Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 01:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
Should have mentioned this earier this mourning but forgot. The mayor of Calgary is now telling people to report their neighbors if they are not practing social distancing by having company over. Now maybe I am really old but that is a tactic the communist use to control theur people. It is called rat out your neighbor I learned this in school.

Some are claiming I am anti doctor and don't trust any of them. To these people I say you have not walked in my shoes so becareful how you judge me. I am just way more catious now about what doctors tell me then what I used to be. That said I don't know every one here story so if I have offended some of you I am sorry for that.
well hope we do meet to share our hardships....but I just phoned my doctors office and got booked in Monday afternoon....it was easy...got paperwork to fill out etc...doctors, medical system etc all seem in place on this side of the lake.

sometimes I sit back and watch the citizens of this nation and just shake my head....kinda like a spoiled kid at times when things don't go their way....remember there is a reason why ya got a smack upside the head growing up....kinda like now but different.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-30-2020, 02:53 PM

Thumbs down It will be remembered "differently"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
^^Give it a couple years and the story will gradually be revised so much you won't recognize it. To the point you will question your memory of these events. Unless you print and save hard copy, the new narrative will be the only information available.
It's already happening in the EU. Of particular note is the emphatic statement by the EEAS mouthpiece, Peter Stano.
https://www.politico.eu/article/chin...mation-report/
Quote:
China put pressure on EU to soften coronavirus disinformation report

One EU official said the Chinese mission to the EU had protested about the report through several diplomatic channels.

By Simon Van Dorpe, Mark Scott and Laurens Cerulus

4/25/20, 4:47 PM CET

Updated 4/25/20, 4:54 PM CET

An EU report about Chinese and Russian disinformation on coronavirus was watered down after pressure from Beijing.

Three people confirmed to POLITICO that Chinese diplomats exerted pressure on the EU to change the wording of the report, details of which were first reported in Brussels Playbook on Tuesday.

The report — on "narratives and disinformation" around the coronavirus pandemic — was finally published on Friday with heavily toned-down language on China.

Most strikingly, references to China running a "global disinformation" campaign and Chinese criticism of France's reaction to the pandemic were erased.

"Official and state-backed sources from various governments, including Russia and — to a lesser extent — China, have continued to widely target conspiracy narratives and disinformation," read the final version.

One EU official said the Chinese mission to the EU had protested about the report through several diplomatic channels.

The New York Times reported Friday about the Chinese pressure, citing an EU diplomat who wrote to colleagues that "the Chinese [were] threatening with reactions if the report comes out."

The NYT article also quoted an email from a senior adviser to the EU's top diplomat, Josep Borrell, who ordered the report be held back and "asked analysts to differentiate between pushing disinformation and aggressively pushing a narrative." An EU official who disagreed with the changes was quoted saying that the bloc's diplomats were “self-censoring to appease the Chinese Communist Party.”
One of the people POLITICO spoke with confirmed the pressure mentioned in the New York Times.

Peter Stano, a spokesperson for the European External Action Service, said Saturday that "the publications of the EEAS are categorically independent. We have never bowed to any alleged external political pressure. This includes also our latest snapshot overview on disinfo trends."

He said the New York Times article makes "ungrounded, inaccurate allegations and contains factually incorrect conclusions about the EEAS’ report," adding that "disinformation and harmful narratives can bear severe potential risks to our citizens, including to their health."
Here is the NYT link and as much of the article as I could get:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/w...ronavirus.html

Quote:
Pressured by China, E.U. Softens Report on Covid-19 Disinformation

A revised report shows how Beijing reacts swiftly and effectively to tamp down Western criticism of its pandemic response.
BRUSSELS — Bowing to heavy pressure from Beijing, European Union officials softened their criticism of China this week in a report documenting how governments push disinformation about the coronavirus pandemic, according to documents, emails and interviews.

Worried about the repercussions, European officials first delayed and then rewrote the document in ways that diluted the focus on China, a vital trading partner — taking a very different approach than the confrontational stance adopted by the Trump administration.

The initial European Union report, obtained by The New York Times, was not particularly strident: a routine roundup of publicly available information and news reports.

It cited Beijing’s efforts to curtail mentions of the virus’s origins in China, in part by blaming the United States for spreading the disease internationally. It noted that Beijing had criticized France as slow to respond to the pandemic and had pushed false accusations that French politicians used racist slurs against the head of the World Health Organization. The report also highlighted Russian efforts to promote false health information and sow distrust in Western institutions.

“China has continued to run a global disinformation campaign to deflect blame for the outbreak of the pandemic and improve its international image,” the initial report said. “Both overt and covert tactics have been observed.”

But China moved quickly to block the document’s release, and the European Union pulled back. The report had been on the verge of publication, until senior officials ordered revisions to soften the language.

“The Chinese are already threatening with reactions if the report comes out,” Lutz Güllner, a European Union diplomat, wrote to colleagues on Tuesday in an email seen by The Times.

The sentence about China’s “global disinformation” campaign was removed, as was any mention of the dispute between China and France. Other language was toned down.

The delay and revisions incited anger and frustration among some diplomats and government disinformation analysts. At least one analyst formally objected, writing to her bosses that the European Union was “self-censoring to appease the Chinese Communist Party.”

The fight over the document is part of a broad, global battle over the coronavirus narrative. And it comes at a time when the European Union hopes to win trade concessions from Beijing and restore a rich relationship once the pandemic has passed.
Chinese officials initially tried to silence doctors and play down the seriousness of the coronavirus outbreak in the city of Wuhan late last year. Eager to have the world forget that chapter, China has also tried to focus world attention on the contributions of its scientists and its worldwide donations of medical supplies.

The Trump administration has consistently blamed China for responding slowly when the virus emerged late last year and for spreading false information about the pandemic.

Even after the Trump administration reached a brief truce with the Chinese government to stop trading public barbs about the crisis, both sides have resumed their finger-pointing. President Trump said last week that his government was trying to figure out whether the virus came from a Chinese lab, while China has accused the American government of trying to distract the public from its own mistakes.

Against that backdrop, the European Union was expected to issue its report. Early Tuesday morning, Politico quoted from the document in its morning newsletter and said that the paper was expected to be published that day.

But Chinese officials quickly contacted the European Union’s representatives in Beijing to try to kill the report, according to two diplomats with knowledge of the exchange and emails recounting the calls.
The European Union, like the United States, has struggled to find a coherent approach toward combating disinformation. A task force of analysts regularly highlights foreign propaganda, but its work has been sanitized at times over political concerns.

Senior officials have softened language about Russia in the past as the bloc tried to improve relations with Moscow. A report last year on pre-election propaganda stripped out all references to Russian support for certain European political groups.

The new European Union report comes as the bloc is trying to get better treatment for its companies in China. Two-way trade was estimated at more than $1.6 billion per day before the pandemic. German automakers and French farmers, along with other industries, rely heavily on exports to China.

Peter Stano, a European Union spokesman, said Friday that the report had not been delayed. “It is ready once it is complete, cleared in an editorial process and ready to be uploaded,” he said.

On Tuesday morning, however, an email circulated inside the disinformation task force team with the subject line: “READY for publication.” A supervisor approved it and an analyst was about to publish a summary online.

But Esther Osorio, a senior adviser to the European Union’s top diplomat, Josep Borrell, ordered it held, according to an email.
While analysts say that the Kremlin’s tactics are intended to undermine confidence in Western governments, the Chinese government is focused more on reshaping its role in the coronavirus story and deflecting blame for the pandemic.

Central and Eastern Europe, in particular, are a hotbed for disinformation tactics, diplomats say. “Poland is the petri dish for Russia and China to try out their disinformation, their trolls and bots,” the American ambassador in Poland, Georgette Mosbacher, said in an interview on Thursday.

As officials in Brussels delayed publishing their report, Chinese officials in Beijing kept up the pressure with at least two high-level calls to the European representatives there, according to emails and interviews with diplomats. Chinese officials expressed alarm at the news of a coming report and urged the bloc not to release the document.

Ms. Osorio, the aide to Mr. Borell, asked analysts to revise the document to focus less explicitly on China and Russia to avoid accusations of bias, according to an email and interviews. She asked analysts to differentiate between pushing disinformation and aggressively pushing a narrative, and to document each “as we already see heavy pushback from CN" — an abbreviation for China...
Enjoy the decline.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-30-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Thank You Trochu you do understand more then some.

58thecat I am not generaly a angry person but this covid thing really has me concerned. As for the Health Authorities they have more power then our RCMP, Some day maybe we will meet and I can fill you in on the whole story.

Sundancefisher to bad you don't get sarcasm as that is what the Russian thing was. On that note though my sister is part of the Chamber of Commers in Vegerville and they were talking for some time about rules they wanted. A Russian fellow stood up and told them that we Canadians are almost as communist as Russia is. So there is how free our country is please open your eyes and quit being so blind. I see on another thread that Justin is going to start taking some of our guns away good thing that is not a loss of freedom. He is also selling KOOLAID maybe you could get some from him. As for me I think I will hold fast that what I believe maybe actualy happening. Oh and good luck with trusting everyone but me.
You live in a society where the rules are made by the majority. Sucks for you but the alternative societies are a whole lot worse imo. Seems to me you have a few choices to make.
-advocate for those politicians and parties who share your views and get some rules changed
-run for office
-leave for somewhere where you ideals are practiced
-complain on a forum
Old 04-30-2020, 03:06 PM

This thread....Jesus wept.

Enough already.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-30-2020, 04:04 PM

Wink This goes right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

Enough already.
Funny you would say that, in this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timmy.jpg (100.9 KB, 70 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-30-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

Enough already.
Amen.
Good news from the province today
https://globalnews.ca/news/6888183/a...irus-april-30/
Old 04-30-2020, 05:43 PM

Flatlandliver good to hear you are down with what your hero has planned for friday. My question is will you be the first or second guy in line handing in his guns. After all this is a new rule that the masses want so it must be ok I wish you the best.

I am a little confused by comments on the last page is Russia communist or not. If you guys are going to laugh at me make sure you get your stoires straight. On that note when a guy from Russia tells you how you have no freedom I think us Canadians should wake up and smell the coffee.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Flatlandliver good to hear you are down with what your hero has planned for friday. My question is will you be the first or second guy in line handing in his guns. After all this is a new rule that the masses want so it must be ok I wish you the best.

I am a little confused by comments on the last page is Russia communist or not. If you guys are going to laugh at me make sure you get your stoires straight. On that note when a guy from Russia tells you how you have no freedom I think us Canadians should wake up and smell the coffee.

Yeah, it’s the, if the masses are doing it it must be good attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:

My hero?
Seriously, you have no idea.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:10 PM

Yeah Gade81 we should follow the masses for sure.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Nailed it 😁

Dodger
Amazing how these guys crawl out from under the rocks.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-30-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Lol. Quite the post. Maybe cut back a bit on the Clorox. You think a communist country has a better life than us you are very wrong. I have been to one of those places and in no way is it better.

Last edited by Jigsalot; 04-30-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Lol. Quite the post. Make cut back a bit on the Clorox.
You think a communist country has a better life than us you are very wrong.
I have been to one of those places and in no way is it better.
I think it was Sarcasm...
Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I think it was Sarcasm...
Let’s hope so. 😄. But you never know.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:49 PM

Is Jigsalot real name Sheldon Cooper.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:41 PM

I do not think a communist country has more freedom. What I was saying was the guy from a communist country can clearly see where we are headed. If that is funny and far fetched to you then you have a bigger problem then me.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:55 PM

Is Russia still communist, I was under the impression that communism does still exist (parties and what not)in Russia but, I thought they didn’t follow that ideology anymore, am I wrong?
Old 04-30-2020, 08:59 PM

If someone knows please chime in, many of you are referring to Russia as communist but I honestly thought this wasn’t the case anymore, I would like to learn! Sorry for derailing!!

Last edited by morinj; 04-30-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Is Russia still communist, I was under the impression that communism does still exist (parties and what not)in Russia but, I thought they didn’t follow that ideology anymore, am I wrong?
No communist countries left

China is communal fascist
Russia is an oligarchy dictatorship
Cuba is a ranching patriarchal socialist dictatorship
North Korea is a patriarchal socialist dictatorship
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-30-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
No communist countries left

China is communal fascist
Russia is an oligarchy dictatorship
Cuba is a ranching patriarchal socialist dictatorship
North Korea is a patriarchal socialist dictatorship
Thank you Sundancefisher, I figured just as much, but had to second guess myself, I would hate to be involved in a conversation with any of the nice Russian folks I work with and call them a communist!
Old 04-30-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I do not think a communist country has more freedom. What I was saying was the guy from a communist country can clearly see where we are headed. If that is funny and far fetched to you then you have a bigger problem then me.

No worries, I think most of us got it. There’s some here can’t understand much. Forgive them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 05:24 AM

Default Wow....wow

WOW.... I think we have a few guy's posting here that their cheese has slipped off their cracker......... self isolation is taking it's toll

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
WOW.... I think we have a few guy's posting here that their cheese has slipped off their cracker......... self isolation is taking it's toll
Ok this is funny sh## ^^^

Dodger
Old 05-01-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
There never was a cracker.....

Or cheese.....just an idiot....self isolated....

A bit too long........

Old 05-01-2020, 06:14 AM
Banned

Default Can we still say "retarded?"

What ever happened to the moderator who was musing about ditching all the contributors to this general page who are without a single meaningful thing to say in the sections that are the reason for the existence of this magazine and forum; outdoors doesn't mean standing at the curb waiting for a bus.

There ought to be a serious purge of non-members and we really should get back to our roots. Seems to me some of the long winded, many thousands of posts authors have stopped outdoors activities except, maybe, their love of camo clothing and gun rights are getting just as unrealistic as some of the mutts who have 500 comments in less than 4 months

As the yutes are fond of muttering- "just saying."

Free
Old 05-01-2020, 07:36 AM

Default Enough Already!

Clean up the discussion and keep it to relevant facts or I'll shut it down and start handing out penalties or Bans! No trolling, derailing or flaming others for their opinions. Comprende'
Leo,
Old 05-01-2020, 07:51 AM
Banned

Interesting to note Cargill has over 600 workers recovered within a week out of 908 positive, a truly remarkable achievment. Meanwhile in Calgary retirement home that's on an outbreak has been assigned 16 ahs registered nurses last weekend. According to full time workers are reporting no ahs personel is present at the facility.

Bo rem eww
Old 05-01-2020, 08:00 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=spartandhp

hmmm if you turn a blind eye on this or act like this beauty...Tropical Trump....imagine if the real Trump was to run amuck.....

Old 05-01-2020, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Interesting to note Cargill has over 600 workers recovered within a week out of 908 positive, a truly remarkable achievment. Meanwhile in Calgary retirement home that's on an outbreak has been assigned 16 ahs registered nurses last weekend. According to full time workers are reporting no ahs personel is present at the facility.

Bo rem eww
The recovery rate is relative to the persons infected. For younger, healthier people this is just a flu, sick for a few days then on with life. Others who have a compromised immune system this virus is a bit more of a battle to fight off.

I still say our best move would have been to quarantine the weak and elderly and allowed the rest of society to continue on life as normal with the exception of visiting elderly friends and relatives, just have their food delivered. It would allow the herd immunity to safely happen while allowing the economy to continue and protect our vulnerable population.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:05 AM

Myself and my family have not and most likely will not be affected by the virus.
But we all sure have been affected by the pandemic. I have a large extended family and nobody has or has had the virus.

My neighbours wife’s Mom’s cousin saw someone on the news that has it though I’m told....