Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Default Professional pointing dog training..

Wondering if anyone has had their dog pro trained?
Just looking for info on pointer training.
Just wondering roughly what you paid and what conditions are involved?
Length of stay, age of dog, results, etc.

I have a 3.5 month old GSP, He understands whoa training, is getting pretty bold while looking for pheasants, and is coming along nicely. Depending on where hes at in the summer I've been thinking of getting a pro to work with him. I'd like to hunt over him for the next 10-15 years so I really want to establish good habits right away.

Theres a guy local to me that from what I've read is pretty good, I've talked to him and he seems pretty easy going tailoring a program for me. Hes currently field trailing till spring so we didn`t get in depth on details. I`m mostly wondering how much should I expect out of a 6 month old pup, would it be worth it or is he too young?
I know from looking at it for retrievers some were minimum of 3 months and $1000 per, Just wondering what is reasonable for Pointer training and whats too much.

Also, hes just going to be a gundog. No field trails or competitions like that.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:48 PM

Default pro trainers

Your idea of having a Pro put some time on your dog is a good one.
I would wait till 14 to 16 mths before I started the Full Breaking process to be steady to wing and shot. That is not to say you can work on the basic yard work. If a trainer is close by that is good so you can monitor the process and learn as the dog developes. 2 to 3 months for Intial breaking seems to be a timeline the trainer I use has. Then a break and maybe another 2 months to polish for trials. As for Rates I only know what I pay and its not a 1000 per month.

If you have any question you can send me a pm.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Default dog trainers

I had my dog trained by a guy in Stony Plain and would highly recommend him. My dog was at his place for 6 weeks, for what he called the initial training and she works great. Obviously the longer you leave them the more he can do with them but its totally up to you on what you want. Paid $1200 for 6 weeks worth of work. Oh and he took her at 10 months of age. If you need more info send me a PM and I'd be happy to give you more info.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 PM

I'd wait til the pup is a year old before sending it off for training. The pup is way too you to take pressure and all the fun activities with birds you can do on your own. Put the pup on birds let it chase and make it fun!

Once you have a bird crazy dog then you can start with the manners. Otherwise it's like teaching a 3 year old to recite all the dead presidents in order- You end up with a mechanical performance that might look good at first but it is a house of cards without any passion or understanding. - you shouldn't expect much til they mature a bit. Most importantly keep it fun, too many dogs are ruined by rookies in a rush.

Trainers in the states are around 500-600 a month for summer camp. The best bang for your buck will be pro camp in the summer of 2013. I believe you should have one full hunting season with your dog before getting serious about manners.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM

I see you are in SW sask- a good place to have a bird dog. As a ball park at 6 months I'd expect a dog to start flash pointing from scent alone before charging in and flushing, but each dog has it's own timeline.

Don't expect a dog to hold point long that first year. If you don't let them flush you will get a dog that is unsure about what smells have birds and what don't. If you rush and are harsh expect lots of false points for fear of making a mistake. If you let them sort it on their own they will teach themselves.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 PM

thanks for the replys,
I'm not rushing him for sure, just want to start good habits for efficient hunting.
I've had him on wild birds since I've got him, its tough to get him birds as they spook too early, the cover is too thick or we just can't find them, but we do end up running in to 10 or so a week. I think thats better than using pigeons or wings and what not because its closer to real hunting, but it would be nice to have my own land with planted birds. More birds on the prairie would be nice to has most we've found has been such heavy brush.

Hes pointed a couple and held, that I've spotted and got him on the trail first. Not sure if hold is from him being nervous or not but it was pretty neat. Since then hes been an animal out there, getting birdy and nose to the ground flowing trails.
I want to make sure we don't have too many bad habits if I hunt over him for a year that will be difficult to break later on. From what I've read in articles they have you let them chase and build enthusiasm until their point develops then onto yard work and don't let them chase birds anymore.

Alot of it I'm sure is training me as well lol. Definitely have to see where he is in the summer and how I'm doing with him. I think I'll have a better idea of what to expect from him.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Also, hes just going to be a gundog. No field trails or competitions like that.[/QUOTE]

That's what I said too in 1983. Now I have 5 horses 8 dogs, collars, traps, pigeons and no money!

Good trainers are well worth the money. You should expect to pay 4-600 a month. RMJ has the timeline right too. WE have both used the same trainer for many years with great success.

It is a great advantage to be close to the trainer so you can be there and work with the dog. You need to be actively involved.

I would say that work your doing on wild birds will pay off down the road. If you can find ten a week your doing better than most of us. Just getting that young guy out there is half the battle.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 PM

haha, I can see that happening with the field trails.
the trainer I'm hoping to use said I could come out whenever I like to work with them and and my pup so I think that would be really helpful.
The dog is actually really doing well, the only birds around are in super thick cover so I was a little worried he would be as apprehensive about working through it as prairie would be alot easier, but he is doing really well. I'm getting excited now that he is getting birdy and is interested in something other than deer turds.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:03 PM

The very best thing you can do is take the pup out EVERY chance you get especially where there are likely to be huns. As spring approaches the huns will be pairing off. It is an ideal situation for a young pup because instead of one contact with a covey of 12 you get six contacts with pairs. Just don't tell him
"whoa" when he starts pointing birds. You don't want to give him conflicting messages. Don't worry about him busting birds and chasing, you are building prey drive right now. Holding point untill you get there to flush will come next hunting season when he starts putting it altogether.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 PM

Sounds like he is coming along just fine Justin.... I am going to send the pup I kept out of that litter down to a kennel in Wisconsen for a few month... You might want to check out a video that George Hiccocks has got out.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Sounds like he is coming along just fine Justin.... I am going to send the pup I kept out of that litter down to a kennel in Wisconsen for a few month... You might want to check out a video that George Hiccocks has got out.
Hey I've got your stuff still, we need to meet up sometime. It was alot of fun having a puppy for a day!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 PM

Smile You and the dog

If the trainer lives close by and you can both go for a week that would be great. Depending on how much work he gets he'll hold a point just fine at 1 year.

The hardest part of dog training is training the owner. You sound like a fellow who would get a lot out of a week with a pro then you and the dog can work on what you have learned and maybe go back next year.