PDA

View Full Version : Rum Drinkers

Arn?Narn.
07-20-2010, 09:00 PM
What are you all drinking?

I was at my favourite liquor store here in GP and got to talking about Rum...

A few minutes later I was in the back room tasting about 9 or 10 different ones...

I was completely surprised by the Old Port which I have never purchased before...

It was surprisingly smooth... not bad on taste,,,but so smooth as silk...

I am still surprised

Slannesh
07-20-2010, 09:08 PM
I drink a bit of lots of different rums...

current favorite is Gosling's Black Seal.

I also really like Pyrate Rum but it's a tad pricey to mix with your rum and coke.

I'd love to be able to do a good rum tasting. Got to do a high end vodka tasting last year and it was surprising how different they were from each other.

mooseknuckle
07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Old port is good stuff. I usually drink lemon heart. It,s not top shelf by anymeans but I've aquired a taste for it.

TreeGuy
07-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Can't touch the stuff anymore. Makes me wanna post videos like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjLVBDJUZ1U :evilgrin:

PEIslander
07-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Rum & Pepsi = Captain Morgan
Rum & Ice = Bacardi 8

Arn?Narn.
07-20-2010, 09:21 PM

I can't believe that vid has been viewed a thousand times almost...

:rolleye2: :):happy0180::sick:

This one was a rough one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-jWQGEOros

pottymouth
07-20-2010, 09:22 PM
:lol::47b20s0:Can't touch the stuff anymore. Makes me wanna post videos like this....

TreeGuy
07-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Nows Arn, you and yer little buddy Elmo need to starts up one of dose video blog thingers and become Canada's 'Perez Hilton'. You'd be rich in no time flat. In fact, I think yer a national treasure on a scale as epic as Rita MacNeil's girth. Go fer it b'ye! :D

Arn?Narn.
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
I was talked about on reloaded Radio Canada last week...sure I'm right famous by'..or at least Sealhunter is :rolleye2: :)

Albertadiver
07-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Some of the stuff out of Cuba is great. I really liked Bacardi 1878, but they quit making it in the last year or so.

Knotter
07-20-2010, 10:32 PM
havana club dark - 12 year or better. Straight up. Awesome stuff.

fitzy
07-20-2010, 10:38 PM
I agree about the Havana Club, really great!! My all time favorite was Bacardi Cyclone, rum blended with Tequila and lime. It made the best margaritas I've ever had!!

Kanonfodder
07-20-2010, 10:43 PM
If you want to indulge....Zaya 12 yr old bar none ( and I have tried hundreds ) best bang for 70 bucks... for mixing Matusalem or Flor de Cana

tbone616
07-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Appleton's reserve by far my favorite. Lamb's Black sheep isn't to bad either.

Rockymtnx
07-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I really liked Bacardi 1873, but they quit making it in the last year or so.

Good thing they still sell it in the US. You can also buy it in Mexico it is labled as Bacardi Ron Solera 1878. Rumor has it that you will see in Canadian stores again.

For me I drink the following:
Bacardi 8
Bacradi 1873
Pyrat
Gosling's Black Seal
Appleton XV, Reserve, Extra 12 year

Albertadiver
07-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Good thing they still sell it in the US. You can also buy it in Mexico it is labled as Bacardi Ron Solera 1878. Rumor has it that you will see in Canadian stores again.

For me I drink the following:
Bacardi 8
Bacradi 1878
Pyrat
Gosling's Black Seal
Appleton XV, Reserve, Extra 12 year

SWEET! :sHa_shakeshout:

I like appletons as well, nice stuff once in a while. I find I tend to like the darker or amber rums. Another really nice rum is Mount Gay. I have a nice bottle in my cabinet. Too bad it's empty.

TreeGuy
07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Another really nice rum is Mount Gay.

Ummmm........ :sad0071:

TUFFBUFF
07-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Rum is good...

Bacardi 1873 , I have some Black I haven't tried yet on the shelf.
Captain Morgan Spiced, and Tatoo (only found it in the U.S)
Legendario from Cuba is real good.
Havana Club Barrel Proof is waiting for a special occasion.

Don't like the whites, drink amber and dark - kind depends on the mix!

Rockymtnx
07-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Tatoo (only found it in the U.S)
I bought a bottle of Tattoo this spring. Personally I wasnt a big fan of it. What did you think?

Havana Club Barrel Proof is waiting for a special occasion.
Havana Club makes something worth more that $7 a bottle? ;)

Papershredder
07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Captian Morgan Private Stock is my favorite. But it's still hard to beat a CM Spiced/Ginger Ale on a hot day.

funtimetim
07-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Lemon Hart!!!!

Big Bull
07-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Mount Gay Extra Old, ginger beer, and a squeeze of lime, over ice
AKA - Dark N' Stormy

TUFFBUFF
07-21-2010, 12:00 AM
I bought a bottle of Tattoo this spring. Personally I wasnt a big fan of it. What did you think?

Havana Club makes something worth more that $7 a bottle? ;)

The Tattoo is real sweet, like a liquer (sp?) , mine's still 3/4 full

The Havanna stuff was 5x the price of anything else in Cuba and came in one of those cool cardboard boxes so I'm hoping it will be real good, 12yr 2006 best in class.

The 4-9 dollar stuff was all right too :)

walleyechaser
07-21-2010, 12:15 AM
sailor jerrys and capt morgan spiced with coke are my favourite drinks

The Fisherman Guy
07-21-2010, 12:21 AM
AKA - Dark N' Stormy

This is my drink. Except for the extra old, but I agree Mount Gay mixed correctly is luxurious leisure.

I have to ask Big Bull, how were you introduced to the dark and stormy?

duffy4
07-21-2010, 12:53 AM
I've never met a rum I didn't like.

Lemon-hart and pepsi with a squeeze of key lime and ice is nice. You can be just average intelligence when you start a bottle but it is amazing how smart you get as you get near the bottom of the bottle.

I have been drinking a "pre-mix" drink down here in Australia called "Smirnoff Mule" It is Vodka, Ginger beer and lime. I reckon a good ounce of Rum added to a glass would be alright.

walking buffalo
07-21-2010, 01:02 AM
AKA - Dark N' Stormy

Sounds good. Nice timing for the thread, just opened up a bottle of Mount Gay, checking the forum for advice on where to shoot a book ram this fall.:)

Memories of Barbados.

Mount Gay, with fresh coconut water from a nut picked off the beach during the morning walk.

That's for lunch.

Dark Mount Gay, with one cube of ice, and a hand rolled (or more importantly, rolled on her thigh) Bajan cigar! :acigar:

With a side of fresh Dolphin or Wahoo, that's dinner! :sHa_shakeshout:

Kingfisher
07-21-2010, 01:33 AM
havana club dark - 12 year or better. Straight up. Awesome stuff.

YA BABY this is one of my favorite rums. When I was in Cuba a few years ago I think I may have drank a barrel or two of the stuff.

Rum, coke and a bit of lime. Cuba Libra. Yummy. I think I'll go pour one right now. Ya it's late. But it's my evening even if it's 1:30 in the morning. Shift work screws with your mind. So you may as well make the best of it.

Rob

goober
07-21-2010, 03:37 AM
Meyer's, Matusalem and Pyrate.

berjerkin
07-21-2010, 07:02 AM
havana club amber, 7-up and a quirt of lime juice AKA medicene. another good one to try is bundaberg, made in australia. made of molasses from sugar cane, so it is a little sweeter.

209x50
07-21-2010, 07:29 AM

I need a translator or english subtitles to follow that one!:)

Tracker34
07-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Capt'n Morgan Spiced with Cranberry juice and a shot of lime. Need to get the vitamin C in there.

FCLightning
07-21-2010, 07:48 AM
No one has mentioned Cruzan Single Barrel. I prefer it to Appletons Special Reserve. Spiced Rum in Apple Cider makes a nice cold day tonic.

Knotter
07-21-2010, 08:16 AM
C'mon all you mixers - GO NEAT. It takes a little startch to get used to it but it's worth it. Your grandpa that was storming beaches 60 years ago would be proud you did.

At least try it that way.

FCLightning
07-21-2010, 08:35 AM
The Cruzan is very nice neat, but when I go neat it is Scotch for me. Cruzan and Coke when I feel like a mixed drink.

greylynx
07-21-2010, 09:01 AM
oh oh: I double posted

Big Bull
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
This is my drink. Except for the extra old, but I agree Mount Gay mixed correctly is luxurious leisure.

I have to ask Big Bull, how were you introduced to the dark and stormy?
A good friend of mine used to sail on the Bluenose ll, and he discovered the Darn N' Stormy Night when they were down in Bermuda. Originally, it is made with Gossling's Black Seal rum, but around here, Mount Gay Eclipse or Extra Old are the rum's of choice. I don't drink anymore, but this thread sure is making me thirsty!

greylynx
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
:confused:Since there are numerous rum experts on this forum I have a question?

What is TRUE "Newfoundland Screech".

Is it a cheap Newfoundland rum manufacturer?

Is it the washings out of old rum barrels, much like making swish?

Is it some sort of home-made hooch?

Is it something else?

There a numerous defintions on the internet, but I would like some expert opinions that one can only gather on this forum:sHa_shakeshout:.

sheephunter
07-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Just discovered Sailor Jerry spiced Navy Rum. It goes very nicely with ginger beer.

Black Seal and Lemonhart are standbys in the dark department either with Coke or ginger beer.

Arn?Narn.
07-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I have been drinking Captn Morgan Private Stock for a while and had a stint of just loving Capt Deluxe...

When I started trying different rums,...well I still like Captain Morgan but boy there sure are some nice rums out there that don't have you bombared with commercials...:)

A had a bottle of Black Sheep a while back and really enjoyed it...

I used to like a drink of lambs and seven now and then as well..

I want to try Sailor Jerry's (the one with the grass skirt chick on it) but never seem able to fully commit to buying it...
Ya see I like spiced rums,...but I find Captain Morgan tastes just too vanilla-ish artificial-ish for me...

How does the sailor compare to the Cptn? :)

I'm really into beer and drink quite a bit of it....

I try many kinds and love my Guinness and Kilkenny and a few others...

Now that I have about 6 beers that I truly enjoy...(some too expensive to enjoy a dozen on a hot afternoon, some cheap enough ya can) I really want to get my other drink (black rum) on track and find my brand..

Someone mentioned Vodka tasting...

Went to one a few weeks ago,...man..what an eye opener. (tastebud opener)

Drink a fair drop of Red wine as well,...favourite is always Amarone...

The only white I truly like is called Conundrum... I'd reccommend it but I'd hate to give you a habit because it is addictive...

Liquers...I like Irish Mist... Baileys...Grande Marinier....

Now help me find my rum !!!!!!:)

Heckler
07-21-2010, 09:21 AM
I like this thread! Many of the brands mentioned I have yet to try.

For me, its hard to choose a favorite...

I like the darker rums best, I think my favorite demerara is Old Sam, very nice with cola.

I also like either Captain Morgan Private Stock or Spiced with cola and lime.

CM Spiced is great with Dr Pepper also...or try Lamb's Black Sheep with Dr Pepper, that is a nice drink.

Also, I really enjoy Matusalem Gran Reserva, I like it neat - Matusalem Clasico is nice too.

WCTHEMI
07-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Lemon Hart is my favorite, with Capt Morgan's Spiced being a close second.

Kanonfodder
07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
I love this thread !! My top 10 rums in no particular order

Zaya
matusalem 15
pyrat
gosling black seal
ron zacapa 23
the Kraken
appletons 5
appletons 30
flor de cana 15
legendario

If anyone has a liquor question I would be happy to help as I have been in the industry almost 20yrs so feel free.....Screech is a dark rum originally smuggled up from the barbados, jamaica area...somehow some barrels of rum appeared in Nfld and were bottled..its not bad stuff to be honest.....Conundrum is a great white wine but pricey..if you like that style of wine try Ironstones Obsession...I refer to it as the poor mans Conundrum...btw Superstore is the cheapest place to buy Conundrum I have found....

iliketrout
07-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Ask Kingfisher about this one: Brugal Extra Viejo (Extra Old). It's out of the Dominican and extremely hard to find up here. But it's my favorite. You can get it in either Grand Prarie or Dawson's Creek, of all places. But I still haven't found it in Calgary.

rugatika
07-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I like Cruzan, and appletons, among others...but for traditions sake..you can't beat Pussers it is apparently the original rum that was given to british sailors as part of their daily ration they were entitled to.

http://www.pussers.com/

AlbertaSasquatch
07-21-2010, 12:13 PM
I actually own a liquor store here in Alberta. I used to be a strictly beer drinker but I am really getting a taste for rum. I love spiced rum, any of them but my favourite is The Kraken. It is a black spiced rum and it is amazing! So smooth. It's getting pretty popular and I am actually having a hard time gettting it in right now. I usually drink it with ginger but pepsi works well too.

I also like good ol' Captain(spiced, private stock, or even the deluxe), Pyrat, Black Sheep, Sailor Jerry, and Voodoo spiced.

I just got some new rums in that come from Venezuela, Diplomatico Reserva & Diplomatico Exlusiva Reserva. They are supposed to be fantastic but I have yet to try it. I also accidentally ordered Pyrat's most expensive rum, Cask 1623, and it runs at about $225 a bottle. I have yet to try that either. One of these days.

artie
07-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Try Meyers Planters Punch great rum

Kananaskis
07-21-2010, 12:34 PM
If you ever get a chance try Old Monk rum from India. It is completely different from any traditional rum but is still a fantastic rum. I first had it working in India, you could buy it for the equivalent of about 4 Canadian dollars for a 1 liter bottle.

The upper cast won't drink it because it's a soldier drink, but it was certainly good enough for me!

I saw it for sale in Edmonton liquor stores about 2 years ago selling for $28 for a 750ml bottle. I don't know if you can still get it.

Also Woods rum from England, sad no longer available in Alberta.

AlbertaSasquatch
07-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Ya, I have had some very mad rum customers since they discontinued Ciclon, 1876, and now Wood's.

skywrench
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Well, I've sampled most of the rums listed here to varying degrees so I'm either (A) a rum affionado or (B) a confirmed liquor pig - my wife would likely choose door B :). For me it's Mount Gay (Extra Old is awesome on the rocks) or Gosling's Black Seal. My daughter tried some Gosling's and coke (with a twist of lime) a while back - her reaction was great. She said it was just like some kind of adult candy - I couldn't argue with that. I do love Lemon Hart 150 but my wife says I get stupid too fast when I drink overproof - I don't think I can argue with that either, I experience time travel almost every time I try it :).

walking buffalo
07-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I actually own a liquor store here in Alberta.

Did your Frienship request count just go up? :oregonian_winesmile

If you ever get a chance try Old Monk rum from India. It is completely different from any traditional rum but is still a fantastic rum.

I had some for the first time last month. Definately a different tasting rum, and good. I also tried rum from Afghanistan and Pakistan that night. I was ready to take on the world!:budo:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I have been drinking Captn Morgan Private Stock for a while and had a stint of just loving Capt Deluxe...

When I started trying different rums,...well I still like Captain Morgan but boy there sure are some nice rums out there that don't have you bombared with commercials...:)

A had a bottle of Black Sheep a while back and really enjoyed it...

I used to like a drink of lambs and seven now and then as well..

I want to try Sailor Jerry's (the one with the grass skirt chick on it) but never seem able to fully commit to buying it...
Ya see I like spiced rums,...but I find Captain Morgan tastes just too vanilla-ish artificial-ish for me...

How does the sailor compare to the Cptn? :)

I'm really into beer and drink quite a bit of it....

I try many kinds and love my Guinness and Kilkenny and a few others...

Now that I have about 6 beers that I truly enjoy...(some too expensive to enjoy a dozen on a hot afternoon, some cheap enough ya can) I really want to get my other drink (black rum) on track and find my brand..

Someone mentioned Vodka tasting...

Went to one a few weeks ago,...man..what an eye opener. (tastebud opener)

Drink a fair drop of Red wine as well,...favourite is always Amarone...

The only white I truly like is called Conundrum... I'd reccommend it but I'd hate to give you a habit because it is addictive...

Liquers...I like Irish Mist... Baileys...Grande Marinier....

Now help me find my rum !!!!!!:)

Not to be a dick is there anything you wont drink > :lol: just putting it out there after seeing you chug that glass of whiskey MANNNNNNNN .

Don't think ive ever meet a rum I didn't like except for a few years back men's fishing trip I went on , bought some Jamaican rum that had THC in it . HOLY i was smashed after 2 cups of the stuff . And when I drink rum I dont wanna get smashed just wanna enjoy it .

Rockymtnx
07-21-2010, 02:32 PM
If your not to much yup on the taste and just want that special feeling, why not some good ole Barcardi 151. :D

http://intoxicologist.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/bacardi151-llarge.jpg

Arn?Narn.
07-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Not to be a dick is there anything you wont drink > :lol: just putting it out there after seeing you chug that glass of whiskey MANNNNNNNN .

Don't think ive ever meet a rum I didn't like except for a few years back men's fishing trip I went on , bought some Jamaican rum that had THC in it . HOLY i was smashed after 2 cups of the stuff . And when I drink rum I dont wanna get smashed just wanna enjoy it .

There's not much I won't drink,..That's the truth...
but I'm not a liquor pig...(Really....I'm not:))

I have a few staples and everything else is just loving to try stuff...

Sheephunter (TJ) might find this funny/Odd but I was at my Liquor store the other day which is known for it's selections in Scotch Vodka Rum Beer and Wines...I was looking at the Goslings and remebered once that SH had s
once commented on a post of mine "I figured you would drink Black Seal" ....(as my username was sealhunter)

I passed on the Gosling's and went to the beer cooler to pick out a few beers to try and grab the usual few Guinness and Kilkenny...I picked up a few Steinlager, a Becks (believe it or not I had never tried it til then) and a few others I don't recall...as I was walking out of the cooler something hit me in the face and i almost laughed having looked at the Gosling's a few minutes before....

It was a an english beer called Black Sheep Ale... I thought to myself,.. I bet this is what SH drinks religiously...
It's made at the Black Sheep Brewery in Yorkshire, England...

I bought a few and they were pretty good...

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p125/ithicaxl/001-11.jpg

The Fisherman Guy
07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Arn!

Here is what opened my eyes to Rum.

I like a strong drink every now and then, usually rye if I want a stronger mix. But with the sugar in rum I have discovered that properly mixed, the flavors could unite Africa.

Two cubes in a highball glass.

One ounce of Mount Gay Rum

Squeeze of lime, wedge included.

Coke, Ginger or Ginger Beer to the top.

Some find that the spicyness of the ginger beer overpowers the other flavors, but for me it is just right. Any more rum in there and I get the wiggles.

Since you just mentioned beer, next time check out Steamwhistle. Being from the East coast, you might already be familiar with it. Three guys who were let go from Sleemans started up Steamwhistle under the company name "3FG" for "Three Fired Guys"
They now have more momentum than any other smaller Canadian brewery, and are growing fast. Only 4 ingredients: Hops, Yeast, Barley, and Spring water.
One neat point: Most of their fleet vehicles are vintage. A very good friend of mine is the regional sales rep for Western Canada. You can see his 67' C10 driving around Calgary, recently restored again. It's Steamwhistle green, and totally badash.

Big Bull: I have only heard of one other person who has heard of the Dark and Stormy, who brought it from the Caribbean. Makes you wonder how much farther north the good news has spread! Thanks for the reply!

Arn?Narn.
07-21-2010, 02:59 PM
As far as the comment on Screech goes...

form the website...

Long before any liquor board was created, the Jamaican rum that was eventually to be known as Screech was a mainstay of the Newfoundland diet. Salt fish was shipped to the West Indies in exchange for rum; the fish became the national dish of Jamaicans and the rum became the traditional drink of Newfoundlanders.

Not being overly concerned with alcohol content, the early fishermen tended to drink the rum at incredibly high strength with no attempt made to temper the taste. When the Canadian government took control of the alcohol trade in the early 20th century, they put the rum in a sophisticated, unlabelled bottle and fortunately did not alter the rum itself. This delightful product may have continued indefinitely as a nameless rum except for the influx of American servicemen to Newfoundland during World War II.

As the story goes, the commanding officer of the first detachment was taking advantage of Newfoundland hospitality for the first time and was offered a drop of rum as an after dinner drink. Seeing his host toss back the liquor with nary a quiver, the unsuspecting American adhered to local custom and downed the drink in one gulp.

The look of shock and the glorious shades of color on the American's face were overshadowed by the bloodcurdling howl made by the poor fellow as he managed to regain his breath. Sympathetic persons from miles around rushed to the house to assist the poor man in such obvious agony and of course to satisfy their curiosity as to what was going on. Among the first to arrive was a garrulous old American sergeant who pounded on the door and demanded “What the cripes was that ungodly screech?”

The taciturn Newf who had answered the door replied simply, “The screech?” ‘Tis the rum, me son.”

Thus was born a legend. As word of the incident was passed around, the soldiers determined to try this mysterious “screech” and finding its effects as devastating as the name implies, adopted it as their favorite.

The liquor board immediately pounced on the name and reputation and began labeling Famous Newfoundland Screech. Over the years, the alcohol content of Screech has been toned down and the flavor mellowed, so that in 2003, Screech Rum won a gold medal for excellent taste at the International Rum Festival. Today, Screech remains a Newfoundland favorite.

Matt L.
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah, me and a few friends polished off a bottle one night. It was fun, and yes I do remember!:lol:

walking buffalo
07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
the Jamaican rum that was eventually to be known as Screech was a mainstay of the Newfoundland diet.

:oregonian_winesmile

walleyechaser
07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
i like screech, any of you like the black sheep rum, too spicy for me. tastes like one would think christmas tastes like

Arn?Narn.
07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I am quite fond of the Black Sheep...but more so in the cold of winter when it seems like you should be drinking Chistmasy spiced stuff to keep your belly warm and your cheeks glowing :)

Arn?Narn.
07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
:oregonian_winesmile

I was often know to have large helpings and seconds on occasion...:)

didn't even use a fork and knife...lol

walleyechaser
07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I am quite fond of the Black Sheep...but more so in the cold of winter when it seems like you should be drinking Chistmasy spiced stuff to keep your belly warm and your cheeks glowing :)

rather stick to the Capt or maybe a couple guiness

Arn?Narn.
07-21-2010, 03:42 PM
That is the best alternate plan I have heard in a long time...:sHa_shakeshout:

Paddlinman
07-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Ask Kingfisher about this one: Brugal Extra Viejo (Extra Old). It's out of the Dominican and extremely hard to find up here. But it's my favorite. You can get it in either Grand Prarie or Dawson's Creek, of all places. But I still haven't found it in Calgary.

I think Brugal is fantastic stuff. First tried it when I went to the Dominican and then tried for a couple years to find it locally. Finally Willowpark liquors started carrying it in Calgary, though I don't recall if they have the extra viejo. Think they had the younger one's.

tractor1971
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Funny thing nobody mentioned Stroh Rum, but hard to find. It is a Austrian import, but nothing out there compare. I usually bring some from Europe or South Africa, and come in various strengths-my personal favourite is the Stroh 80.........80% alcohol. The local liquor store managed to get a 200 ml bottle for me the other day.

AlienX
07-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Diplomatico on the rocks. Pricy, but an awesome sipping rum

goober
07-21-2010, 06:30 PM
I love this thread !! My top 10 rums in no particular order

Zaya
matusalem 15
pyrat
gosling black seal
ron zacapa 23
the Kraken
appletons 5
appletons 30
flor de cana 15
legendario

If anyone has a liquor question I would be happy to help as I have been in the industry almost 20yrs so feel free.....Screech is a dark rum originally smuggled up from the barbados, jamaica area...somehow some barrels of rum appeared in Nfld and were bottled..its not bad stuff to be honest.....Conundrum is a great white wine but pricey..if you like that style of wine try Ironstones Obsession...I refer to it as the poor mans Conundrum...btw Superstore is the cheapest place to buy Conundrum I have found....

On top of the 3 Rum's I mentioned before there is one more that I love but can not remember the name. It comes in a red box with black and brown writing on it??? Any idea's Kannon???:sHa_shakeshout:

On another note. Where are all you guy's finding ginger beer?? I loved it as a kid but can not find it anywhere now!!!:angry3:

sheephunter
07-21-2010, 06:42 PM
On another note. Where are all you guy's finding ginger beer?? I loved it as a kid but can not find it anywhere now!!!:angry3:

Pretty well any grocery store but you can get a 2L bottle for a buck at Super Store.

kevpack
07-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Tried a dandy rum ...Eldorado, I think they have a 15 yr old and a 20, pricey so thou shall not mix.

AlbertaSasquatch
07-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Funny thing nobody mentioned Stroh Rum, but hard to find. It is a Austrian import, but nothing out there compare. I usually bring some from Europe or South Africa, and come in various strengths-my personal favourite is the Stroh 80.........80% alcohol. The local liquor store managed to get a 200 ml bottle for me the other day.

That's funny because I just brought some in for someone the other day. The only other Stroh that you could get was 54 in a 500ml. Hmmmmm....you wouldn't happen to be from central alberta, maybe east of Red Deer would you?

iliketrout
07-21-2010, 08:56 PM
I think Brugal is fantastic stuff. First tried it when I went to the Dominican and then tried for a couple years to find it locally. Finally Willowpark liquors started carrying it in Calgary, though I don't recall if they have the extra viejo. Think they had the younger one's.

I think I will be visiting Willow Park tomorrow at lunch time!

canadianharley
07-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Why has nobody mentioned English Harbor? Comes in a green bottle with a cork, absolutely my favorite. Distant second, but great anyways runners up are:
sailor jerry
mount gay
bacardi gold
gosling
coskspur

TUFFBUFF
07-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Here's the "world famous" Bacardi Bat , This is in downtown Havana, Cuba. This was the original building that had the offices in it before he migrated to the U.S.A. I think in the late 1800's

javlin101
07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Don't drink rum often but like Bacardi or Appletons

Pointerman
07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
I usually drink Lemon Heart when I drink rum just an old fishing habit.

A friend brought out a bottle of Appleton Special Reserve last summer at a field trial...it was speeeeecccciiiiaaal let me tell you. Pretty pricey at $92 a bottle but worth it!

FCLightning
07-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Come to the Big Country trial on the Friday and I will break out some Cruzan - cheaper and better IMO.

Pointerman
07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Come to the Big Country trial on the Friday and I will break out some Cruzan - cheaper and better IMO.

It was at Big Country last year when I sampled that fine Appleton....pouring rain so there wasn't much better to do.

walleyechaser
07-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Funny thing nobody mentioned Stroh Rum

I love stroh, that stuff is quite potent though

S.A.S
07-21-2010, 11:11 PM
I keep it pretty simple. Captain Morgans spiced rum or Captain Morgans Dark Mmmm.

goober
07-22-2010, 03:28 AM
Tried a dandy rum ...Eldorado, I think they have a 15 yr old and a 20, pricey so thou shall not mix.

Did it come in a red box?

Geezle
07-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Some of the stuff out of Cuba is great. I really liked Bacardi 1878, but they quit making it in the last year or so.

Seriously? :(

I used to love that stuff back in the day, but it's been many moons since I've bought a bottle...pity...

kevpack
07-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by kevpack View Post
Did it come in a red box?

Yes I think so...little foggy though

Kanonfodder
07-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Goober pretty sure the rum you asked about is the Elderado 12 yr..they make some awesome rums...also if you get a chance they make a fine rum cream as well...

Strohs Rum is available in 80 only in a 200ml btl in alberta...
Cockspur is a nice gold they make a very nice 12yr as well
The Diplomatico from Venezula is real good as well..rep is a friend of mine....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j206/kanonfodder/ElDoradoDemerara12Y.jpg

THis it?

fatrack
07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
One of the best rums I have tried is made in the same stills and pots they were using 200 years ago- this stuff is the real deal, its called Barbancourt. We used to get it for $2.00 a bottle when I lived in Haiti. Give it a try if you like rum.

Cowboy Al
07-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Favs:
Lambs Palm Breeze (cheap and can find it everywhere)
Bacardi's 1873
Also rans:
Lemonhart- the hart = Heartburn
Appletons- my breathe the next day is brutal
Capt Morgan's Spiced- makes me fall out of my lawn chair

That being said I never met a rum I wouldn't drink:bad_boys_20:

goober
07-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Goober pretty sure the rum you asked about is the Elderado 12 yr..they make some awesome rums...also if you get a chance they make a fine rum cream as well...

Strohs Rum is available in 80 only in a 200ml btl in alberta...
Cockspur is a nice gold they make a very nice 12yr as well
The Diplomatico from Venezula is real good as well..rep is a friend of mine....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j206/kanonfodder/ElDoradoDemerara12Y.jpg

THis it?

That is it!!! By far my fav but the name always slips my mind!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Desert Eagle
07-22-2010, 08:01 PM
We have been traveling to the carribian for a bit. The Brugal in the dominican was expensive but good. In Cuba we got to sample the rum before we bought it at 8 am, and they don't believe in mix for taste testing. We found the most amazing rum I have ever had it is called Legendario Elixer de Cuba, It is soo smooth that you can just drink it no mix no ice, perfect rum. We also picked up some blue label Havana Club, everyone else has been raving about it but it we have not had the opprotunity to try it yet.

Kanonfodder
07-22-2010, 09:29 PM
I will post this also in the scotch thread....if you fellows want to find if a product is available in alberta there is a search engine available to do so...

www.albertaliquorguide.com

enter the name of the product ...if it comes up click on find it then punch in where u want to look...now this just tells you who has ordered it recently no guarantee they have any left but its a place to start.....

Kanonfodder
07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
We have been traveling to the carribian for a bit. The Brugal in the dominican was expensive but good. In Cuba we got to sample the rum before we bought it at 8 am, and they don't believe in mix for taste testing. We found the most amazing rum I have ever had it is called Legendario Elixer de Cuba, It is soo smooth that you can just drink it no mix no ice, perfect rum. We also picked up some blue label Havana Club, everyone else has been raving about it but it we have not had the opprotunity to try it yet.

Available here in Alberta but very hard to find...see above LOL

Pointerman
07-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Weekend is coming!!! I am going to try that Mount Gay Extra/Ginger beer concoction that Big Bull mentioned.....sounds like it might just be the ticket!

Arn?Narn.
07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Friend showed up today...now I am sampling a Sailor Jerry's and Kraken...
The Sailor Jerry's I mixed with coke and had a bit neat...pretty good I must say...Gonna try the Kraken Shortly...

walleyechaser
07-23-2010, 06:27 PM
sailor jerrys is great, high alcohol % too. start having too much fun when I have a couple of those

landowner
07-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Bundaberg - Australian,

sinawalli
07-25-2010, 09:27 AM
i like cruzan, and appletons, among others...but for traditions sake..you can't beat pussers it is apparently the original rum that was given to british sailors as part of their daily ration they were entitled to.

http://www.pussers.com/

x2, x2, x2!!!!!

Kanonfodder
07-25-2010, 12:22 PM
x2, x2, x2!!!!!

If you look around to some of the liquor Depots in Edm and GP maybe Cowtown Pussers did have a 15yr old available in a red label bottle....it is amazing...hard to find but I am sure I can find it.....:sHa_shakeshout:

steve0
07-26-2010, 06:40 AM
#1. Screech!
#2. Old Sam!
#3. Whatever I can find

Spennydubs
07-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Appletons and Flora Decanna with coke or ginger are my fav's!

Arn?Narn.
08-29-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm trying to get my hands on a bottle of "The Lash"...

can anyone help?

CaberTosser
08-29-2010, 11:46 PM

I still have a bottle of Brugal left from our trip to the DR 3 1/2 years ago. Normally I don't like rum, and I found the Brugal pretty nice. I don't drink much these days though, so the liquor stock doesn't deplete much. Its kind of a glacial pace, really. I heard Brugal was available in town though, as until a few months back there was a fellow from the Dominican living a couple of doors down from us.

Albertadiver
08-29-2010, 11:58 PM
I already posted on this thread somewheres.... but since I'm still on holidaze for another 6hrs, I'm currently sampling some of my reserve stock.

Angostura 1919

Look it up. Buy some. Drink some.

Arn?Narn.
08-30-2010, 12:19 AM
I already posted on this thread somewheres.... but since I'm still on holidaze for another 6hrs, I'm currently sampling some of my reserve stock.

Angostura 1919

Look it up. Buy some. Drink some.

Enjoy Youself !!!!:)

I just had a taste of Matusalem 15 Gran....
I was in Edmonton and picked up some gear at Campers Vilage, Atmosphere and MEC for a friend...

When I returned she had a bottle of this rum for me as a thank you...

I like it very much...I may keep it for Xmas as I know my DAd will like it...

Big Bull
08-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Enjoy Youself !!!!:)

I just had a taste of Matusalem 15 Gran....

Excellent rum! No mix required.

pdfish
08-30-2010, 10:11 AM
sailor jerrys is great, high alcohol % too. start having too much fun when I have a couple of those

x2. Can't even drink CM spiced anymore since trying the Sailor Jerry's, mix with a little ginger ale for color, and voila, great drink.

rawhide
08-30-2010, 11:15 AM
lived in Cuba for a year working in there Oilfield, it was tough:sHa_shakeshout:

Anyways pressure tested everyone of there Rums, my ratings from extensive drinking,,

Ron Varedareo 5yrs
prefect rum for a splash of coke, Mojito's or straight up

Ron Carney 7yrs
no mix, just straight, so smooth.

An intresting fact for you Organic types out there. All Cuban rum is made from old sugar plantations from the USSR era. With all the restrictions that the US puts on them. Cuba dosen't use any ferterlizer on there crops. They can't get the Ferterlizer to be imported and don't have the cash flow to increase there yields.

In a nut shell

Organic Cuban rum = No nasty Hangover:bad_boys_20:

P.S. Down there Havana Club is our equvalent of drinking Baby Duck:snapoutofit:

6.5 JUNKIE
08-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Best rum I have ever had is Ron Zacapa 15 or 25 year as Kanonfinder had mentioned. Very hard to get in Alberta. You cant beat the old lemonhart.

badbrass
08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Brought back some Appletons from Jamaica, was not to bad!:). Got back from PV Mexico this month, bought 2X 1.14L of CM spiced rum for $22.00 for both: unbelievable what we pay , :mad0030:

calalta
09-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I have switched from single malt to 'sipping' rum. My favourites have already been named:

El Dorado 12
Zaya
Capt Morgan Private Stock
Legendario for a 'liquer' type after dinner or blended with another rum

Arn?Narn.
11-30-2011, 09:06 PM
bump...

sheephunter
11-30-2011, 11:09 PM
New from Bacardi...Oakheart...yum!

Arn?Narn.
11-30-2011, 11:26 PM
i bought a bottle of Oakheart a few eeks ago, and the damn this disappeared...

Arn?Narn.
11-30-2011, 11:30 PM
My Favourite Rums are:

The Kraken

Matusalem 15

Diplomatico Hacienda Saruro

And do enjoy CM Private Stock

My Sisters fav if Appletons..

She was down from NWT last week and we tipped a bottle..
I liked it.

Kanonfodder
11-30-2011, 11:55 PM
From the twisted mind of well......me...I bring you a pair of rums I will be selling soon.....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j206/kanonfodder/pressPic9.png

Let me pour ya a stiff one.....:scared0018:

Kanonfodder
11-30-2011, 11:58 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j206/kanonfodder/pressPic3.png

yup Ron de Jeremy Rum:sHa_shakeshout:

buckfever
12-01-2011, 02:26 AM
after a few bad times on rum i gave up on it...except the best stuff 151!!! that sh!t will clear u of your problems and burns t the point u dont wana drink anymore... but after 6 or 7 shots of those the burning goes away ;) . i learned to love that stuff after this summer my coworker/ roomate would get a bottle of it and drink as much as he can of it... 6 or 7 oz got to the bathroom too ummm .... come out and keep drinking... so whenever he wasnt looking i take a healthy swig of it and he would wake up in the morning bragging about how much he drank....i told him what ive been doing for the past 4 months the day we moved... he was ****ed and told me i had to buy him a bottle lol

ill just stick to my beer and rye wake ups ( 4 oz of rye, 6oz of sprite or 7up, small monster can)

rhuntley12
12-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Guy I work with is from Grenada so when he is able to get a bottle he usually sends me a little bit to have a couple glasses with. Clarks Court. Usuaully the white rum, but he sent me some dark rum a couple weeks back that was very good.

Zulu9er
12-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Nows Arn, you and yer little buddy Elmo need to starts up one of dose video blog thingers and become Canada's 'Perez Hilton'. You'd be rich in no time flat. In fact, I think yer a national treasure on a scale as epic as Rita MacNeil's girth. Go fer it b'ye! :D

Damn you,,,, I bust a rib laughing so hard,,,,, lmao

BGSH
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Dom p is where it is at, i love mojitos as well as anything else that gets you wasted.

Shawn

Apocalypse_now
12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Good ol' Captain Mo spiced
Captain Private stock -EXELENT RUM
Sailor Jerry- Also exelent, strong and to be consumed responsibly...bad things happen
Bacardi Oakhart, Verry good. I've never been a big bacardi fan but oakhart is good stuff
Lambs Navy 151 Dark, For firewater its pretty good.
I've tryed the Kracken and wasn't impressed. To pricy for what you get.

It's hard to beat a nice hot toddy mixed with some Lambs Palm Breeze after a long day sitting in the blind either.

fish farmer
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Bacardi Cyclone

Hands down the best rum EVER made, its a damn shame they quit making it, I'd love to get my hands on a bottle if I could ever find it again.

fish farmer
12-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Havana Club Barrel Proof

I have a bottle of this to waiting for a special occasion, every once in a while I take it out and look at it and fondle it haha.

FrostyinHell
12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I tried Black Seal while in Bermuda and I'm hooked. Mix with some good, strong gingerbeer and you have a "Dark and Stormy". That'll cure what ails you! :cheers:

madras
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Old Sam or Lemon Hart. My tradition when drinkin Old Sam - open bottle, throw cap in fire.:sEm_oops2:

Don K
12-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Captain Morgan private stock

schimmel
12-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I really enjoy the Oakheart aswell. I've tried just about every spiced rum there is except Sailor Jerry's & so far the Oakheart is my favorite.

Also like Lamb's Palm Breeze, Lamb's Navy & Lemon Heart. There lots of other good rums just can't think of the names right now.

Islander421
12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
English Harbour with either water or coke.

lenardobc
12-01-2011, 06:24 PM
for throwdown lets get at it, its lambs navy, for all other occasions that call for rum......... days that end in y. its old port, the kraken, or anything thats on the top shelf.. i got a really nice bottle of 20 yr mocambo when we went to mexico last yr.. great stuff.... rum is good.:)

walleyechaser
12-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Kraken, Matusalem and Sailor Jerry are my favourites as of right now.

Haven't had the Captain in a long time, basically since Jerry came to Canada

Toirtis
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Kraken, Matusalem and Sailor Jerry are my favourites as of right now.

I agree, for the under $50/bottle selection. There are a few premium rums that I like better, but they are a special occasion thing, rather than a regular choice.

Guy on a Buffalo
12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Fine dining- appletons!

Out with the boys, capt morgan spiced =)

Hun-Ter
12-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I lived in the Dominican Rep. for few years so I gotta try few.
Brugal is very good either straight or mixed to Cuba Libre (run, coke, ice, squeeze of lime) or Santo Libre - the same as above, but Sprite instead of Coke.
My favorite Dominican rum is the Ron Barcelo Imperial. That's smooth as a good, old Cognac.
I have seen it in GP, in a liquor store almost right next to the WSS.

horsepower
12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
X2 for English Harbour.

Also Appletons, Morgan spiced, etc.. I tend to enjoy the dark Rums with flavour but there was one white rum with a dark rum taste but the name escapes me at the moment.

sinawalli
08-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Cruzan Black Strap= AWESOME!! Stroh's isn't bad, strong!! Picked up a bottle of Pusser's 15 yr old, but haven't cracked it yet. BTW Liquor King in Spruce Grove has a amazing selection of rum!They have a couple of kinds of Stroh's (80,54). Might have them talked into sponsering my liver transplant!

Wile E.
08-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Cockspur from Jamaica! The name says it all.:sHa_shakeshout:

joshcat
08-01-2012, 09:29 PM
If my dog titles up this weekend at the Calgary show I am crackin a 10 year old bottle of Screech open. Now that is good rum.

PAXMAC77
09-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Try Captain Morgans & Dr. Pepper.

If you get the chance bring a bottle of Captain Morgan Sliver Spiced ( only in USA ).
It is the smoothest spiced rum out there but its hard to go back to regular spiced.

omega50
09-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Stroh's 54- Austrian Spiced -good with bacon

fish gunner
09-29-2012, 11:25 PM
london dock, go real or drink rye. I dont often drink rum, (I have lawn ornaments issues) when I do I like the real mckoy.

mooseburger
09-30-2012, 05:10 AM
Way back before Louie Robichaud "banned it " in New Brunswick
****Demerara Rum**** was the drink of the day.

Kanonfodder
09-30-2012, 06:10 AM
For your edification both Lemon Hart and El Dorado runs are Demerara rums

pyke88
09-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Flor de Cana from Nicaragua. Nothing smoother.

a little redneck
09-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Zaya 12 yr old and for rum liquer Legendario.

Matt L.
09-30-2012, 10:50 AM
london dock, go real or drink rye. I dont often drink rum, (I have lawn ornaments issues) when I do I like the real mckoy.

I think I have an idea why you may have lawn ornament issues lol.

BEL
09-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Flor da cana from Nicaugra. Escuse the spelling. BEL

rem338win
09-30-2012, 05:55 PM
The only mix I ever use is black tea and honey when I am sick. Otherwise its Sailor Jerry or Lemonhart on the rocks.

Atex
09-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Zacapa 23 is my favorite bay far.

kritofr
09-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Flor de Cana from Nicaragua. Nothing smoother.

I agree, have had their 5yr, 7yr and just finished a bottle of their 12yr rum, really enjoy this rum

Appleton and Jerry Sailor are also highly recommended

dieselboy20
09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
What are you all drinking?

I was at my favourite liquor store here in GP and got to talking about Rum...

A few minutes later I was in the back room tasting about 9 or 10 different ones...

I was completely surprised by the Old Port which I have never purchased before...

It was surprisingly smooth... not bad on taste,,,but so smooth as silk...

I am still surprised

Palm Breeze, the only rum I can drink so far...

Saltmania
10-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't like rum in mixed drinks very much , but some aged rums I enjoy neat are
Havana Club Anejo 7+
Santiago de Cuba Anejo 11 & 12
Mount Gay Extra Old

AvayaAce
10-01-2012, 02:02 PM
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af289/bbastedo/untitled.jpgJamaican Medicine..........Wray and Nephew

ctf80
10-01-2012, 03:14 PM
If you want to indulge....Zaya 12 yr old bar none ( and I have tried hundreds ) best bang for 70 bucks... for mixing Matusalem or Flor de Cana

100% agree on all three rums! just went to florida and found the 12yr zaya for $25/bottle.

Kanonfodder
10-01-2012, 03:58 PM
100% agree on all three rums! just went to florida and found the 12yr zaya for $25/bottle.

A measure of another mans genius is how much he agrees with you. :sHa_shakeshout:

Wiz
10-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Top three Rums in this order

1. Eldorado 15 year
2. Mount Gay Extra Old
3. Eldorado 5 year (for casual Drinking)

RumRugby
10-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Rum Rum Rum, I like Rum, Rummy Rum Rum . . . ahem, pardon me, just a little rum song ;)

My favorite at the moment has to be Sailor Jerrys with green tea ginger ale, a bunch of mint (home grown naturally) and a little sugar on ice, goes down soo smooth.
The Captain, of course. The Kraken usually comes out at a certain level of intoxication where the phrase "RELEASE THE KRAKEN" becomes absolutely hilarious.
I'm also quite taken with Legendario Elixr de Cuba, straight on ice, very good. Tried a few others but those are my favorite at the moment. :)

Supermag
10-02-2012, 02:54 PM
A measure of another mans genius is how much he agrees with you. :sHa_shakeshout:

Costco Liquor in Sherwood Park has 40's of Zaya for $54!!!!

Wes_G
10-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I really want to try that Appleton 30 year, but at $98 for 750ml........ouch!

FishingMOM
10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g2TvjawNjyA/TKY1irr-H4I/AAAAAAAAAGE/bhWlGsUlnOE/s1600/Malibu-Coconut-lg.jpg
plus
http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/images/content/Hawaii_Magazine_POG_Off/PogHula1.jpg

:sHa_shakeshout:Makes for one happy mom!:sHa_shakeshout:

Badlands62
10-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Captain Morgan Private Stock on the rocks, or Lemon Hart And Coke
....:fighting0021:

Kanonfodder
10-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Costco Liquor in Sherwood Park has 40's of Zaya for $54!!!!

Dave YOU are my new bestest friend

Supermag
10-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Dave YOU are my new bestest friend

I bought a 26 in the US for $25. I was thrilled silly with it. Sooooo good. I was at first PO'd that you could buy it here, (I try to buy unique booze in the US) but got over it once I finished the first bottle! :sHa_shakeshout:

Colin_r6
10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Eldorado 15 year is my favorite rum, Zaya is a very close second! I only drink them neat.

Forty Creek whiskey and Tangle Ridge whiskey are my other favorite boozes!

Albertacoyotecaller
06-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Resurrecting an old post because it’s important!!!

Looking for two different rums I use to be able to buy locally. “One Barrel” and “CockSpur”. If anyone know of a store that carries either your help would be appreciated.

1899b
06-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Not much of a rum aficionado. Spiced rum is my go to when I have the urge.
I do know I wish the member that started this thread was still around here though...

MR.K
06-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Appletons 12 year old is pretty sweet neat

lilsundance
06-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Can't remember back that far if I posted on this. But I used to get Bacardi Oak Heart spiced rum. I am only finding it in the mickey size now, and every once in a while a 26. I used to take a 40 hunting for a week and bring back 1/2 of it. lol That would last me until New Years.

tugger
06-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Rum Nation and Ron Zacapa are a few good ones

Okotok
06-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Captain Morgan's Private Stock is pretty good sipping rum.

RandyBoBandy
06-08-2019, 07:22 PM
I'm a 99 % JD sipper on the rocks with a splash of Perrier. BUT a customer gave me a bottle of BUMBU rum...Un-freeking-believable that is... couple oz's over a bunch of ice..that is pure gold over the palate :sHa_shakeshout:

baxter
06-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Try BUMBU Rum on ice straight up you will not be disappointed

Ken H
06-08-2019, 08:41 PM
Our households favours captain Morgan private stock and Bumbo rum

Spidey
06-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Not much of a rum aficionado. Spiced rum is my go to when I have the urge.
I do know I wish the member that started this thread was still around here though...

Agreed, he was a good bloke!

pikergolf
06-08-2019, 09:37 PM
A really good mix for rum, Mango Kefir, in the dairy section at co op.

https://www.liberte.ca/en/products/non-effervescent-mango-kefir

FCLightning
06-08-2019, 10:07 PM
I really want to try that Appleton 30 year, but at $98 for 750ml........ouch!

And there's the difference between a Rum drinker and a Scotch drinker. :sHa_shakeshout:

Twisted Canuck
06-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Well I'm more a scotch drinker, but I do like a nice rum now and again. The Barcello extra anejo is by far my favorite, the Eldorado 12 and 15 also very nice.

bsmitty27
06-08-2019, 10:39 PM
Eldorado 12 is the basically the only rum I buy. Usually drink it neat, I haven't tried the 15, I've been drinking the 12, for 10 years or so I'm kind of attached to it.

mooseknuckle
06-09-2019, 12:26 AM
Rum & Cigar night!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190609/8a8fe82836bdaf7082759bf9c6c62553.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Ice Fishing Maniac
06-09-2019, 12:29 AM
Try BUMBU Rum on ice straight up you will not be disappointed

I agree:sHa_shakeshout:

Been drinking this rum for 2years now just as mentioned ! First time was around the firepit at moose camp one night. A buddy brought it. A sip straight out of the bottle. Between 6 guys the bottle maybe made it around 3 times and it was gone!😳👍. Been hooked since. It’s my drink sitting around the campfire at the lake with my wife when our 2 boys crash in their bunks in the trailer. My wife will ask me to make her a vodka paralysirer or 2😎👍

Blackie82
06-09-2019, 07:28 AM
Use www.liquorconnect.com to find any rum (or other alcohol) sold in the province.

Favorite rums:

Brugal 1888- my perfect rum. Goes down smooth on its own but excellent in mixed drinks.

Plantation 5 year- pairs well with eggnog.

Merchant Shipping Co. White Rum- best budget option out there.

Greatwest
06-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Has anyone tried the Bumbu XO if so what is the difference between the regular Bumbu and the XO?

Indy
06-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Diplomatico - green bottle. Best rum for the price. Straight with ice.

Colin_r6
06-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Bumbu was almost hard to find there for a few months - everyone found out about it!
I've smashed a few bottles of it myself - I always take my flask to the golf course now and I love a few sippers with my pipe at the campfire.

Haven't found Bumbu XO yet, but i'll start looking!

El Dorado 15 and 21 are still my favorites

huntinstuff
06-09-2019, 11:52 AM
They sell aged scotch that isn’t as old as this thread......

Still a valid thread tho

jpohlic
06-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Ron Zacapa 23 is a fine sipping rum. Also really like Admiral Rodney extra old.

bat119
06-09-2019, 08:03 PM
GOLD MINER AGAVE RUM from Kingman AZ. is a fine tasting sipping rum I bring back a few bottles whenever I get down there.

https://www.desertdiamonddistillery.com/product/gold-miner-agave-rum/

bsmitty27
06-09-2019, 11:03 PM
Diplomatico - green bottle. Best rum for the price. Straight with ice.

I did have a good run of o few bottles of this and enjoyed them. Might have to get another couple to keep around.

harv3589
06-10-2019, 06:53 AM
I’ll take a good bottle of Dictador XO or even the 12 yr bottle over any others. Delicious sipping rum. Add a good Cuban cigar with it and that’s about perfect.

boone052
06-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Zaya for sure!!!!