Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 07:42 PM

I have a Browning 86 carbine in 45/70 and I recommend them highly
Old 11-09-2017, 08:15 PM

I have a JM marlin, Great bush gun.
Took this Buck with it in some thick stuff, less then 30 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chase with 2015 buck.jpg (68.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 11-10-2017, 07:51 AM

I really like the Leverevolution ammo in mine.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:13 AM

I have a SBL. Quality on the new ones is great. Tipped over a Bison no problem this fall. Carry it mostly for bear protection but its quickly becoming one of my favorites. Seems to do well with everlution ammo. I am able to clip a grouses head off with it. Order a safety delete from beartooth mercantile if using it for bear protection as the cross bolt safety is redundant and in a location on the slab sides that it can easily be accidentally engaged. Also get a brass shell follower and if you really want to do it up right order a bearproof extractor from wild west. Then load up the bolt and action with metal polish and get your pay your favorite child 5 bucks to cycle the action a thousand times while they watch TV.

Plus its as fun as 2 monkeys to shoot. My wife even likes shooting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfxV51bTYs4
Old 11-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I went through the .45-70 guide gun and Marlin .444 phase years ago. Problem was I always found myself in cutblocks or on a cutline when out in the bush where in all reality itís the last kinda firearm you would want in those circumstances. Go for it. Quench your thirst and see where it leads..
Yep I've got a 444 carry the 270 more often than not because of this

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 PM

DO it...you'll have no regrets.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:27 PM

I had a marlin 45-70 stainless lever action guide and it was an awesome fire stick! lots of punching power! you will not be disappointed!
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 PM

I think the cartridge is great but it depends on the gun, a lever, sure. I have a Billy Dixon Pedersoli and is about 4 feet long and heavy. Accurate like crazy but a bit long for the bush for me.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:48 AM

IMHO nothing beats a handy Savage 99c lever action in .308 or 7mm08. You have a nice carrying lever action rifle that still has a bit of stretch.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:44 PM

I have a Savage 99F, I didn't know they ever made a 7mm08. That would be a great 99. I have a 45-70 and 444 made in the 70's, both are great for a "bush gun".
Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
The Marlin is a good rifle but in 45-70, the action is too short for the longer/heavier bullets which (IMO) are what is best at close range if your using it for bear defense. For hunting of course, the lighter 250 to 300 grain bullets are fine. Chiappa's 1886 clone has a larger action and can cycle the heavy bullets just fine but it's heavier and more expensive to buy but it is available in a short barrel version.
If you never get out of thick bush then these are good choices for hunting rifles but your severely handicapped when you step out onto a cut line and see the bull of your dreams standing 350 yards away presenting the perfect shot..... for a scoped rifle!
Those 250 gr. are varmint bullets! Maybe I'm stretching it, but not by too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Some bullets such as the ones you mention are designed with the Marlin in mind and they have the cannelure placed further ahead so the bullet can be seated deep enough to shorten the overall length. The downside to a forward cannelure is decreased powder space in the case. The upside to this is the popular belief that bullet weight trumps velocity for close in bear defense.
I can tell you from experience that 350 grain Hot Cor and 405 grain Remington bullets to name a couple are too long to cycle in the Marlin if crimped into the cannelure and these are the bullets that you will most likely find in your local store rather than specialty cast 525 grain Piledriver bullets.
Never heard of anyone having a problem with those bullets. I'm acquainted with a fella that uses a 480 gr. Lyman bullet in his with no issues.

I have no problem cycling the 350 gr. Hot Cor, 375 gr. RN cast, 400 gr. FN cast, 350 gr. Hornady all loaded to max COAL or slightly over. And the 405 Remington in factory ammunition as well. Maybe, I didn't use the cannelure, as I have the factory crimper for a couple.

Science is not a work in fantasy or simple conjecture, rather due process, repeatable and provable by observation and known facts.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Iím thinking about getting a 45-70 for my close range gun moose bear hopefully bison one day thought on the cal would be great thinking no scope
Thanks Bob
Great cartridge, does it's work without excess blood shot meat, and muzzle blast. I would plan on shooting cast for it.

Science is not a work in fantasy or simple conjecture, rather due process, repeatable and provable by observation and known facts.