Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Yeah, it would be my first and only rifle for a while. I would also probably buy a .22 at some point, if not before this one. I don't hand load, and if I were to buy ammo, I would buy several boxes at a time for the sake of consistency. If I were to buy two boxes, then a couple months down the road buy more of the same ammo, there may be subtle differences between the two boxes that may influence shot placement (something I learned through airgun shooting).

Here's something interesting. This is a chart comparing a .308 150gr Ballistic Silvertip and a 7mm-08 140gr Ballistic Silvertip. The .308 hits almost an inch higher than the 7m08, and drifts half an inch more at 500 yards probably due to the slightly lower BC. That is almost negligible. Time to target is exactly the same, but the .308 hits with about 6% more energy.

If availability is that big of an issue, then maybe .308 is a better choice. One person even said, "if you handload, 7m08, if not, .308."

I have lots of time to decide, and all of this information is getting pooled together so I can make an informed decision. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM

If you compared a 140 grain 30 and a 140 graind 7, the differences would be even less !
6% is nothing to worry about, neither is the amount of drift at 500.
It all comes down to what YOU want to shoot, not which one is a better huntig round....
Cat
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBarlow View Post
I would get a BDC or mil-dot scope. I'm more interested in performance.

Ammo price isn't a huge issue either. If it's used for hunting, how much ammo would one be going through? 5-10 shots to get it dialed, then one or two shots for every animal. That's what I'm thinking. I don't handload and the rifle I'm looking without a scope at is about $800 after it's all said and done.

If I want to shoot targets, I'll get a .22 or something.

Also, the current numbers in favor of each are:

7m08 - 8
.308 - 4

Almost 2 to 1 for the 7m08.
It's going to take several HUNDRED rounds to get proficient with a mildot or BDC and to get you shooting consistently at a distance where you might see a slight advantage with the 7mm... The .308 will probably save you hundreds in ammo.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I would get a BDC or mil-dot scope. I'm more interested in performance.

Ammo price isn't a huge issue either. If it's used for hunting, how much ammo would one be going through? 5-10 shots to get it dialed, then one or two shots for every animal. That's what I'm thinking. I don't handload and the rifle I'm looking without a scope at is about $800 after it's all said and done.

If I want to shoot targets, I'll get a .22 or something.

Also, the current numbers in favor of each are:

7m08 - 8
.308 - 4

Almost 2 to 1 for the 7m08.
How about the shots that it will take to verify the hashmarks for the BDC, at each distance or the practice that it will take to learn to shoot in the wind? If you really are interested in "performance" as you posted, expect to shoot a great deal more than a box of ammunition per year.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How about the shots that it will take to verify the hashmarks for the BDC, at each distance or the practice that it will take to learn to shoot in the wind? If you really are interested in "performance" as you posted, expect to shoot a great deal more than a box of ammunition per year.
WHAT?? you have to practice?

I thought you could go out and buy a "shooting system" with a top quality scope, slap it on the gun and shoot out to 1000 yards??

This practice stuff sounds like WAAAY too much work

After I bought my "shooting system" I could only afford one box of ammo....I want my money back!

.....does this sound crazy....well it should! BUT there are people out there who think like this and watch too much TV

LC
Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Oh Lefty, how many times do I need to tell you....stop clouding the issue with facts? Just go with the propoganda, join the cult, whatever it takes, but don't disturb us with your calm reasoned thinking. Jesus.......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I thought you could go out and buy a "shooting system" with a top quality scope, slap it on the gun and shoot out to 1000 yards??
That seems to be a common belief these days. I wonder where people get such ideas. Perhaps it's something that they saw on television.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Both cartridges are great. If you decide on the 7mm-08, I have a great starter package that's virtually brand new for sale. Email or phone if it's what you're looking for. I'm flexible on the extras/ammo...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=155970

Best,
Chris
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
WHAT?? you have to practice?

This practice stuff sounds like WAAAY too much work

After I bought my "shooting system" I could only afford one box of ammo....I want my money back!

.....does this sound crazy....well it should! BUT there are people out there who think like this and watch too much TV

LC
That's only with a 300. Win mag that shoots to 1000 yards, no other guns can do that.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstar View Post
That's only with a 300. Win mag that shoots to 1000 yards, no other guns can do that.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM

Your splitting hairs between the 2 really.
Go with the 7-08 for the cool factor
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 PM

If I could have only one rifle, it would be chambered in .308 Win. 4000 plus rounds of accurate barrel life encourages one to shoot a lot (and I like shooting a lot), and it's so easy to get very good accuracy out of one. And there's not much a 165 or 180 bonded or monometal can't kill if you can do your part.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That seems to be a common belief these days. I wonder where people get such ideas. Perhaps it's something that they saw on television.
Or read it in AO...
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 PM

30.06....sorry couldn't resist! of the 2 I'd go with the .308 but thats just me. Theres nothing wrong with either cartridge. You'll be able to take anything you want with either if you do your part. Good luck and let us know what you get.

oh and PS
DON"T forget your ammo at home before you go out on a hunt. lol
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
308 Win. 4000 plus rounds of accurate barrel life encourages one to shoot a lot (and I like shooting a lot),
Do you think this could be My next excuse to buy 4000 rounds of ammo?

A x mas present maybe...
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Do you think this could be My next excuse to buy 4000 rounds of ammo?

A x mas present maybe...
Absolutely You can always " Mexican Match" the cheap FMJ milsurp for your hunting needs too.
No one, No where, gets enough trigger time
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
And you shouldnt be keeping your rifle stored with ammo in the ammo sock.
Why?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM

First new rifle I bought, too many years ago was a .308, and it is the first one I consider using. I own several others, but usually have to convince myself that there is a valid reason for choosing something different. To be honest, I went .308 because that's what my Dad and most of his buddies all had. I don't think anyone has yet pointed out that the biggest difference between the two is that the .308 throws a heavier projectile than the .7mm (from factory loads.). Personally that would tilt the scales toward the .308 if I had to chose just one or the other for hunting.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
Why?
Ammo and Guns should be stored in seperate locked containers. Most people dont do it but it's whats recommended.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Ammo and Guns should be stored in seperate locked containers. Most people dont do it but it's whats recommended.

Don't know who is recommending it and personally don't care. The law is what matters to me and the RCMP website is quite clear on this.

Storing Firearms Safely

Unload and lock your firearms!

Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
Don't know who is recommending it and personally don't care. The law is what matters to me and the RCMP website is quite clear on this.

Storing Firearms Safely

Unload and lock your firearms!

Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.
Hmm that makes sense, guess I misread it a few years ago.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM

basically the same. only deciding factor would be cheaper ammo for the 308. otherwise,... its not gonna matter much.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM

I went through this same process last year and ended up getting a 7mm-08 and LOVE it. So far 3 shots and three deer, in the past two seasons. I find ammo easier to find for the 308 but that is only because I was looking for a very specific brand. When it was in stock I bought 5 boxes and am probably good for a long time.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:07 AM

What about bear? And if so, at what range?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 AM

I wouldn't hesitate using mine on a black bear at all. I'd stick to 300 yards and under but that has more to do with me and not the cartridge.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM

i went through this dillema about a year ago and went with the .308. both are good cartridges, and there are excellent bullets for both if you reload- i like sierra. i just also bought my wife a .308 in the rem 700 tactical, all it came in was .308. With the .308 being a popular round, there are several scopes that are specially made for this cartridge shooting the military equivelent 175 gr @ 2600fps. I would also look at the .260, it is getting more popular and less recoil than the 7-08, or .308. I would have considered the 260 for my wife's gun if it was available in the rem tactical
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 PM

Either one would do the job, and are both great calibers. I have 2 7mm-08 and just love them.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 PM

.308's a 1000yard gun, .300 win mag is a 1500yd gun. would never shoot at an animal at that distance, but thats what it can hit targets at.

Quote: