Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 PM

Default Brock Lesnar's big whitetail shot in Alberta

I saw a hunting show today with Brock Lesnar the (Ultimate Fighter) and I believe it was the Eastern side of Alberta in some pretty rough terrian and he was hunting for a big mule deer the weather was terrible. The second day they spot this HUGE whitetail buck and he didn't have a whitetail tag so they said he passed. He ends up shooting a fairly nice mule deer but at the end of the show they said he went back with a whitetail tag and they found the deer and he shot it. The outfitter/ guide said it was the biggest buck he had ever saw. It did look like a giant but they didn't say how big or they didn't show a real good picture for very long. Does anyone know what this deer scored or did they see this show I'm talking about. I didn't get the name of the show I missed the first couple minutes. It was a real dandy. If anyone know I'd like to know or see another picture of this deer.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Banned

Doesn't matter, if that is Lesnars deer it'll never pass the urine test so the score won't count.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 PM

^ lol !!!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Default Pics

Here's pics of the mulie. Don't have any of the whitetail. The hunt took place in Milk River if I'm not mistaken.

a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg
g.jpg
h.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by Popcan; 09-28-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 PM

looks like both?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Boy, he sure hunts up here alot after slamming Canada. Can't stand him and his B.S.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 AM

HAHA yeah that may just be both, brock is awsome cant wait to watch him smash overeem live dec 30.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 AM

Ya he hunted the milk river area. There was quite a few people that were talking about it around Lethbridge for awhile.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:05 AM

Least he's huntin! AAAnd packin his $h!x out!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 AM

Those are some nice deer!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck19 View Post
looks like both?
Good-eye! young lady.....I was going to say there is a Mulie and A WT in those pics

LC
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 AM

Default mulie

Yea he went back after and found the white tail and shot it??????? Sounds like a nice way to say I shot it then went and got the tag.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 AM

slams are healthcare system and canada,,than comes here and hunts ,sure hope he gets sick again so we can send him 2nd class back to minnesota....
Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 AM

when you are worth millions and can pay for the best healthcare money can buy, canadian health care is a joke...hate to say it but its true....the guy could afford a private room at the mayo...cant say i blame him

two decent deer....love him or hate him.....its good to see public figures out enjoying the same sport we do...its good for us....too many celeb's go the PETA route
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM

"The second day they spot this HUGE whitetail buck and he didn't have a whitetail tag so they said he passed. He ends up shooting a fairly nice mule deer but at the end of the show they said he went back with a whitetail tag and they found the deer and he shot it."

This is a guided hunt, not a hunter/host hunt, right? But the guide didn't apparently have an allocation when he first saw the big whitetail.
Then suddenly he did the next day. Brock is a non-resident alien so he can't just walk into Crappy Tire and buy a general whitetail tag.
So whose allocation was it shot on? Are these guys allowed to broker allocations?
And who is the other guy in pics # 2 and #3?
I'm sure someone from APOS' legendary disciplinary committee can clear everything up.
There must be a simple explanation.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
"The second day they spot this HUGE whitetail buck and he didn't have a whitetail tag so they said he passed. He ends up shooting a fairly nice mule deer but at the end of the show they said he went back with a whitetail tag and they found the deer and he shot it."

This is a guided hunt, not a hunter/host hunt, right? But the guide didn't apparently have an allocation when he first saw the big whitetail.
Then suddenly he did the next day. Brock is a non-resident alien so he can't just walk into Crappy Tire and buy a general whitetail tag.
So whose allocation was it shot on? Are these guys allowed to broker allocations?
I'm sure someone from APOS' legendary disciplinary committee can clear everything up.
Its pretty simple outfitters know the other outfitters in their areas so they just have to make a few phone calls and see if someone has a tag available. Then brock pays a premium and puts a nice whitetail on the ground. From my understanding outfitters farm tags out they can't use to other outfitters for a premium.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM

I dont understand all the bashing. He shot some deer with a tag and you guys can play csi all you want but it appears to be under legal means maybe we should leave it that... unless you guys are looking in your closet for your peta shirts.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 AM

the mule deer video is on youtube.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM

Here's what the wildlife regs say about allocation transfers:

(2) An outfitter-guide (big game) may transfer all or any of his
allocations that are not of non-resident/non-resident alien trophy
sheep special licences to another outfitter-guide (big game)
specified by that outfitter-guide, if the Minister approves the
transfer.

Anyone know how easy it is to get "Minister approval" for an allocation transfer??
Is it just a rubber stamp? Or is there a formal process and what are the terms and conditions for a transfer?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 AM

My take is Brock wanted to hunt mule deer. Bought said mule deer tag from outfitter. They printed the tag all legal like. Saw huge whitey. Didn't have that tag printed or paid for. Went back to camp, set a price, printed a tag, shot a whitey. Pretty simple if you ask me.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM

There is a good chance that a WT allocation was available from the government. 102 still has 5 wt Outfitter allocations for 2011 that have not been purchased from the government.

The outfitter may have simply gone to the office and purchased an allocation, sold the licence to the hunter, and bang.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
There is a good chance that a WT allocation was available from the government. 102 still has 5 wt Outfitter allocations for 2011 that have not been purchased from the government.

The outfitter may have simply gone to the office and purchased an allocation, sold the licence to the hunter, and bang.
Actually it's APOS, not the government, that manages allocation transfers under it's legislated agreement with SRD.
See clause (d) of the wildlife Act regs.

By-laws
10 The Society (that's APOS) may make by-laws
(a) setting the charges for services provided by it,
(b) establishing the form of any license, permit or guide’s
designation to be issued by it,
(c) respecting the provision of guiding services, including
qualifications, restrictions and rights to enter into
agreements to provide such services,
(d) respecting the manner in which allocations are to be
distributed and transferred,
(e) respecting the manner in which licences, permits and
guides’ designations issued by it may be suspended or
cancelled,
(f) respecting the protection for deposits to be provided under
section 57(2) of this Regulation, and
(g) specifying the Society’s fiscal year.

What criteria this highly secretive outfit uses to allocate and transfer licenses remains hidden behind a members-only firewall on their website. Despite being a delegated authority of the Alberta government and specifically ordered to operate under the government freedom of information legislation.
So much for Stelmach's big accountability and transparency push.
But he's gone, isn't he.
So how did Brock get his tag? I'm sure the guy in pics #2 and #3 knows.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

there have been a couple of ways explained to do it neil. i have never been involved in outfitting or guiding in any way, but have friends who are. i know that tags are traded around quite often. with WB showing unspoken for tags, it is most likely that was the route chosen. do you honestly think that someone that high profile would risk doing something illegal that could easily be done with a few dollars legally?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post

I am not sure if I completely understand what you are asking but I will try to answer. If you are a outfitter and you want to buy or lease a tag you can. Why is it so hard to believe that a outfitter can find a white tail allocation in a day in hunting season. Lots of other outfitters that don't fill there spots that will lease tags throughout Alberta. And Brock spends more time in Canada than most of you may think. He owns a fair bit of land in south eastern Saskatchewan, and his brother and father farm a large operation on the other side of the boarder in manitoba. He is a top notch individual, who is a unbelievable athlete and a strong competitor. Never knock a guy until you drink beer and get to know him.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Since when did Chad Stryker get a guiding licence, or is he working for Dixson or another outfitter. I know he is the range rider for the Pinhorn.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Angry

Thanks for posting the pictures. But if I remember right the deer in the video looked like it had a lot darker rack. And you wouldn't have to hold it way out in front of you to take a picture to make it look bigger. It might be the same deer but I just wish I would have recorded the show. Honestly the buck looked bigger than that and looked like it had darker horns. I could be wrong. If anyone else saw or sees this video tell me what they think. Not saying the deer he's with isn't a big deer but the one on video looked like a giant and what the guide said about being the biggest whitetail he ever saw. If we could get the score it might clear it up. Maybe that deer is bigger than it looks. I know one thing I have never shot one that big.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM

Hey Popcan,

I see a whitetail then the mulie. SWEET DEER
Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 PM

And now this from the outfitter's website:

"Trophy Hunters Alberta has twice won the highly coveted Alberta Professional Outfitters Society award for the 'Largest Whitetail - Archery' on an outfitted hunt (out of 450 outfitters). THA owns 167 whitetail deer allocations, allowing THA clients to hunt whitetail deer throughout extensive areas of southern, south-western and west-central Alberta. Hunt Alberta in our extensive world class whitetail deer hunting zones covering over 15,000 square miles."

Wow, 167 is a lot of allocations.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
My take is Brock wanted to hunt mule deer. Bought said mule deer tag from outfitter. They printed the tag all legal like. Saw huge whitey. Didn't have that tag printed or paid for. Went back to camp, set a price, printed a tag, shot a whitey. Pretty simple if you ask me.
X2!
Who cares, he obviously paid a lot in the end and it brings a lot of money into the province.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Not really Neil, its not alot of allocations at all. How many resident w/t tags are available every year? Shes a mighty big number... Considering how many whitetails there are in Ab, how far they range, how resilient they are to human interaction and pressure and how suitable this province is for the species, we arent hardly making a dent in them. The southern portion of the province for sure,,, its tough to find whitetails where 10 years ago there was populations for years, but thats not due to outfitters, its due to SRD giving out WAY too many tags for these micro habitat areas and residents that cant help themselves and have to kill everything they can get a tag for. Edit, and hey by the way, Im not an Outfitter lover, just not completely oblivious to my surroundings,, like yourself for example... Man youve argued some real doozeys in the past, this isnt out of charachter for you at all...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er