Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Banned

Default NOSLER 125gr for 300 win mag

Just wondering if these bullets are accurate and what anyone has shot with them or any other light bullets for this calibre.

Big exits or small ones.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:35 PM

What are you wanting to shoot at? It's almost useless in cartridges that are overbored like the .300 mag except on coyotes and only if you don't want their pelts. The only use it would be good for is a reduced load for practice and they're a little pricey for that. This bullet will be traveling at about 3500 fps and will blow up on impact at short range. If you're looking for more velocity, go to a 300 RUM or something similar. Extra velocity can be good, but it's grossly over rated. As your velocity increases, the faster a bullet will slow down.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 PM

I've used them in my 30-06 and they where amazing for such a short bullet I was getting under 1 inch in all the loads i tried this is going to be my varmint hunting load come winter.

Last edited by happytrout23; 07-11-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 PM

I was going to try them on coyotes gophers and maybe deer.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=rafter2x;627662]Coyotes Gophers Deer
Old 07-11-2010, 10:29 PM

I've heard from a lot of people that the meat damage on deer with the ballistic tips is pretty bad
Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 AM

^^I agree.^^ I think you would waste a whole bunch of meat of you used them on deer. Why not just pick an appropriate bullet?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrout23 View Post
I've heard from a lot of people that the meat damage on deer with the ballistic tips is pretty bad
You heard right.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

FIRST OF ALL WHAT THE HECK IS AN APPROPRIATE BULLET
I've used every ballistic tip besides 125s. I've hit every deer in the lungs, heart or liver never making a mess of the little meat that is on a deer.
I suppose if you make a mistake or misjudge the wind, yah you will destroy alot of meat.
BACK TO MY QUESTION HERE: Has anyone loaded these bullets and what was the performance like. Thank you for the comments above.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Banned

Well I might try them on my mulie buck and maybe a coyote or two if the are accurate if not I will be using 150gr SST.

Anymore input would be great.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:02 AM

I had a 150 ballistic tip shot out of a 7mm ram mag explode on a 40 yard shot at a deer. Shot in the heart, it sure killed it, but ruined far too much meat for me to ever use a ballistic tip at high velocities again.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I have killed deer,pronghorn,bighorn,elk and moose with ballistic tips,totaling over 50 animals,with very good results.In most cases,the muzzle velocity was between 3350fps and 3500fps,and almost all of the shots were lung shots.With lung shots,the meat damage was not excessive,but if a shoulder is struck,the damage can be much more,depending on the particular bullet.

The thing with ballistic tips,is that they perform very differently,depending on the bullet weight and caliber.For example,the .277"-130gr ballistic tips are very soft,yet the .284"-120gr ballistic tip is much tougher.The .308"-180gr ballistic tip,has a very thick jacket,and is much tougher than the lighter weight .308" ballistic tips.

Many people don't know that ballistic tips vary so much between calibers and bullet weights,so they just assume that all ballistic tips are very soft.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the input,I think that I am going to give them a try.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 PM

I have shoot a antelope doe at about 350 yards with the 125gr.Nosler BT.and it worked very well, BUT it was a neck shoot, and there was a massive hole on her off side...I would not use the round for deer, as I feel that it is to lightly constructed for a rib/shoulder shot , as for a coyote round it would be easy on the shoulder but hard on the hide. So if your not worried about turning a yote inside out, knock yourself out, but for deer use something else, in MYOP.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helluvahunter View Post
Just wondering if these bullets are accurate and what anyone has shot with them or any other light bullets for this calibre.

Big exits or small ones.

I used 165 gr with my 300 wm. Hit a muley doe 350 yds. Dropped her dead in her tracks all right. Through one rib then one lung. It separated after hitting the rib, one half stayed in the lung the other went up and hit her in the spine.

I wasn't impressed with that performance. If it had been an Elk, I'm not sure of the outcome.

Yes, accurate, lots of groups under 1" a couple 1/2" groups.

Then I switched to Swift Sciroccos. Been happy with them. Bonded core is better for the fast magnums in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Big exits or small ones.
What is your reasoning for using such a light bullet in a 30 cal magnum rifle other than " because I can" ? I love Nosler bullets, but to me the proper weight for big game in a 300 Magnum starts at 150 grains. Any thing lighter you might pull off if you were to use a Barnes TSX or TTSX (lessons learned from Elk Hunter 11, Dick 284 and 209x50). Just my opinion .
Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
FIRST OF ALL WHAT THE HECK IS AN APPROPRIATE BULLET
I've used every ballistic tip besides 125s. I've hit every deer in the lungs, heart or liver never making a mess of the little meat that is on a deer.
I suppose if you make a mistake or misjudge the wind, yah you will destroy alot of meat.
BACK TO MY QUESTION HERE: Has anyone loaded these bullets and what was the performance like. Thank you for the comments above.
If your shooting a 300 Win Magnum, and your asking us how a 125 grain bullet will work will work on deer... you must be pretty low on matter between your ears.

There is absolutely no reason to own a 300 mag and have to shoot 125 grain bullets at deer. Unless your a custom build, your rate of twist will be wrong... and your meat damage if you error will be huge.

What your talking about doing is borderline unethical. Fill your boots with varmits. Respect the animals we eat.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Go ahead and rock the 125gr'rs for any varmint your want, although running them for big game is a little questionable. Why not go up to a 150gr? trajectory is still going to be flat as h*ll.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:47 AM

Just load them up, find the MOST ACCURATE LOAD, not necessarily the FASTEST load, find your deer, head shot, game over. I am totally in the minority, as the majority of my kill shots have been head/neck shots at distances of 150 yards or less with a scope and rest. Of course I take the higher % body shot if the animal is on the move, or a head shot is not available, but, have a couple of weight bullets in your carrier. If you have to take a longer poke than 100-150 , use a 150gr+ and go for the sure shot vital zone. Now I will most certainly be flamed for taking "low %" headshots. The thing is, its only a problem if you miss, and I haven't missed yet. I DO know when NOT to pull the trigger, and I send enough lead down range each year to sink a ship. I practice shooting from all "field positions". (Including jogging up and down the range to make myself out of breath to simulate hunting)
Just do what you want. Those bullets will definately kill a deer. You may waste a bit of meat, but just give the blood shot meat to a neighborhood dog. It sure will fly straight and give you a long zero.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

Default You don't have a clue

Wow sneeze you better check the matter between your ears and read my thread again.: I am asking about [performance] from anyone who has loaded these bullets in this calibre. NOT if they will kill a deer, I have no doubt that they will put a deer down for good. I suppose you shoot your deer with a 375 H&H with 300 grain bullets too. Where the heck do you get your bullet logic. Obviously when you shoot your bullets they don't hit the kill zone.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Wow sneeze you better check the matter between your ears and read my thread again.: I am asking about [performance] from anyone who has loaded these bullets in this calibre. NOT if they will kill a deer, I have no doubt that they will put a deer down for good. I suppose you shoot your deer with a 375 H&H with 300 grain bullets too. Where the heck do you get your bullet logic. Obviously when you shoot your bullets they don't hit the kill zone.
Your absolutely right. You must be one heck of a shot; give yourself a huge pat on the back... Sorry I ever doubted you. How did you know that I never hit the "kill zone"?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Default Oops, Sorry helluvahunter

Quote:

helluvahunter, I'm sorry. I fell into the trap of reading where this thread was going and totally missed the original question.

While I never shot 125 Noslers, I did shoot the 165s. I can't remember the velocities, moving for sure, but they were some accurate. I'd be willing to bet the 125's would be pretty accurate out to some pretty decent ranges.
I know I've relied on Noslers Bal Tips in other calibers for some pretty scookum accuracy. I found many times I couldn't get Sierra Match bullets I would use Noslers to prove a rifle or sight it in, or just to make small holes in paper. A noble pursuit I think.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:

Big exits or small ones.
I have no experience with Nosler 125grn, but I do cast my own 130 grn lead bullets to practice with. I load them so they have the same POI at 100yrds as do the 180 grn tsx or e-tips or accubonds. Recoil of a 223 and can shoot them all day long with no sore shoulder or empty wallet. Wife loves to shoot these too as it recoils less than my 223 Every once and a while I through in a full load 180grn and she gives me the gears!!!!!LOL. Never shot anything but Gophers with them. The whole reason I bought a 300wm is to shoot heavier pills, faster.
Interesting thread, wouldn't mind hearing some results instead of hearsay! Guess I'll have to try some out.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned

No problem guys, Im going to give them a try on paper and see what happens and go from there. Can't wait for hunting season.