Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 12:16 AM

Default Superformance factory 270 140gr SST

Ok so I have a question for fellow reloading members ??? Has anyone had any luck to duplicate the factory load safely ? If so recomodations and recipes would be appreciated , this for my wife,s gun . She was shooting at a bull elk at just over 525 yards totally relaxed off her bipod fired 3 shots and swore 2 where good . We went checked for blood hair any indication of a hit . Didn’t find a thing ! We spent the next 3 hrs searching the meadow and poplar stand down to the watering hole without finding him or any sign of a hit . I thought she clean missed and better luck next time . But the following Saturday she dropped her 5x5 WT buck at 582 yards 1 shot after running 75 yards setting up in a hurry. So it has me wondering did she actually make solid hits on the bull elk but the the 130 gr loads I made where to light on wight and powder for the elk . I am sick to think the bull could have ran off a couple of valleys and expired. She thinks she needs a magnum now and I am against it . What I have heard the factory 140 gr superformance almost matches my 300wm 180 gr for drop not the energy but it should have enough to get the job done . Thanks in advance and where not looking to get linched for makeing long range shots at animals .more often than not these are the only chances we have and practice 100-600yard shots often because of the area we hunt .
Old 12-02-2018, 04:55 AM

Luke 23:34 comes to mind at times like these.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-02-2018, 06:10 AM

SST is not a good bullet for elk,it does't penatrate bone very well,they are a great deer bullet thow.
As for duplicateing the superformance load,I tried superformance powder in my 270 and got good speed but never did reach there velocity.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 AM

Have you actually shot the Superformance load on paper to 600 yards? When testing some Superformance loads over the chronograph, they were producing 100-200fps less than the published velocity.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchaser View Post
Ok so I have a question for fellow reloading members ??? Has anyone had any luck to duplicate the factory load safely ? If so recomodations and recipes would be appreciated , this for my wife,s gun . She was shooting at a bull elk at just over 525 yards totally relaxed off her bipod fired 3 shots and swore 2 where good . We went checked for blood hair any indication of a hit . Didn’t find a thing ! We spent the next 3 hrs searching the meadow and poplar stand down to the watering hole without finding him or any sign of a hit . I thought she clean missed and better luck next time . But the following Saturday she dropped her 5x5 WT buck at 582 yards 1 shot after running 75 yards setting up in a hurry. So it has me wondering did she actually make solid hits on the bull elk but the the 130 gr loads I made where to light on wight and powder for the elk . I am sick to think the bull could have ran off a couple of valleys and expired. She thinks she needs a magnum now and I am against it . What I have heard the factory 140 gr superformance almost matches my 300wm 180 gr for drop not the energy but it should have enough to get the job done . Thanks in advance and where not looking to get linched for makeing long range shots at animals .more often than not these are the only chances we have and practice 100-600yard shots often because of the area we hunt .
If she is skilled enough to drop a deer at 582 yds as you are saying, I am sure she did not miss that elk either.
I had a similar bad luck with 270 wsm and 140 gr Accubond at 550 yds on a big bull that managed to run couple hundreds yds after a solid hit, but after that hunt I got 300 WSM and 200 gr out of it works way better then anything out of .277 caliber ,especially at the ranges you guys are shooting.

S12