Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default The ultimate screw over.

I hear alot of guys making posts who are mad about unreliable hunting partners but this one takes the cake.

A few weeks ago I wanted to a canoe hunt for elk on the opening weekend but needed a partner. I made a post on AO and found a guy who seemed interested. We talked in detail about the trip and I did my best to make it clear what I had in mind. "Camp at the put in point friday, spend a night on the river camped out of the canoe for a night, get to the takeout point on sunday night." This is the exact line I used on several ocasions, pretty simple. I was suplying all the gear and because the guy was already hunting in the Hinton area I told him I'd out there and meet him, pretty much I did all the work and all he had to do was show up.

Friday I get ahold of him, yep the hunt is still a go, so I make the 5 hour drive from Slave Lake to Hinton and meet up with him. We drive to the takeout point and I start making some room in my packed truck for him. All the sudden he starts stressing out over leaving his truck (nothing special) unatended for 2 days. I dont realy say anything and wait for him to start loading whatever gear he has into my truck and wonder why he waited untill now to bring this up. I go over to help with his gear and can smell the unmistakable scent of pot smoke wafting from his truck, at this point he tells me that he's not going to be coming after all but that he will come and pick me up on Sunday night if I want to do it myself. I have no problem doing a river trip by myself but I've known this guy for roughly 15 minuits and he's already screwed me over HARD! Like hell I'm counting on an unreliable stoner with utterly no sense of decency to come back in two days and pick me up. At this point I'm stunned but the rage is starting to build so I say whatever, gently encourage him to leave before I go ape **** which is about to happen pretty quick. He drives off and I sit in my truck for a couple minuits as my hands start shaking and I begin to hyperventilate cause I'm getting so mad! On the way in he drove super slow down the oil roads, so at this point I figure I should catch up with him and give him a peice of my mind, fortunatly he had wisely beat it out of there a heck of a lot faster than he came in and I never found him.

I tryed hunting the next day but I was to tired and mad to enjoy it so I ended up going home. Lucky too because this clown had called my work phone (I called him from this phone so he assumed it was my number). After the BS he pulled I thought he would have had the sense to stay clear of me but apparently not. Since I was hunting he got ahold of a co-worker of mine. He asked where I was, then told my co-worker that he had no idea where I was, neglecting to mention that he had met me the night before and then ditched me. So my co-worker called my wife and by the time I got home the two were about to call the cops and send them looking for me.

At this point my co-worker admits that because the guy's number was dialed on the work phone he had thought it would be funny to text him pretending to be me and try to convince him that I was gay, this is the conversation that he showed me.

Co-worker: Theres no sense in both of us bringing sleeping bags, I've got one that will fit two people. I'll just bring it to save weight.
Hunting partner: Uhhhh I dunno, mines pretty light. Have you left yet?
Co-worker: Just looking for my camo spandex thong, cant leave without my lucky "G" string.
Hunting partner: Lol, sounds good.

So at this point I have a little easyer time understanding why things happened the way they did, the poor guy probably thought he was going to get molested. Regardless of what his concern was, truck, dope, being molested, or otherwise he should have said somthing before I drove all night to get to Hinton. Please dont ever try to contact me again, you know who you are.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Post the name....seems that would be the best thing to save anyone any time or energy on this loser.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Get the POS addresss and mail him copies of the movie's DELIVERANCE an BROKE BACK MOUNTAIN.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Thats to bad that you got screwed over like that, sorry to hear, well at least you know who not to trust anymore and can block them now.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 PM

Man oh man.....I don't know what is crazier....the guy who was going to go hunting, or what must have been going through his head with what your co-worker texted to him.....thats some funny stuff right there....

LC
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 PM

hahhahah thats hilarious... camo thong
Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 PM

Default Sorry to hear

Yea man that sucks, its a long drive and to be excited for the hunt only for that to happen. On a lighter note I met up with a guy on saturday morning, turns out to be a great guy, and a very possible long term hunting partner. I hope that if you do end up meeting a different hunting partner, it goes much better
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM

It could have turned out worse with what your coworker did.. You could have been the prey...LMAO
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM

LOL. This SixShooter guy sounds like a leech...nothing like a joint to start off the morning elk hunt eh bud?? what a loser......
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 PM

I would never HUNT with someone I did not know decently well or who did not have a good friend of mine vouch for him. EVER. I definitely would not do a bush trip with someone I did not know very, very well.

This is a best case scenario of how screwed you could have been. You need to have some trust in your partner if going on a back country trip. Some random stoner you met online does not qualify in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM

That was immensely generous of you to make the initial offer, sorry to hear the other person didn't pull their end.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 PM

That is a messed up story. I saw your post and had committed to a different hunt already because I would of loved to join an experienced river hunter for a chance at some elk. I doubt the gay jokes drove the guy away because anyone in their right mind would of known someone was kidding with the g string comment.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Banned

Hey... your co-worker needs a smack in the head to.
Whats next?
Fake texts from your "girlfriend" to cause you trouble at home?

You got boned by a couple of jerks there I'd say.
He could have at least let the guy off the hook after he had his fun.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

Before you crucify the guy (Im not him and I dont know him) keep in mind he figgered he was meetin up with a turd burgaler eh? Id bolt too lol.....
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildnFree View Post
Before you crucify the guy (Im not him and I dont know him) keep in mind he figgered he was meetin up with a turd burgaler eh? Id bolt too lol.....
If I was uncomfortable with the meeting, I'd at least tell the guy so he didn't drive 5 hours for nothing.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am not mad at the guy for pulling out of the hunt, I can understand that part of it given the circomstances and I had quite a few other hunts that I could have done by myself. What I am mad about was that I spent a week getting things ready and ten hours and a couple hundred bucks in fuel going to Hinton and back for no reason. The absolute biggest ****off is that this year I've been insanely buisy, I'm building an addition on my house, putting a new motor in my truck, welding a deck for another truck, millwrighting full time, and to top it off my wife is working out of town for a bit so I am also a single parent to my 20 month old daughter for much of this fall. I got caught up enough that I could take a weekend off and go hunting and this is how I spent that weekend. Most of this could have been prevented if the guy would have just said he didnt want to do the hunt before I drove to Hinton.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I am not mad at the guy for pulling out of the hunt, I can understand that part of it given the circomstances and I had quite a few other hunts that I could have done by myself. What I am mad about was that I spent a week getting things ready and ten hours and a couple hundred bucks in fuel going to Hinton and back for no reason. The absolute biggest ****off is that this year I've been insanely buisy, I'm building an addition on my house, putting a new motor in my truck, welding a deck for another truck, millwrighting full time, and to top it off my wife is working out of town for a bit so I am also a single parent to my 20 month old daughter for much of this fall. I got caught up enough that I could take a weekend off and go hunting and this is how I spent that weekend. Most of this could have been prevented if the guy would have just said he didnt want to do the hunt before I drove to Hinton.
True, he coulda handled it a whole lot better. Certainly not your fault by any stretch.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
True, he coulda handled it a whole lot better. Certainly not your fault by any stretch.
Yup the guy was still a jerk.
If he'd had the gonads to just spit out his concerns...it could have ended with a laugh instead of your whole hunt being ruined.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Sorry to hear that you got screwed over Cal. I was looking forward to reading on here how the hunt went for you and whoever was lucky enough to tag along.

Hopefully you can find some free time again before the season is over. Sounds like you deserve a break.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:15 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Why the camo thong? I heard you can't see it anyways... jj.

Electronic Impersonation is something I've fired someone for-completely unacceptable.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 AM

That's crappy, but all I know is I would be getting the co-worker back. Maybe something like a kijiji ad of something real popular at a good price with his phone #. Just my suggestion. Pay back is a b****.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
That's crappy, but all I know is I would be getting the co-worker back. Maybe something like a kijiji ad of something real popular at a good price with his phone #. Just my suggestion. Pay back is a b****.
Good idea.

i had problems with a guy once so put his truck up for sale in Buy Sell a few years ago.
The ad ran for 3 weeks and once it is printed...it can't be pulled.

It read.

2005 Tacoma
Must sell, $4000 dollars obo
Shift worker, call between midnight and 5 AM.
Name
Number.

He got so many calls... he changed his number....lol
Old 09-29-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Yup the guy was still a jerk.
If he'd had the gonads to just spit out his concerns...it could have ended with a laugh instead of your whole hunt being ruined.
Yup, except for the dope smoking part . THAT would have been a deal breaker for me right there.
I would have said something right off the bat about Cal bringing only one sleeping bag for two guys - ain't happenin'!!
Sorry about the messed up weekend , Cal.....
Cat
Old 09-29-2011, 07:10 AM

come on you blame the guy, hes getting homosexual messages sent to him...i think if i was you i would be having a serious conversation with your co worker,, that chits not funnie,,this thread is a reason i dont do anything with people i dont no, especially from a forum. im not saying there aint great people on this forum im just stating you can get burnned....... I meet enough people on the lake or at the river to entertain me or help out.

and i tell ya even no marijuana is illegal i would accept it more than a guy who drinks a 40 pounder before lunch any day.... Been there seen it all.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post

and i tell ya even no marijuana is illegal i would accept it more than a guy who drinks a 40 pounder before lunch any day.... Been there seen it all.
That would be just as big a deal breaker for me as well as dope.

The guy should have said something as soon as he got the text if he wanted to bail, regardless of the circumstances.....
Cat
Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 AM

Yah you got screwed over X2......first one was the co-worker then the dude who had the pot was the second offender.....I did read your original thread and I think it said no booze or drugs? but I could be wrong on that.

Its a shame how it ended up either way...

LC
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM

I dunno... when you factor in the texts.... some guys get super freaked out about that. I'd give your co-worker a hard kick in the &#^#@*. He doesn't know the situation or guy, that's stepping way over the line.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Good idea.

i had problems with a guy once so put his truck up for sale in Buy Sell a few years ago.
The ad ran for 3 weeks and once it is printed...it can't be pulled.

It read.

2005 Tacoma
Must sell, $4000 dollars obo
Shift worker, call between midnight and 5 AM.
Name
Number.

He got so many calls... he changed his number....lol
Lol, that's good. Ya F*** with the bull ya get the horns. My co-works and friends don't prank me cause they know they will get twice as bad.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Umm.... yeah I have more sympathy for the guy than other people here. Given your work "friend" was sending him messages like that maybe he thought he could handle but when he got there he got freaked out. Personally I would have laid down the line and slept with my hunting knife

It sucks that you got bailed on, I saw your post too and thought it was a very generous offer.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

Great offer. To bad it worked out the way it did.
Btw, I promise this will be a story told many many times in your hunting camps over the years. Someday this will be thought of as one of the better pranks you have had pulled on you.

Keep up the offers, I am sure it will work out.