Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 PM

Default Best primers for 30-06

Hey guys, Just getting into reloading. Quick question.... 30-06. Using 165gr. Hornady Interbonds. Imr 4350 powder. Now I'v done some research and looked around but I am wondering what the best primers are. Or if there is such a thing. Is it just personal preference or are there better ones out there then the rest? Any input would be swell. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 PM

The best primer,is the one that is the most consistent with your load.It might be a Winchester primer,it might be a Federal primer,or it may be a CCI primer.What I have found though,is that the primer has been the least important factor in which loads shoot best in my guns.The particular bullet,and powder have been much,much,more of a factor.As a result,use what primers you like,or these days,whichever large rifle primer you can find.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The best primer,is the one that is the most consistent with your load.It might be a Winchester primer,it might be a Federal primer,or it may be a CCI primer.What I have found though,is that the primer has been the least important factor in which loads shoot best in my guns.The particular bullet,and powder have been much,much,more of a factor.As a result,use what primers you like,or these days,whichever large rifle primer you can find.
yup, what elk said. a guy i know who is very seriously into target shooting told me he goes even further yet. he weighs empty cases after sizing and trimming and groups them into batches of equal weight. he told me that sometimes wall thickness of the brass can create enough difference in internal case pressure to cause a difference in bullet flight. he is a way better shooter than i could ever hope to be, so ill take his word for it.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What he said...buy a 100 of any brand of LR primers and have at 'er. Can't really go wrong with any of the brands. If you experiment with different primers, scale back your powder charges a grain or two and work back up. Pressures could differ between brands or even lot numbers.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:58 PM

If you don't already have primers on hand,you may discover,that these days,it isn't always easy to find a good selection of large rifle primers.At times,many stores don't have any at all in stock,and very few stores have more than one or two brands of large rifle primers in stock.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 PM

I stocked up a few years back on powder and primers. Seems the magnam primers are the hardest to get. I got 1000 but mostly use LR primers.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Usually the milder the primer the better reguarding accuracy. The only exception is if it will be used in cold weather. In that case, a hotter primer is recommended. Mild LR primers include Rem, CCI and Fed, Win being hotter in that order. IMR 4350 is an easy powder to ignite, so mag primers are not necessary unless you plan to use it in cold weather(-10 or below). For most consistant ignition, make sure that the bullet is seated intothe neck the equivalent to it's own diameter. Running the bullets close or into the lands won't help if you have poor ignition of powder.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
yup, what elk said. a guy i know who is very seriously into target shooting told me he goes even further yet. he weighs empty cases after sizing and trimming and groups them into batches of equal weight. he told me that sometimes wall thickness of the brass can create enough difference in internal case pressure to cause a difference in bullet flight. he is a way better shooter than i could ever hope to be, so ill take his word for it.
Most match shooters sort and weigh their brass after trimming and uniforming
the flash holes, the exception being the guys who use Norma or lapua brass - no need to, the the brass is that consistent!
Ball powder and larger case capacity are to criteria that sometimes warrant a magnum primer, but if they ignition of a milder primer makes no difference in your groups, go with the mildest primer you can.....
Cat
Old 03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

yeah, i didnt mention the deburring and truing of the flashhole, but for sure they do. heck, you can still go further than that if ya really want to. really not necesary for hunting applications but whatever works for those that do.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned

as long as we are talking about primers, i use magnums for my 270wsm. im using IMR4350 powder. the load im using already shoots around an inch so aside from accuracy, is there any other advantage to milder primers. im pretty sure the gun would shoot better with some tweaking, and in the hands of a better shooter, but thats about all im capable of.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 PM

Check out

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....g-primers.html

It gives you some info on the differences between Classes of primers. Pretty much the pressure generated is the only difference. Its worth a look.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....allistics.html

This also gives some cartridge specific info.
Hopes this helps..
Old 03-25-2010, 06:48 PM

I use cci lr or magnum primers in my 06...doesn't seem to make a difference . Bullets and powders and powder charges however do.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

that page says im using what they think is best. thanks ford. like i said, i think im at my limit already for accuracy. a better shooter might shoot my gun a little better, but i seem to have hit my ceiling.