Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 PM

Default CZ 858 now prohib

Apparently those bastards have prohibed any cz858 manufactured after 2007.
we need to put an end to this
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 PM

Rob I personally think the " bastards" are hedging their bets and jumping on the Trudeau train. Knowing full well any legeslation to reverse these decisions will be all but lost in an election year . That's my guess court orders and promenading but the RC higher ups are just gun grabbers , their going to keep Rollin. Renew the NfA and a*** memberships , send emails . What else is there? Civil unrest ? Not likley. I said in an earlier post all gun ranges may want to revue thier rental agreements with RCMP using the range, cut off access to the organization , but not boots on the ground members .

AO filter does not like A*** acronym .... A***!

How in the hell am I supposed to post Alberta Fish and Game with out spelling A***!!! F***ing ridiculous
Old 02-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Apparently those bastards have prohibed any cz858 manufactured after 2007.
we need to put an end to this
I'm all ears, what's YOUR plan?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
How in the hell am I supposed to post Alberta Fish and Game with out spelling A***!!! F***ing ridiculous
AFGA? http://www.afga.org/
Old 02-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Rob I personally think the " bastards" are hedging their bets and jumping on the Trudeau train. Knowing full well any legeslation to reverse these decisions will be all but lost in an election year.
Another way of looking at it is that the RCMP just handed Harper another issue for his election platform. After all, abolishing the LGR helped to get him elected and he could turn this issue around in his favour.

Headlines......"Harper goes to bat for law abiding gun owners and takes on the gun grabbing RCMP!"
Old 03-01-2014, 12:16 AM

I own guns, I enjoy owning guns, I enjoy using guns. I'm like everyone else, I don't like the idea of the government telling us what we can and cannot have however, why does anyone need an AK-47 style clone in Canada? I'm sure it's fun to shoot but there really is no need of civilians to own assault rifles. It isn't practical for hunting and the other big excuse is home defense. Where I come from home defense is to protect yourself from hungry bears, and shotguns have been doing the trick for a hundred years.

If this gun, and the other one that was recently prohibited (that swiss arms rifle) were prohibited from the get go, would it be as big of a deal?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:18 AM

But I should at least say, it would be more appropriate if when they prohibited a firearm that they grandfather in people who already own them and make it prohibited from this point out.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhughe View Post
I own guns, I enjoy owning guns, I enjoy using guns. I'm like everyone else, I don't like the idea of the government telling us what we can and cannot have however, why does anyone need an AK-47 style clone in Canada? I'm sure it's fun to shoot but there really is no need of civilians to own assault rifles. It isn't practical for hunting and the other big excuse is home defense. Where I come from home defense is to protect yourself from hungry bears, and shotguns have been doing the trick for a hundred years.

If this gun, and the other one that was recently prohibited (that swiss arms rifle) were prohibited from the get go, would it be as big of a deal?
Why is it not practical for hunting? Because it doesn't look like your hunting rifle? They are just as accurate if not more so than most of the shot out lee Enfields out there. And btw, it isn't an assault rifle.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
why does anyone need an AK-47 style clone in Canada?
If you are talking about the CZ, it is most definitely not an AK-47 style clone.

Apart from that. Why do people need Corvettes? They might go too fast and kill someone. Better to drive an Impala, it's all you need.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 AM

Why own a car that does 250 kmph and only drive it in 50 zones? Take it to the race track and work it.

I'm sure the 858 have a purpose and I might be wrong but I bet CZ doesn't market them as a hunting rifle. If you want to use an assault rifle join the army and use it for what it was meant for.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Why own a car that does 250 kmph and only drive it in 50 zones? Take it to the race track and work it.

I'm sure the 858 have a purpose and I might be wrong but I bet CZ doesn't market them as a hunting rifle. If you want to use an assault rifle join the army and use it for what it was meant for.
An 858 is by no stretch of the imagination an 'assault' rifle. The term assault was coined by the media, probably taken from 'AR' AR actually stands for Armalite rifle. Armalite was the original manufacturer. If anything, an 'assault' rifle is a select fire/full auto machine gun.

CZ markets the 858 as a sporting rifle: http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/327-we...and-sport.aspx

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 03-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Banned

Quote:

You are opening a can of worms, not sure if it's on purpose or not though.

First of all, it's not an assault rifle as you described it. It is a semi automatic rifle. There are many different types of semi automatic rifles and this is just one of them. I personally don't own one but I do own a ruger 10/22 and an auto loading shotgun. They're not the same caliber and they don't have the same design but they all have the same characteristics because they are all semi automatic. Are you saying that all semi automatic rifles and guns should be prohibited or just the ones that look like assault type ones to you?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:38 AM

I'm not trying to rile everyone up, I'm just voicing my opinion. I'm well aware of the term "assault rifle" and while this may not be a full auto rifle was it not originally designed as a battle rifle? These Canadian 858 are just semi auto versions of that? At least that's how I see it. There was already a post on here about them http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=28474 and ironically, someone was cautious not to buy one because of the concern it may become prohibited. It also seemed to be a consensus that it wasn't very useful for hunting or protection. And at that time anyway, it was apparently difficult to get 7.62 rounds that weren't full metal jackets. It seems to me that if you have concerned that a gun might become prohibited at some point, it probably isn't worth the hassle of owning. It is unfortunate if it does come to losing money on them but life's a bitch and then you die.

And there's no denying it's similar in appearance to an AK.

Maybe I'm not a fan of them because I never really see them used for any real purpose. I'll admit, I am cheap and most of my target shooting I do at the Homestead range, and I've seen a few out there (And by no means am I saying this is everyone who owns one), but the people I have seen with them didn't particularly seem interested in target shooting or hunting with them. One example was a fellow who had an entire duffle bag of those banana clips, all pinned at 5 shots. He came out, and just sprayed at the back stop until all his clips were empty and then he left. To each his own, but if that's all some people want this gun for then it seems like a waste anyway.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't see any real civilian use outside of plinking.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't see any real civilian use outside of plinking.
So banning them is no big deal? Most 22lrs in my collection are just plinkers. Should they be banned? I don't really need them for hunting.

Sport-shooting, including spraying out 5rd mags, at the range, is perfectly legit isn't it?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:46 AM

Banning any gun right now is just one step closer to banning them all every inch we give is an inch closer to losing our rights its not about how usefull one rifle is from another its a paranoid force if idiots trying to justify their idiodic ideals of saftey instead of spending time on the real problems in this country but oh wait its to much work to catch real criminals lets pic on lawful citizens and their possesions
Old 03-01-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:

People like you are a huge part of the problem. You don't own one and don't think it necessary so therefore who cares if the RCMP takes them away? Someday when they come for your hunting rifle and call it a "sniper rifle" please remember when you threw others under the bus.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:20 AM

Mike you're insinuating that the only valid reason to own a firearm in Canada is for hunting. Is shooting targets not a valid reason also? If it is then why does it matter what the rifle looks like? The CZ is sure fun at the range, you might ask why do people need a 858, well nobody really needs any firearms, why not buy your meat from the store? Fact is we need to respect all firearms owners and all firearms and stand united. First they go for the 858, then it's not Mich of a stretch to grab the BAR, then next it's your Weatherby.

Repealing this decision is not enough, nothing stops them from doing it again the the future for all firearms.

Bill C-68 needs to be completely scrapped.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve07 View Post
Hey that makes sense, I was a little worked up over l the BS couldn't see the forest for the trees....
Old 03-01-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:

My vote for the most ridiculous post of the year. I don't think the police need to have anything that I can't have either. When the RCMP bang on your door an confiscate anything and everything you have will you be satisfied? This has little to do with guns, it's a bigger issue.

Keep thinking the government and police know what's best for you. There are plenty of mass graves located all over the world full of people that had the same exact thoughts.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Alcohol and tobacco kill more Canadians every year than firearms, they have no practical purpose, yet they are not prohibited. It's not about whether a person "needs" a product, it's simply that the RCMP are now bypassing our government, and drafting laws, instead of simply enforcing laws, as they were mandated to do.

Quote:
My vote for the most ridiculous post of the year.
It's certainly in the running.

He doesn't consider it a big deal if they ban the military style semi autos, that other Canadians own, but you can bet that he will whine and cry when the RCMP continues their rampage and prohibits the firearms that he paid to own.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 AM

Gun owners are the last people who should be judging each other on what the other guy keeps in his safe....division divides you know....

LC
Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Gun owners are the last people who should be judging each other on what the other guy keeps in his safe....division divides you know....

LC
Exactly!! We need unity now more than ever.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM

We definitely have to stand united. Any and all gun owners should be more active and less reactive. Think of that the next time you vote. I believe the same thing as everyone else it will start with one a Swiss than the CZ than it will be a bolt. Just because you may not own that type don't jump on the same band wagon as the rest of the Anti's.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Throwing your fellow gun owners under the bus.. Nice one.

I don't like the idea of the government telling us what we can and cannot have Which is why you as a Canadian citizen have to stand up for others rights and freedoms as well as your own.

Last edited by west250; 03-01-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to rile everyone up, I'm just voicing my opinion. I'm well aware of the term "assault rifle" and while this may not be a full auto rifle was it not originally designed as a battle rifle? These Canadian 858 are just semi auto versions of that? At least that's how I see it.
If you are aware of what the term "assault rifle" is, then why use it in the context that you are? You did call it an assault rifle in previous posts and using it the way that you have it does appear to me that are trying to rile people up.
A 303 British, 7x57 Mauser, 6.5x55 Swede, Springfield 30-06, 7.62x39 SKS, just to name a few, all were originally designed for the battle field and today all are used for hunting and other shooting disciplines. Take look at your own guns (if you own any) and check out the history of them. While your doing this you will see what a particular caliber LOOKED like when it was a battle rifle. You can still buy that same rifle today. If you don't have any of those calibers I'm sure you will learn something.
The two semi automatics were moved from non restricted and restricted to prohibited with the same pen that allowed them into the country. Obviously someone dropped the ball some where.
From reading your previous posts it is my opinion that you are part of the problem, not the solution.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Default Don't be a FUDD!!

There has been some talk of banning military weapons. Let me put in perspective some of what can fall into that category. Rem Mod 700. Rem 870, Mossberg 500, Lee Enfield .303, Pre 70 Winchester. All of these have been or are currently being used by the military. Don't be a Fudd. Government and the RCMP paint with a pretty wide brush. To feed them one gun in hopes that they will leave you alone with yours is chicken ****!!!!! Its all fine if you don't own one of those guns targeted. Maybe because I own and shoot mostly single shots I should jump on the band wagon for getting rid of anything capable of holding more than one cartridge or maybe has a thumbhole stock. Not so funny anymore is it. By gun owners splitting up and having the "every rat for themselves mentality" just makes it easier to push this **** through. Sorry for my language I buffered it as much as I could but hopefully you get my passion for shooting and firearms. Maybe if more had this passion we wouldn't be where we are today with these laws.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:21 AM

Why not would the SKS be next . Hmmmm..........
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 AM

I have an opportunity to go work in Texas this spring, I may just stay there.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:

And that is enough reason if it where the only you are starting to sound like an RCMP or ex member same narrowminded outlook on our freedoms. Should i take away your 5 wood from your golf bag because you dont really need it and i think it looks dangerous call me ol fashion but you only need 3 clubs to play
Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 AM

Default First they came for....

This doesn't affect me "directly" either, but just wait till someone bans Dodge trucks older than 2010! (for example) Bureaucrats need to enforce laws, not make them. I support removing the RCMP as Brian Lilly states here for several reasons.
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/3272438235001
"If anyone from PETA is reading this, I hope you hit a moose on the highway in your smartcar. I love animals; they're delicious. And I hope when you have children, they turn out just like me." Huntinstuff