Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-24-2022, 08:10 AM

Default Benchmade folders

I’m looking for a new pocket knife for every day. I’d love a Sabenza, but not happening. I like the blade shape on the bugout, but would want Aluminum or Titanium scales. I hate coated blades so would probably have to add aftermarket scales. The 940 looks a bit outlandish, but seems to get great reviews, has been available for years and looks to be built like a tank. I’m a lefty and these two knives also appear to be truly ambidextrous. Does anyone use these knives or have another recommendation? Thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-24-2022, 08:26 AM

Default Grizzly Creek Folder

I have a Benchmade Grizzly Creek folder and it has been awesome. I got it about 9-10 years ago, and have carried it the majority of the time since then.

It is a more bulky than my bailout (basically a bugout with a tanto blade), I usually take the bailout if I am wearing dress pants or thinner jeans.

I like the grizzly creek because the mechanism is ambidextrous and butter smooth once broke in, it is built really really well, and it holds an edge very well. It is a bit harder to sharpen because of the slight "belly" but that us really just a learning thing. I actually really like the blade profile on this knife. The gut hook is also a nice touch, I will admit though that I have never used it for gutting.

Something worth looking at, it inspires more "toughness" confidence than the Benchmade offerings that use the scales as structure for the knife.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:54 AM
Banned

Get the Sabenza. Done. Thank me later
Old 03-24-2022, 09:02 AM

Lol.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-24-2022, 09:09 AM

I have a mini crooked river for a town knife, and really like it. Fit and finish was nice, good steel, I like the locking mechanism on the benchmades.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:19 AM

Love Benchmade knives. Once you use the Axis lock it’s hard to use anything else

MiniGriptilian in the pocket when in the city, Benchmade freak for the country/acreage
Old 03-24-2022, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Lol.
Don’t laugh, I’m serious. You won’t regret it.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:51 AM

I have a Spyderco Sage 2 (titanium handle) which is a really nice knife. I believe they are discontinued but I’m sure you could find one used.

Mostly I carry a benchmade mini bug out because it’s smaller and lighter.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Don’t laugh, I’m serious. You won’t regret it.
If thunderbird had a plain Incosi in stock I’d be darn tempted

-Billy Molls
Old 03-24-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I have a mini crooked river for a town knife, and really like it. Fit and finish was nice, good steel, I like the locking mechanism on the benchmades.
Me too. Nicest gift ever. Great knife
Old 03-24-2022, 12:42 PM

I have the 940 with the green and purple. Love the knife. Im also a lefty and have no problems. Realistically there’s nothing the blade shape won’t do in everyday life. And if you just needed a box opener you’d get an olfa. I do love the axis lock for one handed open and closing with a flick.

Looked at a sebenza too. Didn’t see any benefits over the added cost. In my opinion the smoothness of the opening is all fine when it’s new in box. Get it dirty enough and they all suck. I also got to pick one up in person and I wasn’t blown away with how it felt.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:55 PM

Benchmade 585 Barrage
Old 03-24-2022, 12:55 PM

I have the mini Griptilion, really like it for an EDC.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-24-2022, 01:58 PM

I did lots of research as I was buying an EDC for my son who is a lefty. Ended up with the green 940 and he really likes it. Hasn't had it long enough to fully test it out but as mentioned the reviews were very good.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I’d love a Sabenza, but not happening.
Don’t start cheap and go with a Sibert. And lucky you, he is running a silent auction on his instagram until tomorrow for this guy:

Starting bid is only $2,400 USD plus PayPal fees and whatnot.

Joking, obviously; saw it earlier today and thought this would be an appropriate thread to share this creation.

I would think it depends on what you are planning to use the knife for, depends on what your “daily uses” are. That would probably dictate the shape and steel. Imho, hard to go wrong with a pm2, which also comes in a couple of dozens or more various steels. I currently ”carry” this one:

I hardly ever use it though, really, because I also have a couple of Buck whatever it is 10-dollar knives kicking around the vehicle that get most of things cut that need to be cut. I think I saw a post in found a good deal thread that they are on sale for $15 at Canadian Tire again.

I never was a real fan of any particular folder because most quality (and not) ones would the job. Granted, I probably don’t use a knife as much as others do in my day-to-day life.

Whatever you decide, I would recommend going to https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/ and browse around. They are great to deal with and their prices are at least as good as anyone else (occasional great deals aside), including the shipping fee of about $10. They are currently listing 480 Benchmade products. They also have quite a few PM 2 and PM3 to choose from. The one I have in CruWare is… not really, but kind of hard to come by in Canada, more often than not, and it is currently listed as sold out on their website as well; but if you sign up for notifications there, it pops up back in stock every few weeks or so. Scales aren’t aluminum or titanium though, but these are probably some of the most popular knives and have all kinds of scales and other things to “upgrade” to. Not sure it is worth the money though and this one looks and performs great, imo.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:37 AM

Chuck have you ever even held a sebenza? For all the hype and cult like following I expected them to be bloody nice. It was a complete letdown. My opinion of them now is that they’re the knife everyone loves because it’s in style to speak highly of them. They’re all show and no go.

Titanium and alloy scales look good when they’re new, look horrible once they’ve been used. I’ve had a few and while I like a knife that looks used but the snail trails and scratches all over the titanium doesn’t work for me. They’re also heavy in the pocket, cold in the hand and slippery when wet.

Benchmades, also owned a few. Grew to hate the ergonomics of the axis lock. I also thought the thumb stud was pretty sweet having come from knives that had to be opened the old fashioned way. Then I found a mini griptilion with the hole in the blade similar to spyderco. Once I owned that I couldn’t stand the thumb stud. Sure they work fine with clean, dry hands. Throw some gloves on, get your hands slimy and all of a sudden it’s not as good as it could be.

After many, many years of thinking spyderco’s were the dumbest looking knives I figured I better try one. Turns out they work. Their function makes them beautiful to me now. The different styles of locks means you’ll likely find something you like and the variation in steels, scales and blade shapes are endless.

That’s just my opinion but try a sebenza before you spend much time thinking you’ll like it. Consider if the titanium scales are really what you want. Weigh the thumb stud and lock against the alternatives. I’ve played with the 940 but never owned one. It is a nice, slim pocket knife but not my cup of tea.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:43 AM

You know, I have handled them and really do agree on the Sebenza. My other beef with them is that the small is too small and the large to big.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2022, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
You know, I have handled them and really do agree on the Sebenza. My other beef with them is that the small is too small and the large to big.
It’s definitely a personal preference. I’ve carried the small Sebenza for 2-3 years now. For me it’s perfect daily carry knife. I’ve owned piles of knives over the years, this is one of my favourites for sure for many reasons. I find it perfect for front pocket carry. Slim and fits my hand perfect.

It’s definitely not the knife I use for ranch work or harsh work. I have many others for cutting net wrap or strings off bales etc..

The large Sebenza is not for me. I’m glad Wrongside had one so I could get a feeling for it and find out it wasn’t quite my thing.

Good luck in your hunt!
Old 03-26-2022, 08:44 AM

The wife carries the ladybug and i rotate between 3 a 10 year old spiderco love the fit and finish gerber ez out carries a wicked edge and my dads old benchmade
Old 03-27-2022, 07:21 AM

Default Knfe

These 2 are available if anyone is looking for a nice smallish EDC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2677F46-02D2-4D32-8309-DD0054645079.jpg (25.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg C14BA865-8D8F-4D34-A86A-9FC77C34F61C.jpg (25.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg D1E574FF-28A6-4DB7-9229-E6199CD4C944.jpg (25.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 03-27-2022, 08:10 AM

What are the specs on the non serrated one? Blade and handle materials.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-27-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
What are the specs on the non serrated one? Blade and handle materials.
This is all I have for specs. It’s just a factory knife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D4AFE994-A3C2-41CB-BCD2-5E66D25ADBBD.jpg (35.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DA439063-4519-4606-99E2-FD11D7B590B9.jpg (24.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-27-2022, 08:19 PM

I am leaning towards the Benchmade mini bug out orange...my experience with S30V steel has been good. I value light weight in an edc knife. Hi vis colour is also a plus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (24.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-27-2022, 10:22 PM

I like the spring assistance that benchmade has on some of their knives. Opens very fast.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:51 PM

Here is what I settled on. Sorry Coiliol I CANNOT get past the look of the PM 2 or 3. Lol.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-06-2022, 03:48 PM

Default Benchmade folders

Quote:
Here is what I settled on. Sorry Coiliol I CANNOT get past the look of the PM 2 or 3. Lol.

Great steel. It’s a very balanced steel for edc. Not as tough as some of the carbon supersteels but my favourite stainless. The blade shape reminds me of the Gayle Bradley I ran for a couple years and it worked well. I hope you like it.

In regard to the PM2. You don’t get past the look of em until you use it. Once you do though... nirvana. Very similar to a warn 8274 in that regard. Once you use one they make sense and you would never go back.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:21 PM

I’d like a Gayle Bradley and just about bought one. But I’d like it an inch shorter.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-06-2022, 05:47 PM

^ That’s Spyopera, isn’t it? I was contemplating getting one when they were released a couple of years ago or so. You can find pics of the inside in this thread at Spyderco forum, if interested: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic...87264&start=40. They are nice knives. Although I agree with Coil about the PM2’s.

Did you pick it up at Warriors and Wonders/Blades of Canada?
Old 04-06-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ That’s Spyopera, isn’t it? I was contemplating getting one when they were released a couple of years ago or so. You can find pics of the inside in this thread at Spyderco forum, if interested: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic...87264&start=40. They are nice knives. Although I agree with Coil about the PM2’s.

Did you pick it up at Warriors and Wonders/Blades of Canada?
I did yes. And that is the model.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-06-2022, 06:26 PM

^ Good stuff. Good choice of both, the blade (and steel) and the store to buy from, they are good people.