Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 08:05 AM

Default Suffield elk hunt

I was just wondering if your hunting partner has to fill out same paperwork to get on base?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Great posts! Sounds like a good hunt.
Have question - I'm assuming the zone is in a CWD area, do you have to submit the heads for testing or is CWD not an issue?
Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk09 View Post
Great posts! Sounds like a good hunt.
Have question - I'm assuming the zone is in a CWD area, do you have to submit the heads for testing or is CWD not an issue?

Suffield is in the CWD zone, and the herds regularly move off the base into infected areas. First couple of seasons head submission was mandatory at the front gate on the way out. Initial testing for this period was completely clear, so they relaxed the mandatory submission. Unfortunately they have since had at least one positive from the herd. Not sure what the rules are this year, maybe some successful hunters can chime in.

Assuming I am fortunate enough to harvest a cow in January, I will definitely be getting it tested before consuming any of the meat.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:54 AM

Great to hear some good stories. Thanks for those sharing.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Default Cwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Suffield is in the CWD zone, and the herds regularly move off the base into infected areas. First couple of seasons head submission was mandatory at the front gate on the way out. Initial testing for this period was completely clear, so they relaxed the mandatory submission. Unfortunately they have since had at least one positive from the herd. Not sure what the rules are this year, maybe some successful hunters can chime in.

Assuming I am fortunate enough to harvest a cow in January, I will definitely be getting it tested before consuming any of the meat.
CWD testing is not mandatory for the base. It is recommended however.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 PM

Anybody from the forum out there this week ??
Old 12-08-2017, 08:02 AM

Default No elk

Yes, I was out there all week. Yes I did get an elk BUT it was only in the NWA zone where the elk are. Did not see 1 elk in the general hunting area. In the NWA, it is walk in and out only . All the elk are about 1 1/2 miles in. So a long haul out. There was only 5 or 6 elk shot each day, so I would not recommend going.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Can't believe someone would recommend not going at all.

Put the tag in your pocket, go for a walk and look at the mulies and antelope.

Guarantee you have a better chance of seeing an elk at suffield then you do in your living room in december.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
I was just wondering if your hunting partner has to fill out same paperwork to get on base?
Yes, they have to sign a waiver.