Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2010, 12:55 PM

Default What is your choice gun for backpacking/hiking/protection?

I carry a remington 870 marine magnum loaded with 3inch slugs and buckshot. Was thinking of getting into a marlin guide gun in 4570. Have had a few run ins with bears last year,(never had to shoot, luckily they were far enough away or would just run away) and I am always thinkn if my shotty is enough protection. Just wondering what you guys carry while in the bush?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Depends on my mood

#1 - Marlin 45/70 Guide gun
#2 - Mossberg Maverick shotgun - loaded with SSG, Buckshot/slug alternating

the Marlin goes nicely with my hiking hat...
Old 02-20-2010, 01:06 PM

If it's purely for bear protection then I think you're covered IMO.

One thing I make sure of is that I've got a slug or two as the first two shots.....almost ain't nothin' worse than firing off a warning shot and hittin' the beasty

tm
Old 02-20-2010, 01:08 PM

12g semi auto shotgun with 3inch mag slugs.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:12 PM

I've been thinking about this myself a bit and came to the conclusion that any quality gun with good open sights and enough mass to break bones would be good. If you can find his book, Gary Shelton has a significant amout to say about this. He trained Ministry of Forests personell, timber cruisers, COs, Park Officials and Dept of Fisheries and Oceans in B.C. during 80s-2000. Basically he says 30 -06 or up, best bullets you can get. Animal rights activest don't like what he has to say. Protection of humans first and then respect of the bear next is his view.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:16 PM

a huge can of Bear scare , its quicker faster and safer,try and get yer rifle out of a scaboard, or unsling it load it and be acurate,under stress, and 9 outa 10 people miss, the bear scare is proven faster safer, and more practical,
but if i had a choice of guns I,d probly get a 45-70 guide rifle,
Old 02-20-2010, 01:24 PM

45/70 marlin guide gun with leupold prismatic scope
Old 02-20-2010, 01:28 PM

1. Bear spray......nice and light.
2. Mossberg 500 Defender........little bit heavier
3. Marlin 444.........alot heavier.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-20-2010, 01:52 PM

I did some research myself as well.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=18962

I'd like to get a 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun.

I currently have a Norinco HP9 12ga. with 14" Barrel.

I always carry bear spray. Once in a while if it's legal (not in the parks etc.) I take the shotgun.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:23 PM

I also carry bear spray and i make sure the wife does to. When we are out having a weenie roast, walking in woods or by river we try to stay away from the beatin path. So my shotgun comes for the ride. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. We have run into to many bears to not bring it . JMO. Oh and i love to practice with the slugs as my rifle cools in between groups. Keeps me occupied.lol
Old 02-20-2010, 03:09 PM

I carry a Mossberg J.I.C. I like the waterproof tube that it came in. I don't carry bear spray as I have always figured it was just added flavor OF ME That being said I have been looking into getting a Marlin guide gun in a 45/70.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:27 PM

I have a marlin xlr in 45/70, that should do quite nicely!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:36 PM

Was lookin at a Dominion Arm Outlaw for that purpose

Other than that i preferr a bit of common sense, goes a long way, I preferr to go unarmed in all my outings, maybe a camp gun though.
I dont fear bears, i have had a close encounter with a grizz in BC. It wanted nothing to do with me.

A guy i know was attacked last year by a grizz when it stormed their tent in the middle of the night and chomped the both of them up a bit.
His gun was useless in this situation.

Common sense is the bet bear defense, they are not out to eat us.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
1. Bear spray......nice and light.
2. Mossberg 500 Defender........little bit heavier
3. Marlin 444.........alot heavier.
I think your number system is back wards..
Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 PM

When I lived in Alaska the most popular self defense for the big bears was a 12gauge. Put a couple 00 buck and a few slugs in it and you were pretty much good to go. Its always better to have a weapon and not need to use it then need to use it and not have it.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 AM

Yes, I always add Bear Spray to my belt...you can react pretty quick with it and it does not add flavour....just spray a shot into an oncoming wind and you won't be thinking pepperoni pizza....Most shoot a good stream 30ft or more....great for areas where firearms are prohibited and also in groups...not everyone (ie the wife) wants to drag along a firearm.

Pepper Spray along with:
=Marlin 45/70 guide gun or
=Maverick 12g with slugs/buckshot
and a really good sharp knife....I like to wear my 7" Ka-Bar knife as well (or one of my others)....good for cutting apples or.....
Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 AM

This is from another site. Sort of gives you a new look at bear spray.

Quote:
As some of you know, I am a criminal lawyer practicing in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley. I have clients who get charged with these kinds of offences all the time. There is nothing rare or unusual about people being charged with (and convicted of) criminal offences relating to dog and bear spray. I just had a young guy two weeks ago who was charged with possession of brass knuckles (a prohibited weapon, so s. 92(2) of the Code); possession (of brass knuckles) for a purpose dangerous to the public peace (s. 88(1)); carrying a concealed weapon (brass knuckles) (s. 90(1)); possession (of bear spray) for a purpose dangerous to the public peace (s. 88(1)); and carrying a concealed weapon (bear spray) (s. 90(1)).

There was a live debate (in B.C. anyway) pre-2004 as to whether dog and bear spray were prohibited weapons or not. This was settled by the B.C. Court of Appeal in the following case:
http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcca/doc...04bcca139.html
The "punchline" is at para. 20:
"What is prohibited is an item designed to be used to incapacitate humans; that the substance in both types of canister may be used to incapacitate humans is immaterial."
This has generally been interpreted to mean, essentially, if it says "dog" or "bear" on the can, it is not prohibited. However, there is very little (probably no) doubt that it meets the definition of "weapon" in law - so you cannot possess it for a purpose dangerous to the public peace, you can't carry it conceled, and if you ever use it on someone you had better hope that you have a real clear cut and compelling self-defence story to tell the judge (and be believed).

So you can see that, in the eyes of Crown counsel at least, the difference between brass knuckles (which are clearly prohibited) and "bear spray"/"dog spray" is one less charge (they can't charge you with s. 92(2) prohibited weapon, but they will charge you with other offences). "for a purpose dangerous to the public peace" is an element of the offence under s. 88(1) that must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, as is "weapon", as is "concealed" under s. 90(1). Having said that, these charges are sworn all the time. Arguements can be raised, but I have found that judges here in B.C. have very little time for the kinds of explanations people want to give for why they were carrying around dog/bear spray with them (on the bus/sky train, out late at night, at school, at the mall, or really in most places).

In practical terms, the only arguements that are going to have much success in these cases are applications under the Charter alleging that evidence (the dog/bear spray) was obtained (by police) in a manner that violated your Charter rights (generally, sections 8 and/or 9).

My general advice... in the woods, where there are real bears, take your bear spray. No problem. Carry it openly on your belt or the outside of your pack though. If there is a problem with a dog in your neighbourhood... keep some spray around if you like, but DO NOT carry it concealed. Having a weapon like bear spray in a backpack or other bag, even one that you are not presently carrying, is a gray area. (i.e., bear spray in a backpack under the seat in your car, or in a bag beside you in your car, etc.). You may not agree with this, Lord knows I don't, but Crown counsel have their own interpretations of the law, just like we do, and sometimes they get judges to go along with them. Personally I advise people to stay the hell away from these gray areas. It's just not worth it guys. As firearms owners, if you get charged with something like this police will likely seize your firearms and you will be in the fight of your life to ever get them back. If you are convicted you will be prohibited from possessing weapons (of any kind, including firearms) for a period of time and you will lose your licence. It is just not worth it. Whether we agree with these laws or not, whether it offends our personal philosphy of liberty (or whatever)... just keep in mind that you will get nowhere with any of that in court.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:21 AM

Thumbs up bear deterrant

Marlin 45/70 guide gun, ghost ring sites and a hard cast 405 grain gas checked bullet barn bullet being pushed by 40 grains of imr 4198, penetrates and breaks them down fast
Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
I think your number system is back wards..
Haven't had the triple out yet gramps. Soon. How bout you?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM

This gun is more for backpacking and hiking just to have around not so much for protection. It is my 410/45. I can shoot it as a 410 shotgun or I can run a 300 grain 45 cal at about 1500fps. Its a fun gun to shoot and play with and a great gun for a camping trip. It is a little light for taking into big big bear country but I am here in MB and it will do not a bad job on a black bear and can shoot a grouse for dinner as well. Great quad gun as well.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
A guy i know was attacked last year by a grizz when it stormed their tent in the middle of the night and chomped the both of them up a bit.
His gun was useless in this situation.
There's a bear that needs edgumacating, and perhaps the campers as well. Were they following good camp cleanliness rules, or was this just a bear that needs to be thinned from the gene pool?
Old 02-21-2010, 04:08 PM

I would definately choose a marlin 45-70! it has way more power than any twelve gauge slug for about the same amount of recoil. and personally i plan to buy a 45-70 for my bow hunting expiditions, and mabey the odd coyote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

The U.S. Forest Service concluded that a .338 WM is the best for close in bears. Their test involved quite a few factors, but the bottom line was first shot massive tissue damage and the ability inflict missed or extra tissue damage given the very small time requirement where reloading is a requirement.

Don't get me wrong, the 45-70 was right up there with the .338, but the humble 12 guage slug was about 10 on the list.

The 35, Whelen also performed quite well.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
Marlin 45/70 guide gun, ghost ring sites and a hard cast 405 grain gas checked bullet barn bullet being pushed by 40 grains of imr 4198, penetrates and breaks them down fast
X2, except mine a powered by 48 grains of RL-7!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM

It's like a Aircraft carrier battle group, rings of defense....

-Marlin 1895 450M
-bear spray
-knife with at least a six inch blade

Best to not get too close... easier said than done sometimes... darn near stepped on a bear once

Cheers, G.

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM

I would add a Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag if the law allowed it...
Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter55 View Post
I would add a Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag if the law allowed it...
Sorry, your betters in the media, law schools etc know that you cannot be trusted with that.

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM

I rarely pack anything while alone and not hunting. And when I bow hunt, I never pack a gun or bear spray of any kind. I have packed while hiking with friends and then I pack either a can of bear spray and bear bangers and/ or my Ruger #1 .375 H&H. 20" barrel w/ 1.5- 5X Leupold. Extra rounds on the butt.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Over the years I have carried a shortened 303 British, 12 gauge Rem 870's with 18 1/2"/14"/8.5" barrels then Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 and now I carry a 21" barreled Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM.

260gr Accubonds = 3023fps
300gr Partitions/A-Frames = 2730fps

I just ordered the brand new Barnes 350gr .375" TSX should have them in a few weeks thinking I will load them to 2400fps.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
Over the years I have carried a shortened 303 British, 12 gauge Rem 870's with 18 1/2"/14"/8.5" barrels then Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 and now I carry a 21" barreled Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM.

260gr Accubonds = 3023fps
300gr Partitions/A-Frames = 2730fps

I just ordered the brand new Barnes 350gr .375" TSX should have them in a few weeks thinking I will load them to 2400fps.

Nice l'il gun! I like the scope options as well. Though ultramag velocities wouldn't be my choice for close in work on bears. But I'd rather be behind the gun and not in front of it when it goes off. I'm sure it'll work just fine!