Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Default GUYS I have had it! I wanna fly fishin, help please!

I know there 2 or 5 people on here that have done a trip somewhere toasty warm wheres theres rum and coke and bonefish and permit, Can someone please lead me the right direction with all I have read I am now kinda confused because I heard some walk and wading is banned and some guides don't know crap and some rip you off, What kind of money do I bring or how do I use there money? Whos the best guide? That kinda stuff id like to stay in minimum 3-4 star if I can 1 day fishing one day rum kinda thing, Please help? thanks in advance guys oh I have a 9ft 9wt and a bvk reel loaded and ready for bear!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 PM

Lots with more experience than me, but if you are heading down in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area of Mexico I found these guys very good. I'd use them again. Had a flats boat to myself with two guides. Could have waded if I wanted, but after motoring past a couple crocodiles.... LOL

You can stay a few days at the lodge or just do a single day trip where they pick you up from your hotel (early!!!!)

http://www.pescamaya.com/

Think these may have even been my guides. No, that's not me. Lots of bonefish, lady fish, jacks, barracuda. Gigantic lagoon that doesn't seem to be more than 3 feet deep anywhere.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:09 PM

You might also want to post onto the Fly Fishing Disccusion Page here.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101
Old 02-08-2014, 06:59 PM

anyone else?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:13 PM

I've been looking at going in April. South side of Cuba appears to be good, Cayo coco and area.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 PM

2 weeks and 2 days, hopefully I will have a trip report shortly after. I have a few good buddies in Oahu that are locals, hopefully they can hook me up.
I am taking a few spare rods and reels, hope to have some great video and pictures.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 PM

Default Keep doing what yer doing...

walleyeca;

If you want some assurance that (1) you're going somewhere where the fishing is good (2) you want to hire reputable guides, then I would be inclined - beyond asking in a forum - to contact one of the Calgary fly shops and ask for some info. I know for sure County Pleasures and Fish Tales Fly Shop host saltwater trips, they would have a lot of quality info on answering where and who with. I'm less sure about Bow River Troutfitters, Westwinds, or Iron Bow.

You should be able to get alot of info from the above, even without having to commit to going on a trip specifically with or through them. Though if you have the $, I know I would be all over that myself; would love to go on a hosted trip! (but I am definitely a saltwater newbie...)

I also saw these guys at the Calgary expo, they had a booth and I sat through a 1 hr seminar on fishing Chile and Argentina; their whole business is helping anglers book dream fishing vacations, so you should be able to get some info from them too:

http://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/
Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 AM

I recommend you talk with kissmyarmygeneral.

He has been down to Belize lots and can hook you up with a good guide and ifo etc

Cheers,