Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2023, 10:15 AM

Default Wood pellets

I'm out of pellets and need to stock up again. All I'm seeing is $40 for 40 lbs. Or $25 for 20 lbs.

I swear I used to buy 40 lb bags of pitboss pellets on sale at cabelas for $20. I'd buy 2 or 3 and be set for a while.

Even the costco website says $40.

I'm heading to Red Deer to pick some up. I guess that's what I'll have to pay.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2023, 10:35 AM

The new Reality, pet food has gone the same route.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-29-2023, 11:05 AM

I use the Canawick hardwood heating pellets from Canadian tire. $7.29/40lb. Canadian tire part #064-2776-0. Try them and see if you can notice a difference in taste; I can’t.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:09 AM

Are we talking smoking pellets or home heating pellets? If smoking, Princess Auto had a bunch on sale for ridiculously low prices in the last bit.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Are we talking smoking pellets or home heating pellets? If smoking, Princess Auto had a bunch on sale for ridiculously low prices in the last bit.
Sorry I was talking about smoking pellets.

Thanks for the info. I checked their website and they are definitely cheaper. They are different name brands. I'm not sure if that makes a huge difference or not?

They are $10 cheaper for 20, and 40 lb bags.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:47 AM

See if there is a Lumber Jack dealer near you. Prices are about the same but the quality is much better I found than Pit Boss pellets.
Old 07-29-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Sorry I was talking about smoking pellets.

Thanks for the info. I checked their website and they are definitely cheaper. They are different name brands. I'm not sure if that makes a huge difference or not?

They are $10 cheaper for 20, and 40 lb bags.

Come to think of it, Peavey Mart had a bunch too. Don't remember the brand name.

If to try, buy a bag and try, if it works, you know, if it doesn't, then you know for next time.
Old 07-31-2023, 01:39 PM

For the Costco pellets, check the price in-store. They have the best price that I've seen - the Kirkland pellets are under $20 for a 40-lb bag. I picked up a couple of bags at the St. Albert Costco this week at that price.

As mentioned by Stonefish, I have also used the heating pellets in my smoker as well; you can save a lot of money using those. Just make sure that when you fill your hopper, you don't dump the fine sawdust in.

Some of my friends will blend them with the "fancy" pellets; or they time it so that they use the cheaper pellets for the heating/cooking part of the cycle and then switch to the premium pellets for the "smoke" part of the cycle. YMMV.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Come to think of it, Peavey Mart had a bunch too. Don't remember the brand name.

If to try, buy a bag and try, if it works, you know, if it doesn't, then you know for next time.
I believe the brand is called papa's. They seem to be popular in the US. We didn't pick any up. I went full cripple and the boss had to take me home early. I like that two 20lb bags is the same price as one 40lb bag so you can grab a few different kinds.

Old 07-31-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
For the Costco pellets, check the price in-store. They have the best price that I've seen - the Kirkland pellets are under $20 for a 40-lb bag. I picked up a couple of bags at the St. Albert Costco this week at that price.

As mentioned by Stonefish, I have also used the heating pellets in my smoker as well; you can save a lot of money using those. Just make sure that when you fill your hopper, you don't dump the fine sawdust in.

Some of my friends will blend them with the "fancy" pellets; or they time it so that they use the cheaper pellets for the heating/cooking part of the cycle and then switch to the premium pellets for the "smoke" part of the cycle. YMMV.
My friend told me about Costco being cheaper but their website says different. I guess I'll have to go inside and see for myself. That's where I had planned on going originally.

Old 08-01-2023, 05:33 AM

I'll chime in on the pellet topic... those who think burning heating pellets in their smoker is OK should do some research on Google and find out why it's not a good idea.. heating pellets are made from wood and chemicals that you shouldn't be cooking your food over.... thnx
Old 08-01-2023, 07:58 AM

Most places are $1/lb. Kirkland are half the price and are very good.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniaw24 View Post
I'll chime in on the pellet topic... those who think burning heating pellets in their smoker is OK should do some research on Google and find out why it's not a good idea.. heating pellets are made from wood and chemicals that you shouldn't be cooking your food over.... thnx
Will be taking a deeper look into that, thanks!
Old 08-01-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Most places are $1/lb. Kirkland are half the price and are very good.
The kirkland pellets remind me of pitboss
Old 08-01-2023, 10:35 AM

Visit Backcountry Recreation in the north end and get yourself some Lumberjack pellets.

Other brands just don’t compare.

I usually get the char hickory or competition blend.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:57 AM
AO Sponsor

I started using Lumberjack a few years back and never went back to anything else. They burn clean and leave very little ash. As per my own research I don't think you will find anything more pure and no binders.

https://lumberjackpellets.ca/lumber-...MaAiPXEALw_wcB
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-01-2023, 03:09 PM

Just picked up 4 bags from Costco today. $17.98 40lb bags
Old 08-01-2023, 04:07 PM

Late to the party probably but Wickerland ( SE Calgary) has Jax original blend pellets reg 27 for 20 pound box on for 17. Yes, original price is too high but I only buy these when on sale anywhere. A good solid pellet that burns a little longer than many pellets out there.
I probably used 100 pounds of these and like them . Only grabbed one as last week I bought 60 pounds of Furtatdo Farms pellets at Primitive meats.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:51 PM

Costco all the way. I could not believe $18/40lbs so I tried a bag this spring. Every bit as good or better than supposed high end pellets at BQ galore. I got 4 bags and hope to stock up again.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
My friend told me about Costco being cheaper but their website says different. I guess I'll have to go inside and see for myself. That's where I had planned on going originally.

Costco website prices are always way higher then in store. It is for shipping but double the price if in store seems quite a bit higher. I have bought a couple bags of Kirkland pellets and have not been very impressed. They have inconsistent lengths of pellets, quite a few pellets that are longer some being close to 2” long, they don’t tend to feed as nice and if too many big ones they will plug the auger. Also they do burn dirty and leave a lot of soot/dust and ash in the burn tray. I will be going back to Lumberjack pellets from now on.