Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 PM

Default Opinion

New Wilderness pontoon boat or used Water Skeeter River Runner? Both asking 400... What would you do? My neighbor asked me for my opinion.

Last edited by jts1; 05-27-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Buy both and send one my way so I can join you on the water!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM

You cant use it in one of your swat weekends bud.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 PM

Nope but when those 3 weekends are out of the way I should have some time in between work and renos to get out with the bug sticks for a bit.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM

Its your turn to come up this way. I traveled last time.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 PM

I am heading to bullshead the first chance I get. May take the belly boat just in case the weed line has hit the surface.

My traveling up your way wouldn't be until July at the earliest.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM

Do you want the pontoon boat for stillwater or rivers?

I have a River Runner and don't like it for stillwater fishing as there is too much rocker built into the pontoons so it is very difficult to row in a straight line.

If you fish mostly stillwater get a boat with flatter pontoons if you will be rowing a lot.

If you are just kicking around with flippers or using a trolling motor it tracks straighter and I rarely rowed when I took it out preferring the flippers.

I fish from a kayak now and rarely use the pontoon boat.

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM

He would mostly do still water. More concerned with the quality of the Wilderness pontoon. It is a Costco make I believe "Wilderness 13". Have heard a few issues with things breaking on them. I would suggest a Colorado XT to him if I could find one. The Skeeter will be better made I am sure but may not be the best for still water as you said but it will still get the job done. I am sure he is going to outfit trolling motor, fish finder etc etc.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 PM

I have a water skeeter river runner and have only used it on still water.
Nothing to compare it to but I never thought it to be hard rowing. Could row/flipper all day with it and go miles.
The water skeeter is more versatile and he would have the option to do a river run with it.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkind View Post
Do you want the pontoon boat for stillwater or rivers?

I have a River Runner and don't like it for stillwater fishing as there is too much rocker built into the pontoons so it is very difficult to row in a straight line.

If you fish mostly stillwater get a boat with flatter pontoons if you will be rowing a lot.

If you are just kicking around with flippers or using a trolling motor it tracks straighter and I rarely rowed when I took it out preferring the flippers.

I fish from a kayak now and rarely use the pontoon boat.
I also fish from a sot kayak (sold pontoon due to lack of use) It's nice to have the simplicity of a kayak paddle compared to electric motor. Also exercise is good too. I passed a buddy in his pontoon with 40lbs thrust motor on high speed while paddling my kayak......something to consider. I fish mostly stillwater in the yak. My two bits worth.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:18 AM

I had a Water Skeeter river runner 4, was a very comfy boat. I had a problem with the bladders, couldn't get a replacement from them, they were out of them.
Patched it a few times, they ended up getting brittle. Pumping it up was a pain compared to my Fishcat, and I found it heavy to handle. Big pontoons got you up out of the water nicely, but caught wind real hard. Always found a need to use a drift sock when anything much of a wind came up.
Next thing I knew, they were out of business. I still have the oars and the seat and the accessories for it. I never bothered trying to see if Outcast could supply a bladder that would work in it. It was simpler to just go get another boat, as that would have been 3-400.00 to replace those bladders anyway, from various places.
You'd be better off spending 5-600 for a Fishcat, Outcast has good bladders, a good repair program if needed, and they will be around for the forseeable future.
All in all I find the Fishcat to be a better boat all around.