Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2019, 09:14 PM

Exclamation Backcountry All-Season Tent Recommendations

I am wondering if anyone out there has experience camping in the backcountry? If so, what type of tent/shelter do you recommend? I am looking for something light, packable, affordable, and durable. It must be an all-season shelter that sleeps 1-2 people. Thank you for your recommendations and suggestions!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

MSR REMOTE 2-PERSON 4-SEASON TENT

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5052-6...-4-Season-Tent

15% off if your a Veteran

Just spent my first night in this tent and I really like it. To start, I'm a tall person at 6'1 and 190lbs. Prior to buying this tent I've owned the MEC TGV 2 tent (the older one) and spent approx 20 something nights in it. I found that the TGV was just too small for me and another person to stay in. So I started researching for a 4 season 2 person "livable" tent that still came in at a reasonable weight. MSR seemed to fit the bill.

For the MSR remote the first obvious thing is it's way bigger, the two vestibules are huge, interior is tall, and the floorspace is generous. My normal climbing/camping partners are around the same size as me, so an oversize 2 person like this is ideal. The tent also packs down fairly small and isn't too heavy for two people to split up the weight.

My first night spent in here was solo and in around -10C on a fairly calm winter night set up on firm ground. I left both vents wide open and had no condensation, although since I was on my own, don't use that as a representation of the condensation management of this tent.

Now the downsides - The snow flaps should have a velcro attachment so they can be tucked away (instead of flapping in the wind) if you're not on snow, and the instructions for setting up the fly were not clear. At home I only set up the base of the tent and not the fly, don't do that. Setting this up in the field during sunset took a lot of frustration. Final downside was the footprint is a bit too large for the tent so takes a few extra minutes to keep secure while setting up the tent.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:32 PM

I can recommend a place to look.

https://geartrade.ca

Looks like pretty good pricing.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 PM

The mountain hardware "3season " I have is of good quality. Easy to set up. And has all the features for a summer tent. If I were going for a 4 season I would consider them.

Big ages is great too but very expensive.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2019, 08:10 AM

Default tent

The 3 seasons any tent will do, if you want to tent Nov-March period you better consider a tent with wood heater.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:39 AM

We used a big one from Costco, I don't remember the name. Its almost 14yrs old and on its last legs. Redone 2 seams, recorded the poles, and now I have to replace the plastic pole clips, and build a new bag. I have been weighing repair or replace. If I replace it will be the mid sized Cabela's Alaskan, or the West Wind. Lots of great reviews and options between them.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
The 3 seasons any tent will do, if you want to tent Nov-March period you better consider a tent with wood heater.
Respectfully disagree. With a good sleeping bag and a good 4season tent, we've been fine in -30 snow storms.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:31 PM

"light, packable, affordable, and durable"

Pick two of those options!

One more vote for the MEC TGV or if you are 100% using in the snow the MEC Nunatack.

As for MSR they just don't tick that affordable price!

Good luck tho and keep us posted!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:35 PM

MSR makes some great 4 season tents...I own a Moss Stargazer...Moss was bought by MSR a while back.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:40 PM

Light, packable, affordable and durable....

Going to have some trade-offs with that list for sure.

Hilleberg has done well for me in a late season environment. I've had my Tarptent in some very cold stuff but not true winter camping. Likely if I wanted something as bomb proof as I could, I'd go Hilleberg
Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 PM

If it has no stove pipe jack, its not a 4 season tent. Just reflect back on the weather we endured this last February. Regardless of the quality of your kit under these circumstances you need a furnace inside. And winter camping beside the Toyota is all fine and well, but light weight, affordable and packable are just dandy for fair weather camp outs but not for what mother nature can toss at you when the chips are down. Heavy canvas, a cover tarp, the mother of all wood stoves and a good hand on the chain saw will see you through these times in relative comfort. And yes like many Alberta outdoors men I have been on both sides of this situation and have learned from these experiences. D.H.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:10 AM

We liked our TGV2 tent from MEC so much that we were on our second one after a Grizzly bear had his way with the first.
It's not the lightest but when split between 2 people it isn't too bad.
We haven't camped in it below -10 but it has held up to some snow, and kept us dry in 70km/h+ winds and rain. It's tight for 2 people but the wife and I have spent many weeks sleeping in it. If you're camping with your hunting buddy I might suggest looking for a larger tent.
Now that our family is growing we traded up for the larger TGV4 and hope it performs as well even though it will mostly be used for car camping for the next few years.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:00 AM

" light, packable, affordable, and durable"

Think of a balance scale. You have all the variables there but you will have to balance them off on one another.

light - packable, affordable, durable
durable - packable, affordable, light
affordable - packable, light, durable
You get the picture.

You can't have it all
What are you willing to sacrifice or compromise on? and by how much?
Take an honest and long look at each factor then decide on your priorities from highest to lowest then you will know what you need.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 AM

Default tent

We use a 6 inch diameter ridge pole on our outfitter tent and had it broken by 2 foot snow fall. Please explain how these little stick tents are going to handle heavy snow fall let alone -40oC without good wood heater.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
We use a 6 inch diameter ridge pole on our outfitter tent and had it broken by 2 foot snow fall. Please explain how these little stick tents are going to handle heavy snow fall let alone -40oC without good wood heater.
People do it all the time. If your going on a multi day ski tour in the backcountry on the mountain your not bringing an outfitter tent. They are nice to have but not necessary and don’t pack very well. Same could be said for a mountain hunt. The key is use a tent that is not too big,meaning don’t use a 3 person tent for one person, to stay warm. Make sure your using a good winter sleeping bag and crack a vent at the top of the tent when sleeping to reduce condensation on the inside of the tent. Boil water and put it in a Nalgene bottle if your really cold, then close the lid tightly and sleep with it in your bag like a hot water bottle.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Hilleberg Nammatj
Light, packable, durable not the most affordable but amazing tent. It's a tunnel design and can withstand some snow load...apparently. I love it but have not tested in snow and winter.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
People do it all the time. If your going on a multi day ski tour in the backcountry on the mountain your not bringing an outfitter tent. They are nice to have but not necessary and don’t pack very well. Same could be said for a mountain hunt. The key is use a tent that is not too big,meaning don’t use a 3 person tent for one person, to stay warm. Make sure your using a good winter sleeping bag and crack a vent at the top of the tent when sleeping to reduce condensation on the inside of the tent. Boil water and put it in a Nalgene bottle if your really cold, then close the lid tightly and sleep with it in your bag like a hot water bottle.

We used to winter camp with no wood stove, like mentioned...people do it all the time. As soon as you say “canvas” it means you’re not packing that tent on your back.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Couple things..

1) small tents are easier to use shelter of trees/cover from heavy snowfall

2)in the event of no trees/cover, the small tents are easy to clear off with a simple bump of the roof from inside and any time I've seen heavy snow fall.. most of it has slid off the side of my tent by itself.

3) I've seen -30 and slept like a baby with no issues

4) People do it all the time. Maybe you can't. But lots and lots of people do sleep in these tents in the cold of winter.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Seek Outside Cimarron Light with Ti stove would be my pick. 5 lbs 14 oz for $824.00 USD + some shipping and duty unless you can mule it back.

I run a Redcliff and while winter camping is totally doable without a stove it's just infinitely nicer with a stove.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:10 PM

This video...though long...illustrates some winter camping in the Nammatj
https://youtu.be/Wy81pHBeyQQ
Old 03-16-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Seek Outside Cimarron Light with Ti stove would be my pick. 5 lbs 14 oz for $824.00 USD + some shipping and duty unless you can mule it back.

I run a Redcliff and while winter camping is totally doable without a stove it's just infinitely nicer with a stove.
I just bought the redcliff with Ti stove. CAnt wait to try it
Old 03-16-2019, 05:40 PM

Bibler I-tent or Bibler Eldorado

Tags
backcountry, camping tent, recommend, winter camping