Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM

If you think that burbots aren't scavengers dump guts from elk or dear into a lake. The next night all burbots from the whole lake will be there
Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar_rmk View Post
I know nothing about burbot but hey leave good hook on bottom with some rotten fish or meat on it and you will see what I mean. I caught hundreds of burbots that way when had a job in a very remote arctic region of Russian Federation. I didn't even use a fishing line just rope lol. I hate how that fish tastes though, but did that fishing for co-workers, they were making dumplings from them. If you put enough spices meat doesn't stink so badly.
Quote:
Also forgot to mention burbots were abandon in these lakes where natives were dumping all their remains from hunting and fishing. Btw I saw how native ppl do burbot fishing. In fall when ice is thin and transparent they walk on shallow areas looking for fish. Burbot moves very slow. If they see they hit the ice with a big wooden hummer. Burbot then rises they make whole with another hummer to get it.
Quote:
If you think that burbots aren't scavengers dump guts from elk or dear into a lake. The next night all burbots from the whole lake will be there

I am not saying you know nothing about burbot rmk, I think we can just agree to disagree. They are opportunistic like any predator fish, a pike or walleye will take advantage of discarded food as well but that does not mean that are bottom feeders... scavengers somewhat yes, like any predatory fish, but not suckers or bottom feeders at all. Is it possible we are not talking about the same fish? You mentioned you don't like the taste, we obviously have different ideas on what good fish tastes like, and I am sure most people would agree.
Burbot in my opinion is the best tasting freshwater fish we have in Canada, and the meat from the burbot around here certainly does not stink! everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect yours rmk...I am just slightly confused that's all
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....