Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-18-2009, 01:08 PM

Default Bears and temps?

Firstly, thanks to those on AO who have given some tips on bear hunting - much appreciated.

I was planning on making my second trip/attempt northwest of Edmonton later this week once the lease roads are drier after this snow.

I was just wondering, does temperature play a big role in bear activity now that spring is well under way? Do warmer days pay off and tend to be more successful than cooler ones? I am assuming that even with the late spring, most bears should be active?
(I was out on May 1st and only saw one, it was still very dry, no greenery).

Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM

I find the bears are much more active on the warmer days. Especially warm sunny days immediately after a rainy day.

For spot & stalk hunting, the more bears you can locate, the better your odds of getting within killing range of a good one. I definitely see way more bears on warm days. I think after coming out of hibernation, it takes some good warm days for them to finally gather their wits and get on with life. On cooler days, I imagine them being far less active, likely curling up in a ball and procrastinating. With the late green-up around here, there just isn't enough good food available for them to bother with on the crappy days.

I've also had good luck finding bear mid-day on the warm days, and this is my preferred time of day to hunt at this stage of the season.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM

The males are out first as most sows of breeding age wake up with cubs and stay near the den site longer to avoid boars.If they are feeding on a bait a snow squall won't deter them from visiting an established food source.All bears have a fecial plug they need to expell to get their plumbing working again, usually by first drinking copious amts. of H2O and clover/dandilions.If you've ever found one they are nasty.Dried riverbanks are natural bear hiways providing cover,water and greenery.During the last 15min of light they like to walk down lease roads and feed on pipelines.When shot they tend to drop and get up running usually making a 50 yard dash and crash.Without tracking snow try to keep a visual as long as possible before recovery............Harold
Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 PM

Thanks,
I should add, I will spot-and-stalk hunting, not baiting.

ABDUKNUT, thanks, my plan to go a day after the snow when it hits mid teens might work out then!

Cheers