Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM

Default Coal

Anyone know where a guy can buy coal for the stove in smaller amounts around Edmonton? I tried the guy out at Genesee but they only sell in bulk bags (2200lb) I want a 50lb bag or a couple of 5 gallon pails of the stuff just to supplement the wood supply for my garage .
Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM

Dodds coal mine straight south of Ryley off Hwy 14 East of Edmonton. Cost is about $45.00 for a ton. Basically a 3/4 ton pick up truck load. They have several different sizes to choose from. I use lump coal in my shop stove. Works great and its good quality coal.
Give them a call Im sure they could accommodate you.

Last edited by Slash8; 01-03-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Does coal work good in a wood burning stove?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Not really unless its set up to burn coal. You need a good draft from the bottom up. You could throw a lump or two in a wood stove but I don't think you get that great of heat output from it. And it causes more of a creosote build up in the pipe.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

Cool

Tie a garbage over the nearest diesl exhaust, after they pull away from a light you've got a bag o coal.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 PM

My neibour was burning coal in his garage in his wood burner. He ended up putting embers into his rv roof and melting it . I guess he had to run his air vent in his stove wide open to get it to burn. His neibour has burn marks in his siding as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 PM

I copied this from another forum. Have not checked into it yet. Send me an PM if you check into it before me:

Coal can also be bought through Home Hardware. This is a little known fact and you have to pay a premium to have it delivered to your local Home Hardware, but it is available. This coal is from Kuntz Manufacturing so is high quality. The person you have to get your local Home Hardware people to call at head office is Len Dykesterhause (spelling may be a little different) and he can arrange it.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:35 PM

I realize it is not a perfect solution and I don't intend to use it as a sole fuel. I just want to add a few lumps to keep the chill off and basically keep an ember bed in the stove when I am not using the garage . I am going through wood this year and don't have as much on hand as I usually do. My stove is not a conventional stove either .I built it from a length of 20" pipe . not air tight but pretty good draft control for what it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stony Plain-20120401-00084.jpg (53.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM

Smile I think it will work

Put sand in the bottom of the stove and put your bed of coal on the sand. Try a little bit first to see how hot it is and what kind of clinkers are produced. The vendor will have a lot of valuable info.

Coal is a great source of heat, burns for days, and in Alberta very cheap.