Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Moose hunt opinion

Well I've waited 13 years for this moose draw. When I got it I decided I was going to be picky for a big guy till the last week( end is Nov30). First 2 weeks I passed up a few decent size Bulls, now I'm not seeing any real decent bulls. So I kinda made my mind up as I will take a bull tomorrow as long as it's not a little guy with mom( just the way I am). So here is what pretty much got me to this mindset. This will be my first moose, shot a lot of deer and elk. I've got my 10yr old daughter with me, last weekend we put about 12km on she carried her own pack and never bitched once. The memories this will create for us out weighs the size of bull. And I got a Mulie draw I'd like to hit hard for a week. I don't want to double guess my thoughts. What's your opinions? If ya got rude comments move on, and ya I know a smaller bull will taste better. Thanx if advance
Old 11-13-2015, 11:01 AM

I assume with a 13 year tag your hunting in the parklands or prairies for this moose....if you are going to take the next bull for its meat I'd try to shoot a moose in a spot with easy access or where the farmer will let you drive up to it with your vehicle to retrieve it,because I'll tell you what brother they are work once they are on the ground.....good luck.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:02 AM

If it were me I'd take the first legal bull you and your daughter come across, especially if it's in a spot that doesn't require a ton of work to get out. Just share the experience with your girl. Won't matter to her how big it is. Just have fun.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:05 AM

I always look for the smallest bull I can find, spikes or forks. You'll be much happier with the table fare. Although this year I was drawn for Camp Wainwright, this was also a 12-13 year wait for this tag. From past experience on the base I've seen a few moose that would push 60", so this year I'm looking for a wall hanger. Looks like I'll be canning my moose this year.
Good Luck
Team Anzac
Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 AM

One in the hand vs 50 in the bush rule!

Time's a tickin!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
If it were me I'd take the first legal bull you and your daughter come across, especially if it's in a spot that doesn't require a ton of work to get out. Just share the experience with your girl. Won't matter to her how big it is. Just have fun.
x 3356 !!!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Well I've waited 13 years for this moose draw. When I got it I decided I was going to be picky for a big guy till the last week( end is Nov30). First 2 weeks I passed up a few decent size Bulls, now I'm not seeing any real decent bulls. So I kinda made my mind up as I will take a bull tomorrow as long as it's not a little guy with mom( just the way I am). So here is what pretty much got me to this mindset. This will be my first moose, shot a lot of deer and elk. I've got my 10yr old daughter with me, last weekend we put about 12km on she carried her own pack and never bitched once. The memories this will create for us out weighs the size of bull. And I got a Mulie draw I'd like to hit hard for a week. I don't want to double guess my thoughts. What's your opinions? If ya got rude comments move on, and ya I know a smaller bull will taste better. Thanx if advance
I'm a young hunter but I have learnt from my own experience and other peoples, when you have a tag that you waited so long for, maybe it's not about the size of the bull or the rack, but the experience you have with your daughter, so I say shoot ethically what you see first and give your daughter that awesome experience and fill her belly with some yummy meat!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:24 PM

Good luck, I hope you have fun either way.
Yours will outweigh mine, ha.
I drew a calf tag in my area.

TBark
Old 11-13-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissB View Post
I'm a young hunter but I have learnt from my own experience and other peoples, when you have a tag that you waited so long for, maybe it's not about the size of the bull or the rack, but the experience you have with your daughter, so I say shoot ethically what you see first and give your daughter that awesome experience and fill her belly with some yummy meat!
Sounds like some pretty good advice coming from a young hunter...I like it!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-13-2015, 12:35 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissB View Post
wow you should post more often, very well said, follow MissB to a tee and you will enjoy the hunt that much more.

Thank you MissB for your comments.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-13-2015, 03:00 PM

Thanx for all comments and good luck to you all!! I'm in a area were there is lots of moose and always has been, that's why I've been picky till now. I've seen Bulls everyday out, and would never go past the last week passing Bulls up(got the last week off). Wise words for a young hunter is right!