Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 PM

Cool Med hat sportsman show

Once again, Med Hat fish and game put on another great sportsman show, with plenty of animals to drool over.The iron buck contest was busy as was the elk calling competition. the silent auction was well received.
any one else here attended?

Loking forward to the lethbrige show Sat feb 06
Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Banned

i thought the show was incredible. more than 1000 people attended and there was never a dull moment. from the iron buck archery contest to the national elk calling championship, there was something for everyone. even the kids had the free hunting game on the bigscreen. the trophies on display were awesome once again. notables were a 352 quebec labrador caribou, an 85 plus inch antelope, a 352 mountain caribou, a bighorn sheep that although not huge itself was a beautiful display of taxidermy, a 325 elk, a 181 moose at 59 inches wide, a 185 mule deer, a 22 11/16 grizzly from 60 years ago, a 172 dall sheep, and 9 whitetails netting over 150 including the winner at 157 plus. 2 other whitetails grossed over 180, but sometimes the B&C system is harsh on symmetry. all day there were deomonstrations on everything from arrow fletching to fly tying. in the guess the score competition where anyone could venture a guess as to the net typical score of a whitetail on display, the variation from high to low was wild. the buck grossed 151 7/8, and netted all the way down to 128 6/8. there were estimates as high as 172 net, all the way down to the winning entry of 119 2/8. the far and away most common guess was 146, but with his 25 inch spread i guess he looked bigger to most than he really was. turns out the winner missed by 9 and a half inches. the entire show was truly spectacular.....i cant wait for next year. medicine hats show is easily the most fun show of the year for me and it just gets better every year. im hoping cowboy al had his camera rolling and can post some pics.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Banned

Sounds like it was a real good show. Sorry I missed out this year, but will not miss the 2011 show.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 AM

I too agree that the Medicine Hat show was impressive. A good showing of booths compared to other years. A number of improvements. As far as the mule deer heads go, not quite the showing it used to be. I guess we can thank SRD and all of their mis-management in the area for that.I can remember when there used to be a number of muleys in the 190's and even the 200" plus range. Other than that , a good show with a great turn out for people.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Default pic

I didn't get many pics of the event here's one of the iron buck winners:

The gent on the left is last years Champ Colin Jackson , he finished 2nd this year. Beside him was Tony Radvak this years winner (from Pincher creek and ironically he took home some of his own $ as his company sponsored the event!) the gent on the right 3rd place winner Boyne Lewis. Both Colin and Boyne are local fellows and both past Presidents of the club. Colin was the highest finishing MHFGA member and he there by pocketed the $200 bounty as well. I'd say Mr Jackson is in the "zone" when it comes to this competition, heck if he keeps shooting like that he'll have his caribou hunt paid for by his winnings!
I entered the competition and shot my longbow I am happy to say that I actually hit the honey hole once (man did I pepper the edges with my 3 misses) but I was humbled by the longbow shooting by Mr Bert Frelink from Pincher Creek He put 3 shots in a row into the honey hole, then like me peppered the edges of the 6" hole.

If the sign in the picture goes against the no ad policy on the forum I apologize and understand if it's removed.

Last edited by Cowboy Al; 02-01-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-01-2010, 06:05 PM

One of the highlights of the event for me was being a judge in the elk calling competition. There was an 8 yr old lad entered (Jarret N) and he was so good that you couldn't tell who he was compared to the other 10 contestants. I can see an elk calling title or two in his future.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

you bet al...that kid was something. as far as trophies go....that 14 year old kids antelope scoring 83 plus with archery was pretty awesome too. i have heard of it before but never until then seen a legit 18 inch pronghorn. that prairie goat was incredible. hard to believe it wasnt the biggest one there. we gotta talk to TC...he had his camera working overtime and got shots of everything.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Glad to hear the show was a success I had to miss it due to work
but the wife said it was very good and nearly bought me a rifle when she was there but guess I will have to wait for the lethbridge gun show before I get one
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Yep, there was 3 or 4 beautiful antelope there. The young guys 18 incher was sure nice. ISOOTBAMBI, is correct. You always here guys talking big numbers for heighths of antelope bucks but in reality, anything over 16" is pretty rare and not too many actually make 16".
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Default elk calling

For those that were there... how did the format of the elk calling go?? did they ask for specific type calls, or was it just an open cow/bull call format.
any info would be great.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

anything you wanted to use was ok. one guy had a dryer hose (i think thats what it was). another guy had a primos hoochie mama. i think the only thing not allowed was electronic calls. it was actually a part of the wild elk federations national competition. it is not too late to qualify for the finals. they are having regional competitions still....med hat was one of five i believe. ill try to find a link to the rules for you.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Sounds like a great event. Hope I can head down next year to see it....you guys really have it together
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habman12 View Post
For those that were there... how did the format of the elk calling go?? did they ask for specific type calls, or was it just an open cow/bull call format.
any info would be great.
http://www.wildelkfederation.ca/
All the info you need should be there.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Lost Company

There was a booth set up there called JB or JD supplies. Does anyone remember what they were called? They sold me a yote call that works like I've never seen before. I need more of them.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrtech View Post
Once again, Med Hat fish and game put on another great sportsman show, with plenty of animals to drool over.The iron buck contest was busy as was the elk calling competition. the silent auction was well received.
any one else here attended?

Loking forward to the lethbrige show Sat feb 06
The fourth, you mean? Saturday is the fourth. At least on my calendar.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
The fourth, you mean? Saturday is the fourth. At least on my calendar.
That post was from 2010, which made Feb 6th the Saturday. But you are correct that this Saturday is Feb 4th.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM

It's all becoming much more clear now.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 AM

DSC01344.jpg

DSC01345.jpg

16 1/8" with a broomed tip. 2003 muzzleloader I think.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 PM

I think the booth you're looking for is called JB outdoors. Joel has a website. JBoutdoors.ca