Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 PM

Default Question about drinkin, peeing and flushing toilet

So me and a buddy are having a few drinks here tonight and of course the bladder needs to be releaved alot more often when you drink. So we got to talking about wasting water and how much water is used (almost 20 liters) to flush half a liter of urine. Seems like a huge waste. especially since after a few cold ones its pretty much clear anyway. So basically the question is how much water is wasted from people drinking and should you wait for a few uses before you flush?

or just go out behind the shed lol
Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 PM

Ummm a little to much to drink
Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 PM

If yer from the farm , if it's yellow you let it mellow and if it's brown you flush it down. If i am having a few i usually hold off on flushing cuz yer right .Toilets are huge water wasters !!And I always use a tree or the shed if i binn drinkin outside.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 PM

Not yet no, but this program was on tv about a world fresh water shortage and I got to thinking about how much water we flush away while havein a few suds lol
Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Not yet no, but this program was on tv about a world fresh water shortage and I got to thinking about how much water we flush away while havein a few suds lol
Go water a tree
Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 PM

Default It's a waste

I have two kids in the house, she's a flush Nazi, he's not.

Few months ago I unzipped and a toonie fell out of my pocket and into the Crane.
I told my son it was there after and without a flinch he went in for it.
Blah!
A true Scot!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 PM

Pee in the sink.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 PM

not that drunk yet lol, but thats sort of my point, do we really need to flush away that much water when you could just pee in the sink lol. it all ends up in the same place in the end lol
Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
If yer from the farm , if it's yellow you let it mellow and if it's brown you flush it down. If i am having a few i usually hold off on flushing cuz yer right .Toilets are huge water wasters !!And I always use a tree or the shed if i binn drinkin outside.
Ahhh yes, the ol' septic tank rules

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-23-2011, 11:38 PM

Where does the water go when you flush it? where does it go when you pizz on a tree?
Same place, into the water table. The soap you use to wash your cloths/dishes and yourself is, bye and large the bigger problem.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 PM

yea but theres a big difference in 4 guys peeing on a tree every 5 minutes versus 4 guys flushing 100 liters evey 5 minutes
Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 PM

Default Question about drinkin, peeing and flushing toilet

Quote:
So me and a buddy are having a few drinks here tonight and of course the bladder needs to be releaved alot more often when you drink. So we got to talking about wasting water and how much water is used (almost 20 liters) to flush half a liter of urine. Seems like a huge waste. especially since after a few cold ones its pretty much clear anyway. So basically the question is how much water is wasted from people drinking and should you wait for a few uses before you flush?

I thought you were just gonna ask if you had the order right.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
yea but theres a big difference in 4 guys peeing on a tree every 5 minutes versus 4 guys flushing 100 liters evey 5 minutes
What difference? The tree don't die in your back yard, but down stream is someone elses problem?
Your body fluids are organanic and will decompose, after time.
Too much of anything is harmful. Nature needs balance. Most of us are just far too out of touch with nature to see it.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

Put a 5 gallon pail in the garage. It freezes pretty quick in this weather and you can get rid of it when you take the empties back.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 AM

You could take a page out of Ray's book and go with the "High Definition P*$$ Jugs" trick...it's the way of the road boys.

Oh, and by the way Jimmy, don't tell anyone I'm living at the dump ok?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ray****jugs.jpg (85.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

The reason the old toilets flush a large amount of water is to have enough water to force the feces to the main sewer 30 ft out from the house , if theres not enough water it can become a dam half way to the main pipe and then you have to root it out or dig up your yard , thease new water saving toilets may sound good , but i see problems down the road with the issue l just mentioned , if you have a water saving toilet it would be a good idea to dumb some pailfulls of water down the toilet now and then to keep the sewer pipe clear.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Put a 5 gallon pail in the garage. It freezes pretty quick in this weather and you can get rid of it when you take the empties back.
Not a bad idea for pee savers.....I seem to remember TreeGuy saying it is good fertilizer for trees ?

Although, after reading that back when posted, I picked about 4 trees out by my shop. They didn't grow any better than the others. Yet.
I'll test it over time
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Banned

We are a civilized people. The more water you use the better. It's not like it disappears into the netherworld once you flush. It becomes part of the water cycle.

Look what happens when you let hippies run things the next time some flush nazi goes after you ... http://www.kron4.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=413

So, instead of using a decent amount of water to flush the toilets they are now going to pump a ridiculous amount of bleach into mother nature....all because some stinking hippies wanted to save some water.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
The reason the old toilets flush a large amount of water is to have enough water to force the feces to the main sewer 30 ft out from the house , if theres not enough water it can become a dam half way to the main pipe and then you have to root it out or dig up your yard , thease new water saving toilets may sound good , but i see problems down the road with the issue l just mentioned , if you have a water saving toilet it would be a good idea to dumb some pailfulls of water down the toilet now and then to keep the sewer pipe clear.
The issues are already happening, but the powers to be dont understand it and are still demanding the low flow toilets.

Then you have the people that need power flushes to clear their toilets.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 AM

I. B. T. L.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:03 AM

2 liter milk jugs work great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my buddy as the biggest spruce trees in town ' due to all that there watering ,but he also as the biggest carrots and tomato's which gets me thinkin.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:56 AM

wasted water...is kinda misleading.

water from the river goes into the human water system...water from the human water system...goes back to the river.

There is no water waste...per se but rather the cost to deliver and process and also the infrastructure capacity to deliver.

There is a certain need for a certain dilution level of effluent to process... The whole argument should be...how much is my water bill and is cutting down on flushes going to save me money?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 AM

I think the river will dilute the pee much more efficiently than a 1.7 gallon flush.....

LC
Old 11-24-2011, 08:33 AM

Just do what I did and install a urnial in the bathroom closest to your "mancave". I installed a urnial in a basement bathroom. talk about a water saver.

If you are considering as SDF says saving on your water bill, beleive me, do not worry about it. I had a customer in edmonton who owned an apartment building by NAIT and he was considering buying low-flow (dual flush toilets) for 36 apartments. total cost was $6,800. he brought in his waterbill and we removed the delivery and distribution charges and found the actual cost of the water. we divided it by 4 flushes a day per unit = 144 flushes a day and then divided that by the amount of water per flush. then we factored in the amount of water used by low flush toilets and it was around .003 cents per flush. it took something like 9 flushes to equal 1 penny worth of water.

of course all this goes out the window if you have to factor in a septic system or other factors.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:02 AM

The water savings programs are largely instituted by municipalities as an attempt to reduce the volume of water going through the water and sewage treatment plants. It all has to be treated before being piped to us or released back into the river; so the less volume they get there, the less new treatment facilities have to be built and operated at significant expense. The only way to do that effectively is to increase the cost of the water by volume, capitalism will take care of things from there.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
So we got to talking about wasting water and how much water is used (almost 20 liters) to flush half a liter of urine. l
I've seen toilets in "eco-friendly" places with stickers that read "If it's brown, flush it down. If it's yellow let it mellow". But you also really need to get a new toilet! Modern ones with high flush power use as little as 4 litres of water. I just installed an American Standard Cadet with the highest flush power available that uses 6 litres.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:14 AM

So far as performnce goes, Toto toilets are where its at. The proof is the outlet hole in the buggers, no manufacturer I`ve seen has a port the size of Toto, which you know means they`re going to plug. Most toilets tend to have a bit of a bottleneck restriction at the outlet, not so with Toto. It`s the brand I`d recommend for Ken, 220Swifty and BBJ
Old 11-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2YRDzpTL4
Old 11-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

I pee off my deck.Makes the wife mad but I think that`s just because she ain`t equiped for that.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I pee off my deck.Makes the wife mad but I think that`s just because she ain`t equiped for that.
Must be a pain to have to go outside every time you need to relieve yourself.