Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2014, 12:04 PM

Default Goldfish dumped by Coquitlam pet owners become invasive species

Goldfish dumped by Coquitlam pet owners become invasive species

City says goldfish just one of several invasive species breeding in local lakes where they were dumped

CBC News Posted: Aug 15, 2014 9:01 PM PT Last Updated: Aug 16, 2014 9:34 AM PT

Goldfish are breeding and proliferating in Como Lake leading the city to warn people against throwing them into local waterways. (CBC)

Related Stories

They're easy to take care of, inexpensive and entertaining, but goldfish and other aquatic pets including exotic fish, turtles, bass and carp are getting into local waterways and breeding and competing with native species.
In Coquitlam, so many goldfish are winding up in Como Lake that the city is cracking down with hefty fines ranging from $2,500 to $250,000.
David Scott, from Simon Fraser University's School of Resource and Environmental Management, said there's good cause for concern.
Dozens of goldfish dot the surface of the water in Como Lake while many more swim below. (CBC)

"If you have non-native species that become established in let's say the Fraser River, they would be competing and influencing dozens of local species that we have here including salmon which are economically important," he said.
In 2012, the infamous snakehead fish eluded conservation officers for weeks. Scott was one of the SFU researchers who studied it.
People may think they're freeing a captive pet by throwing it into a local pond, he said. But the act can have bigger implications than most people realize, Scott warned.
So what do you do, if you don't want your pet fish or turtle anymore? Many pet stores say they'll take them back.

With files from the CBC's Farah Merali

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 08-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Gone Hunting

HMM I wonder who introduced those green crabs into te ocean from the ocean. or the didymo that is found naturally in the waters where it is found.

Invasive species definitely need management, but trying to make the problem appear bigger than it is, only serves to discount the validity of the real problem.

Como lake is a puddle in a city. I'm surprised it is not full of Koi considering the demographics of the area.

Wouldn't take much to poison out the lake if that was needed.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand