Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-01-2005, 08:37 PM
siezed gun

Default siezed guns

I know a guy who hasn't registered his guns, and he won't, He was stopped earlyer this year by fish and game plus RCMP and didn't have his guns checked has any body heard of hunting guns being seized or charged.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:39 PM
straitshooter

:rolleyes i have not heard,but was stopped 3 times,by f/w never asked the question about my guns or my sons.have f/w officer married to a relative,said only time they or rcmp would check , only if there was a complaint of some sort.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:40 PM
osterb

Guns being siezed has to do with the time/area/location/LEO.

If you have unregistered guns locked up in your house you're more likely not be be found out. The government has no knowledge of you owning guns thus they have no reason to set up an appointment for inspection.

Many people have been stopped and even if guns are in plain sight the officer might not ask a single question. Vise versa he could ask for you to produce your papers. This then all ties into where you are and what you have done. If you've been pulled over for a routine traffic stop they must attain grounds in which they are aloud to search you. If they have "reasonable grounds" (suspicious, neglecting to answer) they have every right to search you car but you'd have to let the courts decide what "reasonable grounds" they had.

Some LEO's will turn a blind eye to it and then you might get your Officer Thompson, commanding elite officer who will exploit you for all your worth.

There indeed has been siezed guns in the past. There have been home invasions and the whole nine yards. If you look up BRUCE MONTAGUE you will know he has been fighting BillC-68 quite profusely and he had his home invaded earlier this year with a number of guns siezed. Needless to say this was his plan and he wanted this to happen.

There was actually a story of a logger out west (where you folks live!) who claimed this story.

Being a logger he was given a carry permit for a .45 cal hundgun (I think it was). The RCMP came by one day asking about why he had a conceiled weapon. he produced his papers and they left. A few days later they came back, seized his legally possesed guns and had a few of them destroyed. The guns being seized was warranted by improper storage I do believe but the law enforcement agency destroyed a couple of his guns.

Written within the law they were not aloud to do that. In order for them to have a gun destroyed they must first contact the owner and make him aware of this. Instead when he went to retrieve them they told him the guns had been destroyed and upon asking where the paperwork for destroying them was they failed to produce.

I believe if you are caught in the woods by a ranger with an unregistered gun 9/10 you will be @#%$ out of luck.

the only way guns would be seized from you household is if there was a complaint or they are warranted to search.

If you have a clean nose there's no reason anyone should be able to search your house.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:26 PM
firearmssafety

A friend of mine had his 3006 seized in BC by the RCMP they made him get a safety course and licence and gave the gun back
Old 02-08-2005, 05:17 PM
osterb

Default well

Well that was a happy ending! I'm suprised they didn't just destroy his guns and charge him.

I guess there's a bright side to things sometimes
Old 04-05-2005, 08:39 PM
cobra64

Default Re: well

depends on the officers really, and the situation. if you 'get caught' with a P17 30-06 or something like that, probably not a big deal, but if you have something that 'looks' dangerous like a ruger mini-14, or even a 10/22 with a synthetic stock and bi-pod, could be difficult times. heaven help you if for some reason you have an H&K - 91 or similar.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Seized Fir

Default Seized Firearms

Just to answer a few questions. The police hate to seize firearms for various reasons. First off the police CAN NOT destroy a firearm with out a destruction order, this is obtained through a crown prosecutor and given by a Justice. That route takes months at the earliest, and is used most times for firearms used in crime, or a criminal investigation. The police will seize firearms they come across that are not registered, etc. but as mentioned earlier many turn a blind eye. What happens is a police officer may seize an unregistered firearm, give the owner 2-3 months to obtain the proper documentation, and warn the owner that the firearm will be destroyed after that time. 70% of the time the owner does not go fourth and get the proper documents, and at the end of the time limit is given more time or is told the firearm will be destroyed. The police officer at the end of the time limit, then goes out and requests a destruction order from a Crown prosecutor, and 7-12 months or later the Destruction order is granted. No police officer wants an exhibit file kicking around for this long.

As far as Charges resulting from unregistered firearms, at this time no crown will proceed. (They wont touch it) No one wants his or her name related to "case law".

Unsafe storage, and other related charges are laid every day by Fish and Wildlife, and the police.

As with everything common sence is the key.

Later, Styled.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:51 PM
timberj

Default Re: Seized Firearms

nice to see someone with obvious insider info coming forward with accurate stuff... As an ex-firearms officer,,,ex being the key word there (I'm not current with new legislation),,, it always bothers me to see someone ramble about something that happend to someone else's neighbors best friends brother... Good post Styled...
Old 04-11-2005, 09:46 PM
osterb

I've heard a few horror stories my friend...

Old 04-11-2005, 10:56 PM
timberj

no offence intended Osterb.... we all have heard them...but to repeat is giving creedence to the innacurate..
Old 04-12-2005, 10:02 AM
osterb

Default ahhh

I whole heartedly agree. There's two sides to every story.