Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 PM

Default This should **** alot of fishermen/campers off...

Went out to Obed lake today and this dude pulls in with an 18 wheeler. I look at the guy beside me and I say "what the hell is he doing here ". The guy beside me says "oh they've been drawing water out of here for days now ". I said well they can't do that because this is a provincial Park...anyway I went and had a chat with the driver and he was really nice and all and he was telling me that he was catching a lot of flak from being down there. But he told me he had a permit and everything and I believed him but I told him this still is not right it's a provincial Park you cannot draw water from a provincial Park. Anyway long story short I made a bunch of phone calls and I was able to get a hold of Alberta parks and they called the conservation officers and they came down and we're going to see the driver to take away his permit....what a joke I can't believe this stuff goes on this was issued by some other ministry not Parks....unreal....

I watched a couple of families that came in and saw the 18 wheeler and just turned around a disgust went elsewhere. Some people thought he was from a frocking crew but he was actually working on watering the roads for the people that were working on Highway 16. This had nothing to do with the driver or the company they were doing everything legal but ill legal at the same time…

Nothing like going out for a nice family day and then having to worry about your kid getting run over by an 18 wheeler how's backing up to the lake you're fishing in to draw water out of it...

Conservation officers showed up and couldn't believe the picture of the permit i had lol

Anyway, there were several others who yelled at this driver took pictures of hin etc telling him off n everything else... The guy was just doing his job but people you have to take the time and call these things in you can't always wait for the next guy to do it. This had been going on for days!

Anyway all taken care of now.

Last edited by M1GERAND-MAN; 08-28-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:43 PM
Banned

Better then out of some wetland. Sorry but it's true.

They suck MANY small ponds totally dry.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Better then out of some wetland. Sorry but it's true.

They suck MANY small ponds totally dry.
Either way it's illegal...that companies permit is pulled they won't be drawing water outta there... Like i said the conservation officers were in disbelief... Lol
Old 08-28-2015, 11:49 PM

Thanks for your first post. You spelled Garand wrong.

He has a TDL so you should mind your own business.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:50 PM

Now i heard that something was issued on the news saying no water to be drawn out of the upper Athabasca area because of low water levels...
This definately would fit into that area...
Old 08-28-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
Thanks for your first post. You spelled Garand wrong.

He has a TDL so you should mind your own business.
Thanks tips i did that for a reason...

Mind my own business?? Can u not figure this post out? HE HAD A PERMIT BUT SOMEONE SCREWED UP!!! IT'S IN A PROVINCIAL PARK!!!! Holy some peoples kids....
Old 08-28-2015, 11:55 PM

And please stay in the city where u belong...
Old 08-28-2015, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1GERAND-MAN View Post
Either way it's illegal...that companies permit is pulled they won't be drawing water outta there... Like i said the conservation officers were in disbelief... Lol
Well that is a good thing I'm glad it got resolved
Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 PM

The TDL is tied to the waterbody, not the park. Using a public boat launch seems like a good way to access the lake and would likely avoid the need for a an access TFA.

Now settle down.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 PM

You're pretty uppity for your first few posts
Old 08-29-2015, 12:02 AM

If you know about the law on that sort of thing, and how and who to pursue it with, great. I know, that I didn't know about that being an issue, and likely would have thought nothing of it. Good for you M1.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
If you know about the law on that sort of thing, and how and who to pursue it with, great. I know, that I didn't know about that being an issue, and likely would have thought nothing of it. Good for you M1.

I don't know All the laws either but i do know you can't do stuff like that in provincial parks... Lol

Even after he showed me the permit i knew that even if it is legal i will see to it and raise one hell of a stink and try to get it changed.

90% of the population are like sheep...and the gov will step all over people as much as they can. Sometimes u gotta fight back and do whats right, not what the book of law says.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
You're pretty uppity for your first few posts
Ha i thought i had posted befor guess not. I don't come on here alot but i'm more on here during hunting season. Didn't know i had to have 138 posts to be able to tell a story about what happened today...
Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 AM

What did AER say when you asked them?

Because to be honest, I doubt fish cops are the experts at AER regs and interpreting AER directives and licenses.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:11 AM

The permit says Obed Lake
If you know it's illegal of something about it may contacting the Governnent.
I doubt very much if it is however .
Just because it's a park doesn't automatically mean they can't issue a permit for water .
As far as the Athabasca drainage goes I'll bet it dies not include lakes just the river systems.
I may be wrong though
Cat
Old 08-29-2015, 07:16 AM

It's sad to see this. We drove south of grande cache a couple weeks ago and they were pumping water out of the rivers. I don't know why produced water won't work.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Banned

Thanks for posting this.

And for those of you who climb all over for someone who's actually concerned about habitat and environment, go get stuffed.

And yes I'm not being nice. What's the matter with you people?
Old 08-29-2015, 08:22 AM

So our new NDP government is giving out permits for water in parks?
Old 08-29-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
It's sad to see this. We drove south of grande cache a couple weeks ago and they were pumping water out of the rivers. I don't know why produced water won't work.
For watering roads, definitely not... unless you want to turn the ditches into something resembling the Sahara Desert. As for fracking, they just use too much to cover it off of produced water.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Banned

You know, if you were to send this to the Edmonton and Calgary newspapers this would be on the front page this week and AER and Parks would be forced to respond about what happened and how it will never happen again.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Thanks for posting this.

And for those of you who climb all over for someone who's actually concerned about habitat and environment, go get stuffed.

And yes I'm not being nice. What's the matter with you people?
Since AER is the responsible body, its perfectly acceptable to ask what their response was when he contacted them. And if he didn't, why he didn't contact the issuing body when they are the ones who should be involved.

It's also pretty scummy to abuse someone doing their job simply because you have a differing opinion on it. Yelling at the driver, giving him **** and taking his picture to try and get him in trouble isn't the right thing to do.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So the guy has a permit, wankers yell at him only one with common sense was the one who called it in. Legal permit to draw water just out of the wrong lake, not the poor guys fault just wants to go to work and earn a pay check.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-29-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post
For watering roads, definitely not... unless you want to turn the ditches into something resembling the Sahara Desert. As for fracking, they just use too much to cover it off of produced water.
Ok. Thinking of fracking. The oil companies had ideas of drilling water wells for frack water around here. I'm glad that they got shut down on this. I think water is going to be a valuable commodity. I'm not against fracking but I'd like them to use some other source other than fresh water.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So the guy has a permit, wankers yell at him only one with common sense was the one who called it in. Legal permit to draw water just out of the wrong lake, not the poor guys fault just wants to go to work and earn a pay check.
No doubt.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
You know, if you were to send this to the Edmonton and Calgary newspapers this would be on the front page this week and AER and Parks would be forced to respond about what happened and how it will never happen again.
Yeah right, exploit everything to the point that there will be hate mail and probably even threats made, this was a mistake, corrected once brought to the attention of the authorities. This probably was not the first time nor the last a mistake was made.
Just look at how people reacted to this at a low scale imagine if it was thrown all over the news with a twist to the story to make it more dramatic and shocking.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-29-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
The TDL is tied to the waterbody, not the park. Using a public boat launch seems like a good way to access the lake and would likely avoid the need for a an access TFA.

Now settle down.
You are correct.

The lake is not inside the provincial park boundary: the park boundary ends at the lake.

The question is whether or not the gravel company (a former client of mine, interestingly) should be accessing the lake from inside the park. I would say no, unless it is environmentally conscious to do so.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:33 AM

It is illegal for them to draw water from a park. That's why the permit was pulled, Esrd does not have a clue what they are doing. Have had this issue in this park before and as soon as they are reported the permits are pulled. The funny thing about this is there is a burrow pit just down the road that is out side the park where all the rigs get water. ESRD really needs a shake up.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1GERAND-MAN View Post
Ha i thought i had posted befor guess not. I don't come on here alot but i'm more on here during hunting season. Didn't know i had to have 138 posts to be able to tell a story about what happened today...
My observation had less to do with your rambling story than you telling someone to "stay in the city where [they] belong"
Old 08-29-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post
There are conventional oil fields around Swan Hills that produce massive amounts of produced water and will give it away for nothing. It can be chemically altered if required to be formation compatible. They just don't want to have to pay the trucking costs so they are using fresh water instead.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercreek View Post
There are conventional oil fields around Swan Hills that produce massive amounts of produced water and will give it away for nothing. It can be chemically altered if required to be formation compatible. They just don't want to have to pay the trucking costs so they are using fresh water instead.
Formation compatible? They don't use produced water for Fraccing because the frac chemicals are not compatable with the produced "salt" water. Nothing to do with trucking costs or being formation compatable.
There was a company researching fracing using sea water in California, govt jumped on the frac banned wagon, so no more fraccing.