Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2023, 05:52 PM

Default Another mushroom ID please

I believe these are a bolet(have to find my mushroom book to be sure on the name) and they are edible

Can someone confirm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2023, 06:18 PM

Two different types.

An edible Aspen bolete on the right.
Not sure about the one on the left, maybe a Tamarack Jack....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-01-2023, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Two different types.

An edible Aspen bolete on the right.
Not sure about the one on the left, maybe a Tamarack Jack....
Both are boletes. On the right is an aspen bolete on the left is a suillus boletus.Aspen bolete is great for fresh frying or drying for a later use. The other one is absolutely second to none for pickling! I found few of them at the time but never enough for pickling, damn!
Old 08-01-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Both are boletes. On the right is an aspen bolete on the left is a suillus boletus.Aspen bolete is great for fresh frying or drying for a later use. The other one is absolutely second to none for pickling! I found few of them at the time but never enough for pickling, damn!
I guessed Suillus grevillei, common name Tamarack Jack.
Correct?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-01-2023, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys slowly learning the different species. I only pick the ones I am pretty confident are edible and research/get more experienced peoples opinions before eating them. I have a couple books but the pics are not always the best

Probably about 7-8 different kinds of mushrooms in the little area I found theses but was not confident enough on any of the others

One I seen today I have been trying to find in my books as I remember reading in the past there is a mushroom with pink gills that is edible but can’t remember the name

I probably leave all kinds of edible mushrooms in the bush because I don’t know enough to comfortably pick them
Old 08-01-2023, 07:40 PM

I’ve never heard em called tamersck jacks

But I know em as slippery jacks

Peel the top skin off…
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-01-2023, 08:27 PM

Bessie,
There are many closely related but different species of shrooms that have the name Slippery Jack.

Smokey,
A good way to learn new mushrooms is to pick samples of the ones you don't know, bring them home for further research. Pick them with the roots, pick both old and young ones if possible. At home you can test them for things such as spore print color and detailed physical characteristics, while looking at photos and reading up for a possible identification.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:38 PM

Haven't picked mushrooms since I was a kid and would go with my parents where Leon's is now. That is, until this past weekend.
Went for a family ride on the Iron Horse and was astounded at all the mushrooms. Have never seen wild mushrooms grow like this. Downloaded an app that was incredible at identifying mushrooms. Picked a couple small bags of creamy russula's and a couple aspen boletes. Parboiled with some garlic cloves and then fried with homemade Italian sausage. Just like my mom used to make.
Absolutely excellent.
I felt like Ego eating Rattatouille. Lol

Picture Mushroom is the app. Unfortunately it's expensive, as far as apps go.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Bessie,
There are many closely related but different species of shrooms that have the name Slippery Jack.

Smokey,
A good way to learn new mushrooms is to pick samples of the ones you don't know, bring them home for further research. Pick them with the roots, pick both old and young ones if possible. At home you can test them for things such as spore print color and detailed physical characteristics, while looking at photos and reading up for a possible identification.
Been slowly doing as you suggest just starting with the easy ones and building confidence

Not actively searching either but it’s nice to be able to pick a few things in my travels
Old 08-01-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I guessed Suillus grevillei, common name Tamarack Jack.
Correct?
Slippery Jack I think is a correct name. I’m not familiar with the local names of the mushrooms, I can recognize the ones I know and remember their Russian names. The one you are asking about is called”maslenok”….
Going out tomorrow with Red Bullet to pick some, hopefully will hit a sweet spot and get a few. They taste amazing fried with onions and young potatoes….
Old 08-02-2023, 06:57 AM

For a number of features shown in the pics, I still think this is a Tamarack Jack, not a Slippery Jack. Tamaracks are edible.