Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

What are some of the dumbest things you did as a kid.
Got married...lol
Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 AM

I should mention the good one I did when I was 12.

I was building this fort out of an old 5ft high wooden canoe rack. When it came to me building a roof I put logs on top to temporarilly keep the rubber roof in place. One day, I decided to nail down the roof and as I was doing that, I was standing on one of the logs. One moment I felt the log starting to roll under me, then the other moment I was falling flat on to my back with this 8lb log hitting right square on the chest. For about a minute I couln't speak. When I think back about it today, I still LMAO.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 03-23-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Wanted to add some more info
Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Building a 20ft high tree house floor out of old 1x4 boards.....one momment the three of us are pounding away, the next momment we are on the ground stunned, dazed with our the wind knocked out of us and our butts and backs hurting....we all slowly limped away from that project.

Bike racing down a very steep hill throught the trees....hard on the knuckles and the fence at the bottom catches you just like those nets on the aircraft carriers.

Jumping the dugout with dirtbikes.

Homemade darts from bike spokes,etc....you can throw them like a baseball a hundred yards...and you need a vise grips to pull them out....

The mother of all slingshots....wired to a post...required two guys to pull each other and it back....could fire a baseball size rock across the yard towards the other buildings and equipment.......

Gasoline fire trails.....

To name a few.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Gone Hunting

Beat me to it Sonny J

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM

GOlfing with shotgun shells
swimming across glacial lakes leading to near hypothermia
Motocross- says all it needs to
jumping snowmobiles in excess of 150-200 feet ten miles from the road, 100 miles from the hospital
pellet gun tag
beer darts
highway racing
salmon fishing with big, big bears
just a few....
Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM

hit a flat bed trailer at 110 on my dirt bike

beer bottle full of gas and a lite rag whip it a rocks

whip each other with copper wire til one person gave up lots of bleeding invloved
Old 03-23-2011, 04:01 PM

When I was about 12 a friend and I took 5 gallons of gas to the top of a hill on a local highway that was dished out from the heavy trucks. We poured the gas in the rut so it ran down the hill for about 1/2 a mile or so then when the headlights came the flames would race the car down the hill!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

I had a 30 lb recurve bow, when I was six I was shooting at a target I had made from a box. The wind kept blowing the box over so I suggested that my younger brother hold it up. Then I accidently shot him square in the crotch, a six year old can only draw a bow back so far and he was wearing jeans so there was no penetration, thank goodness he was not wearing sweatpants.

Another stupid thing we would do when there was a group of us was shoot arrows straight into the air, sort of a russian roulet game. It was all fun and games as long as you could see the arrow but the pure fear and suspense that we felt while we waited with our hearts in our throats for an arrow we had lost sight of to land...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 PM

My brother and i had lots of fun we chased after each other with knifes , lit those tiny bbq and put bit over our heads and marched around well did a lot of things with fire lets leave it there just amazed we never burnt down anything, when i was 5 all the kids in complexed and i would play a game to see who could keep there hand with a glove on in burn hot tar the longest, we would tie sheets to our bed and climb out the window 4 storys up was awsome till sheets rip. We also folded our selves in to hid a beds and lots more i swear we were in the hospital atleast once a week, they knew us by name
Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM

I once went down a mountain road on roller blades, no brake on my blades, woke up in the hospital with a pretty good concussion!
And a couple years back, I was doing some work on a condo complex, and rather than, move the ladder to the second house to go check out the roof, I just jumped from roof to roof! Only about 8 feet apart, but it was still pretty crazy!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
holy sheeeiiiiittt. I honestly felt the fear that he should have felt!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Parasailing behind a vehicle? Bought just the chute from gi joes. Bought 200' of just 1/4" rope. Ran it from every eyelit on the chute to a caribeaner. Hooked the caribeaner to another rope, then ran another 150' rope to the the hitch of my truck. The worst part about it all was the landing. Trucks dont stop right away, and you got dragged the 10-15ft on the ground once you land, and in a stubble field, its brutalllll.

6" Tractor tire and 300' steeep hill with partner on the other side inside. The first 2 revolutions were good, after that, it got wayyyyy to fast, and started bouncing. Which eventually led to one big bounce with us two getting pile driven into the ground and getting minor concussions.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
And Finally!
When I was 2, I tried to climb in the back of a station wagon-the old school one's with the truck style fold down tailgate.
The car rolled backwards , pinned me btwn the tailgate and a power pole.
Yes, the unthinkable happened and I lost both my legs above the knees.
But I'm still here!
So.... there's something alot of you never would have guessed after all these years together.

Yes, I've lived a life of trial and erorr.

Ok, just thinking of it all; I'm off to the Chiropractor.
I think this one takes the cake.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 PM

A couple more I thought of.

Entertainment for a whole day or until you got kicked out. Put 10 cents in dryer at the laundromat and spin around till you were ready to barf. Then the next guy goes in.

The old style pop cans were made heavy duty (1970's) You cut the ends off and duck taped the cans together usually about 4 cans, cut a small hole close to the end (which you kept sealed) and poured some gasoline into it. Then you put a tennis ball into the homemade bazooka you now had and dropped a match into the small hole. Flaming tennis ball. LMAO

Jumped off a car bridge in Montreal that took 9 seconds to hit the water. That hurt, so every year we would try to invent a better way and would get trashed every time.

I hate to say this but after reading this thread I'm thinking there are a lot of us on this board that were trying out for the Darwin Awards.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuL6244NSeM
Don't know how to imbed. This is something me and my friends did, not long ago it seems.

Last edited by tommyguitar; 03-24-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Default stunt

Travelled with a friend to Africa to film him shooting a man killing elephant with a bow.... and made it back home!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Starting a fire, throw in an either, paint or cleaner can and shoot it with a .22.

If any of you are familiar with antique threshing machines you will know that the straw pile would be quite high. One summer a friend of mine and myself thought that is would be a good idea to smoke on top of this straw pile in the middle of summer. Needless to say the straw pile didn't survive the night. You could see the flames from a couple of miles away.

I game where one guy rode his 80 cc honda motorbike and we would try and throw hockey sticks in his front or rear spokes to stop him. It was all fun and games until we actually got a successful spear through the front spokes. The guy flipped the bike end for end and broke his arm.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
I game where one guy rode his 80 cc honda motorbike and we would try and throw hockey sticks in his front or rear spokes to stop him. It was all fun and games until we actually got a successful spear through the front spokes. The guy flipped the bike end for end and broke his arm.
Haha!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 PM

Default darwin awards tryout

Buddies & I wondered what would happen if you dropped a match into the gas tank of a vehicle. Three fire trucks, two cop cars & a change of underwear later ...... we had the answer !!! I can still remember standing behind mom & dads house watching the smoke plume rise into the air, and realizing that I was destined to be grounded for a long, long time.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Cast Iron frying pan wars - use to hit each other with cast iron frying pans not allowed to hit in the face but I always cheated
This seriously made me LMAO

Ive rode my new 10 speed down a steep hill at the end of our alley that i KNEW led directly, and blindly i might add, into traffic at about 50km/hr.....not proud to say i did that more than once. Usually when a girl was watching.

Get bored playing street hockey so my buddy would lob golfball sized rocks in the air and id pick em outta the air with my old easton in a happy gilmore style swing hoping to never find out where they landed. Again not proud LOL

More times than i can count shot at things around the farm that could bounce a pellet back at you faster than you could react. Always would just shrug and laugh saying "that was close!" Ralphie did alright...figured id survive haha

Trying to keep with a buddies dirt bike on an old beat up yamaha atv and forget to take it outta 4x4.....those things dont like to corner at 45km/hr in 4x4....up on two wheels, steer it back onto two wheels and the resulting suspension slam sends all 100lbs of me off into the trees and the quad roaring down the trail unmanned for about a 100 yards. First time wearing my new helmet and there is still lumber embedded in it. I keep it around to show the kids what CAN happen. helmet saved my skin no doubt. Still ended up with a concussion. Skinned my chin on some bark and still have a nasty scar i keep a beard to cover. Broke my hand and bit both sides of my tongue off (about 1/8" each side).

I could go on all day but those are some of the most memorable ones for me.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Gone Hunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaxvDp0PUYw

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Some friends were moving across town with a car, they put the bed on the roof of the car and did'nt have any rope, so buddy lies on top the the bed thats on top the roof of the car and hangs on to each window frame and off they go. It was fine at slow speed but once they got on to the highway and up to the speed limit, the bed wanted to fly off and buddy had a very hard time hanging on. I sure laughed when they told me that one.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I had a 30 lb recurve bow, when I was six I was shooting at a target I had made from a box. The wind kept blowing the box over so I suggested that my younger brother hold it up. Then I accidently shot him square in the crotch, a six year old can only draw a bow back so far and he was wearing jeans so there was no penetration, thank goodness he was not wearing sweatpants.

Another stupid thing we would do when there was a group of us was shoot arrows straight into the air, sort of a russian roulet game. It was all fun and games as long as you could see the arrow but the pure fear and suspense that we felt while we waited with our hearts in our throats for an arrow we had lost sight of to land...

Funny as he#$, my buddy and I played russian roulet with our Bows !! Same thing, fire it in the air and whoever let the arrow land the closest would win.

Dodger.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:14 PM

We all were nuts I see......

Pellet gun fights

Tractor tubes in stubble fields - behind skidoos and 4 x 4's - 5 guys fighting to throw someone in the hole (ever get stubble rash - hurts like hell )

Doubling and wheelying down Big Lake Road on a YZ 250 for 8 miles meeting traffic

Doubling and wheelying down a cutline on a YZ 250 while the passenger has two armfulls of tent pegs under his arms ( just got reminded of this after 30 years )

Fire extinguisher fight in Dad's garage, still hearing about that one

Pulling a 5wheel ( plastic ) with a 50 ft rope behind dirt bike ( all was ok until the puller cut a short corner at 40 MPH around trees, I was the frikkin rider )

Tying up the block heater cord after school to the emblem on the hood of an old dodge rambler at 70 MPH on HWY 37...out of the passenger seat from the window.

And it could go on, but I'm getting twitchey........
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 PM

standing on the top stair of my saddle tank to take a leak, at 110 K/h with 5 sets of duelies behind that could run over me, my swamper loved it.
climbed out the passenger window on the 1 ton flatbed onto the deck going on the moyie pass ( cause I hadda take aleak) at 90 K/h
( Some will know !!) tank to tank transfer of propane with a lit cigarette some frostbite never a fire!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 PM

My Grandfather had one of those Aluminum hoppers for the bottom of the grain auger. You want to go crazy fast down a river hill this is your ride. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation saucer had nothing on our hopper. All fun and games until someone darn near lost an eye and busted his glasses. After that Grandpa was no longer in charge of the toboggan parties.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 PM

throwing lawn darts straight up in the air and then laying down. last guy to move won.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestuart View Post
throwing lawn darts straight up in the air and then laying down. last guy to move won.
definitely the way into the Darwins
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 PM

I once bench pressed a garden gnome filled with mojito juices.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:55 PM

Ex ski bum here.....

We'd do full tuck 'Chinese Downhills' 20 strong on an unlit black diamond. The sparks cast from rocks meeting edges lit the way. Still undefeated.......