that are supplied by the motel. And ya, would be surprised what ya can cook in a coffee maker. :lol::lol:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Geezle Jay make yourself a treat of Tacos .

Fry some hamburger up , Get it her the hard or soft tacos , get some ice berg lettuce , cheese , tomato or whatever wets your taste buds , and some sour cream and have at er . Very simple and very good .

Also

Get a steak , cut it in 1/2 inch strips , cook with a little onion , butter , and add BBQ sauce as the meat cooks , make a small salad as you can buy that pre cut lettuce make a caesar salad , and cook up some rice and your eatting like a champ . And hell its even healthy .

Or

Make a quick stir fry .

go to the frozen section , pick up Stir fry veggies , get some Bulls eye BBQ sauce , A steak or Chicken Breast , and slice it up cook until its done toss in the veggies and some onion , once there hot add the BBQ sauce a little salt and pepper and again Eating like a king . Add some noodles , or rice and your rockin like a Rockstar . Best thing its very simple to do .

Geezle
03-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Wow, this thread really took off overnight :cool:

Some great ideas put out there and after I get groceries in a couple days I'll definitely be trying some of them out :D

Thanks for the great ideas everybody, and keep 'em coming :wave:

CaberTosser
03-06-2010, 05:23 PM
The lettuce/veggie sections usually have the prepackaged stir-fry veggie assortments. Grab a bag of those and a bottle of teriyaki (or whatever flavor strikes your fancy) stir-fry sauce from the asian food aisle, and cook them up with some sliced beef, chicken, pork or shrimp even. Serve with rice or noodles.

Woks make for nice 'one pot' meals. Excluding the rice of course. Those countertop rice cookers are handy for cooking up a batch too.

ELKOHOLICS
03-07-2010, 09:34 PM
The portable plug -in sandwich makers just throw in left-overs between two pieces of bread it toast's it perfectly quick simple lived in hotel rooms for a while beats heating-up pizza with a bedside lamp

rhuntley12
03-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Can't go wrong with slow cookers, they are great.

Get some stew meat, a can of beer and leave it cooking while you at work, take juices mix with butter and flower when you back and make gravy.

Or just make pot roast. I like to have it in there all day then when I get home I chop up potatoes and carrots and toss them in for a couple hours.

All kinds of soups you can make too.

Couple cans of diced tomatoes, can of corn or two, can of beans, chop some onions, green peppers, jalepenos, carrots, pretty much any veggie you like, some ground beef, packet of taco seasoning and packet of ranch seasoning and cook for a couple hours in there. Good soup! Pour a bowl and put in some cheese and tortillas.

m88.358wn
03-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Bachelor casserole:

1 can of peas
1 can of tuna
some macaroni and cheese
blend all ingredients together
heat and eat :)

Dick284
03-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Fry pan
Lean Gr. beef, or venison
1 can of cream of mush, or cream of chicken soup
1 bag of frozen mixed veggies
minuite rice.

Brown the ground meat, in the fry pan, add the soup, and a touch of water, throw in a handfull or 2 of mixed veggies, heat till bubbling, then a fist full of rice(pasta could be added inplace of rice) simmer for about 5 or 10 more mins, spice to taste, and there ya go.

CaberTosser
03-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Can't go wrong with slow cookers, they are great.

Get some stew meat, a can of beer and leave it cooking while you at work, take juices mix with butter and flower when you back and make gravy.

Do you suggest roses or petunias? Or are daisies the most flavorful?:evilgrin:

Geezle
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for keeping the ideas coming guys! :cool:

I haven't gotten to try any out yet...last night Ken was sporting enough to invite me in for dinner (thanks bud, you have no idea how much I appreciated having a 'real' meal, and your wife is a wicked cook :)) and I've got some fresh trout I have to eat up before I start venturing in to new territory :)

Ken07AOVette
03-08-2010, 07:35 PM
anytime Jay.

Kerry says;

WHERE'S MY COFFEE??? :mad2:

Geezle
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
anytime Jay.

Kerry says;

WHERE'S MY COFFEE??? :mad2:

:lol:

I PROMISE next time for sure :o

I was in a hurry when I left yesterday and flew right by Timmies :lol:

Geezle
03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I forgot to add Ken's buddy Ron (another good guy :)) gave me some duck breast and some deer cubed up for stewing. I think the deer may end up in a stir fry, but I'm a little lost on the duck, so if anybody has any simple recipes for that (or the deer) I'm all ears :)

waylow
03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
brown hamburger, add KD and a can of mushroom soup, stir it all up and voila, your good for about 3 days!

S.A.S
03-08-2010, 09:28 PM

What kind of work do you do and where can I apply?

Jamie
03-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Kd and everything
Use any of these ideas, combine them together, or use separately

Salsa
Hamburger
Sausage
Tuna
Tomato soup
Cream of chicken soup
That dipping sauce you get with dumplings (Chinese) BTW this is great
Corn
Peas
Stewed tomato's (Need lots of salt to pull this one together)
Use as extra noodles, then keep the cheese for a double cheese order
Add Cheese Whiz
If you don't have milk.. Add more butter
Sprinkle seasoning salt on it
Add left over chicken
Get a roasted chicken, have a good meal then make a casserole
Fry KD the next day
Add Hot sauce.. MMM FRANKS!!!
Hot Dogs

Man the list is endless.
I KNOW I could make a cook book for College kids.

Jamie