Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Default Warranty problem at Turple Bros.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a brand new Honda 420 trail edition quad at Turple Bros. in Red Deer. With about 100 km on the bike the battery started to slowly deplete until finally it would,nt turn the engine over any more. When I brought it back to the dealer they tested the battery and the charging system. They said the charging system was fine, the battery was defective. They also said that this was not an uncommon problem. To speed up the process they asked me to pay for the battery and once the warranty claim was put through they would reimburse me. Since I was in a hurry to get back to my hunting camp I agreed. That was one week ago, today I called them to find out what was going on and they informed me that it was their policy not to warranty a battery even though it is a common problem with new bikes and quads! So needless to say I over paid for a battery at a dealership that never intended to reimburse me. Is this a Turple Bros. issue or is this common with all manufactures and dealerships?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:34 PM

If you used a credit card you can reverse the charges.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:09 PM

Comon problem everywere, not to many dealerships warrenty batteries. They should have told you that though.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Usually there's a 30 day on the batteries at the very least. Just for the sake of being a decent dealership they should have just given it to you for no charge
I'd talk to the owner about it and see what happens.....
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM

I don,t get it. The bike is brand new, the options on the bike (winch/handlebar heaters) were installed by them. So if the battery was shorted out they did it! Also they charged me more for that little battery than I would pay for one for my diesel truck. I only paid the price because they said I would be reimbursed, otherwise I would have gone to one of the wholesalers where I have an account and paid half the price. I guess when I buy something new I just assume when something from the manufacturer is defective they would replace it with a smile on their face.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Talk to the Manager and if he does'nt rectify the problem contact Hondas head office. Tell them you will never by another Honda product because of this. They might light a fire under the Dealers butt.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Wow that's a dirty trick.

What is it about some ATV/Boat/Bike dealers that they think they can (and do) get away with crap like that? Seems like a very poor business practice to rip people off, take forever to 'fix' stuff, or tell them to take their f-ing bike and f-off after causing body damage to it while it is in repair (true story).
Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 PM

I would take this as far as I possibly could, and make an annoyance out of myself until it was righted. The fact that they way overcharged is bad enough, but the lying takes it way over the top. For the record, I have heard other similar stories about that place, so i don't doubt you one bit.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 PM

I never buy anything from Turple Bros.Ihave bought all my Hondas from Robert Johanson at Ponoka.Always excellent service and good deals on his bikes.When he cant beat anothers price he will throw in extras.He is always fair and honest.And he will always look after any service issues you might have in a timely fashion.Turples ,not so much IMHO/
Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 PM

Turple's are notorious.
I will put in a plug for Trackside at Olds a great Honda dealer that has sold me several quads over the last 10 years.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 PM

I used to work for the Skidoo distributor back in the 70's and the fellow who started Turple was excellent to deal with, I guess things change with succession. I always junk the batteries that come with my quads or snowmobiles and attach one of those spiral wound car batteries that can be mounted in any position. Those tiny batteries can't handle cold weather or winches very well and they are junk, even the more expensive jel/mat batteries don't last long.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 PM

Default Batteries

We warranty our batteries for 90 days. We will extend it if it's close.
We have very few battery problems in our atv's (Arctic cat).
Bad batteries stem from not having properly charged them from the get go. Some dealers throw a battery on charge just before the customer gets the unit instead of when it was PDI'd . It might be enough to start the unit the first or second time but the charging system in the atv never really has a chance to fully charge the battery thereby giving it a slow death.
It sucks that that dealer did that to you. If you need something in the future, pm me and I'll see what I can do to sort you out.

Tullfan
Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM

I would contact honda ,as the quad would have a bumper to bumper warr.from them,also this would not be Turple Bro. first time dealing with a battery issue.I also deal with OLD'S Trackside,great guy to deal with.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Hondas do come with warranty, so I would be contacting Honda if the dealer won't honor the warranty. I usually get about three years out of an atv battery.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 PM

I know three friends/cousins who have bought quads there and all had waranty issues, and eventually had their problems fixed at other dealers.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM

This is good info. Thanks for posting. Anyone deal with power sports out in burnt lake industrial?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Pm me your information, I will give Gord Turple a call for you.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Just an update; I contacted Honda Cananda and they refunded my money with many apologies. While Turple Bros. took a screw you attitude, Honda Canada bent over backwards to right the wrong. I still believe that Honda builds a bullet proof product and will not hesitate to purchase another. I can assure you though, that it WILL NOT be from Turple Bros.!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Pm me your information, I will give Gord Turple a call for you.
I wish I would have saw your post before I contacted Honda, though I do not know Gord if he is anything like Glen I am sure he would have handled the situation swiftly and in house. That operation needs to be shaken up a little and get back to customer service.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM

If you want the battery checked out, go see my dad. www.thebatterydoctors.com

He's just east of Totem on the north end of the city. He'll do a load test on the battery and will let you know what shape its in.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:58 PM

You can speak with other dealerships, your warranty is good at any honda dealer really.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM

I was Gord's rep for 5 years, we got along fine. I am going to call him anyway, let him know they are getting a bad name pubicly.

He needs to address his concerns.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM

Default battery not bad

i bought a 800 r xmr quad from them and just played on sylvan lake all winter nothing hard first time i took it out west last weekend going up a mountain got 1.3 miles up there was a snow/ice drift i got through easily had about a five foot run at the next and it broke an axle or something. so i took it into turples. they told the step dad it would be warranty. so i asked him well when is it gonna be done. he said i dont know they are takeing bookings for end of may. so i stopped in there friday to see when it would be done. they got it on their work bench i guess but have to wait till monday to call can am to see if they will cover it. so i asked is this thing gonna brake an axle every time i want to go through snow. he said well it depends how hard you hit it. its snow/ice which equals no traction and no torque. how is it gonna get through any mud or skeg. if i have one regret it is buying anything from them there service sucks the only reason i got it there was because its close and easy. i couldnt find a salesman. and at ten hours they make you take it in for its first service which cost $360 then first time i take it out to see what its supposed te be able to do and it snaps an axle. rediculas i just hope monday or tuesday when i go in they have news i want to hear otherwise its time to make a scene.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Default others as well

after i bought the machine of course thats when i heard of horror stories about people getting serve there. i wont spend another dime in that place. for the most part everything they have can be found online for way cheaper. repairs i can make myself. i told them if warranty dont cover it dont fix it. im ready to go in there and just start yelling at someone
Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
If you want the battery checked out, go see my dad. www.thebatterydoctors.com

He's just east of Totem on the north end of the city. He'll do a load test on the battery and will let you know what shape its in.
I'll give your Dad some business,I have a dead battery in my Grizz right now that won't take a charge.
Will he charge extra if I mention your name?
Cheers
Old 04-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Default Patience Darrin

Seems to me that you are jumping the gun on the service/warranty rant. They have it "on their work bench" so give them a chance to fix it!
And how is it the dealers fault that you broke an axle?

Last edited by Walleye Willy; 04-29-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Turple Bros sells lots of product. They are a busy store.
I wont buy a quad from them but I will buy parts from them.

Warrenty on batteries is left to how crooked the dealer is. I bet they charged you for a new battery and took the credit for yours on warrenty. If it was within the period.

As for an axle breaking in the snow. Snow and ice are hard on quads. Plus lots of Power spells disaster on these things.
Canam has a great warrenty for their equipment.

The length of time for warrenty work sucks, but so few mechanics and so many bikes out there. I am trying to get some work done to my Suzuki but it is on a waiting list.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM

the thing is i bought new, to stay away from problems. i specifically asked them when i was looking at it yes its got a big engine big tires can the rest of the bike handle it. and of course they said oh ya just dont say hook on a tree and just sit there and spin the tires on hard grippy ground. however in mud snow, skeg not a problem. i bought it cause it came stock with what i wanted and is supposed to be made to handle it. cause i had a honda 680 with 27's and it lost all its power. and now im possibly in a fight for them to fix it. cause it was doing what the bike is made to do. i didnt get a 72hp quad with 30" silverbacks that the bike comes with to baby it up and down gravel roads
Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Simply said, don't buy anything from any Red Deer ATV dealers. It's as if they're doing you a favor. They are driven by entitlement. Turtle, RD Power Sports and Parkland...all the same. Best dealers are usually in small towns like LLBiche, Eckville or Wetaskiwin.

All at LLBiche is the man! Best Price, best customer service. I bought a 07 500 Foreman from him an he serviced it at no charge for the first year and he beat Turple in price enough to make it worthwhile to drive up there.

The Yammy dealer in RD SUCKS in every way! I can't believe they get away with the crap they pull... Had my rhino serviced there (clutch bearing) and they didn't put the CVT intake on. As a result it toasted the new bearing and packed the clutch with dust and mud. When confronted they denied the whole thing and wanted to stiff me for a redo. Took the rhino, told the to f off. The Wetaskiwin dealer made it all right and he is great to deal with....
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM

i totally agree small towns are the way to go as far as if you want service. and if you want to talk to someone who cares. big guys only care about makeing money. i just bought here cause it was close and easy. i couldnt even get a salesman i talked with the finance lady, and she assigned me a salesman. and every time i was in to look never got a salesman they were to busy talking and sitting on the sleds while i looked it over top to bottom
Closed Thread