Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you drink while you hunt?
Yes, I have a few drinks at lunch or throughout the day 43 10.78%
Yes, I drink while I am hunting 18 4.51%
No, I never drink while hunting and wait until the day is over 240 60.15%
No, I dont drink anyways 52 13.03%
I think consuming any alcohol while handling firearms is wrong 113 28.32%
I think drinking while hunting is okay as long as its monitored 11 2.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Hey I looked it up! Drunk = Impaired. Same thing!

drunk   /drʌŋk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [druhngk] Show IPA
–adjective 1. being in a temporary state in which one's physical and mental faculties are impaired by an excess of alcoholic drink; intoxicated: The wine made him drunk.
Sigh.........hey, I looked it up too, and the dictionary defintion of the word impaired doesn't use the word drunk, so I guess they're not the same thing.

im⋅paired   /ɪmˈpɛərd/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [im-paird] Show IPA
–adjective 1. weakened, diminished, or damaged: impaired hearing; to rebuild an impaired bridge.
2. functioning poorly or inadequately: Consumption of alcohol results in an impaired driver.
3. deficient or incompetent (usually prec. by an adverb or noun): morally impaired; sports-impaired.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpike View Post
Is it ok for you to judge yourself when you say that you are "impaired" after two but for me to say I'm not. Where's the logic in that? Anyway, I don't really want to debate this any more. Next subject please!
Yes it is OK. The logic lies in the FACT that I can judge myself because I have actually sat down in a closed environment and done the testing. It had a control to it so you have something to compare this to. Like I said before, not drunk but impaired. There is a huge difference between the two and that is where the inherit risk lies. The testing was a shock to every single person in the room.
I for one would like to continue the debate as maybe it will open others eyes to the issue that they may well be impaired and not even realize it. It only takes 1 quick lapse in judgement to make a horrible mistake. Maybe even kill somebody. Nobody should be taking that risk. Nobody else in the woods should be put at risk because of the macho guy that can't wait for the end of the day to have a couple of drinks.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Just for the record, the most COMMON definition of impairment in relation to impaired driving offences is the following:

A deterioration of attention, comprehension and judgement and the loss of fine motor skills and control to an extent so as to make the operation of a vehicle unsafe.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearnDown View Post
Now fishin on the other hand......

I often bring a DD with me out Ice Fishin cuz I like to tip em on the ice.

I often bring 2 or 3 cans of beer with me Caddis fishin on the Bow at night.

I often bring a cooler fulla beers with me in the boat when I'm Pike fishin in the Spring.

No matter what, I never drive when I've had too much to drink or drink when theres guns around. I figure the worst I could do with a fishin rod is stick myself with a fly...and I can live with that........
I'll wade into this one too.

http://boating.ncf.ca/alcohol.html
Some interesting reading that is here. I will admit that not everything may apply to us here in Alberta but it might be worth looking into. I'm not judging you here. I am just giving you some info that may keep your butt out of trouble if this applies in Alberta. It says

Red Cross statistics: Boating and Alcohol

* 37% of boaters in Canada admit to consuming alcohol every time they boat.
* 66% report they drink alcohol sometimes when boating.
* Alcohol is a factor in over 40% of recreational boating fatalities.

The Red Cross claims that up to 200 Canadians will drown this year as a result of boating-related incidents, and 25% of those will have alcohol in their blood. Many other incidents involving even serious injuries are not reported.

In all provinces of Canada, operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol is illegal. In some provinces, no one on board can consume alcoholic beverages while the boat is being operated. In provinces like Ontario, you can't even transport alcohol unless the boat is classed as a "home" with sleeping accommodations and a head. There are differences between provinces, but all require alcohol on board to be packaged and out of reach.

Like I said just make sure you are OK to do so in Alberta. To each their own but I know that I wouldn't want to bet my life on saving myself if I was intoxicated while in the water.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:58 AM

I'm sick of this pc stuff!

I'm sick of all this I'm a better hunter than you bs.

I'm sick of this stupid poll! Okay I give up you elitist buggers win.. .yes you are the greatest thing since sliced bread...And Buwanna wasn't even worthy of standing in your shadow. Your rifles are prettier, shoot longer and straighter than anything us mere mortals could even dream of. Hell we are not even worthy of walking on the ground you god like creatures have deficated on. Your extra special!

We are engaged in an immoral harvest, we select the wrong animal, method, species , phase of the moon, etc. We carry the wrong caliber, we choose the wrong mode of transport, we don't brain tan the hide, we don't pickle the grouse feet, we don't stuff the shcit tubes with meat, we don't eat the bone marrow....WE ARE UN WORTHY....but we are better than indians! Indians don't hunt correctly and they don't need to hunt. Does that cover it?

Hope i didn't miss anything....just a general rant.

If no one drinks in the bush who is it that's leaving all the damn empties in the bush?

They are everwhere, fell from the sky I suspose. Maybe the airlines are

sprinkling them about, some sort of cost savings measure.

Anyhow...I use to drink when I hunted...put I kept spilling it on the crack

pipe and putting it out. We also got so drunk we would fall and break the

crack pipe. so we started using our rifles as crack pipes.

That worked pretty good...they one day we saw the moose of our dreams

and my buddies lips were wrapped around the end of my rifle. Some chemical

schit was smoldering in the reciever.That was the last straw I started

hunting by myself.

But I don't feel any safer. I've known for along time that most of the folks I

encounter in life are not all there. I own a solid waste company. We have

collect waste from thousands of road side garbage cans over the years. And

every one of them has a significant number of empty beer cans etc in them.

I share the road every day with lots of drunk drivers. It's a small wonder I

can make it to the sacred hunting grounds without some drunken peckerwood

killing me on the government road. Some guys live in a bubble! Yeah it's a

cleaner brighter better bubble but it's a still a bubble.

If you don't want to see your values challenged, paint your bubble black and

stay at home.

Last edited by uglyelk; 03-11-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post

I'm sick of this stupid poll! Okay I give up you elitist buggers win.. .yes you are the greatest thing since sliced bread...And Buwanna wasn't even worthy of standing in your shadow. Your rifles are prettier, shoot longer and straighter than anything us mere mortals could even dream of. Hell we are not even worthy of walking on the ground you god live creatures have deficated on. Your extra special!

We are engaged in an immoral harvest, we select the wrong animal, method, species , phase of the moon, etc. We carry the wrong caliber, we choose the wrong mode of transport, we don't brain tan the hide, we don't pickle the grouse feet, we don't stuff the shcit tubes with meat, we don't eat the bone marrow....WE ARE UN WORTHY....but we are better than indians! Indians don't hunt correctly and they don't need to hunt. Does that cover it?

If no one drinks in the bush who is it that's leaving all the damn empties in the bush?

hunting by myself.

stay at home.

Well said.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 AM

My dad has a beer at lunch OR after a kill and I will have a pop.

Or its just better to wait until the hunt is over and then have some, thats better. But I dont see anything wrong with having one at lunch or something like that.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post

I'm sick of this stupid poll! Okay I give up you elitist buggers win.. .yes you are the greatest thing since sliced bread...And Buwanna wasn't even worthy of standing in your shadow. Your rifles are prettier, shoot longer and straighter than anything us mere mortals could even dream of. Hell we are not even worthy of walking on the ground you god live creatures have deficated on. Your extra special!

hunting by myself.

stay at home.
Nice rant, I got about half way through it before I lost interest. OK, now read the quote below.
Quote:
To me guns and beer go together like spaghetti and meatballs.
I disagree with this statement and I think the poll results show that I'm in the majority. Using common sense ie. not mixing guns and alcohol, has nothing to do with being PC or elitist. Sorry, you're wrong.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=uglyelk;282121]I'm sick of this pc stuff!

x2 on this one. It seems that every time I go through threads, there are always the "holier than thou" idiots preaching what they believe, trying to belittle everyone who opposes their ideology. Gets tiring after a while. By the way dave, the reason why you are a majority in this poll is because the ones who do drink a beer or two while hunting are not taking part because they know they will just be bashed by "special " people like yourself.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer08 View Post

x2 on this one. It seems that every time I go through threads, there are always the "holier than thou" idiots preaching what they believe, trying to belittle everyone who opposes their ideology. Gets tiring after a while. By the way dave, the reason why you are a majority in this poll is because the ones who do drink a beer or two while hunting are not taking part because they know they will just be bashed by "special " people like yourself.
Sorry, I must be following the wrong thread because the only belittling and bashing I see on here is from the guys who think it's OK to drink and shoot guns, and then get their backs up when it's pointed out to them that they may be in the wrong. The only justifcation I see coming from the drinker/shooter side is "I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, and noone can tell me otherwise, right or wrong, legal or not". How can a reasonable, sensible person even try to debate with that kind of thinking? I'm done with this one.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 AM

See, this is your problem. No one is talking about getting hammered and hunting. I'm talking about possibly A beer at breakfast and maybe A beer at lunch. Then I have you telling me that I am impaired and not even hunting legally.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer08 View Post
A beer at breakfast and maybe A beer at lunch. Then I have you telling me that I am impaired and not even hunting legally.

You're not hunting legally if you had a beer at breakfast and a beer at lunch. Remember, no 0.08 on hunting.

Mmmmmmm, breakfast beer.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 AM

I've been checked numerous times by f&w while in camp at lunch when having a beer and not one time was I hassled.Why u ask because I was obviously not impaired. To get hassled about having a beer I have to come to this thread and deal with judgemental, holier than thou goofs like you constable dave. Guess for me to get caught all f'd up I got to wait to be caught by cowtown. Too bad I don't drink and drive. You'll have to catch me outside of a pub at lunch having a smoke so you can charge me after my 2 beer for being impaired in public! Can't believe guys like this have any authority at all. Thank god for lawyers! If you guys don't have the brain capacity to have two beer and then handle a firearm WTF are you doing with one to begin with?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I'll wade into this one too.

http://boating.ncf.ca/alcohol.html
Some interesting reading that is here. I will admit that not everything may apply to us here in Alberta but it might be worth looking into. I'm not judging you here. I am just giving you some info that may keep your butt out of trouble if this applies in Alberta. It says

Red Cross statistics: Boating and Alcohol

* 37% of boaters in Canada admit to consuming alcohol every time they boat.
* 66% report they drink alcohol sometimes when boating.
* Alcohol is a factor in over 40% of recreational boating fatalities.

The Red Cross claims that up to 200 Canadians will drown this year as a result of boating-related incidents, and 25% of those will have alcohol in their blood. Many other incidents involving even serious injuries are not reported.

In all provinces of Canada, operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol is illegal. In some provinces, no one on board can consume alcoholic beverages while the boat is being operated. In provinces like Ontario, you can't even transport alcohol unless the boat is classed as a "home" with sleeping accommodations and a head. There are differences between provinces, but all require alcohol on board to be packaged and out of reach.

Like I said just make sure you are OK to do so in Alberta. To each their own but I know that I wouldn't want to bet my life on saving myself if I was intoxicated while in the water.
If 37% of people admit to always drinking while they boat and 66% admit to drinking sometimes while they boat and only 40% of boating accidents involve achohol than looking at that statistic you could readily make the claim that thier is no statistical significance to alchohol and boating accidents (i.e. you are just as likely to get in a accident while not drinking as drinking).
Getting back to the main thread. I said yes I think it is fine to have a few drinks throughout the day. I actually can't drink at all personally because of a heart condition that I found out about a 2 years ago so I really have no personal agenda in this. Look, the reality is that as long as someone is drinking within a reasonable limit and are a responsible individual they are probably not a threat to you. Yes, they may be slightly "more impaired" then if they didn't have anything to drink but alchohol is not the only factor that impairs someone. They could be impaired because they didn't sleep enough the night before, they could be impaired because they are stressed out from work/personal life... there are hundreds of things that impair individuals every minute of everyday, should I not go hunting with someone if any of them are present? After all, they are not functioning at their optimal performance! (Of course I realize that it is a lot easier to not have a drink then allieviate some of these other stresses but impairment is impairment). The reality is that a Bailey's with coffee in the morning, or a couple beers with lunch doesn't make an average individual a deadly threat to us all. Back in the day (lol I'm 25), it would take me at least a couple of sixers before the beer goggles kicked in and that fat moose started to look like a cute deer! So to summarize, know your limits, stay within them, and it is all good!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Suspended User

Strange thought to those who drink while hunting. How about you go push some bush for me while I break my own rules about drinking with firearms? You go make some noise in the bush and hope that 2 or 3 drinks don't make me screw up. Is there a good age to introduce my son to shooting while drinking? Can I smoke some weed to steady my hands after I have a few drinks? How do you guys get to and from camp? Does your DD feel safe pushing bush with you? I grew up with alcoholics and was one for years. When I here someone saying that they can drink a few and not be impaired I realize that they actually have a drinking problem as well as a case of the denials. Go ahead and B**ch me out. I smartened up in life and think that if you have the ability to kill a fellow hunter with what you have in your hands, you better have all your wits about you. Denial is a drinkers best defense method, " I can drink and not be drunk." I seen enough drinking hunters in the bush where I grew up, slashed a few of their tires too. Ever watch a drunk change tires in the bush? Worth the price of admission for sure. Kept them there until the mounties made the 45 minute trip.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Hmmm, well, I guess I'm "holier than thou".

No alcohol with hunting. I can see a sip of scotch in the evening (I'm not a big beer fan) but not while the guns are out. I don't care what someone's blood alcohol level is or whether they think they aren't impaired (actually you don't need to be 0.08 or even 0.04 to be impaired).

Drinking and hunting is pretty much the worst image we as a community can project to the rest of the people out there. Crackin' a beer while waiting for a deer to walk by gives the antis fantastic material to work with (and I know alot of folks around here are very concerned about what the antis do). Frankly, it is exactly the sort of thing that kept me from starting hunting for so long.

And if I feel that I need to have a beer with breakfast I have a problem.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I've been checked numerous times by f&w while in camp at lunch when having a beer and not one time was I hassled.Why u ask because I was obviously not impaired. To get hassled about having a beer I have to come to this thread and deal with judgemental, holier than thou goofs like you constable dave. Guess for me to get caught all f'd up I got to wait to be caught by cowtown. Too bad I don't drink and drive. You'll have to catch me outside of a pub at lunch having a smoke so you can charge me after my 2 beer for being impaired in public! Can't believe guys like this have any authority at all. Thank god for lawyers! If you guys don't have the brain capacity to have two beer and then handle a firearm WTF are you doing with one to begin with?
You don't really understand what the argument is. I don't know if you are impaired or not after 2. I also don't give a crap. The problem is you don't know if you are impaired. When was the last time you asked a person who was obviously a little drunk if they were drunk? What is the answer 99% of the time? They will say "I'm not drunk." That is because the booze doesn't allow people to think in a normal rational manner.
It only takes one mistake and something serious can happen. Why risk it? That is the real question here.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Strange thought to those who drink while hunting. How about you go push some bush for me while I break my own rules about drinking with firearms? You go make some noise in the bush and hope that 2 or 3 drinks don't make me screw up. Is there a good age to introduce my son to shooting while drinking? Can I smoke some weed to steady my hands after I have a few drinks? How do you guys get to and from camp? Does your DD feel safe pushing bush with you? I grew up with alcoholics and was one for years. When I here someone saying that they can drink a few and not be impaired I realize that they actually have a drinking problem as well as a case of the denials. Go ahead and B**ch me out. I smartened up in life and think that if you have the ability to kill a fellow hunter with what you have in your hands, you better have all your wits about you. Denial is a drinkers best defense method, " I can drink and not be drunk." I seen enough drinking hunters in the bush where I grew up, slashed a few of their tires too. Ever watch a drunk change tires in the bush? Worth the price of admission for sure. Kept them there until the mounties made the 45 minute trip.

Dear Dave,
Congrats on beating alchoholism. I happen to know some people who have also accomplished the feat and it is a terrible addiction/struggle. Unfortunately you are ignoring one little fact... you can't use your own struggles with alchohol and assume that everyone reacts the same way you did. The way you reacted is why you were an alchoholic. The sad truth is that we all react differently to the substances we put in our bodies. Some bodies have the ability to break things down faster than others and certain substances seem to effect people in different ways. The reality is some people can have a couple of beers and while they may be impaired to some degree they certainly are not to the point where I would be afraid that they would mistake me for a deer. Once again this just goes to the "know your limits" reality. I'll be honest I would much rather push bush for an experienced hunter who had a few beers then a new hunter who doesn't have a clue what they are doing.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Em! View Post
If 37% of people admit to always drinking while they boat and 66% admit to drinking sometimes while they boat and only 40% of boating accidents involve achohol than looking at that statistic you could readily make the claim that thier is no statistical significance to alchohol and boating accidents (i.e. you are just as likely to get in a accident while not drinking as drinking).
Not 40% of the accidents but 40% of the fatalities.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 PM

i guess i fall into the holier than thou fraternity..even though i don't drink and have said i don't care if people drink back at camp...however i do think drinking while hunting is a no go.....but my question is this....not being a drinker....never have..i don't understand the logic of drinking the beer if you are not going to get any effect from the alcohol? isn't the purpose of drinking alcohol to feel the effects? and if you aren't feeling those effects from your two beers at noon or 3 or whatever....then why drink it? if it is for the taste..why not take along non alcoholic beer for lunch then...get the same taste and don't have to take the chance that today might be the day you body reacts differently to alcohol and you make a terrible mistake......again i am not trying to be judgemental...i really do not understand.....in my mind you drink alcohol because you like the effects acohol has or you like the taste of the product....so if it is for taste, why not go non alcoholic while in the field? or does the alcohol add that much "flavor" to your beer that is lacking so incredibly from non alcoholic choices?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Em! View Post
Dear Dave,
Congrats on beating alchoholism. I happen to know some people who have also accomplished the feat and it is a terrible addiction/struggle. Unfortunately you are ignoring one little fact... you can't use your own struggles with alchohol and assume that everyone reacts the same way you did. The way you reacted is why you were an alchoholic. The sad truth is that we all react differently to the substances we put in our bodies. Some bodies have the ability to break things down faster than others and certain substances seem to effect people in different ways. The reality is some people can have a couple of beers and while they may be impaired to some degree they certainly are not to the point where I would be afraid that they would mistake me for a deer. Once again this just goes to the "know your limits" reality. I'll be honest I would much rather push bush for an experienced hunter who had a few beers then a new hunter who doesn't have a clue what they are doing.
All studies show that everybody's liver processes alcohol at about the same rate with the biggest difference being the size of the liver. Individual tolerances come with the practice you have with drinking, if you have ate and many other reasons. This is the excuse so many drunk drivers use, isn't it? " I am used to drinking so a couple doesn't make me drunk." So the guy you go hunting with isn't "drunk" how about the other guy sitting on the ridge up the cutline? How many is he allowed to drink? Is it okay if he has a few? Gonna bet on his tolerances? Denial is great when you are drunk but can you live with the results of your decision the next day. What is the limit on how many drinks is okay if someone shoots at you? " Honestly man i only had two beers at lunch." Are you gonna say that it was okay if someone says that to you if they shoot your hunting buddy? Or are you gonna say that you didn't have enough hunting experience to be drinking while shooting? Hunt for a few more years before you start shooting while drinking!!? Wow. stuns me to think that years of experience hunting makes you a better impaired shooter.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:19 PM

well what ever your preference a cold bud or a cold pepsi for lunch. hunting is about time in the bush with friends and family. if anyone on this forum should happen by my camp, fell free to stop in for a cold what ever. the cooler is almost always full and the coffee will be on. kevin
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
well what ever your preference a cold bud or a cold pepsi for lunch. hunting is about time in the bush with friends and family. if anyone on this forum should happen by my camp, fell free to stop in for a cold what ever. the cooler is almost always full and the coffee will be on. kevin
AMEN!! Forward me the GPS coordinates, and I'm there.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You don't really understand what the argument is. I don't know if you are impaired or not after 2. I also don't give a crap. The problem is you don't know if you are impaired. When was the last time you asked a person who was obviously a little drunk if they were drunk? What is the answer 99% of the time? They will say "I'm not drunk." That is because the booze doesn't allow people to think in a normal rational manner.
It only takes one mistake and something serious can happen. Why risk it? That is the real question here.
I unsterstand what you are saying cowtown but I disagree that a couple of beer with a hearty meal will affect my thinking to the point where I now become a hazard to everyone around me. I also don't have a drink everytime I go hunting but it is my right to have a beer should I so desire one. I don't feel that I am "risking" anything at all.
As for Mr.Dave, I don't know you well enough to push anything for you! Would you push bush for anybody you haven't hunted with before? I know I wouldn't. Heres where you are throwing common sense out the window and crossing right into ethical hunting issues. I am sure that the "antis" would rather have me with two beer in my system shooting at poor little bambi then you pushing bush. How many animals have you wounded or put several shots into to put down or do they come out of the bush standing still. I am betting lots. Not a fan of pushing bush, more of a one shot one kill kind of guy. I guess its personal preference as is whether or not I want to have a couple of beer with lunch.I can't recall a single instance where I was impaired and wounded an animal(or person). Just lucky I guess.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 PM

elitism, political correctness.... .

On most issues we here on the board seem to break things down into two camps: those things which are illegal and those which are legal.

On illegal acts we have, for the most part, been pretty adamant that the law must be followed, even if you think it's wrong. We've had little respect for those who knowingly break the law.

For legal acts, the issue is more one of morals or ethics. Those are open to discussion for sure, but you have to at least listen to and respect the opinions or actions of someone who sees things differently.

I'd say this distinction has served us reasonably well so far. So lets look at the drinking issue that way.

Hunting while impaired - Illegal
Hunting after drinking but NOT impaired - Legal
(admittedly we have a problem with the term "impaired". When driving it's GENERALLY seen as .08 (though you COULD be convicted with a lower reading). It isn't defined at all in the regs or wildlife act.)

Having that drink at the bar at lunch - Legal
Having that drink out in the field on public land while hunting - Illegal unless at your campsite (temporary residence).

So if you admit to the legal stuff, we can have a polite and respectful conversation about it, but feel free to continue. If it's the illegal stuff, expect to get called on it.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
it is my right to have a beer should I so desire one. I don't feel that I am "risking" anything at all.

The same could be said about snapping a beer while on the highway then couldn't it? One beer dosn't affect anybody enough to impair them, so it must be ok then right?

Drinking while you're driving is no different than drinking while you're hunting. They're both against the law and they're both wrong. 1 sip, 2 sips, 1 can, 1 case, whatever. ITS ILLIEGAL.

And whoever mentioned that the antis will love this, yer absolutley right. We're not doin ourselves any favors here boys.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Well, this is certainly an interesting discusion, good pick. Sometimes, the pot NEEDS stirring, that leads to questions and self reflection. All in all, a good thing as one needs to know why his/her opinion is as such.

I don't drink much and certainly not while hunting. I really don't think that 1 or 2 would have any positive results. More than likely, it wouldn't cause a wreck in a vehicle(as that would be under legal .05), wouldn't lead to somebody getting accidentally shot or an accidental trophy Angus bull.

I personally would be alot more concerned about being stopped by a F&W or LE personnel and having any signs of comsuming alcohol. The likelihood of having an unpleasant inspection is certain, and the probablity of some sort of charges also very good. In short, it isn't needed and most likely will reduce your performance in the field. As well, the image of the shooting sports must be kept intact or we will lose the right to hunt and own firearms.

Also, IF that 1 or 2 turns into more and an accident were to happen, regardless of whether or not you were at fault, it would be a very difficult to avoid criminal charges of some sort. The inability to defend oneself in a court of law as the "guy who was hammered" is obvious.

I grew up in a border town across from a county in Minnesota that had a fatality most seasons. In that 9 day season, we would not go across the line into town to buy groceries or anything and that was our nearest center(30km). The nearest Canadian center was 110km away. The accidents were usually a result of guys bringing 3 flats of beer and a couple bottles of liquor to camp. There were obviously other problems, but the alcohol really caused the stupidest accidents.

Like the guy who drank all night, got up @ 6am, went out to his treestand and proceeded to climb on up and hunt for awhile with his safety off on a 7mm mag. After some time the effects of his drinking set in and he either: passed out and dropped his rifle or just dropped his rifle. The end result was a hunter being found laying below his treestand after bleeding to death from a 7mm round that entered from belowhim and exited his chest.

There was also a 22 year old woman that was shot thro both knees while driving down the road from a careless shot that kept going.

And the guy that shot at a bush that moved after seeing a large buck and killed his hunting partner.

This is the stuff that makes all of us look very dangerous to anybody in an area that is hunted and I realize that over the past few years safety training and a reduction in hunter numbers have really put a lid on these accidents. We still MUST avoid any incidents and if not drinking in the field will help then don't do it. It isn't really a question of if you can do it safely, 99% of everyone that drinks could have a couple and not have issues. Just don't do it for the 1% of the time that it could.

This is just my opinion, thanks.

JT.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
i guess i fall into the holier than thou fraternity..even though i don't drink and have said i don't care if people drink back at camp...however i do think drinking while hunting is a no go.....but my question is this....not being a drinker....never have..i don't understand the logic of drinking the beer if you are not going to get any effect from the alcohol? isn't the purpose of drinking alcohol to feel the effects? and if you aren't feeling those effects from your two beers at noon or 3 or whatever....then why drink it? if it is for the taste..why not take along non alcoholic beer for lunch then...get the same taste and don't have to take the chance that today might be the day you body reacts differently to alcohol and you make a terrible mistake......again i am not trying to be judgemental...i really do not understand.....in my mind you drink alcohol because you like the effects acohol has or you like the taste of the product....so if it is for taste, why not go non alcoholic while in the field? or does the alcohol add that much "flavor" to your beer that is lacking so incredibly from non alcoholic choices?

Read the whole thread and this post made rediculous amounts of sense. I would agree those are the only 2 reasons to drink. I am a non drinker but used to hunt with people who liked to have beers at lunch, and drink heavily after back at the cabin. I never really felt unsafe but like TheClash i always failed to see the point of lunch beers.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
All studies show that everybody's liver processes alcohol at about the same rate with the biggest difference being the size of the liver. Individual tolerances come with the practice you have with drinking, if you have ate and many other reasons. This is the excuse so many drunk drivers use, isn't it? " I am used to drinking so a couple doesn't make me drunk." So the guy you go hunting with isn't "drunk" how about the other guy sitting on the ridge up the cutline? How many is he allowed to drink? Is it okay if he has a few? Gonna bet on his tolerances? Denial is great when you are drunk but can you live with the results of your decision the next day. What is the limit on how many drinks is okay if someone shoots at you? " Honestly man i only had two beers at lunch." Are you gonna say that it was okay if someone says that to you if they shoot your hunting buddy? Or are you gonna say that you didn't have enough hunting experience to be drinking while shooting? Hunt for a few more years before you start shooting while drinking!!? Wow. stuns me to think that years of experience hunting makes you a better impaired shooter.
Dave,
You missed my point.. "know your limit and set it". So yes I will trust the guy who has had two beers if he honestly knows that he is within his limits (and I don't want to here the "how does he know" arguement because we are talking theareticals here). As for if he shoots my hunting buddy... what if he does it while sober? Should I be like, hey man don't worry.. you weren't drinking so it is cool. My point was that I believe it is a lot more likely that a new hunter who doesn't know what they are doing is going to shoot me then an experienced hunter who has had a few drinks within his limits. The real issue here is defining what we all mean by impaired. I would suggest a good marker for this would be the .08 that we use for drunk driving. That number is the point where in studies they can actually show some kind of statisical significance to the effects of alcohol. As for the processing of alcohol, you are correct we all process at pretty much the same rate (1 drink per hour), this is of course affected by the factors that you listed such as size, food intake, dehydration, etc. There are also genetic factors involved however as some people have a larger amount of the 2 enzymes in the liver that break down alcohol. Like I said.. none of us are perfectly the same. I think what some of you are missing is that none of us who are proponents of a drink at lunch are saying it is cool to get bombed! We are saying that with one or two beers at lunch you are probably not to impaired to hunt. And I am with the guy who has the full cooler of pop and beer, I am stocked up as well and anyone is welcome to either. Once again Dave, congrats on beating alcoholism. Just realize that we are not all affected the way you were by a drink.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Not 40% of the accidents but 40% of the fatalities.
That doesn't change the point. Think about it logically.. if 37% of people are always drinking.. and 65% of people admit to drinking sometimes.. than lets just say that at least 40% of people on boats are drinking (the 65% of sometimes raise the overall point percentage from 37% to 40% for arguement sake). Now you say 40% of fatalities are due to alchohol... well of course! 40% of people are drinking... that means that 60% of fatalities are caused by the 60% of people who are not drinking. There is no significance to these numbers at all.... you are just as likely to cause a fatality not drinking as drinking with these statistics.